Jub, a Vegan in the Gym

JubNZ

Hey all,

So time to get serious about this training. Joined the Gym a couple months ago, however have been going pretty infrequently (prolly 1.5 a week average). Have had a weird elbow soreness since the start of gym that has knocked my confidence a bit (normally I get random sore things and it goes away). Think I might go get it checked out at Physio later this week.

Background:

Played sports plenty in school days, golfer and rugby player.

Since Uni, have played sports casually every now an again, but nothing regular. Played poker during Uni so that along with beers meant I got a bit of a beer gut.

Finished Uni, straight into work force, went for runs occasionally. However 5~ months ago, came across plant based eating, and after lots of reading/research went Vegan on October 2nd 2013. Have slipped up minor occasions here than there but 99% of time have avoided dairy and meat without issues.

I have a passion for being vegan now as I feel so good overall. I then got the idea I wanted to be a Vegan PT. I still do, I signed up for a PT course however pulled out prior to the start date as I didnt realise just how unfit I was.

I have never been 'muss', but I would like to gain some size. But I want my fitness to get back to where it once was.

I have a rough idea where I want to head, but I will explain that in the next post. Just want to get this thread started!

Hope you enjoy following along!

Jub.

Edited by JubNZ

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All the best, look forward to following your progress.

Nice to see someone else from the Southern Hemisphere, I'm from Christchurch, NZ

Cheers man, Im a Wellington boy originally! Always supported the crusaders tho!

You should find a gym buddy! My boyfriend, his friend, and I all go to the gym almost everyday and we all keep each other going because no one wants to skip while the other person is out getting buff.

I think thats defo what will help me. A guy at work in my team goes to the same gym but he has a PT for now, I cant justify the cost of a PT right now. But I think I should be able to suss a couple the lads to join my gym (Genesis)!I would feel exactly as you all would, no doubt about it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So leading up to Xmas, my main focus is going to be starting to measure what exactly I eat per day roughly when I have my typical meals. I'm not 100% sure what my goals are training wise yet, but this week my goals are, in no specific order):

1 - Take not of how much macro nutrients I consume daily.

2 - Get more Protein Powder before my current one goes out.

3 - Get all my measurements done.

4 - Get someone (physio?) to look at my elbow which has been been painful for a couple months now. Normally these pains go away but this one is lingering and getting annoying.

5 - One can of soda absolute max (my one annoying habit).

6- 2 runs, 2 workouts.

Cheers man, Im a Wellington boy originally! Always supported the crusaders tho!

GO THE CRUSADERS !!

Dan, Richie... we've pretty much got half the All Blacks in our team haha

Haha it is true tho!

Rightio, so today I was fairly tired all day, didnt get much sleep but I was determined to do at least some exercise. I ran 2km, completed it in 9mins flat. I generally go for 4 km runs, I am happy with 9 mins. I am heading to NZ on the 10th of Jan so if I can run under 18mins for 4km I will be really happy.

Eating wise:

Wake up -> 10g of Vital Greens (300mls of water)

Protein: 3.6g

Carbs: 4.0g

Fats: 0

26 calories

Breakfast -> ~180grams of oats, 250ml of Soy Milk, 2 dates and a small banana

Protein: 26.8g + 7.7g + 0.4g + 1.3g = 36.2g

Carbs: 112g + 11g + 15g + 27g = 165g

Fats: 18g + 2.5h + 0.1g + 0.4g = 21g

Calories: 120 + 95 + 30 + 105 = 350c

Snack -> 70 grams Cashews ~

Protein: 13 g

Carbs: 21 g

Fats: 30 g

380 calories

Lunch -> 1/2 cup spinach. Cup tomato. Bread Roll.

Protein: 2.7g + 1.6g + 3g = 7.3g

Carbs: 3.5g + 7g + 23g = 33.5g

Fats: 0.2g + 0.4g + 2g = 2.6g

20 calories + 30 calories + 160 calories = 210 calories

Avo -> 25g Pea Protein Shake

Protein: 20.5g

Carbs: 0.225g

Fats: 0.325g

91 Calories

Dinner -> 240g Kidney Beans, 100g Green Peas, 1/2 cup rocket, 1 cup Pineapple

Protein: 12g + 4.8g + 2.7g + 1g = 20.5g

Carbs: 38.4g + 6.4g + 3.5g + 20g = 68.3g

Fats: 1.2g + 0.4g + 0.2g + 0.2g = 2g

204 calories + 61 calories + 20 calories + 80 calories = 365 calories

1 can of Solo (naughty)

Carbs: 45.4g/175 calories

101.1g Protein

337.4g Carbs

56g fat

1600 calories.

