Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 227 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: Rob's High Intensity Training Log
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:29 pm 
Manatee

My leg workout this afternoon...

1. Leg Press - 2 working sets of 12 @ stack
2. Leg Curl - 2 working sets of 10 reps @ 75kgs
3. Calf Press - 2 working sets of 10 reps @ stack
4. Cable Crunch Machine - 2 working sets of 15, 12 @ stack

No sets were to complete failure...

Today's food...

Breakfast - 4 cage free omega-3 enriched eggs, cooked in butter, 1 slice of dry whole wheat seeded toast
Lunch - Tuna spicy salsa salad with mixed nuts
Post workout - 1 scoop of whey protein (24 grams) with coconut butter added
Dinner - Mackerel, greens and a glass of red wine

Since my carb intake is low, am keeping my fat intake high, protein is sitting at around 140-150 grams. Eating this way has me feeling less bloated and less lethargic. My hunger also seems more suppressed.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:25 am 
Manatee

Over the last few weeks I've become more and more engrossed in the work of Dr Art De Vany and his "evolutionary fitness", its kinda of a combination of a paleo /Mediterranean diet (without the bread, pasta's and dairy).

Changes I've made to my diet....

1. I've cut of all grains, starches, dairy and legumes from my diet. (once or twice a week i have a non paleo treat, an ice cream, chocolate bar, something like that).
2. I've cut out snacking, I'm consuming 2-3 big meals per day, and on the days i consume only 2 meals (fasting) I've began taking BCAA's, this has made the fasting much easier:)
3. I've stopped counting calories, commend and control diets have never been a part of our history.
4. For balance, I've began taking a fish oil supplement with every meal that contains saturated fat.

So far, I've haven't felt as good as i do in years, and am only a few weeks in, in fact I've been able to halve the amount/dose of meds i take daily for my lower back, my bad knee has been feeling a lot better, moreover my energy levels are better even ever, and I've also had no bloating from consuming lots of heavy carbs. In the upcoming weeks, I'll be (for the first time in over a decade) bringing free range / grass-fed meats back into my diet, i'll see how i go, at the moment i'm consuming just a lot of fresh wild fish, fruits and vegetables, nuts, olive oil, eggs and I've began having a glass of red wine most nights. This is something i see myself carrying on with for the foreseeable future.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:11 pm 
VBB Moderator Powerlifter & Ultrarunner

Easy on the wine Rob :wink:

WEB: http://www.jimsty.wix.com/strength-vs-size
FB: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mini-Forklift/161273440616736?ref=hl
Image http://www.youtube.com/user/kiwilifter?feature=mhee

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:43 pm 
Manatee

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:
Easy on the wine Rob :wink:

LOL, tbh i don't actually like it, tastes like vinegar (too me), but i read and hear its good for the heart and blood. Just a wee experiment, maybe i should just eat more red grapes instead:)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:04 pm 

Go for the grapes !! Wine/alcohol being good for you is pure myth; in relation to it being consumed in the Mediterranean well yes they do, but it's nearly always celebratory drinking rather than everyday drinking for the sake of drinking.

I can go into more detail if you wanted to ~ I've spent a fair bit of time researching alcohol and its' relationship to health. Usually the media, magazines etc that report on the 'Mediterranean Diet' get the alcohol part of their diet significantly incorrect :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:58 pm 
Manatee

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:
Go for the grapes !! Wine/alcohol being good for you is pure myth; in relation to it being consumed in the Mediterranean well yes they do, but it's nearly always celebratory drinking rather than everyday drinking for the sake of drinking.

I can go into more detail if you wanted to ~ I've spent a fair bit of time researching alcohol and its' relationship to health. Usually the media, magazines etc that report on the 'Mediterranean Diet' get the alcohol part of their diet significantly incorrect :wink:

Yes please, I've really just glossed over the some articles on the red wine (and hearsay) but am actually not much of a drinker, apart from the rare pint of beer or two. Personally i'd rather have a fruit/vegetable juice any day:)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:57 am 

HIT Rob wrote:
Yes please, I've really just glossed over the some articles on the red wine (and hearsay) but am actually not much of a drinker, apart from the rare pint of beer or two. Personally i'd rather have a fruit/vegetable juice any day:)

Okay, if you take the healthy version of the Mediterranean Diet these are probably the key points:

