Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 235 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
 Post subject: Re: Rob's High Intensity Training Log
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:21 pm 
Gorilla

I would say yes mate, though there is deadlifts and BB Curls in the power rack (with the bars set up to perform only the top 1/2 or 1/3 of the movement). Muscle fibers are recruited sequentially, they laterally shift up through the gears/fiber types until they reach the highest order fibers necessary for moving maximum loads, with DS's, you can actually feel this happening. You apply maximum effort, but It takes a split second before anything happens, then suddenly BOOM, the weight takes off.

Give them a try:))
Rob

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:31 am 
Gorilla

This mornings workout,

1. Underhand Pulldown (with 2 second contracted hold each rep)
65kgs x 5 reps
80kgs x 5 reps
105kgs x 5 reps (up 10kgs)
2. Smith Machine Deadstart Shoulder Width Grip Bench Press (top 1/3 of the movement only)
90kgs x 5 reps
120kgs x 5 reps
170kgs x 5 reps (up 15kgs)
3. Kneeling Cable Rope Crunch
50kgs x 2 sets of 12 reps (up 5kgs)

Happy enough with today's workout, though probably should have left it for another 2-3 days, progress may have been even better. I'll now begin training once every 9-10 days to allow for the increasing intensity.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:08 pm 
Gorilla

Last 2 weeks workouts

Home Back & Chest workout
1. Superslow Underhand Pulldown
2. Flat V-Grip D-B Bench Press
3. One Arm D-B Row (on a slightly inclined bench, making sure to keep strict form)
4. Incline D-B Press

Home Leg (quad dominant) /Ab workout
1. Bulgarian Split Squat (to pre-exhaust the thighs, forgot how good these are)
2. BB Bench Squat (worked up till only a moderate weight. Bench was just above parallel, that depth being the position i can hold still hold a tight back and not round the shoulders. Instead of buying a leg press machine, i might well just buy a safety squat bar http://www.roguefitness.com/sb-1-rogue-safety-squat-bar, looks much easier on the shoulders than the traditional straight bar)
3. Donkey Cable Calf Raise
4. Kneeling Cable Rope Crunch

Home Shoulder & Arm specialization workout
1. D-B Lateral Raise (From the sides)
2. Incline Bench Rear Delt D-B Raise (after only a couple of workouts of these i can see improvement in my rear delts already:))
3. Seated Bi-Lateral D-B Curls (keeping a straight back, no swinging)
4. Lying Triceps Extension
5. D-B Hammer Curl
6. Triceps Press-down
7. Standing D-B Wrist Curls (weights by my sides flexing the hand inward, after going to failure on these i could just gnaw my arm of at the elbow, kinda love/hate relationship with these lol)

Home Leg (hamstring dominant) & Ab workout
1. Weighted Hypers
2. Trap Bar DL (still getting used to these, just working up to moderate resistance for now)
3. Donkey Cable Calf Raise
4. Kneeling Cable Rope Crunch

Loving the home workouts at present, since am working longer hours at the moment and as its coming into the colder weather soon I've decided not to commute to the pay as you go gym i'd been going to. I've also switched back to a slightly more frequent workout pattern (2 days per week), a HIT buddy of mine advised me not to train as infrequency as i had intended to for a few good reasons. Moving forward i intend on working on my main weakness instead of avoiding them (ie my low back problem).

Diet wise things have not been so good lately, with working longer hours this weather am reaching for convenience foods a bit too much, that and caffeine fixes, i'll have to break that habit asap! Weight right now is 252lbs.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:44 pm 
Gorilla

Training's been going really well this weather, been making some good strength gains. I've also been attending an arm wrestling club once a week (something I've always fancied a bash at as my forearm and grip strength are good), that's been real interesting, just getting to grips with the different techniques, early sign's show am a good "hooker". I've added some forearm and grip work (though not too much) to my training, ie farmers walk, Standing BB Wrist Curl, and heavy hammer curls. Current weight is 245lbs.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:45 pm 
Gorilla

Last few workouts....

23-9-14 Upper Body / Arm focus
1. Underhand Grip Pulldown
-main set - 110kgs x 5 reps to failure
2. Seated Dip Machine
-main set - 120kgs/stack x 7 reps to failure
3. BB Curl
-main set - 50kgs x 7 reps to failure
4. Close Grip Bench (EZ-Bar)
-main set - 75kgs x 8 reps to failure
5. D-B Hammer Curl
-main set - 2x26kgs x 10 reps to failure
6. Standing BB Wrist Curl
- main set - 60kgs x 8 reps + 6 partial's to failure

28-9-14 Lower Body
1. Seated Leg Press
-main set - 250kgs/stack x 15 reps to failure
2. Static Hip Belt Squat (performed immediately after the seated leg press)
-BW x static hold to failure (did not time)
3. Seated Calf Press
-main set - 150kgs/stack x 16 reps to failure
4. Weighted Hypers
-2 work sets x 12 reps holding a 20kg disc
5. Static Crunch (performed on a pull-down machine)
- main set - 75kgs x static hold to failure (did not time)

Current eating plan is a metabolic diet approach (Low carb / high fat 5-6 days per week, then 1-2 high carb / low fat days per week), been doing this for the last month and quickly getting to were i want too be.

