Chris' Training Stuff

Here is my current program, all weights are in pounds, current weight is 225. Split into days so it will post, here is day 1

Day 1

Dumbbell Bench Press

4 x 6 at 90 each arm

Lat Pull Down

4 x 10 at 150 - slow 2 secs down, pause, 3 secs back up

Incline Dumbbell bench (weight is each arm)

1 x 10 at 70, 1 x 8 at 75, 1 x 6 80

One Arm Rows - 3x 10 at 80

Decline Bench - 1 x 10 at 190, 1 x 8 at 200, 1 x 6 at 220

Seated Rows

3 x 12 at 200, the machine at my gym doesn't go any heavier

Edited by sydneyvegan

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DAY 3

Seated shoulder press - 1 x 10 at 130, 1 x 8 at 155, 1 x 6 at 165

Front Raises- 1 x 12 at 28, 1 x 10 at 33, 1 x 8 at 39

Lateral Raises - 1 x 10 at 28, 1 x 8 at 33, 1 x 6 at 39

Cable Lateral raises - 1 x 10 at 20, 1 x 8 at 29, 1 x 6 at 40

Shrugs - 1 x 12 at 66, 1 x 10 at 77, 1 x 8 at 88

Machine Shoulder press- 1 x 10 at 120, 1 x 8 at 140, 1 x 6 at 150

Day 4

Cardio

Day 5

Bicep Curls - 21s, 3 sets at 70

1 arm Tricep push downs - 1 x 12 at 60, 1 x 10 at 70 1 x 8 at 80

Reverse curls supersets with Inclined dumbbell curls

1 x 10 at 60 ss 1 x 10 at 33 - 3 sets of these

Rope extensions supersets with rope pushdowns

1 x 10 at 110 ss 1 x 10 at 100 - 3 sets of these

Preacher curls - 1 x 12 at 70, 1 x 10 at 90, 1 x 8 at 110

Dips - 3 x 15 or more if I can

Day 6 and Day 7 are rest days, then it is back to day one...

I work abs most days, so I haven't included them.

Hey, sydneyvegan! I *love* your avatar . Elephants are wonderful. They are the kind of animal I'd like to talk to

You know, I'm not a strength trainer, sorry; but maybe it will help if you post your goals so others might comment or suggest!

What do you want advice on and for what?

Just wanna post you some support. Sadly, there isn't much commenting on journals on this board -- I really don't know why. You can try http://www.veganfitness.net/forum/index.php where you will get a lot of help.

Not that I want you to leave here it's just there isn't much feedback here in journals. Stick around, though

Hey SV.

Your goals would be good to know

If your goal is strength, you'd be better off with less isolation work and you wouldn't need an extra day for arms.

It seems like the smaller the muscle group, the more exercises and sets you do. Personally i think it's better the other way round (no matter what goal).

Oh, and on your leg day, i'd do 10min bike, then squat, then do 30min bike.

Thanks Everyone...

Ok a bit more about My background and Training Goals...

I have been training seriously for about 2 years and have gained about 15kg's as well as reducing my bodyfat percentage... I currently train 5 days a week, play volleyball 2 times per week, as well as cycling and walking when I get the chance....

My goal is basically to gain more muscle (but usable muscle, hence the strength aspect, I really don't want huge bulk, yet have no strength to go with it) but at the same time reduce my body fat percentage (ideally to get a flat stomach and a six pack). I tend to change my routine every 6 weeks or so, switching from building phases to fat reducing phases...

Chris

Did Chest and Back today (see day 1 above)...

Added Cable Cross overs and Pec Deck to the routine... I figure I am only doing chest once a week, so I should work it as much as possible...

That and I watched a guy bench pressing do a set of 6 at 400 pounds, it sort of inspired me somewhat...

I will add some more to my leg day as well, given that I am only really doing squats...

Hey,

Thanks to the advice of Daywalker etc, I changed my leg routine today...

Hopefully I can get the weights and the reps up soon, I suffered a bit today from 3 hours of volleyball training on Sunday... It would seem 'volleyball' legs take a few days to disappear.

Warm up,

Leg extensions -

3 x 12, 200 pounds

Squats - (Smith Machine) as my gym doesn't have a squat rack

1 x 12 at 220

1 x 12 at 260

1 x 8 at 350

1 x 2 at 440 (I wanted to see what I could do)

Leg Press (inclined)

1 x 12 at 440

1 x 10 at 520

1 x 4 at 616

Hamstring curls

3 x 12 at 110

Calf raises

3 x 20 at 150

10 minutes on the bike

Oh and Thanks Raven for the thoughts on my Avatar, I love elephants, I think they are a totally amazing animal, gentle, strong and Vegan yet with the ability to remember people who have hurt them and wait to get their revenge....

Hey,

Thanks to the advice of Daywalker etc, I changed my leg routine today...

Hopefully I can get the weights and the reps up soon, I suffered a bit today from 3 hours of volleyball training on Sunday... It would seem 'volleyball' legs take a few days to disappear.

Warm up,

Leg extensions -

3 x 12, 200 pounds

Squats - (Smith Machine) as my gym doesn't have a squat rack

1 x 12 at 220

1 x 12 at 260

1 x 8 at 350

1 x 2 at 440 (I wanted to see what I could do)

Leg Press (inclined)

1 x 12 at 440

1 x 10 at 520

1 x 4 at 616

Hamstring curls

3 x 12 at 110

Calf raises

3 x 20 at 150

10 minutes on the bike

Oh and Thanks Raven for the thoughts on my Avatar, I love elephants, I think they are a totally amazing animal, gentle, strong and Vegan yet with the ability to remember people who have hurt them and wait to get their revenge....

