Rob's High Intensity Training Log

Create and maintain your own personal online journal. Log your meals and/or workouts, and monitor your progress. Hold yourself accountable and receive support, suggestions, and be open to feedback.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

esqinchi
Elephant

Re: Rob's High Intensity Training Log

#241 Postby esqinchi » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:26 pm

HIT Rob wrote:
esqinchi wrote:Good for you mate! Also, you've been busy lately!

Hey Chris, thanks mate:)

Its been on my mind for a while now, eating eggs and dairy has not produced any better gains than being 100% plant based diet, though, even if it did, its not fair that a animal must suffer for me. I also think us vegans are more creative when it comes to food, you think more about what foods to eat and combined. Its a more varied and thus balanced way of eating.

Absolutely mate. It's interesting you mention gains with respect to consuming eggs. There are so many people out there misinformed that they must consume eggs and chicken breast like religion in order to accomplish any kind of progress. It's not much of a sacrifice anyhow to go without, and certainly better for everyone. I don't think I'll ever be able to eat meat again; I just find it so repellent.

HIT Rob
Gorilla

#242 Postby HIT Rob » Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:23 pm

Been performing the following workout this last few weeks...

Once every 5-7 days...

Leg Presses (accentuating the negative so as not to go too heavy or high in reps)
Hammer Rows (love this machine)
Negative Dips (negative only as am having issues with my shoulder)
+ 2 varying isolation movements
First workout - Pec Deck Flye & Stiff Arm Pulldown
Second workout - Curl & Press-downs
Third workout - Calf Presses & Weighted Back Extension

- Just one set to failure per movement, done and dusted in a mere 20 minutes.

HIT Rob
Gorilla

#243 Postby HIT Rob » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:27 pm

Strong workout today...

1. Hammer Incline Press - 140kgs x 5 reps to failure + 2 negatives
2. Machine Lateral Raise - 80kgs x 8 reps to failure + static hold
3. Weighted Negative Dips - BW (245lb) + 25kg x 7 superslow reps

Resorted back to my old 3 set workouts, 3 way split as they allow me to maximize intensity better, though I enjoy a good full body workout, for me it becomes too much in one sitting after only a few weeks. Happy with todays workout, the negative Dips are thickening up my triceps and frontal delts like nobody's business:) Upper arm is sitting at 17 1/4", forearms are 15 1/2". I believe my forearms have increased in size due to no longer using wrist straps....should have burned them things long time ago!

Enjoying being vegan again, my recovery from the workouts seems better, moreover my back and joints don't seem to be flaring up as much, I guess my body isn't as inflamed:0

esqinchi
Elephant

#244 Postby esqinchi » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:20 pm

Hey man, was wondering if you could be of some assistance for a bit...

Lately, during training, I begin to feel nauseous. Doesn't seem to matter what exercise I'm doing (i.e. inverted/standing/seated), or the level of intensity. I try to limit eating prior to training out 30-40 minutes. Only thing I could guess would be that I'm dehydrated. Any other thoughts? It's getting quite frustrating, as it saps my mental focus and causes me to rest too long between sets. After a little research, I'm afraid I'm at a bit of a loss.

HIT Rob
Gorilla

#245 Postby HIT Rob » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:19 pm

Hi Chris,

Nausea while training is usually the result of glycogen being burned out of the muscles, the muscles then attempts to continue contracting by manufacturing more glucose out of the lactic acid that has been building up within the muscle, resulting in ph levels dropping (especially when using compound movements were several large muscles are working in concert). What you can do, is when you feel the nausea coming on, pop a tea spoonful of sugar under your tongue, it'll very quickly bring up your ph levels, I find it works well. Also you could take a slightly longer rests between sets and /or exercises.

