mgabs' training log

Hey vegan friends, I'm new to this site, but I thought I'd use the forum to track my workouts and keep them stored some place. Also I think it's fun to compete and give people an idea of what other vegans are capable of doing in fitness.

So here was my most recent workout on Saturday:

Chins: 30lbs 7, 7, 6, 6

Barbell row: 145lbs 5, 5, 5, 5

Curls: 85lbs 8, 8, 8, 8

Face pulls: 100lbs 12, 12, 12, 12

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today's workout was pretty good.

Standing behind neck press: 95lbs 7, 6, 6, 5

Squat: 185lbs 8, 8, 8, 8

Dips: 30lbs 8, 8, 8, 8

Standing dumbbell press: 30lb dumbbells burnout 8, 8, 8, 8

Any comments, tips, advice are welcome!

Today's workout was a "pull day."

Chin ups: 30lbs 7, 7, 5 (then i stopped because I wasn't feeling my back)

Barbell rows: 150lbs 5, 5, 5, 5

Dumbbell curls: 15lb dumbbells 6 sets ~10 reps per set

Cable rope pulls: 8x10

Got a really good pump and felt my muscles working, which is how I usually train. If I go too heavy and can't feel the muscles working then I do something else. Not my best day, but I felt good after all was said and done.

I did them to the front for a long time, but once I tried behind the neck presses I was sold. I feel like they work the shoulder more completely, whereas pressing to the front focuses more on the anterior deltoid. There's really no way to cheat a behind the neck press, because leaning back won't do anything. I keep my legs locked and my chin down and do a strict press. Short answer: I just prefer them and they give a good burn! Which kind of shoulder exercises do you do?

for shoulders i like arnold presses, kettlebell clean and press, or smith machine presses, for the most part. other than that i do traps and reardelt exercises along with those. i dont do too many side or front raises at this point in time

recently i have been trying upside down push ups or handstand push ups also to start with.

i dont do any behind the neck because it can put the rotator cuff in danger of injury and my rotator cuffs are sensitive to that.

Yeah it's a dangerous exercise, I've been fortunate not to have any big shoulder injuries though. I think all exercises are safe if your joints are healthy and uncompromised. If you have sensitive rotator cuffs then yeah it's probably a good idea to stay away from them. I have to use a lot less weight on behind the neck presses than I do when I press to the front, so I've been prioritizing it lately.

If you mean handstand push ups, then yeah I've tried them. They're really hard, and I have to put my feet against a wall because I can't do a handstand on my own. Those really get the shoulders too, but they don't isolate it as much as I'd like. A lot of tricep comes into play I think...at least that's what I feel.

Yes the triceps are always involved in every pressing movement, I know. But in some variations moreso than in others. Overhead pressing to the front with lockout works the triceps harder than doing it behind the neck with a lockout. At least that's just how I feel it for myself. And pressing to the front mainly works the anterior head, while pressing behind the neck hits the posterior and medial delt more. That's why I do them that way.

Seated cable rows: 120lbs 5x12

Chest supported Dumbbell rows: 40lb dumbbells 4x8

Chin ups: 6, 6, 6, 5, 4

Face pulls supersetted with low cable pulls: 80lbs 4x12

Chin ups: 6, 5, 4, 3

Did this with one minute rests between every set and it was brutal. This workout reminded me how little I've been paying attention to my conditioning. From now on I'm using shorter rest periods for sure.

Did a quick biceps routine today...took about 15 minutes..

Strict forms standing curls: 20lb dumbbells 10, 10, 9, 9

Standing dumbbell curls (loose form): 30lb dumbbells 12, 12, 10, 10

Forgot to do biceps yesterday during my back workout, so I just did them today. 1:30 was the rest intervals today. Made sure I kept it intense! Tomorrow is shoulders and chest!

Standing barbell behind neck press: 95lbs 8, 8, 6, 6

Upright row: 65lbs 10, 10, 10, 10

Neck press: 95lbs 10, 10, 10, 10

Lateral raises: 15lb dumbbells 10, 10, 10, 10

Tricep pushdown supersetted with standing dumbbell press: 3 sets to failure

Hit the shoulders pretty good today. I've decided to give shoulders and back priority in my workouts. I think it's a good decision. Those behind the neck presses are getting pretty rough though... hoping to be up to 135lbs on those by end of July!

Intense back and bicep workout today:

Pullups 9 8 7 6

Db rows 70lb 8 8 8 8

Face pulls 80lbs 15 15 15 15

Barbell curl 95lbs 5 5 5 3

Chins 8 8 6 6

Kept the rest down to 2 minutes between each set to give my heart a workout as well

Anything behind the neck is a huge no no for me...you can't beat a proper strict military barbell press. Pressing on smith machines should be against the law. Even lat pull downs behind the neck make me wince, just doesn't look right to put the shoulder, neck & posture into that position. But if you're making gains...

I like your workouts, no bs & to the point...much like myself

Thanks! I guess btn press isn't for everyone because of shoulder mobility. It feels fine for me, and I really feel it working my shoulders. Plus I can't cheat and lean back like I can when I do them in front! I do them in front too though every so often. I don't use the pulldown machines, and pull ups behind the neck just don't any sense..hahah.. I used to take 3-4 minutes of rest for the longest time, and lately I've cut it down to 2 minutes (timing it strictly). I think it's one of the smartest things I've ever done!

I can relate to bad shoulder mobility. I had bad whiplash in an accident. I looked like the 80's batman turning my neck to the left. I don't go much past shoulder width for pull ups either. 

My lower back is awful with sciatica & forever hold me back on deadlifts. I even programmed it at a beginner weight pre 5/3/1 & it's still awful. I'll make gains then have a bad bout, not deadlift & start over. But I can squat, front squats ect so at least that's not effected.

I take a good 3 mins now before each set, on the main loft at least. I'm there to get strong so it's a little different to bodybuilding obviously

Yeah, way different than bodybuilding. I don't really train for anything in particular, just to get stronger and feel better and look better. I just like doing certain exercises so I do those. Why you do you do deadlifts if you have back problems? Unless you plan on competing, there's really no advantage in doing something that is going to put you in a position of increased injury. I have respect for people who deadlift, because I've been injured so many times doing it that I just decided I'd had enough.

Oh so you are competing. Then I think it makes sense to deadlift!

Today did a short arm routine:

Dumbbell curls (Loose form) 30lb dumbbells 15, 15, 11, 10

Dumbbell curls (Strict form) 20lb dumbbells 12, 12, 10, 10

2 minutes rest as usual!

Went back to overhead pressing to the front today to mix things up. Felt pretty good!

Standing barbell press: 115lbs 5, 5, 5, 5, 4 - 95lbs 8

Neck press: 115lbs 10, 10, 10, 10

Standing dumbbell lateral raises: 17.5lb dumbbells 10, 10, 10, 10

Tricep cable pushdowns: 100lbs 12, 12, 12

Pull ups: 9 9 8 7

BB rows: 135lbs 7 7 7 7

Db curls: 35lbs 8 8 8 8

Face pulls: 90lbs 10 10 10 10

Chin ups: 8 8 8 6

2 minutes rest between each set again. Killer workout! The form is near perfect on everything, and no swaying or cheating any movements. (That's why my poundages are much lower than my maxes) I used to do chin ups with 30lbs hanging from me, but I decided to put them at the end of the workout so I am too fatigued to go too heavy. It feels better on my joints too!