IronMum's Training Journal

Okay, accountability is what it's all about for me... waaah! Let's do it.

Name: IronMum!

Started: Started weight training about a year and a half ago. Have lost weight and put on mass but have not been disciplined enough with fitness and nutrition (changed that now!)

Goals: To do ONE bicep pullup and one wide grip pullup unassisted; to get bigger; reduce body fat; improve fitness overall; better flexibility; squeaky clean eating; be a poster child for vegan BB/fitness

Eating: Vegan since March 2012.

Workout: Currently 4 day split for weights; aim for cardio daily.

Problems: I have really poor flexibility and need to work more on stretching; perfectionism (hate training without my buddy-spotter as I feel frustrated that I'm not working as hard)

Weight: Currently 70.8kg/156lbs (got down to 67.5kg three months ago then slacked off over winter...) Used to weigh nearly 90kg/198lbs in Jan 2011. Still a lot of body fat to lose.

I had chronic back pain a year ago and horrible slouching. That's all gone now.

Training Journal 15/10/2012

70.3kg

(weight loss of 500g this week, started daily cardio one week ago but super clean eating four days ago)

Going easier on weights as trainer-buddy and I had a break and have jumped in to lots of cardio, so she decided to drop the intensity a bit for now as we focus on fat loss.

Chest and Triceps day

- pushups (wider hands)

- dumbell bench press

- dumbell chest flies

- pushups for triceps

- overhead tricep press

- tricep pulldown

1 hour bootcamp session. Lots of jogging... couldn't do the pushups on toes as I was totally pooped from chest+tris work.

Good eating.

1200 calories burnt (yeah I'm a calorie counter, it's the only way I can keep on track and make smarter choices about food!)

Edited by IronMum

Thanks Dylan

Today was Back + Biceps day. Again going easier with the weights (well, I'm still grunting and my buddy is helping me) but not at 100% intensity from the get go.

3 sets of 12 reps each of

- wide grip lat pulldowns

- bent over one arm rows

- seated row

- bicep pulldown

- alternating bicep curls

- one arm preacher curls

- cable bicep curls

Cycle class finished by a walk home

1100 calories burnt

Attached is a pic from today. I got my Vegan BB clothing yesterday, I wasn't going to wear it until I lost more weight but I thought you know what, I should be proud of what I've achieved so far. Sure I've slacked off, sure I'd be 10kg lighter if I hadn't hibernated in winter with foccaccias, but hey I'm 20kg down from where I started!

You can tell from this pic that there's body fat to lose, currently I have the rolls of flab and the big belly roll plus 'mummy tummy' (ie the leftover 'pouch' of skin). According to BMI scale I'm in the overweight category and need to drop 5kg before I'm not in that category, but I absolutely have a heap of body fat to drop.

Photo reuploaded to take out the gym toilet

Even though fat-wise this is really good progress from where I began, I consider this my new starting point for losing fat and gaining mass.

20121016_lockerroomshot.jpg.27ff9f6318292668ed2a4c3d6474f5f7.jpg

Edited by IronMum

Again, not working at full capacity as trainer-buddy and I ease back in to things. All the added cardio is making us feel a little more tired but we're doing fine and will be picking up the intensity with our resistance training next week.

Legs day today:

3 sets of 12 reps each of

- 45 degree leg press (80kg... my PB is a full set of 100kg but 80kg felt so heavy today)

- squats on smith machine

- leg extension

- leg curl

- standing calf press (one leg at a time, holding a plate)

- seated calf press 40kg

Bootcamp session for one hour. Totally pooped now.

1050 calories burnt

best part of the day was receiving Robert's book in the post I could have walked home for 15 minutes but chose to get on the bus so I could start reading now THAT'S an excuse not to exercise!

Shoulders + Abs day today:

12 reps, 3 sets each of

- seated dumbell shoulder press

- dumbell front raises

- shoulder side dumbell lateral raises

- rear delt flies

- ball crunches

- air bike crunches (my flexibility is terrible on these)

Didn't hit my calorie burn limit for today but will make up for it tomorrow and Saturday.

