The VeganDragQueen's Training Journal

Hey everyone!

Ben Strothmann here (better known as Honey LaBronx, "The Vegan Drag Queen")

And no, I don't work out in drag... but what a sight that would be, huh?

Anyway, at the urging of my friend Michael Harren (MikeyPod) I have started an online training journal.

All my life I've hit the gym hard, and then after about 9 weeks I either get bored, I get sick, I get busy, etc... SOMETHING always gets in my way and I fall off the bandwagon.

Well on or around March 1st, 2012, I went to the gym and have been going (more or less) consistently 3x/week since then.

With a few exceptions... In July I went to Fire Island and was without a gym for almost a week. In stead I went running on the beach and swam laps each day in the ocean. (WOW!! Who needs a gym when you've got the ocean!?!?!)

In August I went to Iceland for two weeks and the very FIRST thing I did was join a gym. I went maybe two or three times a week, but lost a lot of steam when I got back.

In the month of October, I went to the gym a total of three times.

This month I've started going back a bit more. In the past, I would have been discouraged by this derailment of what seemed like a perfect program. But I know not to get discouraged. Every day is another opportunity to get up, dust myself, and go back for more.

I'll admit, I never enjoy the feeling of heading to the gym, knowing a big long workout is ahead of me. But I always know that -- as long as I'm there -- I may as well just attack it and give it my all, because I know I'll feel great when I leave.

And I always feel great about a good work out!

At this point, I feel really strong and I'm definitely getting stronger all the time.

My diet though is just poor. Piss poor! I've got a great big belly I wish I could get rid of, and as much as I long to get rid of it, I seem to have an even stronger desire for pizza and cookies and sugary energy drinks and all the vegan junk food I've come to love in my three years of being vegan.

Here are some things that have definitely worked for me in the past:

The book "Body-For-Life" (long before I ever went vegan, this book really gave me the motivation and guidance I needed)

Fasting (I've done the Master Cleanse a few times a year and it always makes me feel really good)

Trying to incorporate SOMETHING raw and green and colorful into my diet each day.

I feel like at this point, I could either break through this barrier and really start building the body I've always wanted -- or I could JUST as easily fall on my face again as I always do. At only 33 years of age, I actually found myself thinking almost a year ago "Well.... I guess I'm just settling into having the body I'm gonna have as an old man." WHAT???? AT 33?!?!?!?

I was passionate about dance when I moved to New York 12 years ago and showed a lot of promise as a student of tap dance. It's one of those things I wish I'd allow myself to pursue but I just don't.

Currently I aim to hit the gym three days a week. Each day I do (in this order) lifting (3-day-split), then abs, then cardio.

I know I should reserve cardio for off-days. I KNOW, ALREADY!!!!! But if I try to make myself work out 6 days a week I feel like I just won't do it.

In stead of spending more time on a treadmill, I would MUCH rather see myself doing the following cardio activities once a week:

- A tap dancing class (or other forms of dance)

- A spinning class (or a vigorous bike ride around the city)

- A yoga class (I especially love Bikram Yoga!)

- Running in the park

- A stretching class (I hate -- HATE stretching... but I am terribly inflexible and WISH I were a bendy, limber guy!)

In closing, there are a few reasons (vain, or otherwise) that most drive me to want to get in shape.

1) I want to BE a LIVING EXAMPLE of veganism! The next time someone says vegans don't get enough protein or that we can't be strong and healthy, I don't want to get into some long explanation -- I just wanna pull up my shirt or flex a muscle and say "BAM! THAT'S what a vegan looks like!"

2) When I see some hot muscle guy in the city, I immediately feel inferior and unattractive. I know, there are deeper issues there and I need to learn to love myself no matter what I look like on the outside.... yeah, yeah, yeah.... But seriously, if I can get rid of this gut I'm always carrying around and push through my own laziness, weakness, and poor-habits that are holding me back from being my personal best, I could feel so confident in my own appearance

3) I just want to be STRONG again so I can pursue the things I love like dancing and..... yeah, pretty much dancing. When I moved to New York over 12 years ago, my dream was to tap dance on Broadway. The last time I tried to tap dance, I was so winded 30 seconds into a simple routine, I've almost given up on this dream entirely. But I know it could be mine!

There.... that's my first training journal entry. These are my reasons for wanting to get in shape. This is what I'm trying, this is what has worked, and this is what's holding me back.

I am VERY OPEN to encouragement and feedback.

I record my details each time I go to the gym to work out, so maybe I'll start posting those here.

Thanks, everyone!

ALL DONE! Here are my workout details.

