Valente Training Log

Greetings. Don't have much to say yet. Just trying to do this and be consistent. Following chewybaws format for logs. Much thanks to him and others for sharing their progress. It really helped me decide how to begin.

In general, I'll be doing Stronglifts Beginner program with a few assistance exercises for posture and doing side splits. Capoeira training will pretty much be my cardio. Will be adding some plyometrics and sprinting a bit later.

Goals

So many goals, keep it simple for now:

- Get strong overall to support other activities (capoeira and other stuff)

- Have a good core and improve my posture (I sit at a desk 8+hrs/day, hard not to hunch)

- Replace the belly with something useful, like a nice set of abs

Milestones

- Weight: 185lb (felt great at this weight. haven't seen it since 08)

- Bench: sooner: 1x20x185lb later: 1x15x225lb (can I get to 225 in 18mos?)

- I'd like to see a 34' waist again

- I want to do full front and side leg splits this year

Nutrition

- Drinking only water. No juices, other than fruit in smoothies. Two glasses of water before every meal

- 6 meals/day; Typically: Smoothie for breakfast, mid-morning snack (usually trailmix), big salad for lunch, preworkout snack, big dinner, evening snack. Haven't gotten to counting cals yet.

- Only one plate at dinner. This was a big cause of my issues. Wifey's cooking is too good sometimes.

I've already dropped about 5 pounds just cutting out the juice, doing some cardio, and freestyling in the weight room. I should make better progress now with a plan.

Week 1

Workout #1

Monday February 20, 2012

Weight:215lb

Waist:44' Chest:43' Arms:14'

Few minutes Warm-up on the elliptical

Squat 5x5@45lb

Bench 5x5@45lb

Barbell Row 5x5@65lb

Never really done barbell exercises with any seriousness, so I'm just trying to focus on technique.

Squat - Have some issues with my left knee where it feels weird until it's properly warmed up. Also, I think one leg is longer than the other, so my left leg is just all kinds of weak. I'm investigating this, since I've had issues since I was a kid. I noticed when squatting, I wasn't feeling it as much on my left leg, but I know I'm standing square. Out of curiosity, on one set I put a 2.5 plate under my left foot, and it actually felt even. Won't make a habit of doing that, but it was interesting.

Bench - This is the intimidating one for me. I know I'll eventually be good at the others, but I've never had much upper body strength, so this will be a real challenge. I'm doing this on an adjustable bench on a power rack, so it's unclear when I lay on the bench, and I look up, where should I see the bar? eye level? neck? chest? But once I get going I think I do an ok job at keeping the bar stable.

Barbell Row - I think I'm doing this right. Gonna take some practice tho. Gonna figure out how to take some video at some point.

Edited by Valente

Week 1

Workout #2

Thurs February 23, 2012 (2:00am)

Weight:213lb

Few minutes Warm-up on the elliptical

Squat 5x5@50lb

Overhead Press 5x5@45lb

Deadlift 5x5@95lb

5 minutes of Ginga (basic capoeira movement) - I'll increase this by 2 minutes or so a day till I'm up to an hour.

Almost let work get in the way today, but I went anyway, despite the late hour and being (mentally) exhausted. It was a great stress relief and took my mind off of work.

Deadlift - Was only supposed to do one set but ended up doing 5 by mistake. It's challenging to keep your knees out of the way, but once I stopped over-thinking it, it worked itself out.

Week 1

Class #1

Thurs February 23, 2012

First day back at Capoeira class in several years, besides the occasional drop-in. Just tried to concentrate on breathing and not putting too much pressure on my back by leaning over in my ginga, which I tend to do sometimes when I'm out of shape. Felt good in the roda and didn't lose my breath or get tired. Also noticed I felt a bit stronger in the upper body and back in some movements; mostly handstands and queda de rim. Clothes were soaked after class and overall was a good workout. Stepped on the scale after class just for fun. 211. Lost two pounds. lol

Week 1

Workout #3

Sat February 25, 2012

5 minutes Warm-up on the elliptical

Squat 5x5@55lb

Bench Press 5x5@50lb

Barbell Row 5x5@70lb

Cardio: Ginga - 15 minutes (basic capoeira movement)

Noticed my left knew didn't hurt at all this time on the squat. Bench press getting better; concentrated on angling elbows at a 45 degree angle. Form on barbell row getting better also. The weight is kinda low so it can get boring at times, but I just continue to concentrate on technique.

Week 2

Workout #4

Mon February 27, 2012

Weight:214lb

Squat 5x5@60lb

Overhead Press 5x5@50lb

Deadlift 5x5@105lb

Cardio: Ginga - 10 minutes (basic capoeira movement)

Got a little too excited at the beginning on the squats and tweaked what I think is my right hip adductor. Slowed down a bit and all is well. No lingering soreness. I think what happened was I started experimenting with a few adductor exercises on rest days and I was probably a little more fatigued there than I realized.

