Andrea's Training Journal

Hi everyone!

I've been lurking around here, and figured it's time I start a training journal! First a little background info: I have been vegan for just over 3 years, and for the past 7 months have eaten mostly a high raw diet. After graduating high school (before I went to vegan from veggie), I weighed 195lbs. I had been overweight my whole life, greatly due to a lack of exercise, and knowledge about nutrition, emotional eating and a family that overeats at every meal. For the past few years I've slowly evolved my diet and changed my relationship with food to be my fuel and not something to do when I'm bored. and started adding in some exercise to tone up. I've lost 65lbs since then. I've been keeping a training notebook since November, so I'm excited to start one on here! I mostly lift weights, elliptical, recumbent bike and mountain bike, and I run occasionally too. I have my first mountain bike race in two weeks, so I'm trying to get ready for that!

Today's workout:

50 minute mountain bike ride (Desert Classic at South Mountain, Phoenix AZ). I wish I could have gone longer but I took a nasty fall on some rock and decided to head back

60 second plank

2 pull ups-I'm a work in progress

That's all for now! Any tips and comments are greatly appreciated!

Andrea

@WickedRaw

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A little sore today after my fall yesterday, but I still managed to get a workout in! I need to build muscle mass in my legs so that they don't burn out as fast when I'm riding, any recommendations?

reverse close grip pull downs:65lbsX8, 65lbsX8, 65lbsX8

wide grip pull downs: 65lbsX5, 55lbsX6, 35lbsX12

tri push downs: 35lbsX7, 35lbsX5, 15lbsX15

direct chest press: 35lbsX8, 45lbsX5, 35lbsX6

leg extensions: 35lbsX8, 35lbsX10, 35lbsX12

leg press: 65lbsX15, 75lbsX10

Andrea

Short workout today, tomorrow I plan on biking and doing some upper body/core

30 minutes of tennis with my husband

one set of suicides on tennis court

8 push ups

later in the day:

60 second plank

20 sit ups

1 pull up

25 dumbell squats (dont have weights so I used a bundle of bananas in each hand)

15 squats

Oh hey now I totally get the whole "wicked" and "runnah" thing. I saw you guys were living in AZ and was kinda confused. Didn't realize you were from NH, it all makes sense now. I grew up outside of Boston. Weather up theyahhh is so retaaahhhded, I was in Concahd last week, it was in the thirties or fohhties every day.

Haha, Ben! Gotta represent New Hampshahh!

I got in an hour and a half of mountain biking this morning. It felt great! I got passed a ton, but that just gave me the chance to watch their technique which helped a lot. I still need to work on my climbing technique, but I'm getting better. Every time I had to bail on a climb section, I walked my bike back down and tried again, and again until I made it up. Tomorrow is my rest day. Sunday I'm going to do a ride on the course I'll be racing on next week. I'm going with a seasoned racer, and she's gonna give me some pointers, which I'm super stoked about!

Andrea

Did a 13 mile trail ride (about 1 hour 45 minutes) on the track I'm racing on next week today. The race is 10 miles long, but I did the beginning portion an extra time in the beginning. The track is 3 loops that connect to each other (sport, tech, then long). The sport loop was super flowy and fast! The rider I went with was recovering from a 12 hour race from yesterday, and she still kicked my butt! It was nice having a buddy because it definitely made me push harder to keep up. I made it up the uphill portions that I burned out on last time, which was sweet! Had to pop it into a granny gear, but hey whatever works. There were a lot of riders out today, which I have to admit was pretty intimidating at first, but everyone was pretty nice. I think they could smell my newbie-stank so they were extra outgoing

Nicole thinks that I should shoot for 1hr5mins for my time, so I'm gonna go back this week and see if I can work on it.

Andrea

I went out and rode the course for the race this weekend again. I managed to power through almost all the uphill sections which made me sooo happy! My balance/coordination is improving which rocks, gives me much more confidence. I did it in 1:14 so pretty close to my goal time! Saturday I hope to shave some time off, I'm sure the adrenaline will help with that. I've got 5 other girls in my class so I want to do well. I'm going to be resting until Saturday, just to be sure my legs are ready to rumble! I'll post tomorrow with a photo of me and my bike and my jersey!

