Rob's High Intensity Training Log

Hi all,

After conversing with some of the gents here, ive decided to start / keep a training log here...firstly because it will let me look back at my training, and secondly, i hope it will be spark some new idea's for others.

Ive been training for some 20 years now, over the last 5 years i have been intensely researching exercise physiology, nutrition, bio-mechanics and evolution / paleontology (i've learned more about the body through that field of study than any other). I use logic and reason as my guide, i am a critical thinker, and believe that any opinion without scientific base is worthless - there is no room for the arbitrary in science (as Mike Mentzer would have said).

My focus is specifically on hypertrophy training, not strength training, they are two different things altogether (and am not just talking about rep ranges here). I have no desire to ever compete, i do this as it is a wonderful endeavor in and of itself.

Training wise, i been into the theory of H.I.T for the last 14 years, i recent times i've implemented the use of Brain Johnston's techniques, such as cluster sets, zone training, 1 1/4 reps. These techniques produce more of a bodybuilding effect than traditionally performed reps, i'll explain them in more detail in due course.

My preference is with machines, for a couple of reasons, firstly because they allow me to focus more on the contraction, secondly because i have a herniated disc in my lower back (L4-L5), i find certain machine exercises to be easier on my back.

Diet wise, i'm a very plain eater, i eat 5-6 times per day, bar on two days of the week, of those days i fast for 20-24 hours, on those fasting days i only eat twice, i began IFing two years ago, its had a very positive effect on my blood pressure, resting heart rate and recovery ability.

I don't consume any wheat nor do i use supplements, for me, my main food sources are certain oil's such as coconut and olive, fruit & vegetables, oats, wholegrain rice, nuts & seeds, dried fruits, quinoa, certain Beans etc...just the basics. I don't count calories or ratios etc, LOL... if counting calories in vs calories out was necessary - we may never have made it as a species!

Last weeks workouts....

Monday 21/5/13

CHEST -SHOULDERS - TRICEPS

1. Hammer Strength Incline Press (1 1/4 reps)

105kgs x 8 reps to failure

2. Machine Lateral Raise (1 1/4 reps)

67.5kgs x 7 reps to failure

3. Seated Dip Machine (cluster sets)

110kgs x 5 mini sets of 3 reps - last set to failure

Wednesday 23-5-13

BACK / BICEPS

1. Underhand Pulldown (1 1/4 reps)

92.5kgs x 7 reps to failure

2. Chest Support Hammer Row (Cluster Sets)

110kgs x 4 mini sets of 3 reps + 1 mini set of 4 reps to failure

3. Barbell Curl (J-Rep halfs)

40kgs x 12 reps top half to fatigue, then 10 reps bottom half to failure)

Friday 25-5-13

LEGS

1. Leg Presses (1 1/4 reps)

300kgs x 7 reps to failure

2. Calf Presses on the LP

220kgs x 8 reps to failure (holding the contraction for 5 seconds per rep)

3. Weighted Prone Hypers (1 1/4 reps)

BW + 20kgs x 14 reps to failure

* 3 Deep breaths in between each cluster set

** each of my workouts take only 10-20 minutes to complete (intensity of effort is the key, not duration)

The 1 1/4 rep method: Take a bench press for example, you lower the weight to the bottom position, pause, then press up only a 1/4 of the way, pause, then lower to the bottom position again, pause, then press to the top. This would count as one rep.

Another example is let say on a pec deck flye, from the stretched position bring the weight into the fully contracted position, pause, then lower the weight only a 1/4 of the way, pause, then bring back into the fully contracted position, pause, then lower the weight into the stretched position, this would count as one rep.

The benefit of this method: On isolation movements you'll get twice as many contractions per set, and thus create more congestion within the muscles in a much shorter amount of time. On compound movements such as Bench Presses and Leg Presses etc, you wont be able to explode of the stretched position, you'll be forced to control the weight in the bottom / hardest position, to do this you'll need to reduce your weight by 20-30% of what you'd normally use.

Any question's or quires, i'll be more than happy to answer:)

Best wishes

Rob

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great stuff Rob, I will be following along for sure. Can you explain more about the 'cluster reps'?

Look forward to following both your updates and your progress! All the best MF.

Hi MF,

Thanks mate,

The cluster sets is a rest pause method, it creates more of a cumulative fatigue effect which really extenuates the pump while still keeping the exercise within a anaerobic pathway (10-20 seconds bouts of activity, followed by 10-20 second rest pauses).

