itsjustrobbiesjournalok UK Vegan Bodybuilding

So heres my intro.

Name: Robbie

Height: 5'10

Starting Weight: Stuck at 72kg (158lbs)

About me: Ex smoker, drinker and party animal turned health freak! In 2007 I gave up smoking and my life turned around. I've raced sprint and olympic level triathlons, ran 20minute 5k's and 42minute 10k's and cycled 155 miles in 9 hours. As a classic ectomorph I have always been small in frame and found adding muscle difficult. I did starting strength back in 07/08 and got to 75kg in bodyweight but the more I got into endurance sport the less weight lifting I did until it all stopped. I have struggled in the past with unsupportive partners too...

This time I am doing it right though! My goals are to add more muscle and get to a point where I can lean up a little (although I am far from fat) and although some strength gains would be nice my goals are mainly to look better. I have been back in the gym for about 3/4months and seen some good gains which appear to have stalled but as of the end of January are now going back up (thanks to a 4500 calorie workout day menu). My main focus for bodyparts is it have awesome legs (especially calfs) and freaky forearms!

I have been Vegan since December 2010 and although it makes bodybuilding hard sometimes - it is one of the most worthwhile decisions I have made (after quitting smoking) and has changed my outlook in so many positive ways.

I try to weigh myself on Saturday and Sunday to check my weight is going up but also judging on how I look in the mirror, will be measuring myself monthly as well.

Current PB lifts

Deadlift: 8 x 110kg (no straps only chalk)

Flat Bench: 8 x 60kg

Squat: 8 x 90kg (below parallel)

Current measurements in cm (inches) and are unpumped and not tensed. I'm doing these myself so how accurate they are I don't know!

Quad (right) - 57 (22.4)

Calf (right) - 36.5 (14.4)

Hips - 92 (36.2)

Waist - 86 (33.9)

Chest - 93 (36.6)

Shoulders - 108 (42.6)

Forearm (left) - 27 (10.6)

Bicep (left) - 31 (12.2)

Neck - 37.5 (14.

Workout schedule depends each week as I go to the gym before work (630am) and cannot go on a Tuesday or Thursday. But if the programme starts on a Monday it works like so...

Monday - Quads/Calfs

Tuesday - Rest

Wednesday - Chest/Biceps

Thursday - Rest

Friday - Back/Calfs

Saturday - Hamstrings/Triceps

Sunday - Abs **this day never changes**

Monday - Shoulders/Forearms

Tuesday - Rest

Wednesday - Repeat

I am currently doing 3 x 12 with a 60second rest between sets, reps are slow and controlled with a focus on good form and where possible I increase the weight each workout or do extra reps to keep the programme progressive.

Edited by itsjustrobbieok

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Todays workout, didn't feel to sharp for the gym - don't seem to be getting enough sleep for early morning workouts. I did manage to touch my toes with my legs locked and straight this morning though which is the first time I have as an adult! Nice that my stretching is showing some signs of progress at last; Building flexibility is such a slow process!

Flat Bench Press

*warm up sets*

8 x 52.5kg

8 x 52.5kg

8 x 52.5kg

8 x 52.5kg

Dips (chest forward)

8 x BW + 5kg

8 x BW + 5kg

8 x BW

8 x BW

Close Grip Bench Press

8 x 40kg

8 x 40kg

8 x 40kg

Calf Raise (on leg press)

15 x 75kg

15 x 75kg

15 x 75kg

Stretching

15mins

Edited by itsjustrobbieok

Back day today, deadlifts felt good although was surprised my grip felt like the weakest part (am 10kg off pb and have been doing lots of grip work) but it could just be an off day. Pull ups were wider than usual (had to do them from a different bar) so they felt harder that usual too and was not an improvement on last week. The barbell rows I'm still not sure on, I'm not hitting my chest on every rep so might drop a little weight to get this spot on and then work up. They are hard to do without putting a bit of upward swing in to cheat as well...

