Beginner

I turned 55 in November. I am an out of shape version of my once athletic self. Recently I have been dabbling with becoming vegan or vegetarian because of having to refashion my year-old Bloodhounds' diet after the male was diagnosed with genetic hip dysplasia. My husband often jokes we are eating the dogs' food, but why should they (brother and sister) eat healthier than we do?

My first husband was a former body-builder who died of cancer in 2003. This is my second marriage. I had 30 fantastic years with hubbie number one. While I do not expect to have 30 with this wonderful guy I want to go the distance for as long as possible.

I also work with individuals who have dementia in all its various forms. Diet is one area I see where there is not a lot of attention given beyond basic food pyramid guidelines though moderate exercise is stressed. The standard meat, carbs, dairy, veg, fruit diet has been losing its appeal for me. Eating correctly and maintaining a fit body will go a long way to strengthening my mind.

I am in my senior year of college. That was step number one to completing a very old goal. The second is not to become old before I am ready, which I hope I never am THAT ready.

So... this old dog has to learn some new tricks. This is a bit of a scary step, but I am hoping this regimen and blog will be my new beginning.

So proud of you! You're definitely on the right track and by the sound of it you have a strong sense knowing yourself as well as patience. Every day you keep yourself in focus and your needs important while filling mental voids with positivity. Keep it strong.

David

Thank-you, David.

I just sent a link to my husband so he can check it out. My first husband was practically vegan when he died so it would not be hard for me, but I am unsure about my current husband. However, my husband likes to think out of the box and try new things. He is also very vocal about animal abuse and abandonment, as am I. I think he will try the move.

I am excited and not sure where to begin. Any suggestions? I want to begin with the basics and build upon them. What is considered 'basic' or beginning?

I would consider introducing a green drink into your day then slowly build up from there is a great basic foundation. What I found after a while is my body was not influenced by animal products. Immersing your free time by reading and watching every and anything Vegan because there is nothing like the power of knowledge. It can strengthen you as well keep you prepared for when friend or family ask questions. Keeping positive is the main key, try not to lose yourself in politics while maintaining your connection to health and well fair. I started to bake and cook all the comfort foods me and my family are used to having, they had no idea there was no egg or animal butters. This eased them into the concept and took the foreign feeling away from it. In fact I brought my Vegan chocolate-chip cookies to a kids birthday party and every single kid ravaged them not even leaving a crumb. Many of the mothers were asking me what I used and when I said they are Vegan they became more interested. All though my wife still eats meat the times I continue to this day make her a green drink and share the time drinking it with her, she is now learning how to cook vegan and realises how important it is to me. My patience was tested but proved to be setting me ahead. After she watched "Forks Over Knives" it got her brain turning and now her father is very interested. Watching that movie helps as it's not gory or does not confront negative feelings. Be a true example and your environment will soon follow.

Being social like you're doing kept my flow going; So, your on the right track. This is Awesome and let's keep connected.

Robert Cheeke's book as well as Veganomicon and Crazy Sexy Diet are great books to start but I have many more to tell you about.

Keep positive and always ask questions if you need an answer.

David

Thank-you for your encouragement. I spoke to my dad about it today. He told me he has gone partially vegetarian - only fish and eggs and some chicken. It is for health reasons. He said no red meat except for chicken and that may eventually change, too. Dad is 79 and tapering slowly. He is physically very active and also active in his community so it is important his diet be beneficial. Needless to say, he was supportive of my decision and encouraging.

I walked about 4 miles today, which was a start. I would have done more but it began to rain so I ran some errands and came home and played with my hounds before making supper.

Tonight I made vegetarian red beans and rice I modified from a Paul Prudhome recipe that used meat. I decided not to use soy crumbles or any meat substitute. It was pretty good. I substituted red tomatoes with chilies for any meat flavoring and added poultry seasoning to my spice mixture to give my husband the feel of having some sort of meat in the beans and it worked.

