Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 22, Male, UK - Pop's Blog
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:05 pm 
Finch

Hello beautiful Vegans and welcome to my progress blog!

Why am I posting here?
Well, first of all, I was inspired by a lot of the blogs in the forum - there has been so much great success and amazing support throughout the community here. Secondly, I really need som'o'dat success and support! :D Willpower and self-discipline have been lacking - but that's gonna change! And finally, I want to make a more public commitment to improving my fitness; I have a feeling a dash of accountability will lead to greater consistency in my efforts, and my hope is that this outlet will provide such support. I know this is a forum for bodybuilders, of which I am not one, but I plan on working towards that kind of goal.

Basic Info:
22 years old, Male from SW England.
Height - 5ft 11in.
Weight - 12 stone 10 lbs (80.7kg / 178lbs)
Body Fat % - 16.5% (13.3kg / 29.3lbs)
BMI - 24.9
Athletic Experience - Very little to none! I ran a half marathon in 2009?

Here are my starting photos. I don't know if it's par for the course to include before/after photos in these blogs, but I'll be doing so for posterity's sake. I'm betting on the power of contrast being a motivating factor on my journey; I've recently invested in a nice DSLR, hence the fancy pants masking/inane resolutions. Results should speak for themselves, afterall.

Background and Personal Fitness History:
I haven't been Vegan for any great length of time - I think I'm coming up to my one year anniversary in a few months? I was idly browsing the net one afternoon and stumbled across a YouTube video called 'Bacon in 60 seconds' - the top comment read 'You should really watch Earthlings.' And that was that - after watching that movie I immediately called family members to give away all my animal products and I haven't wavered since. Fitness-wise, I'm the most sedentary dude ever. I work a desk job and I don't work out. When I was 16 I started Boxing, but that only lasted a short while and I never got to an amateur level or anything like that. It was however, probably the peak of my life in terms of fitness, (see photo from 2010 below,) and I have been slowly heading downhill since then. I've been very lost the past few years - I had a breakup from a long-term girlfriend and I struggle to make friends (as in, I don't have any friends aha) so I've been feeling very low and have probably been quite depressed at times. Before I went Vegan, I went through a whole episode of ludicrously excessive binge-eating (I guess, to make myself feel better?) and piled on a good stone or two in weight, which has now dissipated - I've stunted those behaviours, (mostly.) Having said that, things are looking up as of late: I recently got offered a job in the military (very much not Vegan - I know) to put me through University - which is great! (No debt!) I also read a book called 'Behavior Modification' by Garry Martin and Joseph Pear, and it has helped immensely - I didn't realise how negative my self-talk had truly become. I'm working on being a happier and more positive person everyday.

The Plan:
Working out - My plan is straight forward - get through basic training. I have a chronic IBT issue; an issue just around my popliteus (hence the username) that I gained early last year when overtraining before my assessment for the new job (going from 0 to running 16 miles - heel-striking no less- is not advisable - but you guys already knew that :P). I only have a couple of months before I start my training (including 3 weeks away on holiday,) so I'll be focusing on general fitness and lighter weight work until then, to avoid injury. I'll hit the gym three times a week, and do walking/running as much as possible. My basic training is 3 months, afterwhich I plan on getting into lifting proper. The Vegan Gains guy on YouTube made a lot of sense to me, so I guess I'd follow his advice, but I'll consult with you guys closer to the time on that one.

Diet - I've tried to lose weight before, mainly via ludicrous restriction. Whilst restriction has its place, I'm not diving deep down into that hole whatsoever - I'll eat normal and workout to create a deficit. I've bought a Blendtec and usually have a nice smoothie with breakfast - I need to collate a list of green smoothies to make sure I'm getting more veg. I'm aiming for a whole foods, raw(ish) diet and just focus on getting enough calories for the day from a good variety of sources. Only other thing that may be noteworthy - I supplement B12 and Vit D daily.

Future Goals:
As previously mentioned - get through basic training! Start lifting nearer Winter time. Other than that, and in the immediate future: lose some weight, add muscle definition and generally feel good about being more active.

Planned Updates:
I'm going to track my workouts, eating, measurements and weight using Google docs. I'll track my sleep using this android app. I'll plan on updating this Blog once a week, with a brief assessment of how I've been doing.

Attachments:
2014.jpg
2014.jpg [ 6.5 KiB | Viewed 79 times ]
Before Small.jpg
Before Small.jpg [ 249.24 KiB | Viewed 79 times ]

Post subject: Re: 22, Male, UK - Pop's Blog
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:45 am 
Rabbit

Hey bro, good luck on your journey! I got a few books you might wanna read to give you some inspiration on the nutrtion side of things. I found Thrive by brendan brazier really helpful, the guys a iron man traithelte and knows how to get the body to recover from strenuos workouts quickly. Also the china study and whole are good books too. I look forward to seeing your progress. I'm from south east london england, so not far from you. heres my journal if you want to compare notes. viewtopic.php?f=24&t=37193&p=329432#p329432

Post subject: Re: 22, Male, UK - Pop's Blog
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:19 pm 
Finch

jacklebodybuilder wrote:
Hey bro, good luck on your journey! I got a few books you might wanna read to give you some inspiration on the nutrtion side of things. I found Thrive by brendan brazier really helpful, the guys a iron man traithelte and knows how to get the body to recover from strenuos workouts quickly. Also the china study and whole are good books too. I look forward to seeing your progress. I'm from south east london england, so not far from you. heres my journal if you want to compare notes. viewtopic.php?f=24&t=37193&p=329432#p329432

Awight Geez! :D Aha cheers man, I'll definitely take a look at your recommendations. I've subbed to your thread, so hopefully we'll be making those Vegan gains concurrently! :P

Update: I've gone ahead and been a massive dick and still done naff all since my initial post; first I had work, then I had chores, then I found other excuses... I just need to stop that shit! I did manage to read 'The Power of Habit' by Charles Duhigg - an illuminating, if straightforward message. So yeah, come A.M I'm gonna kick off with a good 30 minute walk, get home and do some Yoga, then maybe head to the gym and hit some weights - before I do anything else. That'll be my cue - it'll be the first thing I do when I wake up. I'm going to have to make a lot of conscious effort to overcome my existing habits but it'll shouldn't take too long before I get in the groove.

Attachments:
POH.png
POH.png [ 28.65 KiB | Viewed 18 times ]