Having messed up by undercooking some of my food making it a bit dry and crunchy, eating my food has been a real chore. Tomorrow is a cook day though so will not make the same mistake again! I've been draining off my tofu a little too much too and its ended up a bit dry and lost some taste. I've spent all of this week off intermittent fasting and tomorrow is my weigh in day although I'm not expecting to see a gain (as I have eaten maybe 90% of my food). Its nice not having to squeeze all the food in at the end of the day now and its odd that when I was eating late at night I was waking with ravenous hunger - but since going back to a normal eating schedule I don't. Figure that one!

Deadlift

*warm up sets*

8 x 100kg

8 x 100kg

8 x 100kg

8 x 100kg

Pull Up (wide grip)

Barbell Row (pendlay style, deadweight from floor)

8 x 50kg

8 x 50kg

8 x 50kg

Also my .25kg micro plates have (finally) arrived so I can start increasing with smaller increments as I get closer to my PB lifts (and hopefully get some good steady progression out of my overhead press).

Sweet, also nice deadlifting @ 100!

I can tell this is going to be a great journal!

My Saturday workout is an extra day I have recently added to help with posture (face pulls), forearms/grip, biceps and triceps (I have mini arms) and my calves. Probably my favourite day if only because I have a bit more time than during the week. I'm considering moving back to a 3x12 rep range from next week too as I don't feel like I get the same growth out of 4x8.

Face pull

12 x 15kg

12 x 15kg

12 x 15kg

Barbell Wrist Curl

15 x 15kg

15 x 15kg

15 x 15kg

Dumbell wrist twist

12 x 10kg

12 x 10kg

12 x 10kg

Barbell Shrugs

12 x 85kg

12 x 85kg

12 x 85kg

Barbell Curl

12 x 25kg

10 x 25kg

12 x 20kg

Tricep Rope Pulldown

12 x 10kg

12 x 10kg

12 x 10kg

Farmers Walk

4 x 50kg (25kg in each hand gripped with a towel, each rep is a length of the gym - approx 20m)

3 x 50kg

3 x 50kg (without towel)

Plate Pinch

2 x 15kg (held to failure)

15 x 75kg

15 x 75kg

15 x 75kg

10-15mins Stretching

Interesting day today, switched back to a 3x12 and had forgotten how much those extra 4 reps hurt! Romanian deadlifts I'm still not sure on, I need more weight to feel it on my hamstrings but I'm not feeling 12 reps with the higher weight. Might try some straps with it and see how that goes - or maybe switch to leg curls. Overhead press is still the bane of my life although I have .25kg plates for microloading the weight up. Appetite has been a bit rubbish today, legs have left my stomach churning most of the day and my lunch had managed to dry out . Feeling a bit pants through getting one too many late nights too, 5/6 hours sleep is catching up with me...

Barbell Squats

12 x 80kg

12 x 80kg

12 x 80kg

Overhead Press

12 x 30kg

12 x 30kg

7 x 30kg

Romanian Deadlifts

12 x 60kg

12 x 60kg

12 x 60kg

Better day for eating today, back to my usual brand of lentils and they are much tastier - have cooked my rice slightly longer too so its nice and fluffy. Have increased my calories on training days now up to 4500 with the inclusion of some dextrose. Gym felt a bit pants again, still getting used to doing 3x12 and having to drop the weight a bit (oh the ego!)

Bench Press

10 x 50kg

12 x 45kg

12 x 45kg

Dips

10 x BW

12 x BW

11 x BW

Incline dumbbell flyes

12 x 7.5kg

12 x 7.5kg

12 x 7.5kg

Hanging straight leg raise

Had a good workout today, for the past few months I've been doing 120 seconds rest between sets but today I changed up to 60 seconds. I think from next week I will do this for all workouts and maybe add in another exercise. Today took a bit longer today for the actual workout (60minutes instead of 45) and I would like to continue this in the week. This will mean making sure I get to the gym for bang on 630am though. Got a decent earlyish night last night and feel all the better for it, also 2nd night of being back on ZMA and melatonin. Thursday evening I was asleep by 9pm but my stupid body decided to wake me up at 3am, hopefully getting into a routine of slightly earlier nights and getting more sleep will have some positive effects. Made a few tweaks to my diet today so will be eating slightly less "food" and little more supplements but hopefully it should help me get the food in me (the macros stay pretty much the same aside losing a little protein"