Backed the Ginga practice down to 10 minutes, and I'll add a few minutes periodically. 15 minutes after the weights and also a few days after my first class was a bit too much.

I've started on stretching on tues and thurs, mostly focusing on my back and neck, just trying to counteract hours of sitting in the same position all day. I lay back on the big rubber ball, and wow, when I finally relax I can feel the soreness in my lower back. It's like there are certain muscles that stay tense all day, and I have to get in certain positions for them to relax and loosen up. Way more tightness back there than I realized. Anyhow, these stretch days are really working out.

Week 2

Workout #5

Weds February 29, 2012

Weight: ??

Squat 5x5@65lb

Bench Press 5x5@55lb

Barbell Row 5x5@75lb

Cardio: Ginga - 10 minutes (basic capoeira movement)

No lingering effects of the adductor tweak on monday. Felt really good on the squat. Technique getting better, tightening my glutes and core make it much easier i think. Hard to tell now, but hopefully it'll help when the weight becomes challenging.

Felt really good on the Ginga. Ten minutes seemed too short this time. I think I'm getting my legs back. Will bump it up by two minutes next session.

Added some back stretching between the lifting and cardio. Felt really good. Will continue to do so.

I'm so tempted to bump the weight up. I'm anxious to see how I respond. But I think I'm gonna take it slow. Good thing is, I haven't done much of these exercises before, so I don't really know what my max is yet. I guess I'll find out.

Week 2

Class #2

Thurs March 1, 2012

Weight: ??

2nd class was much easier than the first. Sometimes I get a little tired and my form slouches a bit, but otherwise I don't really get gassed anymore.

Edited by Valente

Week 2

Workout #6

Sat March 3, 2012 (8:30am)

Weight: 213

Squat 5x5@70lb

Overhead Press 5x5@55lb

Deadlift 5x5@115lb

Cardio: Ginga - 12 minutes

Was tempted to bump the weight +10, but glad I didn't. I've gotten through the boring part, and I now actually notice there is weight on the bar. Workouts should be way more interesting now.

Forgot the deadlift was only supposed to be 1 set again. Felt some left knee weakness again on the third deadlift set. Propped the left foot again and the pain went away. Gonna figure out what's going on with that pretty soon.

Did some back bends on the body ball again. First time I didn't feel sore when fully relaxed. Yayy!

Also, added a stomach vacuum exercise. Been experimenting with ita few times a week, gonna start tracking it officially starting next workout.

Week 3

Workout #7

Mon March 5, 2012

Weight: 213

Squat 5x5@75lb

Bench Press 5x5@60lb

Barbell Row 5x5@80lb

Cardio: Ginga - 16 minutes

Gonna bump up the bench press to about 85-90. I don't really have a strong upper body, but 60 is way too easy.

Week 3

Workout #8

Weds March 7, 2012

Weight: 210

Squat 5x5@80lb

Overhead Press 5x5@60lb

Deadlift 1x5@125lb

Cardio: Ginga - 18 minutes

Started out bummed cause I couldn't find my ipod, but quickly 'lowered the mechanism' and concentrated on the workout. Ginga is up to 18 minutes now, but I felt in such a groove that I kept going for what had to be another hour, just experimenting with different techniques. Clothes were soaked and I feel great. I'll sleep sound.

Been going great c.o. Way more structured and organized. I know what I'm going to do when I hit the gym, mostly because I spend a few minutes a day pondering, logging, and reviewing. Also, the logs really help me see the progression, especially on days I think I'm far away from my goals.

Week 3

Class #3

Thurs March 8, 2012

Learned a few things this class. 1. I can practice but not play Capoeira in those Vibram five finger shoes (at least not until I wear the tred down a bit). Especially not on clean wooden floors. 2. Don't go crazy practicing capoeira the night before class. My back is paying for it. Didn't really hurt or bother me much during class, just a little stiff before class and sore afterwards. Gonna do some serious foam rolling tonight.

Not too happy with my game at the moment. I played once with the head instructor. Didn't really let my game go and represent. We'll see how things go next week.

Been thinking quite a bit about matching my training with the rhythm of the game. Capo sort of goes in spurts. moderate steady movement, then quick bursts, back to steady, then the occasional pose.

To date, mostly for cardio purposes, I've been doing the moderate steady stuff. And although it naturally progresses to a game rhythm sometimes, I need more deliberate practice. I need to be explosive, without getting completely gassed, then go back to moderate, then to pose, etc. So, I've decided to do more interval training for capo going forward; Instructor challenged us to do 100 kicks/day, so I think I'll incorporate that also.

