Rossco's journal

Soooo I've used this forum kind of on and off for the past couple of years and been lifting on and off too, Thought I may aswell get back into it and post what I get up to! Could use help wherever possible also I'm not sure I've put this in the right place so let me know if I've ballsed this whole thing up!

Wednesday 3/10/12. Bodyweight 75Kg.

First off I use my colleges gym, it's pretty crap and very crowded so I don't always get a chance to do what I've planned but hey it's free!

OHP machine. Couple of light sets to warm up.

OHP Dumbbells. (the weight is for each dumbbel)

12.5 Kg x 10 reps

15 Kg x 10 reps

17.5 Kg x 8 reps

20 Kg x 5 reps

20 Kg x 5 reps

Side raises

10 Kg x 10

15 Kg x 8

Lat pull down machine. couple of light sets to warm up.

Pull ups x 5

chins x 5

chins x 3 (I totally suck at these and always feel like a failure afterwards!)

Squats! (really enjoyed these but could have VERY easily added more weight, gonna step it up next time just didn't want to get too ahead of myself)

40 Kg x 10

50 Kg x 10

60 Kg x 10

70 Kg x 12 (The only problem I had with these was feeling a bit dizzy from the repetitiveness of going up and down over and over again ahha)

5-10 minutes row machine and some stretching.

That's all so far I'll be putting up tomorrows workout when I finish college tomorrow, any help/advice is greatly appreciated!

Edited by vegan_rossco

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Friday 5/10/12 Bodyweight 75 Kg

Seated press machine (couple of sets to warm up)

Dumbbell bench press (weight is for each dumbbell)

12 Kg x 10 reps

15 Kg x 10 reps

17.5 Kg x 10 reps

20 Kg x 10 reps

22.5 Kg x 10 reps

4 sets of machine flys

Squats! (been looking forward to this!!)

40 Kg x 12

60 Kg x 12

80 Kg x 12

100 Kg x 10

110 Kg x 10 Probably could have gone a bit heavier but felt a bit sketchy with balance

(then some isolation stuff for arms)

So the gym was practically empty today! had a great workout but still have to put up with the trainee college gym instructors that stare at you the whole time! on the plus side I saw a college lecturer doing pistol squats and grunting for half an hour...

Ate a shit load today but could have been a bit healthier! post workout meal especially.. it consisted of vegan Sausages x 3, potato waffles x 4 and a whole tin of baked beans.. Adios

So it was my 23rd birthday yesterday and I ate waaaaay too much vegan cake! (I'll post a photo in a bit) but today I was totally killing it at the gym!

Monday 8/10/12 Bodyweight 76 Kg

OHP machine (couple of sets to warm up

OHP Dumbbells (weight is for each dummbell)

15 Kg x 10 reps

17.5 Kg x 10 reps

20 Kg x 6 reps

22.5 Kg x 4 reps

Chin ups

5,5,5,2 (to be fair the last two were awful I made stupid faces and noises and barely got above the bar)

3 sets of seated rows (machine)

Squats, okay so I really didnt enjoy this at all! still feeling it from friday :/

70Kg x 12

100 Kg x 12

110 Kg x 10

120 Kg x 7 (at this point I was completely exhausted plus most of the reps were awful form but Ill put it up anyway!)

Then some isolation stuff for arms hopefully gonna start deadlifts on wednesday!

currently cooking up some sweet potatoes with brown rice and moroccan style veg burgers!

Wednesday 10/10/12 Bodyweight 76 Kg

Chest press machine, couple of sets to warm up

Barbell bench press, Unfortunately I had to use the smith machine due to overcrowded gym, it felt stiff and sticky plus the bar is so thick so this sucked! :/

40 Kg x 10 reps

50 Kg x 8 reps

60 Kg x 5 reps

40 Kg x 10 reps

Dips x8 x8 x10 x10

Dumbbell flys

10 Kg x 10

12.5 Kg x 10

15 Kg x 8

15 Kg x 8

Dumbbell shrugs

15 Kg x 12

20 Kg x 12

25 Kg x 12

30 Kg x 10

Isolation stuff for arms/cooldown/stretch

feel free to have a chat with me about.. anything really, would be nice to meet some people on here with the same views as me, I can confidently say I'm the only vegan at my colleges gym and one of the vegans at my college.