Andrea

My race is tomorrow! I'm wicked excited/nervous! I rode hard on Wednesday, so I'm taking it easy until tomorrow. We just loaded up on more fruit, so I'm going to be eating nice and light today. I made the best smoothie yesterday, and it was just the good old bananas and spinach combo with ice and water. It hit the spot like nobody's business.

There are more races coming up, and I want to sign up for at least a couple more if I can afford it!

Today was race day!

Last night and this morning I was so nervous making sure my bike and everything were all set. Once I got to the track I could feel the adrenaline start pumping. It was seriously the most fun I've ever had! I shaved 4 minutes or so off of my practice run time, not bad considering the track was packed with racers (from marathoners to first timers like myself). I ended up coming in 4th out of 5 for my class!

I'm glad I didn't come in dead last, but I'm also glad that I even finished! Hell, I'm proud that I even signed up to race! It was intimidating for me, but now that I've got my feet wet there's no going back!

Start line

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Jasio998/IMG_1116.jpg

Finishing

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Jasio998/IMG_1128sm.jpg

With a fellow Team Beads of Courage rider!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Jasio998/IMG_1131.jpg

Andrea

Definitely going to be doing more, Ben!

The more experienced racers were super nice on the track too. Lots yelled some words of encouragement my way as they blew past me. There is another race in two weeks that I might sign up for. I want to pre ride it first and see how it is. I found a sweet non profit bike shop in town that teaches you how to fix your bike and stuff for free! I'm going to be stopping in this week to check the place out.

I need to get back on track with my eating this week. We ran low on money last week and resorted to tofu scramble w/veggies. It was good but I feel so much better I've got tons of fresh fruit instead.

Here are some more pics from my race

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Jasio998/398766_2622182311396_1160361821_32228364_1813756363_n.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Jasio998/393736_2622185311471_1160361821_32228369_117393185_n.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Jasio998/392001_2622185671480_1160361821_32228371_1856390951_n.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Jasio998/405196_2622185911486_1160361821_32228372_1425422978_n.jpg

Andrea

Decided to do a one day fast today, just to reset my body a bit after indulging lately. I've had two apples, a banana and lots of water and a couple synergy kombuchas. i felt hungry around 4:00pm or so, but now not so much. Tomorrow I'll welcome my green smoothies back with open arms.

There's another race I might be doing, on the weekend of the 28th. I'm going to pre ride it tomorrow to see how it is! It's two loops of about 4.84 miles. I've heard there's a rough climb after 3 miles or so into it so we'll see how I do

Andrea

• 2 weeks later...

I had my second race this past Saturday! It was a really fun course! Unfortunately, the day before, our car was in the shop so I ended up having to bike around 25 miles around town. My legs were pretty tired for the race, but I did well considering! I came in 4th out of 4 in my category (CAT 3 19-29). I made it up some spots that I got hung up on during my pre-ride, so at least I'm making progress. My next race is Feb 25th. I'm glad I've got a little time to train for it.

Any mountain bikers here with some training ideas?

Andrea

I rode about 14 miles of mountain bike trails yesterday. The first 2 miles was an easy junior loop, followed by a more technical 10 mile loop, then the junior loop again. The long loop was a little out of my skill set, but it was a good challenge and I got a good workout! My balance has improved. My race on Feb. 25th is 5 laps of the junior loop which shouldnt be too bad.

Today I did about 30 minutes on the exercise bike at the gym, just an easy recovery ride. Then did some back weight exercises (don't have my sheet with me).

Thursday I should be going on a 17 mile road ride with a friend, the last 3 miles of it being a nice climb.

• 2 weeks later...

Did a 17 mile road ride on Tuesday. My friend, Carol has a road bike and kicked my ass! It was a great ride! I was going to do another race this weekend, but we're tight on cash so I'm waiting for the next one. The course for CAT3 wasn't really challenging anyway so I don't think I'm missing much. Jason and I are gonna go riding on Saturday at a local track instead!

Last week I did 30 minutes on the elliptical and about a half hour of weight training and a cool down on the recumbent bike. Today I'm heading out for a run with my dog around the neighborhood.