My Stronglift 5x5 LOG

After 2 yrs of on and off training i am finally deciding to stick to something simple and that's how i stumbled on Stronglifts 5x5 .

I am a beginner despite some training and will be starting the program from scratch . Looking forward to all the suggestions and tips from you all .

Regards

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23/10/2012

I did my first workout yest and i am starting from scratch , i am not adding the barbell weight as the gym doesn't have standard Barbells the one they have is abt 17kgs and the only place to squat is the smith machine , i know lot of cons but that's the only gym i can afford and at least i'm squatting right ?

My diet well its more like 50% carbs and 25% of fats and proteins ( around 100gms ) consisting mainly of milk , soy , cooked vegetables , peanut butter etc .

DAY 1

SQUATS

10KG 5X5

BENCH PRESS

10KG 5X5

ROWS

10KG 5X5

Tomorrow is Deadlift day lets see how that goes .

25/10/2012

Workout DAY 2

SQUATS

12.5 KG 5X5

OVERHEAD BARBELL PRESS

10KG 5X5

DEADLIFT

25KG 1X5

SQUATS were okay . Smith Machine is my only option for squats , no squat or power rack any tips on how to maintain form on it ??

DEADLIFT was easy as well there was a time i could do 80kgs but will get back there . Will try and get a vid sometime next week .

Postworkout food was a a cup of oatmeal with 500ml milk , 10-12 almonds , a banana and some peanut butter . Time for some more fruits .

@ vegan_rossco

Hey mate its really good to hear from you , i read your log you look pretty good in the pictures and i am glad to have some company here !

Hey its going pretty good i mean my PR's are definitely pretty high on almost everything but that was a while ago so slowly getting back to them is a pain but as the program says what matters is how much i can lift after 12weeks so just increasing the weight gradually , food is one area i am lagging a bit in India its not easy to get avocados , hummus , cottage cheese or soy burritos and other stuff i read people eating , so thats something i am still trying to figure out .

You tell me njoying your workouts ?

Hey there, I started Stronglifts back in Sept and I'm into week 7. It's great when you start getting higher and the results have been awesome. In this 7 weeks my thighs are already crazy bigger and my shoulders are popping. I was all excited because I finally fit into a medium shirt, now I can't fit into them again...but this time because of muscle! I eat a lot of Indian food in my diet. I would guess you can get your hands on some lentils and or chickpeas, that would be a great addition. Actually, a great substitute for the soy. I fall back on soy when I get lazy or rushed, which is more often than I like, but I try to limit it. Brown rice and other grains like couscous and quinoa must be around. Just eat clean and eat all the veggies you can get your hands on. Heck, you can even make your own rice or almond milk.

But most of all...good luck!

Thank you so much for the encouragement , yes i do have my house stocked with lentils and chickpeas but they are not a daily thing , so you guys say i should eat chickpeas daily , a bowl of boiled will do ?

i'l try and sample out a diet here in a day or two along with my pictures and maybe i can get a critique

@putt77 wow man that's amazing i really want my shoulders to grow , this is just week 2 but heck i will make sure i go all the distance , i know it'l be worth in the end .

31/10/2012

WORKOUT DAY 5 , WEEK 2

SQUAT

20kgs 5x5

BENCH PRESS

15kgs 5x5

BARBELL ROWS

15kgs 5x5

The BEnch press is really coming of very easy and i feel very tempted but i am holding back , hope it pays off . Will upload my current pictures and my diet tomorrow .

Thank you so much for the encouragement , yes i do have my house stocked with lentils and chickpeas but they are not a daily thing , so you guys say i should eat chickpeas daily , a bowl of boiled will do ?

i'l try and sample out a diet here in a day or two along with my pictures and maybe i can get a critique

@putt77 wow man that's amazing i really want my shoulders to grow , this is just week 2 but heck i will make sure i go all the distance , i know it'l be worth in the end .

Eat the living FUCK out of chickpeas and lentils! They are your friend. You will need to learn how to cook them nice eventually and make different stuff to keep it interesting but that is a conversation for a different time.

Yeah, boiled, whatever. I mean, that's going to get real boring, real quick. You'll have to start experimenting with spices you like. Throw them over some kale or spinach and make a salad out of them. Throw in basically any and every vegetable you like or have on hand. You obviously have the internet, so Google your ass off looking for recipes that appeal to you. A word of advice: try to keep it simple; otherwise, you'll start to slack-off because it'll be too time consuming. A great way is to find stew-like recipes or big pot recipes. Then you can make two at the beginning of the week and alternate them so you don't burn out.

]Here's a sample of my average diet and some pictures what do you guys say ,

Breakfast

Cup of Quaker Oatmeal

300ml Milk

1tbsp Peanut Butter

1 Banana

10-12 almonds

MORNING SNACK

Banana Shake 400ml / Bowl of Sprouts

LUNCH

Indian Bread (ROTI ) or Rice with any vegetable ( including Lentils somedays ) cooked at home , i try and include some Soy to get that protein in

SNACK

Glass of Milk,Peanut Butter on Brown Bread or Just an apple

Dinner

Same as Lunch

Before Bed

200ml Milk

Some of the days i try and eat some salad mixed with boiled soy , sprouts , cucumber and peanuts .

Edited by captfit

02/11/12

WEEK 2

Workout B DAY 6

SQUATS

22.5 KG 5X5

OVERHEAD BARBELL PRESS

12.5 KG 5X5

DEADLIFT

30KG 1X5

ASSISTED DIPS

2X10

And i just gulped down two bowls of boiled Lentil Sprouts with some sweet potatoes phew . Kidney Beans stew for dinner

Edited by captfit

08/11/12

WEEK 3

Workout B DAY 8

SQUATS

27.5 KG 5X5

OVERHEAD BARBELL PRESS

15 KG 5X5

DEADLIFT

35KG 1X5

ASSISTED PULL UPS

2X5

Squats felt heavy , i had to rest more than 1 min in almost all sets .

Overhead Press was a little difficult the last set , the load was feeling on my back but a good tight ABs contraction helped me pull through it .

Deadlifts went okay

12/11/12

WEEK 4

WORKOUT A Day 9

SQUATS

30 KG 5x5

BENCH PRESS

20 KG 5x5

BARBELL ROWS

20 KG 5x5

Machine Assisted Pull Ups

2x5

After a 4 days break felt okay , rows are feeling a little tough , i'm not keeping the weight down on every rep as i wasn't on 10kgs plates yet but now i have reached 10kg each side , so shall i start doing them the Mehdi way keeping them down every rep ??