I'm not sure what all this means really, but I'm glad I got this down on paper (webz?) for a start. If anyone wants to chime in with anything that would be great. I normally eat a bit more during the day. In total I would have drank ~2 litres of water after Green Teas etc.

4.30/km is pretty fast mate, good work !!

Where in NZ you coming into, just flying back to Welly to catch up with family? Give me a shout if you're planning to come down to the South Island, would be rude not to go for a beer hehe.

Cheers man.

Will be Rotorua (stag do and wedding oh yea) and Wellington. If I get back to Chch will defo let ya know!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Went to the gym today for a wee workout. Left work late but still went which was good!

Kettle bell swings 12/10 12/10 12/10

2 min ab routine

Leg Press 12/80 12/90 12/90 12/100

2 min ab routine

Calf Raises 8/12 8/12 8/12 (each leg)

2min ab routine

Swissball squats x 30 (no weight as my elbow doesn't agree, but want to get my squat posture good)

Eating was good today, similar to yesterday, but also had 180g of tofu and will have a orange and carrot juice that I will make shortly!

Ate well today again, no soda - win! Went to a Night Market this evening, there was an epic selection of cuisine, Arab, Dutch, Afghan, Indian, Spanish, Caribbean, Polish and others I cant remember. Ended up going with the Caribean, got these chick pea things on Skewers (cant remember the ingredients, but it was Vegan friendly ), was so tasty!

Going to go do some wee exerise soon, but for now, I am writing down my measurements. These were taken a 17 Oct months ago, I would say there has been minimal change, good to have for reference rather than this post it note in my wallet

Weight 65.6kg

Bicep 27.5cm

Chest 89cm

Hip 92cm

Waist 80cm

Thigh 48cm

Calf 26cm

I am 171cm tall

Tomorrow is good workout after work - yay

Xmas shopping - urgh

Cheers C.O. , us kiwis are everywhere, there may only few 4.4million or so but we try push above our wait

Am on holiday in Tasmania atm, have eaten well last couple days still.

Went to the gym on the 21st, another leg workout, much the same as the previous one. I am going to get a PT sesh on the 27th or 28th, bit worried about my elbow and pushing it so having a sesh with her will help me confidence wise/wheres my limit.

Am able to do push ups all gravvy tho, just did the 12, 11, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6 , 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 (78 total) with 30 second planks in between and 3 rests after the girlfriend crashed early (red wine was involved in that haha)

Red wine, girlfriend... hope you didn't take advantage of that lol ?!

Have a great Christmas Day mate MF.

Haha, wouldnt ever dare do that..... :P. Cheers, Xmas was choice

Tasmania (Hobart) was very cool, 4 nights there. We did heaps of walking each day and its like Wellington in that many hills around neary suburbs so that was fun. Did 3 lots of 78 pressups while down there.

Today I just did some of the girl friends DVD yoga workout with her, got a sweat up which is handy and I have done yoga probably 4 times now and am a tiny bit more coordinated than I was

Tomorrow I hope to sneak in that PT session I was wanting! The gym I go to is closed, but open for PT sessions so hopefully she has a free spot!

2013 goals:

1 - Get 200 workouts in minimum. I will be moving from Melbourne to Canada mid March and probably do a lil bit of travelling so there will e days where I will genuinely be too busy. Ultimately I would like 250, but we will see how the year goes.

2 - Complete a tough mudder course

3 - Eat lots of Vegan goodness

4 - Gain 9kg, 66ish atm with pretty much no muscle. Havent looked into how easy it is to put weight on in muscle but 75kg is a goal I can push for.

Jan Goals:

1 - 22 workouts

2 - Keep this updated

3 - PT session either tomorrow or the next

Didnt work out on the 1st, ended up drinking

Workout 1: Simple 1000 skips and 200 ab movements.