DIET
*Low overall calorie intake
*Very low or zero alcohol (except in celebratory circumstances)
*Plenty of locally grown greens, herbs, veges & plants high in longevity protecting antioxidants that the majority of the rest of the world do not consume ~ plants like horta, kritamo, andrakla etc.
*Home grown vegetables grown in mineral rich soil
*Lots of beans, nuts & legumes = high fibre
*Extra-virgin olive oil is prevalent in their diets
*Fresh fish 2-3 times a week
*Meat only comprises 5% of their total calories
*Raw goats milk that they milk by hand

RESPONSE TO DIET
*Reduced cancer, alzheimer's & Parkinson's disease rates
*Lower cases of CV disease (heart attack, stroke etc)
*Improved liver health
*Lower BMI, which links in to diabetes being much less common in studied countries that consume this diet such as Greece. If you have some spare time and you're interested in this kind of stuff you should Google 'The Ikaria Study' :wink:

So why does the REAL Mediterranean Diet feature very little (if any) alcohol?..

:oops: Alcohol kills close to 150 French people EVERY DAY
:( 7 million people in France have a drinking problem
:? In France (where the media like to showcase the Mediterranean Diet because they drink more heavily than other European countries), 25% of deaths that happen to people aged 15-34 are a result of alcohol. The causes of death that you can directly attribute to alcohol ARE ABOVE ALL CANCERS AND HEART DISEASES.

Basically, the only benefits from wine ~ and these benefits are actually fairly minimal, are polyphenols and flavonoids. The same two things which can be found in vastly larger amounts in fresh fruit and vegetables. If you actually take the time to look into the studies that are pronouncing the health benefits of alcohol, guess what?..

They're generally funded by the global alcohol industry!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:57 pm 
Manatee

Hey MF..

Interesting, I must say that doesn't surprise me. I don't know if you've ever been, but i noticed a lot of alcohol being consumed by the locals when holidaying in Paris and Athens, as well as quite a lot of cigarettes being smoked. When me and my wife were in Paris, i recall remarking to her that no one in the cafe's were eating anything at lunch time, most seemed to be just drinking coffee and smoking. So what you mentioned above makes a lot of sense to me.

I'll certainly have a good look at the ikaria study...

Thanks for the info mate, much appreciated:)

Best
Rob

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:29 pm 
Manatee

5-4-14
Home Chest & Back workout
1. Flat V-Grip Dumbbell Bench Press - 1 set of 9 reps to failure @ 90kgs
2. Incline V-Grip Dumbbell Flyes - 1 set of 8 reps to failure @ 65kgs
3. Incline Bench Dumbbell Rows - 5 mini cluster sets of 3 reps @ 75kgs - last mini set to failure*
4. Dumbbell High Pulls - 1 set of 10 reps to failure @ 65kgs

8-4-14
Home Leg & Ab workout
1. Dumbbell Squat/Deadlift - 1 set of 14 reps to failure @ 85kgs
2. Hip Belt Cable Calf Raise - 1 set of 12 reps to failure + 3 forced reps @ 70kgs
3. Dumbbell Stiff Legged Deadlift - 1 set of 10 reps not to failure @ 60kgs
4. Static Cable Crunch - 3 ten second static holds @ 70kgs - last hold to failure

11-4-14
Home Shoulder & Arm workout
1. D-B Push Press - 1 set of 7 reps to failure @ 75kgs
2. D-B Lateral Raise - 4 mini cluster sets of 3 reps @ 27kgs - last mini set to failure
3. Standing Bi-Lateral D-B Curls - 5 mini cluster sets of 3 reps @ 37kgs - last mini set to failure
4. Close-Grip Bench Press (using EZ-bar) - 1 set of 6 reps to failure @ 60kgs

14-4-14
Home Leg workout
1. Dumbbell Squat/Deadlift - 1 set of 16 reps to failure @ 85kgs
2. Hip Belt Cable Calf Raise - 1 set of 14 reps to failure + 3 forced reps @ 70kgs
3. D-B Stiff Legged Deadlift - 1 sets of 12 reps not to failure @ 60kgs
4. Static Cable Crunches - same as last time