Friday 12/10/12 Bodyweight 76.5 Kg

Just got back from the gym which was completely overcrowded as usual.. had to bail on deadlifts once again but hopefully starting on monday!

sooooo

Squats

40 Kg x 12 reps

60 Kg x 12 reps

80 Kg x 12 reps

100 Kg x 12 reps

120 Kg x 12 reps

Lat pull down machine, a few sets to warm up

Chin ups x5 x5 x5 x3 (I say 3 but it was a dodgy 2 and a half)

leg isolation stuff and arm isolation stuff, (leg curls, bicep curls etc)

Didn't enjoy today too much the squats totally killed me!

Looking great mate, I'll be follwing along !! You have some pretty badass tats haha. Couple of questions...

1) How much of that cake did you eat?

2) Any tips on how you can squat that weight for 12 reps?

3) Much on for the weekend?

Workouts look good, you normally train around 4 x week? Have a great weekend MF.

Cake! Cake! Cake! I wouldn't chant that in public, cake sounds too much like K if you start chanting it people might think you're racist haha.

Serious workout routine man. Looks like myself and others are scoping it out and taking some notes to use in our own routines.

Thanks for posting.

-Dylan

Looking great mate, I'll be follwing along !! You have some pretty badass tats haha. Couple of questions...

1) How much of that cake did you eat?

2) Any tips on how you can squat that weight for 12 reps?

3) Much on for the weekend?

Workouts look good, you normally train around 4 x week? Have a great weekend MF.

ahha cheers man! Well between me my girlfriend and a couple of friends we ate the whole thing!

as for squats It's on a machine have no idea what its called so haven't posted (hope I haven't come across as dishonest as I didn't think it would make a difference) I'll take a couple of pics or a video to shed some light on the whole thing on monday when I'm next working out, nothing really planned just workworkwork :/ (gyms closed ) how about you dude everything good your end?? oh and I train Monday wednesday and friday may need to change it around as I have taekwondo training on wednesdays (which is why squats are so important)

Cake! Cake! Cake! I wouldn't chant that in public, cake sounds too much like K if you start chanting it people might think you're racist haha.

Serious workout routine man. Looks like myself and others are scoping it out and taking some notes to use in our own routines.

Thanks for posting.

-Dylan

haha! Unless you chanted in a bakery??

really? I thought it was fairly basic ahha I just do whatever my buddy says for workouts and most of the time it's whatever is free in the gym but thanks dude!

You must be taking about a Smith Machine? A little different that regular squats, there's good and bad with the Smith IMO. From a safety point of view it's good; however it doesn't take into account your biomechanics due to the inability of the bar to move forward/back as you would normally track your natural ROM when you squat. That was a long sentence so I hope that makes sense ?!

Nah, not much on this weekend. Probably just one gym session then family stuff ~ weather is shit today so that's a bit of a killer. How about yourself?

I promise it's not a smith ahha been warned off of that a long time ago, some guy at our gym claimed it totally screwed up his back, this machine has pads for your shoulders/back and you can either put your feet on the ground like a regular squat or have them sort of at an angle. Was reccomended to me when I didn't have a spotter as it has a mechanism that would save me from being totally crushed if I messed up I'll get a pic on Monday

I promise it's not a smith ahha been warned off of that a long time ago, some guy at our gym claimed it totally screwed up his back, this machine has pads for your shoulders/back and you can either put your feet on the ground like a regular squat or have them sort of at an angle. Was reccomended to me when I didn't have a spotter as it has a mechanism that would save me from being totally crushed if I messed up I'll get a pic on Monday