Workout 2: With PT, we decided best way for me to get my confidence back is just to take it very easy for the next month with light weights. Overall feels okay now. Going to get a small dumbell and do the Skull Cruncher and Dumbbell Twist while watching TV etc

Chest Press: 15kg x 12, 15 x 12

Seated Row: 10kg x 12, 10 x 12

Skull Cruncher: 2kg x 12, 2 x 12

Smith Machine Pull Up: BW x 30

Dumbbell Twist: 2kg x 12, 2 x 12

Leg Press: 90kg x 12, 90 x 12

Leg Curl: 30kg x 12, 30 x 12

Standing Calf Raises: 2kg x 12, 2 x 12

200 Ab Movements

Hope your New Years hangover wasn't too bad mate, onwards and upwards now aye.

How long did that session above take you?

Cheers man, hangover was not too bad/if it existed haha.

That session, took ~50mins I think. I should keep a eye on how long todays workout will take. 40 degrees in Melbs today, they better be cranking the A/C!!!

Yeah, I heard the temperature is crazy with you guys right now. Hard to leave the house when it's like that!

Mid 20's here and really pleasant, it's when it starts getting into the 30's I struggle a bit.

Haha, I’m the same as you, can’t wait to get back to NZ next week where the head is just that much less!

Workout 3 (Saturday 5th):

Hamstring Curls: 12 x 30, 12 x 36

Calf Raises: 12 x 6, 12 x 6

Leg Press: 12 x 64, 12 x 64 (not sure how this is different to the one at other gym, but the weighting is definitely weird)

Swiss ball Squats: 12 x 5, 12 x 5

Ab Twist: 12 x 3, 12 x 3

2min Ab Routine

Dumb bell Twist: 12 x 3, 12 x 3

Smith Machine Pull Up: 15 reps, 15 reps. 15 reps, 15 reps

Workout 4 (Sunday 6th): Had to be a quicker one than planned as Gym was losing on 40 mins and needed to shower before left.

Kettle Bell Swing: 12 x 8, 12 x 10, 12 x 10

Skull Cruncher: 12 x 3, 12 x 3

Big Bar Squats: 12 x 27.5, 12 x 27.5, 12

x 27.5

Pec Fly: 12 x 30, 12 x 36, 12 x 36

Swiss ball Squats: 12 x 5, 12 x 5, 12 x 5

So at 200 workouts a year, means I should have gone for 3.28 workouts. 4 workouts finished, ahead of pace

Won’t be much chance of a workout out Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday this week, so will defo go on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. Hopefully will at least get cardio in when I reach Tauranga on Friday! Think this will be the test to see what I’m made of this year!

Monday - Turns out my Sunday workout pushed me more than I thought! Decided to take today off the gym, but did go an get a 3kg dumbell for home. So did my skull crunchers and dumb bell twists, so easy just do them in ads etc. Am doing these each day at home, wanna get my elbow 100%!!!!

Workout (Tuesday 8th)

Not happy with this workout overall, I need to build weekly plans when I get back from NZ otherwise I just walk round and do random stuff.

Kettle bell Swing: 12 x 8, 12 x 8, 12 x 8, 12 x 8

Swiss ball Squats: 12 x 5, 12 x 5 (liking the lighter weight on this as I am defo getting better form which is my aim really for this)

Calf Raises: 12 x 6, 12 x 6

BB Squats: 12 x 22.5 (too many people in mirror when I did this, so flagged it)

Smith Machine Pull Ups: 15 reps, 15 reps, 15 reps, 15reps (liking these!)

Leg Extension: 12 x 36, 12 x 36

Pec Fly: 12 x 30, 12 x 36, 12 x 36

1 min plank + 60 ab twist with 3kg

Today (Weds 9th): Real life stuff came up after work so didnt make it to gym. Have done ma Skull Crunchers and Dumbbell twists tho , also did some lat raises, just enough weight to feel them working!

New Zealand tomorrow night, boo ya!

Hey mate,

No South Island trip this time -> Just got to Tga from Aucks. Rest of trip -> Wellington -> Waikanae -> Rotorua -> Auckland

Fly out on 21st at ome silly morning hour then straight to work once in Melbs haha

A yarn sounds good, I'll PM ya ma number now! Ring whenever, if I dont pickup I shouldnt be too far away tc