Brain Johnston explains...

Pick a weight that would allow you to get 10-12 reps to failure (or close to it) with good form, with this weight you will perform 5 mini sets of 3 reps each, taking 3 deep breaths into between each mini set. If you get to the last mini set and you can perform more than 3 reps, do so, that last mini set is to taken failure.

*CAUTION*

Movements such as Squats, Bent Over BB Rows or Deadlifts, do not lend themselves to this method, as the deep lower back muscles (multifidus) do give out quickly, and thus may potentially cause a lower back injury.

Edited by HIT Rob

glad youve made a journal mate! will be interesting to follow along! planning on using some of the techniques youve mentioned already!

Hi MB,

Thanks Mate,

Good stuff, when using these techniques, it may take a few workouts to get used to them, you'll be forced to reduce the weight on 1 1/4 reps and zone training (J-Reps) by up to 20-30%, however you'll find the bodybuilding effect to be greater.

Best

Rob

What i gobbled up today...

8AM

2 baked sweet potatoes, with almond butter and cinnamon and 1 banana

10.30AM

Large bowl of granola with almond milk, and 2 apples

1PM

BIG ASS salad with pumpkin seeds /olive oil and a handful of mixed nuts

3.30PM

a punnet of strawberries

6PM

Home made Vegetable curry on whole grain rice

9PM

After training, a mug of tea with 2 tablespoons of sugar and 3 rice cakes with almond butter.

I just recently heard about this zone training and other HIT stuff, and it sounds like something to try since I have became bored of the standard method, so I'm starting a similar approach now too. Should be interesting to see how your progress goes.

I will admit to you know, never ONCE have I thought about putting cinnamon and banana on my potato. Haha, interesting !!

That food looks awesome, nice to see another almond butter moncher lol.

Oh yes, their lovely with sweet potatoes lol.

Yeah, i've a Jack Lalanne power juicer & nut milk maker, and a nut & spice grinder. I like fresh home made stuff:)

Edited by HIT Rob

I just recently heard about this zone training and other HIT stuff, and it sounds like something to try since I have became bored of the standard method, so I'm starting a similar approach now too. Should be interesting to see how your progress goes.

Hi Kon,

I've been training in H.I.T style for 14 years (bar a several year stint in which wasnt allowed to train due to health issues), there are many approach's of H.I.T, the Dorian Yates approach, Mike Mentzers, Arthur Jones / Darden full body workouts style, Superslow, John Littles Max Contraction Training / static training, Brain Johnston's Zone Training & Tri-Angler training method to name a few...

The problem i've come to find with H.I.T, is the focus thats put on becoming stronger and stronger for the purpose of building muscle (progressive loading is important, but it should not be the key focus for a bodybuilder), strength training and bodybuilding are to different things altogether, i dont know how many times i've read experienced hitters testimonies saying "I got much stronger, yet size did not follow" or "I become more and more de-conditioned training so infrequently", or "My CNS was being overloaded".

I can say from years of personal experience.... i found those statements to be true, as rather than cycle the intensity of effort, most H.I.T trainers recommend training more and more infrequently as you become stronger, AND / OR they recommend reducing the volume of work to as low as only one or two exercise's per workout, this is why so many individuals in H.I.T become de-conditioned.

Brain Johnston is one of the first guys in the H.I.T circles to really address this issue and question the theories of the traditional H.I.T that have become "set in stone", his arguments against this are logical and scientific, there is no "one size fits all " is exercise physiology, hes developed and advocates techniques that produce much more of a bodybuilding effect and that are not as stressful on the CNS, If your training for hypertrophy specifically, then i'd strongly recommend his approach, best wishes and good luck with your H.I.T journey.

Rob

I'm really liking this high intensity training. Been reading your journal. Thanks for posting, its great to steal workout ideas from each other on here. Although Im super lazy when it comes to posting workout details.