I did give in and make the coleslaw with mayo per my husband's request. He cannot wrap his head around grape seed vegenaise. To a half head of cabbage I added ground walnuts, ground flax seed, a chopped onion and apple, chopped olives, and chopped celery in addition to shredded carrots. I used Annie's Natural Organic French Dressing and cider vinegar with sea salt and ground pepper to taste. Sort of a meal in itself and not much needed to accompany the beans and rice. The Annie's can be used alone in place of mayo, actually. if I had thought of it I would have. I did not check to see if it was vegan only that it was organic and gluten-free, which is not the same.

So, for my first meatless (almost), how did I do? I found my portions were smaller and I filled up faster. I was satisfied and did not want more than necessary to fill me.

David, how do you make your choc chip cookies, if I can ask. I am not a big sweets fan but my husband is and it sound like something he might like. Also, how do you prepare your green drink and what is one serving amount and calorie-wise?

Have a good evening!

Hi Glais! Welcome to the VBB forum, and congratulations on your journey towards a vegan diet! As I was reading your top post, I was going to suggest to you to watch the film "Forks Over Knives," but I see that David already did that! It's a great movie, and you should definitely check it out. You can get it from http://www.forksoverknives.com, Amazon, or even watch instantly on NetFlix. Very scientific and informative, and it's changed so many people's lives!

Sounds like you're off to a great start! Some people make the switch overnight and some people ease into it. Either way, keep at it!

All the best,

Karen

If you're looking for cookie recipes, Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar has some great ones. (A few sample recipes are here: http://www.theppk.com/books/vegan-cookies-invade-your-cookie-jar). However, most have to be modified if you want GF.

http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/ has a lot of vegan recipes (including cookies) that are already gluten free. (Not everything on her site is vegan though).

I'm not sure what recipe David uses, but for chocolate chip cookies, I've always been a fan of the Toll House recipe..

Switch out a vegan substitute like Earth Balance for butter...ener-g egg replacer for the eggs (and note - you do need to mix the replacer with its water in a separate bowl *Before* adding to the other ingredients - trying to throw in the powder and water individually never works properly..)

Good luck!

Update:

The Toll House details - http://www.idausa.org/vegandays/comp_cook.html

This site: http://www.chooseveg.com/vegan-food-pyramid.asp has some good basic nutritional info for new vegans

Thank-you, Lola. I love Earth Balance but have never baked with it. Thank-you for the sites and the tips. My husband sometimes gets a sweet tooth on the weekends or late at night (He is recovering from two shoulder surgeries and sleeps when he can.) so I try to have healthy but yummy snacks for him. I love to bake but try to keep my goodie-output at a minimum, lol. I will check out those sites when I get home this evening.

Well, day three and doing ok so far. I made a yummy green drink fro breakfast, am getting ready to meditate, and will take my coffee & silk to work. I am also keeping a journal of food, exercise, meditation, and backsliding (what I did and for what reasons to track myself and make corrections).

Hi Glais!

We're halfway through the New You for the New Year Challenge! How are things going for you? I don't see any posts from you for the past week or so, but I hope you've kept up with your fitness and health routine!

Hope you're off to a happy and healthy 2012!

All the best,

Karen

Lol! Thank-you, Robert! I am trying to get in 30 minutes of aerobic exercise or vigorous walking daily.

My diet has been delicious. I am beginning vegetarian with some milk and eggs and going slowly, but have introduced Rice and Soy cheese into our diets and my husband loves them (he was recently diagnosed with lactose intolerant IBS). I am eating Smart Dogs and veggie burgers, a bit of fish, but not much, green foods, a variety of fruits and vegetables, laying off simple carbs and experimenting with grains other than wheat!!!

Wow! I think I am doing okay. I have already lost about 3 pounds and even attended a company retreat over the weekend where I was served vegan meals!!!

I AM off to a healthy 2012! And I feel great. I do not miss too much about eating meat, but do confess I REALLY miss bacon! However, I have been told I will get over it, lol.

Thank-you, again. I really looked forward to opening your post!

