klaatus journey

in the past 5ish months Ive been stripping the fat to get to a good foundation level. today was day 1 of building my self back up the proper way, Ive done the gym thing twice before but never got anywhere through being distracted by the razzle dazzle of the likes of isolation moves and supplements. this time is different, im just eating clean and often and starting strong-lifts 5x5.

squats

20kg

bench

20kg

bent over row

30kg

was all pretty easy as expected but i was mainly concentrating on form, really stoked to get back there on Wednesday.

Edited by klaatu21

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12/12/12

day two of strong lifts 5x5

squats

22.5kg

overhead press

20kg

deadlifts

40kg

squats are still super easy, dead lifts were fun too, i can see im going to struggle with overheads soon but thats expected.

ive worked out my nutrition too, at the minute its an average of 2700 cals, 20% protein, 60% carbs and 20% fat, 143g protein, id rather err on the side of caution and eat more if im not gaining enough rather than ruin all the fat loss ive done just for a little extra muscle.

Good luck in your journey, already looks like you are off to a solid start.

Look forward to seeing how you progress ~ you're absolutely correct in thinking you should be focusing on the basic big compound movements. Think of the isolation movements as the icing on the cake part, makes things more complete but not essential.

the misses is out on her works christmas doo so im having a night in with you tube, i was getting a slight twinge in my lower back on the rows too, is that normal? hell yeah majorly long weekend, i only get one week end of a month from work, cant even get on the bike cos itll be pissing it down with gale force winds, might see if i can get a game of squash in, i hate being lazy

17/12/12

day two of strong lifts 5x5

squats

27.5kg

overhead press

22.5kg

deadlifts

45kg

squats are getting slightly taxing now, but still plenty of room to progress, oh presses are a little harder but my lower body is way way stronger than my upper body but no failed reps, deads were piece of cake, really wish i could do more often.

I thought I'd also post this up in here as I figured some other people reading this might get something from what I have written...

How far will do you think you will be cycling in training on average? How far is the charity ride?

IMO it's not just a case of trying to eat 1,000 cals and hoping for the best. You really need to make sure that you are eating consistently every hour during the ride and also you are eating a little more than normal afterwards (high protein + moderate-high carbs). Have you tried using gels? Those things are great, liquid food. Double check obviously whether the brand is vegan but normally they'll give you between 100-150cals so I used to get through a couple every hour when I was cycling and a sports electrolyte drink as well (better than water when you are exercising for an hour or longer). Then you can look at convenient, high energy food, bananas are great as are small food items such as the odd cookie here and there I use a sports specific cookie, you probably can't get them where you are but you might be able to get something similar...

http://www.powercookies.com/uploaded/thumbnails/db_file_img_8_160xauto.jpg

http://www.powercookies.com/products/

Caffeine can be useful towards the end of the ride, I wouldn't use it at the start or middle for two reasons, 1) it's a diuretic, so apart from making you need to pee it will slightly dehydrate you 2) you'll get a drop off effect as the caffeine wears off, not what you want through a ride.

As soon as you're back home and off your bike get a protein shake into with some carbs (fruit is great) and then a proper meal about an hour or so afterwards. I'd keep the calories a little higher than normal for the remainder of the day as your metabolism and HR will be raised while your body adapts and recovers from the session; this can be anywhere from a couple of hours through to 12hrs depending on both the individual and the intensity/duration of the workout. Hope some of this helps, chur chur MF.

When I said 1000 calories it was just an example, I was trying to work out that if for example I'm consuming X amount of calories to build lean muscle and I burn 1000 calories on a cycle, is it as simple as eating an extra 1000 after. I'm not sure how much training I'll be doing. I'll hopefully be out cycling as often as as long as I can, purely for the fun of it. But the actual charity ride is approximately 874 miles so I'm aiming for around 10 days. As far as I know for fuel I'll be using lots of bananas and dates, tortillas and peanut butter, still not looked into gels much and still looking into other options, gonna do some experiments when I'm out training.