Hey, SydneyVegan You training for a volleyball tournament or something? Sounds fun!

I was never any good at volleyball; but playing on the beach is fun and an awesome legs workout,you're right!

I used to run regularly on the dry sand when I lived at the beach a few years ago -- LOVED it! I miss it so Early in the morning, the dolphins would be so close to the shore, I would run with them! So beautiful. Now that is the best legs workout I've ever experienced!

Elephants ARE truly amazing. Sometimes I wonder if some just stand out more to me because some animals exhibit certain traits more easily recognized, and, while I am anthropomorphizing, this allows me to relate in a more intimate way; when it's possible that they all actually have similar traits, they just aren't detectable by me. So perhaps the fleas and ants are just as gentle and strong and get their -- well, let's call it, "reckoning" as well as elies; and I just can't see it

Anyway, getting way off track here,

Good luck with your training, and I look forward to seeing your progress!

The Volleyball I do is indoor. but all the crouching, jumping etc seems to really work your legs. It was just normal training for me... It is always 3 hours, it usual involves drills. spiking and then a couple of games.

Beach Volleyball can be a lot of fun, easier on the body as well when you dive for the ball...

Today was just a normal Shoulder day, nothing exciting to report, I found the last sets hard going put I was able to push it out...

I hope all animals are able to get some form of reckoning when they are treated badly, be it a flea or a whale...

Chest Today...

Feeling it a lot after a long weekend here and a late night watching the Socceroo's game against Japan...

Managed 2 very difficult reps at 265, but did better on the inclined bench press with a nice set of 6 reps at 175...

Also starting a detox this week, so I am giving up Coffee, refined sugar, and chocolate... I think the coffee will be the hardest thing

Legs today...

Managed to set a new mark for Inclined leg press today, so I am very happy

1 x 12 at 440

1 x 10 at 528

1 x 10 at 704

1 x 8 at 792

1 x 6 at 880

Squats and other exercises, I was a little down on weight, but I'm not that surprised after the leg press

Shoulders today... I didn't manage to go up in weight, but I concentrated a lot on my technique, so they were all really good sets... Finished with a nice set of standing (push) presses... I play volleyball tonight so that shoulders will get another workout, given that I am a hitter/blocker...

Shrugs I was able to do 3 sets of 12 at 88 , so I'll have to see if I can better that next week.

Arms Today,

Started off with Chins and dips, then did the normal arm work out that I have listed above, I've gone up a few pounds in most of the sets, but nothing really to write home about... I added some hammer curls at the end.

I'm sure my arms feel bigger already, unlikely I know

Chest and Back today, my gym buddy decided he couldn't be bothered today. I tried asking nicely, a few hand gestures, followed by all out insults but he wouldn't budge, so I had to go it along today...

Bench pressing I tried to really concentrate on form, making sure I touched my chest at the bottom of every movement...

I did 5x5 at 220, so I was happy with that...

I then followed it up with incline dumbbell presses, decline bench (making sure I touched my chest again) and then some flyes...

For Back I did, Lat Pull downs, One armed Rows, Seated rows...

I just wish my gym would turn the heater down, I realise it is winter here, but it was ridiculous.... It felt like I was training in a sauna

Legs Today,

Started off with Squats and was going rather well. Nice deep sets and good weight. Then I got side tracked and decided to do a few Dead lifts... They were going well until I got a little carried away and decide to go heavy without concentrating on form

As a result I tweaked my back so I couldn't do squats and was limited to doing a few leg exercises that minimise the use of the lower back... I did lots of stretching and then had a nice hot shower but my lower back is pretty stiff and sore... I should have been a lot more careful as my lower back has always been a little weak. I usually do a lot of lower back work to keep it strong, but I have been very slack lately and have let that slip, I guess this was my wake-up call... I think deadliftts over 300 pounds are off the agenda until my lower back is stronger...

No weight training today, due to my back, but I was able to do some cardio, so I feel a little less lazy. My back is improving quickly and I am not walking like the Thunderbirds anymore, so I look forward to doing some lifting tomorrow...

The detox, I started last week is going very well, apart from a couple of coffee's when I couldn't face work. I haven't been tempted by chocolate or vegan junk food at all.

Isn't coffee the standard vegan junk drink??? Its liquid cocaine for all vegans I go to school with...I haven't tried this yet but I will eventually. Braziers book THRIVE speaks of depriving your body completely of simple sugars...do that for a couple days and you adjust...then eat or drink something with fruit in it and you'll move like a machine...it kinda like leg pressing your max then dropping down to 200lbs or something.

Yeah it is a bit of a standard junk drink, I just can't help it though, I love the stuff... I only usually drink 1 cup per day and I have managed to cut that back even further, hopefully in time I will give up my drug of choice...

I like the idea of depriving myself of simple sugars and then giving myself a boost with a piece of fruit etc... I think that could work well for that extra boost you need sometimes when you want to train extra hard.

It's surprising how people react when you tell them you are giving up sugar, junk food etc (even other vegetarians and vegans) they look at you like you are mad... Oh well, I'm hoping to enter the summer shape-up challenge, so I will need all the help I can get...

Yeah I'm kinda weirded out by eating at the vegan vacation. I don't really want to eat the junk food but I don't think I can resist as a somewhat reasonable person...well I have to pretend to be reasonable when I get there because no human should be able to look at a vegan soft serve machine or donut rack without diggin in