Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 171 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Doug Robson Journal (vegandougie)
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:30 am 
Rabbit

Hi All,
Time to get started on this whether I win or lose the competition doesn't really matter - it's time i got started after a very long layoff due to back injury ( I won't bore any one with the details - unless you want me too of course). I thought I would start here not just because of the possibility of winning some goodies but because I respect alot of the people on this site for their ethics and generosity in giving support and advice. Something I might need from time to time :-)

I wanted to start last year after getting and reading Roberts book as a 2010 xmas present but a relapse prevented me and then I got made redundant from my job. I have a new job now and my back pain is improving but like Robert some limits may be put on my initial training but hopefully as i grow stronger i shall be able to incorporate more exercises.

The program I shall follow is the one described by Derek Tresize:

Day 1: Squat, Bench Press, Barbell Row, Dumbbell Shrugs

Day 3: Clean, Incline Dumbbell Bench Press, Dumbbell Row, Romanian Deadlift

Day 5: Weighted Pull Ups, Decline Dumbbell Pullovers, Push Press, Deadlift

In Between: Arms, Calves, and Abs
Two days OFF per week

I might have to sub squat with leg presses until my core strength improves but i like this routine and feel it is one i can stick with until i am ready to change it up a bit.

I shall be starting actual training on the 3rd as the gym i shall be using is close to my work (i have to commute) which means i can work out before starting work (it is the only 24 hour gym and one that fits in my budget i could find).

Tomorrow I shall post some stats such as my weight, height, bodyfat percentage etc. My main goal is to get some muscle size and strength but in the foreseeable future i would like to enter a competition - who knows maybe it's not to late for me to achieve my dream after all?

http://www.my-healthy-lifestyle-choices.com

Post subject: Re: Doug Robson Journal (vegandougie)
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:30 am 
Rabbit

Just to update this journal with some stats:

Height: 5ft8"
Weight: 75Kgs / 165.35lbs
BMI: 24% - i used one of those accu-measure calipers so I could be off a couple of percent, on the lower side I hasten to add :-)

Not sure of my macro breakdown just yet. Shall post them when i have figured it out myself. Please forgive me if this post is quite short but I am just starting out and am very new to trying to put this together on a Vegan diet.

My main goal is to get stronger with some size, I want to try and keep the BMI down to lower percent but this might be a bit of trial and error. I might end up introducing high cal, low cal days or even adjust macro ratios. I am not sure how easy that is to do due to high carb nature of vegan diet but i shall give it a shot.

Tomorrow some cardio to start and training on weds shall post again tomorrow.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:05 pm 
Rabbit

Ok first proper entry. Just got back from work, my first day back since christmas break. I have just joined my gym and confirmed my personal entry pin.

Started of with cardio today as i want to keep my training traditional (tues and Thurs will be cardio days with Abs + calves) I have decided to take Richards advice (my mentor for this journey) and add arms when i have gotten used to the routine and if i don't feel quite so sore. Thanks again Richard for the emails, some really good advice.

Managed 20 mins on elliptical trainer - am officially cream crackered!!

Next was abs, sit ups 1X15, 2X10 and planks (only managed 2 sets of 60 secs roughly each - i know pathetic) and i will be honest here i missed doing calves but will not next time - i have had a long lay off so i feel i need to get my fitness levels up.

This post is pretty short but tomorrow morning before work i shall get my first weights session in. I am now off to prepare some hemp/soy shakes for training and lunch for work - have a great evening :-)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:14 pm 
Rabbit

Ok some more info for you, I was up at 04:30am to get to the gym at 05:50 and completed by 06:45 then straight to work. what a day but i kind of enjoyed early morning training - anyway here is what i did today and please understand i have not trained for years so the weights might look dismal but i felt every Kg:

5 mins cardio warm up on elliptic trainer (this is my main choice of cardio equipment at the moment because of the low impact on my back and spine)

Squats 3x20 Kg 10 reps each
Bench press 2x10Kg plus 1 x 15Kg 10 reps each
Bbell Row 1x10 3x25Kgs 10 reps
I did bbell shrugs instead Dbell shrugs because their were some blokes by the dbell rack taking up the space and equipment - they seemed to be spending more time talking than training which kind of defeats the object especially considering it was early morning - why waste time, note to self get there a bit early to avoid equipment queues,
any way i did 1x15Kg and 3X25Kg.

