Newbie - Looking for advice

Hi,

I am 5ft 11", 36yrs old and have been 80% raw vegetarian for around 2 years now, my wife and I recently went vegan a few months ago. I have flirted with body building for a few years and have seen some change but merely toning up rather than good muscle building. This was down to my love of cardio and doing too much of it I think.

Now I am 12stone and call myself a skinny fat man, I have small arms and legs but carry some but not too much around the waist. From my beer drinking days I presume.

I have a squat rack, bench and free weights and wish to get a program I can do from home 3-4 times per week to initially build bulk and then go for the six pack I had back when I was 20. I really need some good advice on the diet and the workout routine, I will follow it to the letter as I really want this to work. I have tried before but never really put any real bulk on.

Generally I eat 3 times per day with a snack of nuts and seeds mid morning and some rice cakes and honey mid afternoon.

Seriously any programs for home with my current equipment and diet advice to go with it would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance, I will start a log and do some before, during and after photos.

Badgerboy

Awesome, welcome to the forum. Great idea to start a log. Check out the journals section of the forum you can see workout routines that tons of others are doing for ideas to steal.

Goodluck,

Dylan

You might experiment with eating smaller, frequent meals that each have some protein in them. It takes a while to get used to but once your body does, you'll smooth over a lot of cravings that erupt when your blood sugar drops. Makes sticking to a vegan diet a LOT easier, trust me.

I've heard that cardio is most efficient in the morning and anaerobic exercise in the evening. You might switch the two so you can keep your beloved cardio without seeing it eat up your gains. If that doesn't appeal, break down your cardio into HIIT-type training and drop the endurance stuff, which can keep muscles small. In a nutshell, run a bit, sprint a bit, walk a bit, repeat. Make up your own intervals but keep them small--under a minute each. Maybe add trail running or a jungle workout where you pause your run every ten minutes to do body weight exercises off of stuff you find around you, like street signs, stairs, trees, rocks, your own car, window wells, etc. Or take up parkour: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=23812&p=285797&hilit=wolverine#p285797

Baby Herc

• 1 year later...