I still feel soooooo fluffy, lol. And ooooold. I guess it piles on before we realize it has taken so long and then when we want it off yesterday the out-of-shape fluffiness appears to stay like a late winter snow, lol. I keep telling myselg one day at a time, heehee. Thnx!

woohoo! I looked this morning and it shows 5 pounds instead of the three earlier this week! Patience will be my friend, lol. I stair-stepped for 25 minutes after supper last night and snacked on a plain yogurt (I am slowly transitioning to soy yogurt because it is hard to find here in this area) with local honey (1t) and oat-granola (1T). I am still drinking my green smoothies in the am and sometimes later for a snack along with fruit, sunflower seeds, veggies, etc when feeling the need to nosh.

I am not journaling diet and exercise consistently so I placed my notebook beside my computer so I am more consistent.

Thank-you so much for you encouragement and support!

Awesome! Good for you!

I'm finding that journaling here everyday this month is really helping me with consistency and accountability in exercise and diet. I've also found people to be really super encouraging and helpful.

Keep up the great work and attitude!

Hi I have been having a nose around these forums and came across yours.

David and Karen have been very supportive for me as well and they offer really good advice. I just wanted to add my 'twopence worth' if you don't mind. There is a really good book called 'Vegan for Life' by Jack Norris RD and Ginny Messina RD. They show how you can transition to the diet in a very healthy way as well as debunking some of the common misconceptions. It is also written in a way which is not pushyor 'in your face'. I found it to be very helpful.

Anyway hope you have a great weekend and it's good to see you here in this forum.

Doug

Hi, VeganDougie!

It is nice to met you. love to read and will check it out on Amazon.com.

Your 'twopence' worth is very welcome here, lol. I am the new kid on the block here so I just accept all info, factor it in, and use what I am able to apply as I can.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, guys, I am heading into 4 weeks at this. I cannot seem to shake yogurt and half-half for coffee. i am considering saying good-bye to coffee and permanently switching to tea. I am also going to join a local gym beginning in Feb and go at it FT, lol, or at least daily for 30-60 minutes. I initially lost some weight but then began putting it back on, however adjusting to this new way of eating will take a bit as I try and balance my food groups. I am not worried.

Thanks to everyone who has shown support the past couple of weeks.

Hi Glais,

Hope you are doing ok. Have you tried soy yogurt - i love it. I also found on you-tube some recipes for home made vegan yogurts, can't say i have tried them myself but they looked interesting. It might help to substitute for these to help ease into the lifestyle without feeling like you are missing out.

Any way hope you keep posting and experimenting with the food, good luck with it.

I received my PETA 'starter kit' and it was really helpful regarding substitutions for dairy and meat products. i also saw some Youtube vids on 'yogurt'making I want to try. One was using soaked almonds and making almond 'yogurt'. I am coming along pretty well and my husband is liking what I prepare, too.

I am going to keep posting, experimenting, and working toward better health. my goal is lowers sugar, cholesterol, BP, & etc...

Thank-you for your support and encouragement, Doug!

Hey there, Glais! Yeah, I was also going to suggest soy yogurt, which I think is really good. I'm not as big a fan of almond yogurt as I used to be. But, if you're into making your own, maybe it wouldn't be half bad! And there are more than a few non-dairy coffee creamers, if you're interested in trying them, including flavored coconut milk creamers. Yumm!!

If you have any specific questions or need advice, I'm happy to help out if I can, so feel free to reach out! I'm subscribed to your journal here, so post here or in my journal, or private message me, etc.

How is your fitness aspect going?

Good luck!!

I tried the coconut milks/creamers and I am going to try one of the non-dairy creamers. I like soy-yogurt but it is difficult to find here without paying and exorbitant price in comparison. However, hope springs eternal, lol, and I am going to be asking one of my local stores to carry it.

Well, my fitness is limping along as I try to do 30 minutes a day. However, it takes about 3 weeks to make or break a habit. Since I have the food pretty well moving along I am now going to concentrate on the fitness by joining a local gym by the month.

I feel so good knowing I have the support of this forum. You guys really buoy me up when I am feeling like giving in. Thank-you, Kareno. I may take you up on your offer.