My workouts this week

Monday 27-5-13

1. Pec Deck Flye Machine (1 1/4 reps)

80kgs x 7 reps to failure

2. Hammer Strength Decline Press (cluster sets)

105kgs x 3 mini sets of 3 reps (roughly 20 seconds between each mini sets) - last mini set was to failure

3. Machine Lateral Raise (J rep 1/2s)

60kgs x 12 reps (bottom 1/2) to fatigue, followed by a 20 second rest pause, then -

60kgs x 11 reps (top 1/2) to failure

4. Triceps Pressdown (J-Reps 1/2s)

37.5kgs x 12 reps (top 1/2) to fatigue - 20 second rest pause, then -

42.5kgs x 12 reps (bottom 1/2) to failure

Wednesday 29-5-13

BACK-BICEPS

1. Machine Pullover (J-Rep 1/2s)

80kgs x 13 reps (top stretched 1/2) to fatigue - 20 second rest pause, then -

80kgs x 11 reps (bottom 1/2) to failure

2. Chest Supported Hammer Row (1 1/4 reps)

110kgs x 8 reps to failure

3. Preacher Curl Machine (1 1/4 reps)

45kgs x 7 reps to failure

4. D-B Hammer Curls (normal full range)

2 x 22.5kgs - 2 sets of 8 reps - not to failure

Tomorrow night i'll hit ma legs with Leg Extension (1 1/4 reps), Leg Presses (clusters), calf presses (1 1/4 reps) and Prone Hypers (J-Reps).

Been using the pre-exhaustion technique this week, ie pec deck for chest, pullover for the lats and leg extension for the Quads. Its a low stress high intensity technique.

BODY-PARTS AND EXERCISES I DON'T DO....

Shoulders: I feel the frontal delts get sufficient stimulation from incline / decline presses and Dips, so as to reduce any overlapping, i no longer use an overhead press movement, i also dont include any direct rear delt work as i feel they receive more than enough work from back training.

Traps: Im a big Steve Reeves fan, and Steve felt that the bodybuilder should not over develop this muscle group as they can take away from you v-taper... (though he did consume meat and eggs, he would have what he called carb loading "vegan days" 3 days a week. Here he is at his best...

http://ilarge.listal.com/image/866176/936full-steve-reeves.jpg

Abs: I've always felt that AB training was overrated, i feel the abs get sufficient stimulation from most other exercises.

Hamstrings: I've never been a fan of leg curls (seated, lying or standing), i always felt that prone hypers and stiff legged deadlifts were more productive for working the rear chain.

Due to work commitments, i just went with two workouts this week...

Monday 3-6-13

Underhand Pulldown (1 1/4 reps)

Seated Dip Machine (cluster sets)

Chest supported Hammer Row (normal full range)

Pec Deck Flye (1 1/4 reps)

Thursday 6-6-13

Machine Lateral Raise (1 1/4 reps)

Hip Belt Squat (J-Reps)

Hip Belt Calf Raise (normal full range)

Partial Stiff Legged Deadlift

Going to be doing a little experiment with myself in the coming weeks regarding training frequency....

I'm going to be training 2-3 days in a row, followed by 4-5 days rest (or longer if need be). This is another idea brought about by Brain Johnston, he states...

"The metabolism is increased for 24-48 hours after a workout, by training on 3 consecutive days, you can ride a "metabolic wave" of sorts. Working out, then taking a couple of days off, its as though the body enters into a slightly depressed state, but by working out a few days consecutively, the alarm reaction remains heightened and constant."

This makes sense to me, and there is research being done into this phenomenon in Italy.

I'm also going to be focusing more on J-Reps specifically, at 6'4 and having long levers, partial rep style training is something of an equalizer for the taller athlete (but still working all ranges). I also find i get a better bodybuilding effect from J-Reps, while at the same time, recover quicker since my CNS isn't being overloading with maximum loads / resistance. I'll report my findings in due course.

hey Rob, will be interesting to see how the experiment goes, im a fan of bunching my training together then having 5-6 days off........ works quite well for me! im having a 2 week lay off now, but plan on doing friday night, saturday and sunday morning training again soon! do you train at home?

hey Rob, will be interesting to see how the experiment goes, im a fan of bunching my training together then having 5-6 days off........ works quite well for me! im having a 2 week lay off now, but plan on doing friday night, saturday and sunday morning training again soon! do you train at home?

That makes sense to me MB, hit the body hard, then let nature take its course.

I've actually a gym membership and a well equipped home gym in my father-in-law garage, my preference is machines (my gym has Hammer and LifeFitness machines), so most workouts are at the gym, however sometimes i just cant be bothered with a busy gym filled with posers, you know, the ones that look like their auditioning for a part in Geordie shore:)

What is your training split?, i like a push, pull and leg split myself.

...i like a push, pull and leg split myself.

That sounds like a split that could work well, I grew pretty fast on a 3 day HIT routine.

Yeah mate, a 3-4 split works best for me, i find its best for stress management, full body workouts and even 2 way splits i always found were too much in one sitting.

