Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Rippedveg's Training Journal
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:08 pm 
Rabbit

100 jump rope, 90 squats, 80 crunches, 70 lunges, 60 push-ups, 50 box jumps, 40 sumo high pulls, 30 wall balls, 20 full burpees, 10 pullups.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:06 am 
Rabbit

In serious pain. Of the good kind.

Today my gym had a ALS fundraiser. Members could join a workout for a donation. So I signed up to day a class that was team led by Dustin and Helen, a trainer who is so strong and so effective that other trainers hire her. She's a lot of reps with challenging weight in a short time. My husband would be interested in training with her and I have long been curious, because I've seen Scotty, a trainer I work with from time to time, after finishing a session with her.

So today I did regular small group with began with an agility warm up: light jog, skips, lateral shuffles, frankensteins, drum major steps, high knees, lunges w/ side stretch, backwards skips. From there it was squat to hamstring stretch (miserable but I need it), side planks with 5 pound weights and small circles over head and in front, then switched circular direction, side planks w/ 5 pound weight with wrist rotation overhead and in front, then side plank with 5 lb weight, hug, and reach overhead. Of to deadlifts, increasing weight & decreasing reps alternated with side cuts and leap. So I started with 65 pounds and 16 lifts and 24 cuts, 75 lbs and 12 lifts & 16 cuts, 100 lbs, 8 lifts and 8 cuts. Stretch. One hour.

The next hour started with more dynamic stretches. Then a few warm ups of the exercises to follow: dumbbell squat & clean, burpees, and kettlebell swings. Our pattern was 4 squat and clean (a complex exercise which challenges my timing), 8 burpees, and 12 swings. We went for 10 minutes I finished 8 reps, squeezing in my last swing as the buzzer rang. I used only a set of 12 pound dumbbells for the cleans and I used a 20 kg kettlebell. I did the most reps in the group.

There was a woman, Marsha, who turned 65 in the group. When I returned from reracking kettlebells, she said, "I don't want to watch you doing this routine."

I said, "I work out a lot."

"You blew through this."

"I have 21 years on you. You shouldn't compare yourself to me. It's not the same."

And that's the thing--we all have strengths and weaknesses. I'd love to be working at this level at 65. Hell, I'd love to be working at her level at 65. I mean, how many 65-year-old women do you know who do burpees and kettlebell swings? I know two.

There was also another spin/pilates/strength instructor in the group. Before we started. We know each other and she asked if I was starting on my second or third hour of exercise that day.

Little harder to write here as much as I was. Still training for Cinderella. Still taking small group. Next week I'm adding two indoor cycle plus strength classes. So I will have four classes until the end of March. I am doing a long Sunday ride with one of my cycle students to prep for Cinderella. She thinks she may possibly ride the 90-mile-challenge. Plus keeping my house clean, caring for my American bulldog, cooking (from scratch, whole foods), and having a relationship with my husband and writing my actual blog, listening to music and planning my classes!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:40 pm 
Site Admin

Hope all is well.

All the best with your training!

-Robert

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1