I enjoy my bootcamp because it's exercising in the fresh spring air for a change, instead of stinky gym

Legs day today. Trainer-buddy has changed our program to three sets of 10 reps on a heavier weight (instead of 10-12 on slightly lighter). Still grunting though so it's all good!

- leg extension

- squats (was having a very mild freakout about the weight of the bar on my back, need to get my mindset right cos the weight will only get heavier)

- barbell lunges (started off with Olympic bar plus weight, felt too unstable and 'wrong' so I switched to a lighter barbell)

- single leg deadlift

- leg curl

- standing calf raise (holding weight plate)

- seated calf press (yeeoowww)

Bootcamp class for one hour

Some leg photos from today post-workout, forgive the skinned knee. I had to really change the brightness-contrast of the photos to give myself a tan I don't like these photos much, I think Imy legs are more muscular in person, heh!

As you can see, quite a bit of work is need to drop body fat.

calfpic.jpg.a09ccaed0cbe700c005b079e234c0ffc.jpg

legspic.jpg.f9166fe235b2b9a78d731f23f3ec0616.jpg

legfront.jpg.1c4a92422beec9b7912191be805c8e2a.jpg

Back + Biceps day today, my favourite! Reps have dropped to 10 on harder weight, I'm loving it.

- forward pulldown

- lat pulldown

- seated row

- T-bar row

- back extension

- bicep barbell curls (slight problem with swinging my back a tiny bit when I'm getting tired, thank goodness for strict trainers!)

- incline bicep curls

- hammer curls

Followed up by a cycle class.

My best training this week has been reading Robert's book, in fact that's the best part of my workout because I read it on the bus

post workout photo: yep, more evidence of how much body fat I have to drop! Some days I find it hard not to get discouraged but I started off three dress sizes bigger. I'd like to say I have visible abs but they jiggle too much for that

Oct23rd2012backbicepsday.jpg.706c48cb1a0bfd3c440593b23f818f57.jpg

Chest + Triceps day today:

- wide hands pushups

- flat dumbell press

- incline dumbell flies

- decline dumbell flies

- tricep kickbacks

- standing EZ bar triceps press

- two handed overhead dumbell tricep press

- 1 arm cable tricep suplinated grip

1 hour bootcamp class which was boxing, skipping, jogging

Felt sick all day with no appetite, wasn't sure how training would go but felt better afterwards and got my appetite back.

post workout vanity tricep-under-the-fat photo...

tricep1.jpg.abdfdb25409c9346dbf498a039f6f8dd.jpg

Amazing workout! New PB!

I had a great session this morning. Hit a new PB on shoulder press. Ate a Thrive (Brendan Brazier) energy bar recipe right before workout, and smoothie earlier for breakfast and a Thrive recipe for dinner last night. I haven't eaten like this before for a long time (really good fueling) and I felt so energetic. Previous PB was last week or so, and I was convinced I'd stay on that weight for a few more months, as that has been the pattern and even a 1kg jump feels different halfway through a set. Trainer-buddy only lets me increase weight when I can finish a set unassisted or with minimal assistance on the last few reps. I'm really excited that I've jumped up and convinced my new way of fueling has something to do with it.

Shoulders + Abs day:

- seated dumbell shoulder press (new PB)

- rear delt bentover cable flies (I think...)

- bent over dumbell flies

- front dumbell shoulder raises

- shoulder side dumbell lateral raises

- ab crunches

- oblique crunches

Determined to start eating more nutrient dense foods based on Thrive. Loving some of the recipes but may have to add in more protein on the side. It's a tricky business this wanting to lose body fat but pack on muscle!

Yeah exactly! I tell myself "well hey, this is a consequence of crappy lifestyle choices you made so suck it up!" But at the same time, I am frustrated by my big stomach rolls when doing crunches at bootcamp I also feel really heavy when doing the jogging and I breathe like a dragon.

Speaking of which, morning bootcamp session this morning but where my right hamstring was really sore from the jogging element, my right quad is now super sore and I couldn't do the running without pain. I did a high intensity aerobics class after bootcamp but only managed medium intensity as I couldn't do much with my stupid leg. I couldn't even manage air bike ab crunches because the leg was too sore. so that's annoying.

