Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 212 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Andi's crossfit and bulking journal
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:36 pm 
Batman

Dude! My girlfriend did the plank challenge too! I always thought they looked easy until I tried them... Good luck with it bro! I'm still fighting off a throat/chest infection too... Nasty stuff, have you noticed that everyone instantly says "are you Ill because you're vegan." As if non vegans never ever get Ill Winds me right up

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:
There's only one thing I'm riding at 6am, and it's not a bike!

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=29098
http://www.facebook.com/ross.d.cosgrove

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:51 pm 
Manatee

I get I'll the least out of everybody when we tour and I know that's because I don't eat the crap that they do.

My bands:
Extreme Noise Terror (hardcore punk)
Desecration (death metal)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:07 am 
Manatee

Can't be arsed to do a food log for yesterday. It's pretty much the same every single day anyway apart from on the weekend, when I don't eat enough.

Training - Crossfit 26/02/14

Warm Up:
2 rounds
10 pipe passthroughs
10 double unders
5 burpees
10 power cleans @ 20kg

Lift:
8x2 on the minute snatch @ 70% - 25kg

WOD:
5 rounds
5 power cleans @ 60% - 35kg
7 over bar burpees
50 double under buy out

Finished in 6:40

Snatch today just didn't feel right at all. I was initially going to go at 30kg, but when I worked out my 70% I was quite surprised. However 25kg was right considering how much I just couldn't get the movement nailed today. I don't think I warmed up the movement enough.

The WOD however was different, I felt like I totally flew through it. I did the level 2 version, the only difference being that Rx had 10 burpees instead of 7, and had a 100 double under buy out. I probably should have done this Rx, but still it was a really good blow out, and the burpees into the double unders were lung burners and crept up really quickly.

My bands:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:25 am 
Manatee

Crossfit 28/02/14 - The Crossfit Open 14.1

So the Crossfit Games has begun again for 2014, with a pep in my step I woke up at 5:45 ready to get dressed, eat a banana and find out what the first open workout will be for the year.

14.1:
10 minute AMRAP
30 double unders
15 power snatch @ 35kg

Not too bad, I can do all the movements, my double unders are usually ok, and I can power snatch 35kg. However, there are two reasons why I scaled to the below version:

14.1 - Scaled
10 minutes AMRAP
60 single unders
15 power snatch @ 25kg

Reason 1 - Whilst I can power snatch 35kg, doing it for time and high reps I would struggle to maintain form. My 1RM is only 40kg (last time I tested) for power snatch, so this is a bit close to the mark to do at pace.

Reason 2 - At Celtic Crossfit they are running a box competition alongside the open workouts. We've all been placed in teams, and the team score is calculated on how well we all do in each workout. I've said from the outset that I'll be doing the scaled versions of the WODs, and so the points will be calcuated accordingly. It wouldn't make sense for me to do some of the open workouts at Rx, and some scaled, I need to do them all at the same standard for a fair representation.

So - 6:30 this morning I did 14.1 Scaled and got 360 reps. That's 4 complete rounds, and 60 single unders completed. I'm pretty pleased with that. See you next week Castro for 14.2

My bands:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:55 am 
Manatee

Crossfit 03/03/14

Warm Up:
400m run
3 rounds of
10 push ups
10 wall balls
10 burpees
30 second lying kettlebell hold (shoulder joint mobility)
30 second shoulder floss

Lift:
Bench Press 3x6 @ 75% - 45kg

WOD:
Run 400m for time - 1:26 (PB)

2 minutes rest, then:
2 minutes burpees - 28
2 minutes sit ups - 38
2 minutes wall balls (7kg) - 23
1 minute burpees - 10
1 minute sit ups - 20
1 minute wall balls - 10
30 seconds burpees - 5
30 seconds sit ups - 10
30 seconds wall balls - 5
2 minutes rest, then:

400m run for time - 1:43

Managed the bench press at 75% with not too much effort, the last two reps of the last set were a struggle, which means that the right was about right I suppose. Annoyingly as it would suggest that my bench still isn't getting much stronger.

The WOD was tough. I was pretty please with getting a PB on the first run. I think I could have gone faster too. I'm not sure why, but I just had a burst of energy for it. The rest of the WOD was a real burner, no let up at all, and the 2 minute rest before the final run felt like nothing at all.

My bands:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:59 am 
Manatee

Also, bulking not going too well. Weighed in at 69.4kg this morning.

My bands:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:59 am 
VBB Moderator Powerlifter & Ultrarunner

That is a fast 400m mate, congrats on the new PB!

Image @MiniForklift
WEB: http://www.jimsty.wix.com/strength-vs-size
FB: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mini-Forklift/161273440616736?ref=hl

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:04 am 
Manatee

It's not super fast by any shot, but thanks anyway. I know I've got plenty more in there. Would like to get closer to 1:15 next time.

My bands:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:07 am 
VBB Moderator Powerlifter & Ultrarunner

Still fast in my book mate. Well done.

Image @MiniForklift
WEB: http://www.jimsty.wix.com/strength-vs-size
FB: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mini-Forklift/161273440616736?ref=hl

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:21 am 
Manatee

Crossfit 04/03/14

Warm Up:
3 rounds of:
100m run
5 hang clean
5 front squat
5 push press
Increasing weight each time.
Then, 5 minutes of hip cleans

Strength:
5x3 Clean @ 75% - 45kg
5x3 Push Press @ 70% - 50kg (only 3 rounds complete, out of time)

WOD:
4 x 200m sprints 1:1 rest.