Close grip EZ curl

12 x 27.5kg

12 x 27.5kg

12 x 27.5kg

Tricep Pushdown (rope)

12 x 21kg

12 x 21kg

12 x 21kg

Face Pull

12 x 17.5kg

12 x 17.5kg

12 x 17.5kg

Barbell wrist curl (palm up)

15 x 17.5kg

15 x 17.5kg

15 x 17.5kg

Dumbbell wrist twist

15 x 10kg

15 x 10kg

15 x 10kg

Barbell Shrug

15 x 70kg

15 x 70kg

15 x 70kg

Farmers Walk (first set using towels to grip plates)

20kg x 4 lengths (approx 40m total)

Plate Pinch

15kg to failure

15kg to failure

15kg to failure

Calf Press

15 x 70kg

15 x 70kg

15 x 70kg

15 x 50kg

Hanging straight leg raise

Today has been a good day on all fronts, prepared everything for the day last night and an earlyish bedtime meant I felt pretty fresh in the morning. Was at the gym with time to spare at opening time so had a full hour to play with for a change (but this is what it will be like going forward...)

Workout was good bar feeling a bit queasy (my pre workout drink didn't settle so well). Squats made me feel like I wanted to puke more than ever before! Despite having a couple of toilet trips I found myself with some spare time at the end so added in an additional calf exercise. Without the loo breaks means I could possibly add another set in somewhere else too). Have moved to a 5day plan from today and have cut my rest periods down in half to 0 seconds. Today felt intense!

A couple of small tweaks to my diet have made 4500 calories a breeze today - long may this continue! I'm have previously found non workout days to be tricky to eat on (especially weekends) due to lack of routine so having more workout days should help this.

Another early night planned tonight, I feel quite empowered by getting home and prepping food for tomorrow straight away then eating dinner. Just need to iron now and get pre bed food in me and I should be good to go for 930. I guess to some it sounds like a crap life - but I am determined to make this work and the sleep/routine/preparation will all be worth it for the changes in the mirror. Anyone that makes negative comments is generally fat/lazy/unhealthy anyway. F*ck the haters!

Monday - Quads/Calves

Squats

*warm up*

12 x 75kg

12 x 75kg

12 x 75kg

Leg Press

12 x 50kg

12 x 50kg

12 x 50kg

15 x 70kg

15 x 70kg

15 x 70kg

Leg Extension (single leg)

12 x 15kg

12 x 15kg

12 x 15kg

Calf Raise (smith machine)

15 x 50kg

15 x 50kg

15 x 50kg

Today has been a good day on all fronts, prepared everything for the day last night and an earlyish bedtime meant I felt pretty fresh in the morning. Was at the gym with time to spare at opening time so had a full hour to play with for a change (but this is what it will be like going forward...)

Workout was good bar feeling a bit queasy (my pre workout drink didn't settle so well). Squats made me feel like I wanted to puke more than ever before! Despite having a couple of toilet trips I found myself with some spare time at the end so added in an additional calf exercise. Without the loo breaks means I could possibly add another set in somewhere else too). Have moved to a 5day plan from today and have cut my rest periods down in half to 0 seconds. Today felt intense!

A couple of small tweaks to my diet have made 4500 calories a breeze today - long may this continue! I'm have previously found non workout days to be tricky to eat on (especially weekends) due to lack of routine so having more workout days should help this.

Another early night planned tonight, I feel quite empowered by getting home and prepping food for tomorrow straight away then eating dinner. Just need to iron now and get pre bed food in me and I should be good to go for 930. I guess to some it sounds like a crap life - but I am determined to make this work and the sleep/routine/preparation will all be worth it for the changes in the mirror. Anyone that makes negative comments is generally fat/lazy/unhealthy anyway. F*ck the haters!

