Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79 ... 84  Next
 Post subject: Re: Robert's Training Journal - A Tale of Yeah's and Buddy's
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:24 am 
Mastodon

xjohanx wrote:
Hey mate. Glad you are benching and stuff but I would stay away from the decline bench. The risk for thrombosis is actually quite large. Decline bench doesn't really give you any benefits either. Dips seems to be a much better excersise for building lower chest. Stick to flat and incline :D

Aww man you post all this good legit info, then talk about building the lower chest at the end.

:(

335 Squat

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:47 am 
Elephant

Sorry mate. But you can't deny the lower part of the chest, pars abdominalis. I'm not at all saying isolate it or even try to I'm actually saying the opposite. The fibers do have a different origin (the upper part of abdominus) and EMG-tests show that they are activated in various degrees depending on the excersise. I'm not saying do dips to train your lower chest really, just that dips is a great excersise for overall chest development and it takes care of the lower part. Flat bench does too but not as much.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:11 am 
Mastodon

xjohanx wrote:
and EMG-tests show that they are activated in various degrees depending on the excersise.

I'd like to see said emg-tests. Not saying you're wrong really, just that I haven't seen proof. Now if you'd have said isolate lower chest, there may be a problem. :)

335 Squat

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:57 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks guys....I'm working with as many dumbbells and barbells and free weights as I can these days.

Life is crazy so like usual, I can't dedicate 100% to training since I'm writing books and traveling every few days to a new city, but I am pushing it hard!

Off to the gym now....gotta stay Swol the best I can.

Earlier this year I didn't miss a workout for 6 months! Trained 5 or 6 days a week for 6 months and did 5 shows and had a ton of fun....working on doing the same amidst a lot of crazy hectic stuff now too :)

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:50 pm 
Site Admin

Biceps and triceps yesterday.

Trained with another competitive bodybuilder and had a good time doing lots of curls and free weight exercises, extensions, dips and all that.

Gotta go!

YB!

RC

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:44 am 
Site Admin

I trained chest tonight in Salt Lake City and it was awesome! Bench press, incline dumbbell press, some machines, some cables, etc.

It's been a crazy week of being in Boston, Cambridge, Portland, Corvallis, and now Salt Lake City all in the past 7 days, but I've loved all of it!

Check out this radio interview when you get a chance. I say some pretty cool things when I come on at the end of the show:

http://veganradio.com/archive.php?num=84

About time to go to sleep and get up and head to the gym tomorrow before giving my talk to about 250 people in Salt Lake City. PUMPED!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:05 am 
Site Admin

Trained back and shoulders and then gave a talk to 200+ people in Salt Lake City and saw a few forum members there too which rocked!

Good sets of pull-ups and overhead presses today...also tossed in some bicep curls and some triceps work too, but mostly rows for back, pull-downs, lateral and front raises and overhead press for shoulders....way past bed time....been racing around busy all day in UT each day I've been here.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:39 pm 
Elephant

Hey buddy. Yeah it was good seeing ya in Boston. Too bad I couldnt stay longer and talked to ya like we did in Phoenix.

Sorry I didnt call ya back. Love how your voicemail was all about your book and tour. LoL

Classic Robert Cheeke Style.

Lets see some more workouts. I need some more motivation. Get our buddy Giacomo on the ball too. Man you two guys kept me going this year!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:26 am 
Site Admin

Hey man....yeah, I know...book and tour are on the top of my mind and I'm having so much fun with them! I'm in Utah now...doing that...book stuff and tour and talk I gave the other night.

Today I trained with Crystal and Vegan801Power and it was intense! Chest workout on only a few days rest from my last chest workout (the day I arrived in Utah) and we pounded it!

Flat Dumbbell Presses x 4 sets only went up to 85's because we were doing one arm at a time which I had never done before.

Incline Barbell bench press x 4 sets
135 x 12
155 x 8
165 x 7
175 x 6

Dumbbell Decline Press x 4 sets
70's x 13
90's x 7
90s x 6
100's x 3

Then one set of ab exercises and I did a couple of sets of push-ups and then we got dinner.

Both are excellent training partners!

Working out again on Tues is the plan!

@Octo...I'll try to keep it updated with more details...just been scrambling so much these days doing so many things...but still training and staying swol. Just typing a little less about each workout.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:54 am 
Stegosaurus

Well done on the presses! YB

When you going to train with Wash again ? It's been over a half a year Dry ;) You need to.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:41 pm 
Stegosaurus

best wishes for the book tour! can't wait to read the book!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:44 am 
Mastodon

Still waiting on emg tests johan. :)

335 Squat

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:12 am 
Gorilla

robert wrote:
Today I trained with Crystal and Vegan801Power and it was intense!

Yeah buddy! :D Awesome to have you up, can't wait until you are back with your book in hand!!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:48 am 
Site Admin

Trained legs with Crystal and Vegan801Power tonight before hopping on a plane back to Oregon. Crystal is hardcore, intense and awesome! They both are...but she really impressed me with how much she was squatting! I didn't do squats of course but did lots of machine squats and heavy leg presses, curls, etc.

It's about 2AM now and I should get to bed. Off to Arizona next week. Racking up air miles like crazy and seeing a lot of the country. Staying very busy every moment of the day but wouldn't have it any other way.

Great times with my friends in Salt Lake City!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:30 am 
Elephant

Zack wrote:
Still waiting on emg tests johan. :)

Hey mate! I'm sorry I totally forgot this. I'm studying for a final so I don't have too much time to dig up studies but here's one comparing incline with decline just to show that different parts of the chest is affected depending on the angle:

Quote:
Results showed significantly greater lower pectoral Con activation during decline bench press

Electromyographical activity of the pectoralis muscle during incline and decline bench presses

[url]http://www.edulife.com.br/dados%5CArtigos%5CEducacao%20Fisica%5CMusculação%20e%20Condicionamento%20Fisico%5CEletromiografia%20do%20Peitoral.pdf[/url]

There's one study (that I couldn't find right now) that suggests flat bench is better that decline for activating lower chest and I don't really dispute it, I just wanted to say that you can affect what part of the chest you want to train. I can't find the emg dips tests either but I've seen two of them and both suggest that dips activates the whole chest (including the lower chest) more than bench pressing.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79 ... 84  Next