I know this does not sound like much but i am finding my way at the moment and it does feel like a lot because as i type this the soreness is a reminder of my early morning session :-(

This weekend i will be working on the food menus because at the moment it's all a bit spontaneous. I shall get some "before" photos taken as well, my wife said she would take them and promised not to laugh :-)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:33 am 
Site Admin

Hey man, don't worry about length of entry, just use the journal to keep track of what you've achieved and how you're feeling, what you're eating etc, write what you want :)

Getting back to training after a long break will always be slow, if you go straight in with heavy weights, you will cause yourself further injury, so you are doing the right thing. Your body will adjust to what you're lifting, and then you can increase and feel less soreness. As you say, the fact that you are sore right now means that you haven't been lifting too light

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:27 pm 
Rabbit

Thanks Richard, glad i am on track.

Ok todays entry is cardio and abs day.

I did 10 mins in elliptic trainer - i wanted to do 20 but it was an intense 10 mins after a long day at work as well.

i als did x3 sets of 20 reps crunches and x2 sets of planks first set held for 40 seconds and second for 30 seconds (funny how a second seems like a long time when you are holding yourself in the plank position). I also added some of the physio stretches i had been shown after my back surgery to help stretch my sciatic nerve and also to keep the core muscles activated.

i shall say good night now - more updates tomorrow

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:27 am 
Rabbit

Ok i'll be honest here. I missed friday mornings workout - no excuses i overslept. I was still sore and tired from weds mornings workout. So idecided to make up for it by doing a home wokout today (sat 7th jan 2012).

I used my fitball which i purchased some time ago specifically to perform pilates/physio type exercises.

Heres a run down of exercises performed:

Started as ever with elliptical machine for an intense 20 min cardio workout.

followed by Push ups with my torso (stomach) on fit ball 1x12, 1x10 and 1x8 (found this difficult as chest still sore from weds)

Fit ball leg curls - lie flat on floor with feet on fit ball and curl in towards your butt, squeezing in as you do so 3x12

wall squats - with the ball behind back against wall (lean into it) squat down, 3x12, held and squeezed final rep of final set for 30 secs.

trunk curls - lie on fitball with small of back resting on it and perform a normal ab crunch 3x12.

That was pretty much it but i guess it is better to do something than to give up and not do anything at all :D

I shall not miss Mondays morning workout, i will make sure i get to bed earlier tomorrow night. will post another entry Monday evening.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:16 am 
Rabbit

Hi doug,
Thanks for the words of encouragement. It good to see someone that went and is still going through what i am. The doctor told me that if i keep losing weight then that will help me but if gain then that will make it worse. I wish you the best of luck on your journey and that you also reach your goals.
Miguel

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:29 am 
Gorilla

Hi Doug! Congrats on your consistency and thoroughness of your journal and workouts! It's inspiring to see!

I gotta ask... What does it mean to be "officially cream crackered"????? Hahaha! :lachmal:

All the best!
Karen

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:50 am 
Rabbit

Hi kareno
Cream crackered is cockney rhyming slang for knackered which itself is British slang for "very tired" or "exhausted". Thanks for the kind words. I am working hard to achieve my goals and it is very encouraging to have such great support from so many fantastic people on this forum :-)

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=52.371107,-0.776122

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:53 am 
Gorilla

Hahaha! This is hysterical! I'm going to have to try to remember that expression, 'cause I love it! :lachmal:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:45 pm 
Gorilla

How did the rest of your weekend go with training/food? And were you able to fit anything in on Monday?

Hope all is well!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:16 pm 
Rabbit

New post. Unfortunately i was unable to work out today, suffering with sciatic pain. Shall do something tomorrow if the pain eases up. If not then I shall opt for a similar workout I did Saturday With the fit ball.

Thanks Karen I am glad you liked it. As far as food goes I am eating what I have got in the cupboards at the moment such as beans, quinoa, rice, whole meal breads. A bit boring but until payday it's the best I can do, then I shall work it out better :-)

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=52.370989,-0.776060

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:21 pm 
Rabbit

Sciatica easing up a bit but i thought i would keep it to body weight and cardio for now as per saturdays routine. I know this is going slow but i would rather build up gradually than do cause further injury

Started as ever with elliptical machine for an intense 20 min cardio workout.

followed by Push ups with my torso (stomach) on fit ball 1x12, 1x10 and 1x10

Fit ball leg curls - lie flat on floor with feet on fit ball and curl in towards your butt, squeezing in as you do so 3x12

wall squats - with the ball behind back against wall (lean into it) squat down, 3x12, held and squeezed final rep of final set for 30 secs.

trunk curls - lie on fitball with small of back resting on it and perform a normal ab crunch 3x12.

Tomorrow morning i see if i can manage the weights :-)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:12 pm 
Rabbit

Nice one my friend!!! Keep it Rocking

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 171 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next