Yesterday was a high carb / low fat day
Breakfast
-Large bowl of Porridge's oats with a scoop of whey thrown it
-2 banana's
Lunch
-Large tuna and hard boiled egg white salad with low fat coleslaw
-blueberry muffin
Dinner
-Vegetable curry and white rice
-whey protein shake (48 grams)
Supper
-peanut butter on whole meal bread toast

Today was a high fat / low carb day

Breakfast
- 4 omega 3 enriched egg vegetable omelette, cooked in coconut oil
- one cup of coffee with heavy whipping cream
Lunch
-Whey Protein Shake (48 grams), handful of mixed nuts, and blueberries
Dinner
-8oz of Mackerel, large salad with olive oil
Supper
-cottage cheese n walnuts

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:45 pm 
Gorilla

Bit reluctant to post here anymore, as weeks of people posts have been deleted with no explanation as to why...

Last few workouts...

24-10-14
Abbreviated HIT Workout
1. Seated Leg Press
2. Parallel Grip Chins
3. Hammer Chest Press
4. Cable Curl
5. Seated Dip Machine
one set to failure per movement, after a 10 second rest, a static hold to failure as well on exercises 1, 2, and 4 (resistance held in the position of maximum motor arm).

20-10-14
Arm Wrestling club, had to hard fought bouts against 2 other heavyweight club members, one loss, one win....

17-10-14
Abbreviated HIT workout
1. Seated Leg Press
2. Hammer Row
3. Shoulder Press Machine
4. Cable Curls
5. Seated Dip Machine
one set to failure per movement, and after a 10 second rest, a static hold to failure on exercises 1, 2, 3 and 4

13-10-14
Arm Wrestling club, working on techniques, no bouts...

Diet wise, things could not be better, feeding just 2 and at most 3 times per day, today was...

11AM
5 poached omega3 enriched free range eggs
mushrooms (cooked in butter)
blackberries

4pm
tub of full fat cottage cheese
1 apple
1 pear
almonds

9pm
wild Salmon
potatoes
Vegetables

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:26 am 
Gorilla

Hey man, re: lost posts, I PM'd one of the mods about my lost posts, and the explanation was they were gone due to the server migration. Seemed like an honest error.

I wanted to ask you a question though, and I'm sure you'd have a great explanation. . . Some days after training, especially after doing some really intense full body training, I wake up almost feeling like I've contracted a cold (stuffy head, aches - not DOMS, post nasal drip, etc.). What's up with that? I'm betting you'll say it's systemic, and I get that, but what about the training is causing these particular symptoms? They usually subside within a few hours. It's really strange!

Hope you are doing well!

Chris

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:36 pm 
Gorilla

Hey Chris,

Sorry mate, i just noticed your post...

I did the same, diffo an honest mistake:)

To answer your question: With HIT, you're performing at tremendous amount of work per unit of time, its a threatening form of intense physical stress, which is turn sparks a host of chemical reactions and systemic fatigue within the body. The sensation you get the morning after training intensely the day before, i guess could be referred to as a workout hangover, and the severity of the symptoms, not too mention how quickly you'll recover will depend heavily on just how many units of intensity you exposed yourself to in a given time frame. Hope that that make sense?

Best
Rob

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:47 pm 
Gorilla

No worries, Rob. Yeah, that makes sense to me. I thought maybe it could be an immuno-response to training. Almost like a shock to the body, which provokes an increase in white blood cells. That sounds crazy to me, but maybe possible?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:39 pm 
Gorilla

Been really busy this weather so haven't been posting as much...

Been back to max/static contraction training this last month, training once every 4-5 days and hitting each bodypart once every 2 weeks.

Current routine...

W/O A
Chest
1. MCT Pec Deck
superseetted with..
2. Static Chest Press Machine
Shoulders
3. MCT Machine Lateral Raise
supersetted with
4. Static Shoulder Press Machine
Triceps
5. MCT D-B Kick-Backs
supersetted with
6. Weighted Negative Only Dips

W/O B
Back / Biceps
1. Weighted Parallel Grip Static Chins
2. Smith Machine Static Bent Over Row
3. MCT BB Shrugs
4. MCT Back Extension
5. MCT Preacher Curl Machine

W.O C
Legs
Tri set
1. MCT Seated Leg Curl
2. MCT Leg Extension
3. Static Leg Press
Calf's & Abs
4. MCT Calf Press
5. MCT Static Crunch

- With all compound exercises, resistance is held in the position of maximum motor arm, with isolation exercises, the resistance is held in the position of full contraction.
- After warm-ups, one set to static failure on each exercise, 10-20 second holds on upper body movements and 25-40 second holds for legs.

Still Arm wrestling as well, contemplating on entering a local open comp in April, the max contraction and static contraction training has really helped improve my strength. That being said, due to the high stress nature of MCT, am going to switch to another less stressful (though still brutal:) HIT technique called 30/30/30. Its a 30 second, negative, 30 second positive and then a 30 second negative, i may experiment with the time under tension, maybe 20/20/20, but i'll give it a go.

Diet wise, I've reduced my daily fat intake and increased my carbs a bit again. I've also eliminated dairy from my diet, but am still consuming some eggs and fish. Feeling good.

Rob

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 235 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16