BACK

Row/Rear Deltoid Machine

Seat Height = 7

Arm Length = 7

WARMUP

30@ 50

20@ 70

START

15 @ 95

12 @ 95

9 @ 95

2 min rest

Lat Pulldown Machine

Seat height = 6

15@ 80

12@ 80

9 @ 80

2 min rest

Back Extension Machine

Start position = 5

15 @ 170

12 @ 170

9 @ 170

(doesnt feel like i'm targeting glutes enough)

BICEPS

Biceps Curl Machine (Express Line)

Seat Height = 8

WARMUP

30@40

20@65

START

15@80

12@80

9@80

2 MIN

Biceps Curl Machine (Regular)

Seat Height = 6

15@65

12@65

9@65

Barbell Curl (univ. machine)

14@35(x2)

10@35(x2)

9@35(x2)

(or try 40 on another machine?)

AB RIPPER X

(B+ or A-)

CARDIO

30 min in Treadmill

@ 15.0 incline

@ 3.5 speed

w/ 5min cool down

503cal

1.91 miles

THOUGHTS THAT CAME TO ME WITH THIS WORKOUT:

- I'd like to find a stretch class somewhere.

- I need to vary my ab workout!!

- Just in general feels like my whole workout needs an overhaul. I'm too used to it. Time for some new exercises that challenge me in new ways.

I'm trying to get better about going to the gym regularly again! It's really helping to -- after one workout -- look at my calendar and make a date with myself so I know when I'm going back. Today was that day, and so there was no question.

However I woke up at 1pm and told myself I was gonna go right away and get it over with. But now I'm just leaving the gym at 4:15am and I still have computer work to finish before I can go to bed. This is party why I decided to skip abs and cardio tonight.

Lastly -- thanks for all the support I'm getting so far! You guys rock!

NOTE TO SELF: I wanna change my signature to look all cool and concise like Michael Harren's!!!

LEGS

Seated Leg Press Machine

Seat height = 3

WARMUP

30@ 105#

20@ 145#

START

15@ 190

12@ 190

9@ 190

(Accudentally bumped my weight up by 15 pounds, resulting in above stats, but I could actually handle it!  Tough, but a nice challenge!)

2 min rest

Leg Extension Machine

Seat height = 4

Knee = 12

Ankle = M

15@ 100

12@ 100

9@ 100

2 min rest

Hip Abduction Machine (Glutes)

(Full Range of motion)

15 @ 240 <240 feels perfect!

12 @ 240

9 @ 240

(try opening just from the glutes, not pushing with the knees)

SHOULDERS

Shoulder Press Machine

Seat Height = 7

WARMUP

30@30

20@40

START

15@45

12@45

9@45

(If I hadn't been listening to Björk's song "Pluto" on a loop througout this exercise, I never woulda been able to do this!!!). [CHEST POUND!] RAWWWWRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!

Dumbell Lat/Front Raises

15@15

[email protected]

[email protected]

Dumbell Chin Raises

15@30

[email protected]

[email protected]

NO ABS

NO CARDIO

- I definitely felt myself PUSHING harder on this workout than I usually do. I raised the weights considerably on each workout.  I almost could have done more, but I'll get there soon enough.

- I need some new workout music!

- It's just about time to change up all my weight liftinf routines. I've been doing the same exercises for several months now. Time for something new!

A belated welcome to the board!

Saw that you went to Wauwatosa East high school, small world, our first store location was just a few short miles away from there. We lived in Tosa for quite a while right in the heart of the village, but sadly, couldn't afford to buy a home there and relocated to Waukesha some years ago where the cost of living (and having a business) was much more reasonable.

Hope the training goes well!

Today's workout. It is really helping me to always SCHEDULE my next workout (at least picking the day I'll go next.)

Though I must confess. I am still ADDICTED to having an energy drink before my workout. Usually it's an 8.4oz Red Bull, but often it's that AND a Monster drink!! I know this is killing me but I'm too dependent on it as part of my practice.

Dec 2, 2012

CHEST

Chest Press Machine

Seat height = 4

Warmup

30@40

20@60

START

15@80

12@80

9@80

(I'M BACK UP TO 80#!!! I KNEW I COULD DO IT!!!!!!)

2 min rest

Chest Fly Machine

Seat Height = 4

Range of Motion = 5

15@ 90

12@ 90

9@ 90

2 min rest

Push Ups

TRICEPS

Tricep Press Machine

Seat Height = 4

(do half with handles in, then out)

WARMUP

30@50

20@75

START

15@100

12@100

9@100

(I'M BACK UP TO 100!!! Could honestly probably handle 5 more pounds!)

Dumbell Overhead Press

15@35

12@35

9@35

Assisted Tricep Dip

15@85

12@85

9@85

AB RIPPER X (A- or B+)

CARDIO

30 min Tradmill

@ 3.5 Speed

@ 15.0 incline

+ 5 min cooldown

503cal

1.91distance

Today I ate my protein bar immediately after lifting, and before abs & cardio.  Didn't cause any problems.  Gonna do this from now on!