Been enjoying training at home this weather, been working longer hours, so training at home is more convenient. Have to admit, certain free weight movements feel a lot better than certain machine movements, for example, i feel like i get a much better contraction in my lats when performing incline bench D-B rows than what i'd normally feel when preforming Hammer machine rows. The D-B Squat/Deadlift also cause no lower back discomfort, was a nice change. Finished each workout with 10-12 minutes speed rope skipping.
Diet wise, I've decided not to return back to eating meat, just cant bring myself to do it after 10 years, i draw the line at eggs and fish.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:01 pm 
Elephant

hey Rob, training looks good pal, do you train outside when your at home? hope all is well over there.......sounds like the weather is pretty good in ireland (i listen to radio nova from dublin everyday). doyou think the fish and eggs are making a difference? ive contemplated eating eggs, as i keep hens and ducks.

mike

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:01 pm 
Manatee

Hey buddy,

With our weather, are you crazy lol, nah, I've all my equipment in a spare room, it has a reinforced floor, the wife didn't want me going through the ceiling and landing on her:))

The eggs and fish are defiantly having positive effect, also the cutting out snacks and IFing have helped in how i feel. I see no harm in consuming eggs as long as there coming from a good source. I get my eggs from my father-in-laws farm (as well as his home made butter), if i cant make it up, i buy Marks & Spencer's cage free omega 3 enriched eggs. Over the years eggs have got a bad rep, but the research in recent years shows shows very little correlation with heart disease or cholesterol levels. Their cheap and extremely nutritious, enjoy them i say. As for the fish i only buy wild, i wouldn't buy farmed or canned.

How's yourself mate, training going well, you still using the upper/lower body split once per week?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:49 pm 
Elephant

hmmmm i might eat some of my birds eggs then, feels a bit of a waste not eating really.........i really miss wild fish but i think ill try and not eat it as i have lectured everyone i know so much about it i will never live it down lol your father in laws sounds like my kinda place, is it a dairy farm? my training is a bit all over the place at the minute as iam so busy, iam still training hard but its pretty disorganised to be honest lol

good to see the diet and training is going well for you mate, have you thought more about doing some videos?

mike

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:21 pm 
Manatee

Hey mate,

I cant be classed as vegan anymore, however i still fully respect others views on animal products, so i would say only eat the eggs if YOU want too, not because i say so:)

I don't feel training needs to be organised for long term progress if hypertrophy is the specific goal, just as long as workouts are intense, brief and reasonable infrequent your on the right track. My workouts have also been all over the place over the last couple of years because I've been experimenting with different techniques/ideas (my conclusion...there is no magic bullet), but despite the fact i haven't made the strength increases i made in previous years, I've actually made better progress. I can see more detail in my quads, shoulders, back and arms etc (I'd probably see more if my BF levels were lower lol), plus switching from one technique to the next has allowed me to better manage the stress of my training.
So, don't think because your not keeping to an exact script or keeping accurate records of every lift of every workout your not making any progress, for the natural bodybuilder variation is a good thing, ever notice how a new growth spurt happens when you've changed something?

With the videos, before i appear on camera i want to be in good shape, not quite as lean as i want to be yet (unfortunately my diet has always been my downfall), am currently sitting at around 245-250lbs, my goal is 220lbs (at 6'4), this last few weeks I've been very strict, though I had to bring the carbs back in again as the weight was losing weight too quickly (back to following this advice http://www.simplyshredded.com/layne-nor ... -diet.html). As soon as i get to where i want to be, i'll get the cam rolling:)

Take it easy mate
Rob

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:01 pm 
Manatee

Been reading a lot of positive things about it recently about negative accentuated training, in particular, Dr Dardens 30-30-30 protocol (30 second negative, then 30 second positive, and then 30 second negative), Drew Baye has been talking about it on his blog. There's many different ways to go about it, i plan on using Drew Baye's method of a 2 second positive, then a 8 negative, for 5-8 reps performed to failure.

I'll see how i go...

Last edited by HIT Rob on Fri May 09, 2014 7:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:21 pm 
Manatee

So i had my first experience of negative emphasized training this afternoon.

Workout was
1. Seated Leg Press
2. Underhand Chin (negative only)
3. Chest Press Machine
4. Seated Chest Supported Row
5. D-B Lateral Raise
6. Calf Presses
7. Weighted Back Extension

My initial thoughts...This is a very painful way to train, the level of muscular fatigue is greater, as is the level of systemic fatigue. However, i was able to do this while using 20% less weight (as recommend by Dr Darden), not a bad thing when your working around several injuries:)
I can feel it now, i'm gonna be sore as hell tomorrow, and probably for a few more days after that:((

Training like this once per week may well be enough...I''l see how i feel by the end of the week. On a side note, i sent off today for one of those gymbosses, this well make counting easier:)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 227 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next