Hopefully that helps:)
Rob

esqinchi
Elephant

#246 Postby esqinchi » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:23 pm

HIT Rob wrote:Hi Chris,

Nausea while training is usually the result of glycogen being burned out of the muscles, the muscles then attempts to continue contracting by manufacturing more glucose out of the lactic acid that has been building up within the muscle, resulting in ph levels dropping (especially when using compound movements were several large muscles are working in concert). What you can do, is when you feel the nausea coming on, pop a tea spoonful of sugar under your tongue, it'll very quickly bring up your ph levels, I find it works well. Also you could take a slightly longer rests between sets and /or exercises.

Hopefully that helps:)
Rob

Dude, this totally worked! Thanks! At first sign of nausea today, I ran upstairs and got myself a teaspoon of sugar, just like you recommended. Within a few moments the symptoms subsided, and I could go back to training. Thanks again!

HIT Rob
Gorilla

#247 Postby HIT Rob » Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:46 am

Happy days Chris, good stuff, I've had to do it a good few times myself. It was a wee tip I heard in a John Little interview a few years ago:)

26-2-15
Back / Biceps
Underhand Pulldowns (1 1/4 reps)
One Arm Hammer Row
Stiff Arm Pulldowns
BB Shrugs

1-3-15
Legs / Lower Back
Leverage Leg Press
Calf Press Machine
Weighted Back Extension

One set to failure per movement

HIT Rob
Gorilla

#248 Postby HIT Rob » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:34 pm

Getting my hands on a copy of Brian Johnston's new book aimed at the natural trainee looking to optimize hypertrophy book next week, it called "high density training" (by high density, he refers to techniques and methods that produce more contractions per unit of time). If its anything as good as his variation book/dvd combo I'll be well chuffed. I liked his recent post on the Dr Darden HIT forum entitled "How NOT to bodybuild".
http://www.drdarden.com/readTopic.do?id=665842&pageNo=0

4-3-15
CHEST / SHOULDERS / TRICEPS
1. PEC DECK FLYE (Zone training) **
2. HAMMER INCLINE PRESS (piston/rhythmical high reps) **
3. NEGATIVE DIPS (BW only) *
4. MACHINE LATERAL RAISE (Zone training) **
5. ONE ARM LEANING D-B LATERAL RAISE (Regular full range) *
6. TRICEPS PRESSDOWNS (Zone training) **
7. LYING TRICEPS EXTENSION (Straight bar) *
* 2 working sets to sub failure
* 1 set to failure

6-3-15
BACK / BICEPS
1. MACHINE PULLOVER (Zone training) **
2. UNDERHAND PULLDOWN (Zone training) *
3. SEATED CABLE ROW (Piston/rhythmical high reps) **
4. BB SHRUG (Regular full range) *
5. PREACHER CURL MACHINE (Zone training) **
6. D-B HAMMER CURLS (Regular full range) *
7. WEIGHTED BACK EXTENSION (piston / rhythmical high reps) **
*2 working sets to sub fail
* 1 set to failure

Both workouts completed within 30 minutes.

Diets going well, found a good source of organic brown rice protein powder, didn't realize what a great amino acid profile it has.

Todays munching...
1. Oatmeal with 2 scoops of rice protein mixed in + 2 chopped banana's
2. Chocolate flavoured almond butter on Ezekiel bread
3. Two black bean and quinoa stuffed peppers + one scoop of rice protein + a handful of walnuts
4. 3 portions of fruit (grapes and melon)
5. CHRIS SALSA AND BROCCOLI SALAD (hat tip to him:)
6. 2 scoops of hemp protein and some mixed nuts

esqinchi
Elephant

#249 Postby esqinchi » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:02 pm

Yes mate I love it! Salsa belongs on everything! Well, most everything.