If I'm gonna keep doing the same workouts (even though i feel it's time for a change) then i better start trying to lift all the weight i (safely) can because what i was doing before wasnt such a challenge anymore.

Looking forward to checking out your journal as you continue to progress towards current goals. I struggled with getting back into a consistent routine myself for 4 years and just recently got back into it again. From what I am reading it appears that you are at the point where you are building the foundation for a solid consistent routine. Right on!!

Also if you depend on an energy booster pre workout might I suggest Vega Pre Workout Energizer? It's much more natural than canned energy drinks and delivers a similar kick without the nasty crash.

Thanks, Lean and Green!! I'll look into the Vega Pre Workout Energizer. Sounds like exactly what I meed. To be honest (with myself) it's just the mental idea that I have a little extra something in my system to give me a boost. If I take the Vega stuff, I have a feeling in advance it will do the trick.

Friday, Dec 7 @ 2:45am

BACK

Row/Rear Deltoid Machine

Seat Height = 7

Arm Length = 7

WARMUP

30@ 50

20@ 70

START

15 @ 95

12 @ 95

9 @ 95

2 min rest

Lat Pulldown Machine

Seat height = 6

15@ 85

12@ 85

9 @ 85

2 min rest

Back Extension Machine

Start position = 5

15 @ 170

12 @ 170

9 @ 170

BICEPS

Seat Height = 8

WARMUP

30@40 + Extra

20@65 + Extra

START

15@80 + Extra

12@80 + Extra

9@80  + Extra

2 MIN

Seat Height = 6

15@70

12@70

9@70

15@35(x2) + Extra

10@35(x2) + Extra

9@35(x2) + Extra

AB RIPPER X

(D+)

NO CARDIO

- Bored with Ab Ripper X

- I'd like to start soing cardio first thing in the morning on non-gym days

- Back/Biceps felt great at higher weight!

Dec 14, 2012

CHEST

Chest Press Machine

Seat height = 4

Warmup

30@40

20@60

START

15@80

12@80

9@80

2 min rest

Chest Fly Machine

Seat Height = 4

Range of Motion = 5

15@ 90

12@ 90

9@ 95 < feels better! Try 95 next time! Maybe even 100?

2 min rest

Push Ups

TRICEPS

Tricep Press Machine

Seat Height = 4

(do half with handles in, then out)

WARMUP

30@55

20@80

START

15@105

12@105

9@105

Dumbell Overhead Press

15@40

12@40

9@40

Assisted Tricep Dip

15@85

12@85

9@85

AB RIPPER X (A!!!!!!!!)

It helped to take a little break after Hip Rock/Raise and Heels To The Heavens.  I REALLY kicked butt this time!

CARDIO

30 min Tradmill

@ 3.5 Speed

@ 15.0 incline

+ 5 min cooldown

503cal

1.91distance

It is DEFINITELY time for a new routine!!  I definitely am feeling MUCH stronger -- and I feel like in the last workout or two I have FINALLY gotten to a point where I can really PUSH and grunt and power through weakness for awesome gains...  But I think my efforts can be helped by switching it up.  I think any struggle right now is mostly mental and a change of routine will help shake that.

Also - I met a really hot guy on Wenesday with a picture perfect body.  He is a paramedic and plays competitive volleyball.  That seems the key -- he has an active job (he has to lift the bodies of grown men for a living, 6 days a week!!) and in his free time, he plays sports.  I have been wanting to get into dance for so long, and I've even been thinking about joining some kind of a martial art like kick boxing or mui thai.  Maybe it's time to allow myself to enjoy something like this?

Friday, Dec 17 @ 12:40am

BACK

Row/Rear Deltoid Machine

Seat Height = 7

Arm Length = 7

WARMUP

30@ 50

20@ 70

START

15 @ 95

12 @ 95

9 @ 95

2 min rest

Lat Pulldown Machine

Seat height = 6

15@ 85

12@ 85

9 @ 85

2 min rest

Back Extension Machine

Start position = 5

15 @ 160

12 @ 160

9 @ 160

BICEPS

Seat Height = 8

WARMUP

30@40 + Extra

20@65 + Extra

START

15@80 + Extra

12@80 + Extra

9@80  + Extra

2 MIN

Seat Height = 6

15@70

12@70

9@70

14@35(x2) + Extra

10@35(x2) + Extra

9@35(x2) + Extra 

AB RIPPER X

(B+ or A-)

NO CARDIO

- Time for a new EVERYTHING!

