Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Beginner
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:28 am 
Gorilla

Just be patient (I know that's hard!) and keep at it!! :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:33 am 
Rabbit

woohoo! I looked this morning and it shows 5 pounds instead of the three earlier this week! Patience will be my friend, lol. I stair-stepped for 25 minutes after supper last night and snacked on a plain yogurt (I am slowly transitioning to soy yogurt because it is hard to find here in this area) with local honey (1t) and oat-granola (1T). I am still drinking my green smoothies in the am and sometimes later for a snack along with fruit, sunflower seeds, veggies, etc when feeling the need to nosh.
I am not journaling diet and exercise consistently so I placed my notebook beside my computer so I am more consistent.
Thank-you so much for you encouragement and support!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:41 am 
Gorilla

Awesome! Good for you!

I'm finding that journaling here everyday this month is really helping me with consistency and accountability in exercise and diet. I've also found people to be really super encouraging and helpful.

Keep up the great work and attitude!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:51 am 
Rabbit

Hi I have been having a nose around these forums and came across yours.

David and Karen have been very supportive for me as well and they offer really good advice. I just wanted to add my 'twopence worth' if you don't mind. There is a really good book called 'Vegan for Life' by Jack Norris RD and Ginny Messina RD. They show how you can transition to the diet in a very healthy way as well as debunking some of the common misconceptions. It is also written in a way which is not pushyor 'in your face'. I found it to be very helpful.

Anyway hope you have a great weekend and it's good to see you here in this forum.

Doug

http://www.my-healthy-lifestyle-choices.com

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:21 pm 
Rabbit

Hi, VeganDougie!
It is nice to met you. love to read and will check it out on Amazon.com.
Your 'twopence' worth is very welcome here, lol. I am the new kid on the block here so I just accept all info, factor it in, and use what I am able to apply as I can. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:17 pm 
Rabbit

Well, guys, I am heading into 4 weeks at this. I cannot seem to shake yogurt and half-half for coffee. i am considering saying good-bye to coffee and permanently switching to tea. I am also going to join a local gym beginning in Feb and go at it FT, lol, or at least daily for 30-60 minutes. I initially lost some weight but then began putting it back on, however adjusting to this new way of eating will take a bit as I try and balance my food groups. I am not worried.
Thanks to everyone who has shown support the past couple of weeks.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:38 pm 
Rabbit

Hi Glais,

Hope you are doing ok. Have you tried soy yogurt - i love it. I also found on you-tube some recipes for home made vegan yogurts, can't say i have tried them myself but they looked interesting. It might help to substitute for these to help ease into the lifestyle without feeling like you are missing out.

Any way hope you keep posting and experimenting with the food, good luck with it.

http://www.my-healthy-lifestyle-choices.com

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:05 pm 
Rabbit

I received my PETA 'starter kit' and it was really helpful regarding substitutions for dairy and meat products. i also saw some Youtube vids on 'yogurt'making I want to try. One was using soaked almonds and making almond 'yogurt'. I am coming along pretty well and my husband is liking what I prepare, too.
I am going to keep posting, experimenting, and working toward better health. my goal is lowers sugar, cholesterol, BP, & etc...
Thank-you for your support and encouragement, Doug!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:50 pm 
Gorilla

Hey there, Glais! Yeah, I was also going to suggest soy yogurt, which I think is really good. I'm not as big a fan of almond yogurt as I used to be. But, if you're into making your own, maybe it wouldn't be half bad! And there are more than a few non-dairy coffee creamers, if you're interested in trying them, including flavored coconut milk creamers. Yumm!!

If you have any specific questions or need advice, I'm happy to help out if I can, so feel free to reach out! I'm subscribed to your journal here, so post here or in my journal, or private message me, etc.

How is your fitness aspect going?

Good luck!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:01 pm 
Rabbit

I tried the coconut milks/creamers and I am going to try one of the non-dairy creamers. I like soy-yogurt but it is difficult to find here without paying and exorbitant price in comparison. However, hope springs eternal, lol, and I am going to be asking one of my local stores to carry it.
Well, my fitness is limping along as I try to do 30 minutes a day. However, it takes about 3 weeks to make or break a habit. Since I have the food pretty well moving along I am now going to concentrate on the fitness by joining a local gym by the month.
I feel so good knowing I have the support of this forum. You guys really buoy me up when I am feeling like giving in. Thank-you, Kareno. I may take you up on your offer.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:10 am 
Gorilla

Where do you live, if I may ask? The best yogurt I've found so far is WholeSoy & Co. (hello, key lime!) You can check it out here, and they have a store locator, as well: http://www.wholesoyco.com/store-locator. I see a downloadable request form there, too. Good luck with that! :D