HIT Rob
Gorilla

#250 Postby HIT Rob » Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:33 pm

Salsa's the bomb:) Trying to be a wee bit more adventurous in the kitchen, started experimenting with different flavoured "energy balls" and flaxseed muffins etc. Yum Yum:))

8-3-15
LEGS
(After warm-up sets)
1. SEATED LEG PRESS
Zone training - 1 working set to failure
2. CALF PRESSES
Zone training - 1 working set to failure
3. WEIGHTED BACK EXTENSION (Hams & Glutes)
2 working sets to sub-failure

esqinchi
Elephant

#251 Postby esqinchi » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:38 am

Can't wait for summer to hit so I can make myself some decent salsa verde. Mind posting up some recipes for the energy balls?

HIT Rob
Gorilla

#252 Postby HIT Rob » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:03 pm

Salsa verde....now your talking:)

Found a couple of good EB recipes on line, love them...

Chocolate chip cookie EB's...
-2-3 scoops of rice, hemp or soy protein powder
-1 cup of almond meal
-1/2 cup of almond butter
-1/4 cup of maple syrup
-1/4 cups of dairy free mini chocolate drops
Mixed them all up into a dough like consistency, roll into to balls and refrigerate.

Lemon and blueberry EB's...
-1 1/2 cups of cashews
-1/2 cup of shredded coconut
-1/2 cup of dried blueberries
-3/4 cup of pitted dates
-Juice of one fresh lemon
-teaspoon of lemon zest
-teaspoon of vanilla extract
Mix in a food processor (bar the coconut) until it the mixture is a dough like consistency, then roll into small balls, and roll in coconut.

These suckers taste great and well keep ya going strong:)

HIT Rob
Gorilla

#253 Postby HIT Rob » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:58 pm

11-3-15
Flat V-Grip D-B Flyes
Underhand Pulldowns
Seated Cable Rows
D-B Shrugs
* One set to vanilla failure per movement

16-3-15
D-B Power Lateral Raise (slight hitch at the start of the movement)
Incline D-B Curls
Lying BB Triceps Extension
Triceps Press-down
D-B Hammer Curl
*One set to vanilla failure per movement

Both workouts were performed at home, no upper body pressing movements at the moment, my left shoulder has been giving me some jip for a while. The V-Grip flyes are great, they really ease the strain on the shoulder:)

Rob.

HIT Rob
Gorilla

#254 Postby HIT Rob » Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:17 pm

18-3-15
1. Le Extension - 2 sets to failure (one set regular full range, one set zone training)
2. Seated Leg Curl- 2 sets to failure (one set regular full range, one set zone training)
3. Calf Presses - 1 set to failure in zone training style
3. Static Crunch (on a pulldown machine, using ab slings) - one set to failure

20-3-15
1. Pec Deck Flye - 2 sets to failure (one set regular full range, one set zone training)
2. Stiff Arm Pulldown 2 sets to failure (one set regular full range, one set zone training)
3. BB Shrugs - 1 sets to failure (one set regular full range with a 3 second hold in the contracted position, hat tip to B&B:)
4. Weighted Back Extension (2 working sets of 12 reps to sub failure)

Happy with how the last few workouts felt (less systemically fatigue), I've decided to go with all direct isolation work for a while, for a couple of reasons, the main reason is because I want to focus on more specific strength training vs general strength training. I'll keep to the same movements for the most part, however how perform them (ie cluster sets, zone training, static holds, 1 1/4 reps, regular full range, piston reps, occlusion sets etc), rep cadence, load, volume, frequency will change from week to week to proved the muscle with a new challenge.

I'm also training every other day for the time being, want to see if it has a positive effect on my overall conditioning (after all, summers just round the corner:) so I'll be keeping a closer eye on my bodyfat level, I had a trainer at my gym measure it, its... gulp...currently 18.2% (at 248lbs).

Anyho, have a great weekend
Rob

esqinchi
Elephant

#255 Postby esqinchi » Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:48 pm

Oh man if I did ab crunches to failure I'd probably have a hard time getting along the next day if you know what I mean. How are you going to split things up going to failure every other day? Or are you? I wish I could get a good grip on my bf%. I started cutting again for the most part a few weeks ago, but it seems like I might still be eating too little.

Return to “Online Training Journals & Blogs”