Yeah get a pic, not sure what that could. I'm thinking it could maybe some sort of cambered squat?..

http://train.elitefts.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/Mike-Cambered-Bar-Squat.jpg

Couple of things.. firstly I've decided to try out stronglifts 5x5 and misread inverted rows for barbell rows so ignore the barbell rows below.. secondly I'm very pissed off! obnoxious guy that runs the gym came up to me and basically had a go at me about the programme and said "don't bother if you aren't going to be a powerlifter" and "don't do deadlifts same day as the squats" (which is part of next workouts plan) worst part is that he interupted me half way through squats and didn't shut up for 10 mins or so.. may invest in a power rack and workout from home :/

anyway heres my stronglifts 5x5 so far, I started fairly light barely felt anything on bench ahha

Monday 15/10/12

Bench

40 Kg x5 x5 x5 x5 x5

Squat

60 Kg x5 x5 x5 x5 x5

barbell rows

30 Kg x5 x5 x5 x5 x5

Couldn't do dips because some bellend decided he would stay on the dip station and chat for twenty fucking minutes.. foul mood :/

ps sorry mini didnt take a pic of the squat machine but if you google it its the first one on google images pretty much!

Haha, cheers for the heads up on the squat machine... and you potentially could have looked like a bit of a knob by taking a photo of an empty squat reck.

Damn, the guy that runs the gym sounds like a twat. If I had someone talk to me like that I'd tell him not to stress out as this would be my last workout there.

Hey mini, the gyms free to use so he clearly doesn't give a shit whether or not I go back :/ Gonna join the gym up the road from me next year, £30 a month and you get to use the pool

So I've been rethinking my plan completely and to be honest I don't want to follow stronglifts, not that I don't think it looks great but because my goals are constantly changing.

what I'm going for now is higher reps 8-10 with 3 or 4 sets,

I'm sticking to the main lifts and basing other exercises and isolation around them whilst trying not to clash certain exercises for example

Monday deadlift,pullup plus back stuff. Wednesday squat, military press plus leg and chest stuff, friday Deadlift or pullups, bench and back and chest stuff etc and just mix it up where I see fit!

anywhooooo here's yesterdays workout

Wednesday 17/10/12 Bodyweight 77Kg (yeaaaaahhhh)

chinups x7 x6 x5 x3 tried to force another rep but felt like I would die..

overhead press with dumbbells (the weight is for each dumbbell)

15Kg x 8

17.5Kg x 8

20Kg x 7

17.5Kg x 8 (once I get the 20Kgs to 8 reps I'll add some weight to my last set)

side raises with dumbbells

10Kg x 8

10kg x 8

12.5Kg x 8

drop sets down to 2.5Kg ooooouuuuuccccchhhhh

lat pull down machine (was supposed to use it straight after pullups but some guy was on it for like 20 minutes..

3 sets cant remember the weight

x8 x8 x9

then some bicep isolation because I felt like it ahha

Friday 19/10/12 Bodyweight 77Kg

Had to workout from home today so thought it would be a good opportunity to try some things I don't normally do to get my technique perfect..well.. better at least

Deadifts: I've never really done them properly so went for a light/ish weight (around 20-35 Kg) and went for high reps, I video'd this to watch my form and I think I have it sorted so I'll go heavy on Wednesday!

x12

x12

x10

x10

x10

Dips (weighted):

0 Kg x 10 reps

10 Kg x 10 reps

15 Kg x 10 reps

15 Kg x 10 reps (I physically couldn't fit any more weights into my backpack)

Wide grip push ups:

x 10 reps

+10 Kg x 10 reps

+15 Kg x 10 reps

+15 Kg x 10 reps

knuckle push ups:

x 25 reps (triceps were fried at this point so I stopped)

Didn't feel like I accomplished much today but it was better than nothing, It's been pissing down with rain all morning and it being my day off I decided not to bother wandering to the gym (wish I had though) ho hum