Monday - Quads/Calves

Squats

*warm up*

12 x 75kg

12 x 75kg

12 x 75kg

Leg Press

12 x 50kg

12 x 50kg

12 x 50kg

15 x 70kg

15 x 70kg

15 x 70kg

Leg Extension (single leg)

12 x 15kg

12 x 15kg

12 x 15kg

15 x 50kg

15 x 50kg

15 x 50kg

Link to diet (live link to google docs so if you follow this after today it could have been amended!)

There's quite a lot of dextrose in the morning and its pretty carb heavy. Dextrose is a pretty new addition to the diet so that might change up at bit, especially around the pre workout. No protein pre workout just because eating and training so early its going to make me feel like crap! Carbs aren't generally a problem for me as well and being vegan there aren't many low carb options!

I just want to see the scales going up and then I can adjust as it needs.

Yeesh, I am shattered! Long day today...

Pretty good gym session working chest and biceps although my shoulders felt like they go the biggest battering! Too much oil in my meals is making them a little hard to get in me (although it wasn't a problem before?) so some diet tweaks to lower the fat there and put other food in...

Barbell Bench Press

12 x 45kg

12 x 45kg

12 x 45kg

Incline Barbell Bench Press

12 x 30kg

12 x 30kg

12 x 30kg

Incline Dumbbell Press

12 x 10kg

12 x 14kg

12 x 14kg

Incline Dumbbell Flys

12 x 10kg

12 x 10kg

12 x 10kg

Ez Barbell Curl

12 x 22.5kg

8 x 27.7kg

12 x 22.5kg

Close Grip Chin ups

4/4/4

Yoga - 1.5hrs

Interesting, too much oil in your diet really has that strong of an effect? How much oil are you talking, and what types?

-Dylan

I add 15g of hemp oil into my meals - but I think Im a bit bored of the taste now, tried 5g tonight and it still felt like I was eating oil slick! Might take it out completely and put some EVOO into my shakes instead. Its just making eating more of chore!

I don't like non training days, eating food is such a chore! I've felt hungry but not bothered by food for most of the day. Maybe I've been eating too similar things for too long or are just not making it the same but it just doesn't taste so good. A lack of good meat replacements other than tofu that isn't full of carbs doesn't half depress me sometimes! I can't decide if I'm coming down with something too, felt pretty rubbish when I woke up but have perked up over the day. Pretty tired now though. Will schedule some weekend naps methinks!

Back and triceps tomorrow, that should ignite the hunger!

Interesting gym day today, back and calves and the first time I've had a back workout without deadlifting (still not sure how I feel about that!). Can't say I felt as drained as a normal back day despite the higher volume. Appetite is right back up as usual on workout day, maybe making my non workout days calorie deficient I can stick to what I want to eat and help stay lean as I gain weight. What ever I do I need to find a way to jazz up my standard meal a bit!! I also need to swap the smith calf raises for something else as I always feel it more in my quads despite the light weight - or maybe I just need to lighten the weight and up the reps.

Pull Ups

8/7/5

Dumbbell Row

12 x 16kg

12 x 16kg

12 x 16kg

Wide-Grip Lat Pulldown

12 x 35kg

12 x 35kg

12 x 40kg

Barbell Shrug

15 x 70kg

15 x 70kg

15 x 70kg

15 x 70kg

15 x 70kg

15 x 70kg

15 x 50kg

15 x 60kg

15 x 60kg

Ouch, my hamstrings and triceps are fubar'd! Nice workout and you have gotta love getting to the gym before everyone else does!

Straight legged deadlift

12 x 50kg

12 x 50kg

12 x 50kg

Romanian Deadlift

12 x 70kg

12 x 70kg

12 x 70kg

Tricep Push down (Rope)

16 x 21kg

9 x 24.5kg

12 x 21kg