- Helps to take a break mid-Ab Ripper X

Wednesday, Dec 19

SHOULDERS

Shoulder Press Machine

Seat Height = 7

WARMUP

30@30

20@40

START

15@45

12@45

9@45

Dumbell Lat/Front Raises

[email protected]

12@15

9@15

Dumbell Chin Raises

[email protected]

12@30 

9@30

LEGS

Seated Leg Press Machine

Seat height = 3

WARMUP

30@ 110

20@ 150

START

15@ 190

12@ 190

9@ 190

2 min rest

Leg Extension Machine

Seat height = 4

Knee = 12

Ankle = M

15@ 115

12@ 115

9@ 115

2 min rest

Hip Abduction Machine (Glutes)

(Full Range of motion)

15 @ 245

12 @ 245

9 @ 245

NO AB RIPPER X

NO CARDIO

- WAYYYY too tired to be at the gym! This was FAR too late! Must stop procrastinating!!!

- This was my LAST time doing the same routine!  Next time I hit the gym, I need new exercises!  Time to REALLY push myself!!

• 2 weeks later...

Dec 23, 2012

CHEST

Incline Dumbell Press

Warmup

30@20

20@30

START

15@35 (forgot to warmup and did this set first -- did warmups next, then resumed at 40)

12@40

9@40

2 min rest

Flat Dumbell Flyes

15@ 30

12@ 30

9@ 30 < feels awesome!! I can really feel my center and outer pecs getting stronger!

2 min rest

Push Ups

TRICEPS

Skull Crushers

WARMUP

30@20

20@30

START

13@40

12@40 < I mean JESUS!!!!!

9@40

Tricep Dips (Flat Bench)

Pulley Pushdowns (Rope)

15@20 (x2)

12@25 (x2) I don't like the way this machine feels. Can't really stabilize triceps. Feels Iike my back and shoulders get involved too much.

9@25 (x2) Meh... I'd rather go back to overhead Dumbell press or assisted dip machine on this set.

8 MINUTE ABS

NO CARDIO

- This is EXACTLY what I needed!!! I feel like I REALLY challenged myself!

- Posting this a few days after the workout - I was very sore for 3 or 4 days after the workout. May have pushed a little too hard but still, gonna give it all I got next time! I can feel that this is the beginning of a major breakthrough for me! I feel like I'm gonna finally start to see some growth and definition!

Friday, Dec 28 @ 4:25am

Weight Assisted PullUps

WARMUP (2 min Rest Btwn Sets)

[email protected] [email protected] More@85

[email protected] More@85 < TOUGH!!!

(next time try 30@85, then 20@70)

5@40 + 3@55

7@55

7@55

10@85

10@115

10@145

THERE!!!!!! My back has been ASSASSINATED!!!!!! (In a loving, compassionate, vegan manner.)

This is my first time so it seems impossible, but I think after my next two workouts I'm gonna be SO much stronger!!!

ONE-ARM DUMBBELL ROWS

Pull weight to hip, not outward

ARCH back (flat!)

Stick with sets of 15, 12, 9

15@25

15@25

9@25

DROP SET

9@20

9@15

Awesome! I've never really enjoyed doing these cuz I couldn't feel the burn. Now I can, though it's still tricky to get my form just right.

ALTERNATE EXERCISE

(FOR NEXT TIME)

Reverse grip pulldown

BICEPS

Incline Curls (incline bench around 70%)

Alternating:

1st 1/3rd palms up

2nd 1/3rd twist

3rd 1/3rd palms in

WARMUP

30@10

20@15

15@20

12@20

9@20

DROP-SETS

9@15

9@10

[email protected]

Preacher Curl Machine ---> feel free to alternate order of these workouts each time

15@80

12@80

9@80

DROP-SET

9@50

12@30

15@20.

8 MINUTES ABS

(B+)

20 MIN STEP CLIMB

start @ 7

Peak @ 12

+5 min cool down

Dist 2.15

Calories 250ish? (disappeared too soon!)

- Another AWESOME workout!!' Thanks to Dave for the advice on back/biceps!

- Feels like I can really target my back now!

- Probably gonna be really sore tomorrow!

- Was gonna skip cardio and abs but it's real easy to fit in the 8-min ab routine and a quick 20 minute cardio!

• 4 weeks later...

I have been watching your cooking youtubes and I absolutely love what you are doing. I especially loved your line in Episode 6 from A Chorus Line! I almost fell out of my chair laughing - I'm a musical fan as well as an occasional performer for fun. Keep up the good work!

I was inspired by your Tofu Scramble recipe. Last night for dinner, I wilted an entire bundle of spinach, added a cubed block of firm tofu, tomatoes, poblano peppers, nutritional yeast, and cayenne. There was so much water from the tofu and veggies that I didn't need any oil to cook. So fricken good. Thank you!

• 8 months later...