So in the end i decided to go back to using Mike Mentzer's "ideal" workouts for a while again

10-6-13

Chest

1. Pec Deck

110kgs x static hold to failure

supersetted with

2. Hammer Incline Press

115kgs x 3 reps to failure

Back

1. Underhand Pulldown

95kgs x 5 reps to failure (2 second hold in contraction position)

2. Deadlift

140kgs x 5 reps NTF

14-6-13

Legs

1. Leg Extension

110kgs x static hold to failure

supersetted with

2. Leg Presses

340kgs x 8 reps to failure

3. Calf Presses

240kgs x 12 reps to failure (2 second hold in contracted position)

*no direct hamstring work

Super intense workouts and brief (12-20 minute) workouts...love it, forgot how good static holds are, cant say i get a pump from them, but boy ya dont half feel the fibers being recruited.

17-6-13 3rd workout of my split

Shoulders & Arms (Home Gym)....11pm

1. D-B Lateral Raise (slight pause at the top / no swinging)

2 x 12.5kgs - 11 reps + 2 partials to failure

30 second rest, then...

2. Bent Over D-B Laterals (slight pause at the top / no swinging)

2 x 12.5kgs 10 reps + 1 partials to failure

1 minute rest, then

3. BB Curls (4-4 cadence)

42.5kgs x 7 reps to failure

one minute rest, then...

4. Triceps Press-down (4-4 cadence)

42.5kgs x 10 reps to failure

supersetted with...

5. Negative only Dips (4-6 second lowers)

BW + 15kgs x 6 reps to negative failure

Enjoyable workout, contemplating on cancelling my gym membership and just training full time in my father-in-laws garage. Its nice not having to wait on a piece of equipment, its well equipped, free, and its open 24/7.

Home Gym Leg Workout...

1. BB Bench / Box Squat

80kgs x 5 reps

100kgs x 5 reps

130kgs x 5 reps

2. One Legged Squat (J-Reps)

20kg x 3 sets of 12 reps per half (awesome pump)

3. Seated Calf Raise Machine

80kgs x 13 reps to failure (holding the weight in the contracted position for 2 seconds)

Doesn't look like much on paper, but it was a Good brief and intense workout!

Just getting used to BB Squats again, they felt real good, no lower back discomfort...i'll slowly work my way up on this one.

Am not normally a fan of unilateral movements, but the one legged squat is one exercise i do like, the J-Reps provided a tremendous pump in the entire leg.

25-6-13

Chest

1. Low Inline D-B Bench Press (J-Rep 1/3's)

Bottom, mid, then top - 20 second rest pause between each zone - the top zone was the only zone trained to failure

2. Flat Bench D-B Flyes (J-Rep 1/2) - bottom stretched 1/2 only to near failure

20 second rest pause then...

3. Flat Bench D-B Presses (J-Rep 1/2) - top contracted 1/2 only to failure

Back

1. Underhand Pulldown (1 1/4 reps) - to failure

2. D-B Pullover (J-Rep 1/2) - bottom stretched 1/2 only to near failure

20 second rest pause then...

3. Incline Bench D-B Rows (J-Rep half) - top contracted 1/2 only to failure

** Didn't bother counting reps, just focused on going to failure

Just a few full range rep workouts was enough for me, am pining for more bodybuilding oriented techniques again, nothing creates the such a high level of congestion within the muscles better the J-Reps and 1 1/4 rep methods. I've decided to go ahead with my 3 day on / 4-5 day off experiment. Tomorrow it'll be Legs, then Wednesday will be Arms & Shoulders.

Contemplating on adding some supplements into my diet plan, have't taken any in years, i've never used vegan supplements before, i'll give it some thought.

26-6-13

Legs...

1. BB Bench Squats

2. One Legged Squats (J-Reps 1/2's)

3. Romanian DL

4. Hip Belt raise (J-Rep 1/2's)

27-6-13

Arms & Shoulders

1. BB Curl (J-Rep 1/2's)

2. Triceps Pressdown (J-Rep 1/2's)

3. Hammer Curl

4. Dips (negative only)

5. D-B Lateral Raise (3-5 rep cluster sets)

6. Bent Over D-B Lateral Raise (3-5 rep cluster sets)

Good workouts, though have to admit, i miss the machine workouts, i feel they lend themselves better to bodybuilding techniques. The training 3 days in a row was a bit too fatiguing, perhaps two days in a row for me would be better, but for now its a 5-6 days off for recovery:)