Today is also day one of me eating nutrient dense foods and trying to fuel my body appropriately for energy and recovery. So I'm considering this my real day 1 of a new program because the eating is going to be squeaky clean.

Bootcamp this morning, pulled my right quad a bit during warmup jog Couldn't do any of the running. Went to a high intensity aerobic class and had to do it medium intensity because my leg was too sore and not moving past a certain point

Had a Krav Maga womens class this afternoon which was great though.

Nutrition has been great today, following recipes from the Thrive book. I took all my measurements and before photos last night. Awful photos but I'm motivated to go hard!

yesterday (Sunday) was rest day with great nutrition.

P90X stretch dvd today to help with my terrible flexibility.

Legs workout:

- leg extension

- smith machine squats (lower back was slightly sore)

- smith machine lunges. Right quad still not good so this hurt with right leg in rear position and I had to stop that leg. Unweighted lunges hurt too. Time to see a physio.

- leg curl

- single leg deadlifts

- seated calf raise

- standing calf raise on smith

Bootcamp, couldn't do the running but I kept up the slow shuffle-jog.

Yep, that's the one Although my class is only a short course tailored specifically towards women and self defence. I've been thinking about starting regular krav maga classes now as I've really enjoyed myself and it's tough!

Today was Back+Biceps:

- front pulldown

- lat pulldown

- seated row

- Tbar row

- back extensions

- barbell bicep curls

- incline curls

- hammer curls

Followed by a cycle class where I worked a bit less because of this stupid leg/hip flexor thing going on.

Eating recipes from 'Thrive' which really are incredibly filling. Love nutrient-dense eating!

Chest + Triceps today:

- wide hands pushups on toes

- incline dumbell chest press

- flat dumbell chest flies

- decline dumbell flies

- EZ bar overhead triceps extensions

- dumbell tricep kickbacks

- two handed dumbell overhead press

- one arm suplinated cable tricep pulldown

Bootcamp afterwards.

Photos today before workout, forgive any mess!

EDIT: my friend has asked me if I am 'standing funny' in the second pic, yes I am!

Oct31_1.jpg.8db8ef9e83a8fe25e4314fab3b226be8.jpg

Oct31_2.jpg.85e98de8bb1f6e89fb3d90978693e71c.jpg

Oct31_3.jpg.39f437328a05973761f5b6db773622ac.jpg

Edited by IronMum

Here's my before shot from June 2011. No date evidence (doh) so you just have to take my word for it, plus some friends are reading this anyway I had bought those 'slimming' jeans but ordered the wrong size by mistake, so they were three sizes too small. As you can see, they barely did up. I could only just button them up for the photo, lying down and my husband had to help me get up to take the snaps. I wore them for the photos as a progress marker. I now wear those jeans all the time and fit in to them easily with no muffin top/souffle going on.

In June 2011 I started going to the gym. I had lost about 10kg in the preceeding six months. I did a cycle class and Body Attack class in my first week of gym membership and thought I was going to have a heart attack both times. I was so unfit that it turned me off going back to fitness classes, so I stuck with weights and cleaned up my nutrition a bit (pre-vegan). Since this photo was taken I am three dress sizes down. My goals are to drop body fat even more and lose another 10kg. Although cardio classes are still unpleasant, I chant to myself "you're already in pain, get a reward from it!"

Even though my photos are all headless it's still a little nervewracking making them public! However I need to be accountable and see where I've come from and where I plan on going.

IronmumJune2011.jpg.557bf2a1384af1d95f75a2a1ffcba498.jpg

Bootcamp this morning. Was supposed to do shoulders+abs in gym afterwards but there was a fair bit of ab work in bootcamp and some shoulders (light weights, high rep stuff...) So trainer-buddy and I called it a day. Can't express how much I dislike low weight-high rep work but as it's part of bootcamp, we have no choice

Eating was a bit crap today but on the plus side, I see just how badly my body reacts to crap food!