Lastly, my weight is down to 210lb. I was hoping to get under 210 sometime this month. Looks like it's actually going to happen. The more weight I shed, the easier just about everything gets.

Week 3

Workout #9

Sat March 10, 2012

Squat 5x5@85lb

Bench Press 5x5@95lb

Barbell Row 5x5@95lb

Cardio: None

Exciting day today. Bumped up the bench to 95lb. Now I can actually feel the weight. I did warm-up sets gradually increasing the weight till I got to where it was just enough to feel it, but still comfortable enough to complete all 5 sets. Ironically, I believe this is where I stopped on the bench in Jan, before I rewound back to the empty bar when starting stronglifts. The time wasn't wasted however, as I believe I learned quite a bit more about form and pace.

While I was at it, I also bumped up the barbell row, mostly so I wouldn't have to prop up the bar as much. I could feel the weight, but again, not so much where I couldn't complete the sets.

Didn't get to the cardio because I had a movie date with mom. Will make it up sometime on Sunday.

Week 3

Workout #9 Continued

Sun March 11, 2012

20 minutes of Ginga

Kicking Practice

1x20 - meia lua de frente (inner crescent)

1x20 - keshada (outer crescent)

1x20 - armada (spinning crescent)

1x10 - meia lua de compasso (spinning hook kick)

8 x 100yd sprints (It was an amazing day outside in Detroit. Just had to get out in the air)

I use the term sprint loosely. Was about 3/4 speed for most of them. The first for were 30-45 secs of rest between. The last 4 were about 2-3 minutes of rest. Been a while since I ran full speed for anything. I noticed a few things. First, I have a bit of a fallen arch in my left foot so I can feel my foot turn inward just a bit like I'm using my other four toes for more push than the ball of my foot. I've found some exercise for my arch and general strength in my left foot so we'll see how that goes. Also, I'm going to continue to stretch my hip flexors. More flexibility will improve my stride.

I'm working up to 100 kicks/day. 70 was a good start, but man, I really need to stretch.

Week 4

Workout #10

Mon March 12, 2012

Squat 5x5@85lb

Overhead Press 5x5@65lb

Deadlift 1x5@135lb

Cardio: Ginga - 22 mins.

Kicks:

1x12 - meia lua de frente (inner crescent)

1x12 - keshada (outer crescent)

1x10 - armada (spinning crescent)

Had some home stuff that distracted me at the beginning of this workout. Didn't warm my body up properly, so had to be real careful on the squats to start. Once I got into it though, I was warmed up and more focused. Maybe too focused. I'm so zoned in sometimes, I forget the set count, LOL. I'm sure on some of these, I did more than 5 sets or reps. But it was at least that, cause if I wasn't sure, I just did an extra set.

Had a pretty full Sunday with all of the running, so I was just a bit tired during the cardio. Glanced at the clock a few more times than usual. My kicks are horrible right now, by my standards anyhow, so I'm gonna just take the win of doing them, and worry about form, balance and flexibility later down the line.

Week 4

Workout #11

Weds March 14, 2012

Squat 5x5@100lb

Bench Press 5x5@100lb

Barbell Row 5x5@100lb

Cardio: Ginga - 24 mins

Kicks:

1x12 - Bênção (front kick)

1x12 - meia lua de frente (inner crescent)

1x12 - keshada (outer crescent)

Week 4

No Class

Thurs March 15, 2012

Weight: 208

5 minute elliptical warm up

Cardio: Ginga - 26 mins

No class today, so I went to the gym instead. I don't know if it's the five finger shoes or because I'm dropping weight, but all of a sudden, I can jump rope forever without messing up. I hope to replace the elliptical warm-up with the jump rope fairly soon.

Week 5

Run #1

Sun March 18, 2012

Weight: ???

First Run. 2 laps around a big park. I think it's between .75-1mi around. I'll figure out the distance at some point. Wasn't able to make the full lap without walking a few times.

Week 5

Run #2

Tues March 20, 2012

Weight: ???

Second Run. 2 laps again. This time, made it around without stopping or slowing down. Felt good. I think it was about a 20-25 minute run. Will do this every Tues, Thurs, and Sun. Get it up to a decent distance, then improve on the time.

Week 5

Workout #14

Weds March 21, 2012

Weight: ?

Squat 5x5@115lb

Overhead Press 5x5@75lb

Deadlift 1x5@155lb

Cardio: None.

Ab Work: Goal Actual

Hands Back Tucks 30secs 20secs

Marching Planks 60secs 30sec, rest 10, 20sec (just did regular plank)

Side Plank Lifts (L&R) 30sec(ea) 30sec

Seated Ab Circles (L&R) 30sec(ea) 30sec one side, rest 10, 10sec other, rest 10

90/90 Crunch 30sec 30sec

Russian "V" Tuck Twists 30sec 30sec (with feet on ground instead of 6in)