I need to spend some time on cleans again. I'm performing the second pull too early, and also there isn't enough shrug in there so the bar ends up going forward. This did get better as I went through the sets however, so it's just practice required.
I have no idea what my 1RM push press is, so guessed at 50kg for my 70%. It felt manageable, but still heavy so was probably about right. Perhaps I could have gone a tiny amount higher. Frustratingly we ran out of time to complete the full 5 sets of 3.

Ugh, sprints again, second day in a row! This time 200m. These weren't actually timed, so I'm not sure, but I know I was a lot slower in the last two runs than I was in the first two. I could feel that my tank was running empty. Still, all of them were attacked with whatever I had in me, so it was a good burnout.

My bands:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:05 am 
Manatee

Crossfit - 07/03/14 - Open Workout 14.2

The second workout towards of this years Crossfit Open, and another time I did this as part of the Friday morning class. The workout was:

0:00-3:00 minutes
2 rounds of:
10 overhead squat @ 45kg for males
10 chest to bar pull ups

If you make it through those in the time cap then onto:

3:00-6:00 minutes
2 rounds of:
12 overhead squat @ 45kg for males
12 chest to bar pull ups

And so on, with each interval adding two reps on to the movements until you can no longer complete this with that 3 minute section.

Now with a 52.5kg PB for overhead squat I and the fact that I have only ever made one C2B pull up in my life, I had full intention on scaling both the weight, and the movement down to approximately 35kg and regular kipping pull ups. However, this was not an option. The level 2 scale was still with the full Rx weight, just with regular pull ups, and the level 1 scale was 30kg and band assisted pull ups.

I didn’t want to do band assisted pull ups, I personally don’t get on very well with them, and wanted to do regular kipping pull ups, so I had no choice but to bite the bullet and squat at 45kg. The only way I was going to achieve this was to clean the weight up, push press it out, lower onto my neck and then push press up into the overhead squat stance. I’m not entirely sure that was allowed as part of the standards for the competition, but as I was scaling anyway, and I’m not registered..what the hell.

I surprised myself in managing to get 8 reps off the bat in one set, and could maybe have squeezed the last two out, but the arm shakes were setting in and I dropped the weight out, meaning I had to reset in the method mentioned above. This takes time, and my squats weren’t exactly lightning speed, so by the time I’d completed 10 reps of the squat I only had 30 seconds left of the first interval. I quickly ran over to the bar and knocked out 8 kipping pull ups before the time ran out.

So, a grand total of 18 reps for my 14.2 result. I’m not completely disheartened as 8 reps at 45kg was easily a PB for that amount of reps, but it was disappointing to only get in a 3 minute workout today. If I’m feeling up for it I might pop into the gym tomorrow and attempt the same workout, but with 35kg on the bar, and regular kipping pull ups, just to see how I would have gone.

We’re bound to attempt this workout again in the future, so it will be nice to see how I progress, from getting the bar overhead easily, speed and strength on the squats, and hopefully chest to bars nailed too.

My bands:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:41 am 
Manatee

Barbell club (olympic lifting) - 09/03/14

Warm Up:

300m row
30 x 30s front squat hold
5 x power clean @ 20kg
5 x clean @ 20kg
5 x jerk @ 20kg

Lift:
3x2 high hang clean and jerk - 40kg
3x2 hang clean and jerk - 42.5kg
3x2 below knee hang clean and jerk - 42.5kg
3x2 clean and jerk - 42.5kg

This was my first time clean and jerking for months, and it really showed, I just couldn't get in the swing of it. The cleans weren't a problem at that weight and there wasn't a single failed lift, but I can tell I'm chasing the bar forward in the clean, meaning I'm not shrugging it enough, or perhaps popping too early. My foot position in the landing stages of the jerk weren't great either. These really need some work.

In better news, one of the coaches gave me a tip to get chest to bar pull ups done, which was reversing my grip, more like a chest to bar chin up. Straight off the bat I managed 5 chest to bars with comparative ease. This is obviously only a progressive move to the real thing, but it felt good finally getting that connection.

My bands:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:14 am 
Manatee

Crossfit - 11/03/14

Warm Up:

5 minute AMRAP
30 second wall handstand
10 ring rows
10 press @ 20kg
10 kettlebell swings @ 16kg

Skills:
5 minutes pull up practise

Lift:
3x5 press @ 80% (35kg)

WOD:
3 rounds for time
21 push press @ 50kg (Level 2 scale - 35kg)
15 pull ups
12 minute time cap

For the skills section I really wanted to work on chaining my kipping pull ups properly. This is something I've worked on before, and got somewhere, but then lost it again. I always seem to need to reset after each rep. So this time I made sure to push away at the top, and try to get my feet in the right position to chain into the next rep. I had some success, I chained 4 or 5 reps together on the first go. They weren't amazing reps, and I could feel the timing was off somewhere between my upper and lower body, but it was an improvement. I've been reading a lot about the technique of the kipping pull up recently, and I am really going to give this a go whilst maintaining a good hollow position where possible for maximised efficiency and also safety.

80% of my 1RM press is actually 32.5kg, but I did a 5x5 at that weight a couple of weeks ago, so I know I'm capable of more, therefore I bumped this up to 35kg. The first two sets were fine, but on the third set I rushed into it, and bailed after 4 reps. However I miscalculated the time and had another 5 minutes, so gave myself 4 minutes rest, and then completed the last set with comparative ease.

Before going into the WOD I knew that 35kg for the push press would get heavy very quickly for me, but if the open has taught me anything it's to lift weight where you can, and if nothing else I would go slower and give myself a good strength workout, which is exactly what happened. I didn't finish the workout within the timecap, but made it through to 8 reps of the last round of push press. That's pretty good volume for me at that weight. The pull ups weren't really an issue, and if nothing else they were almost like a rest between the push presses.

Last night I had another go at the stage I'm at for the 100 push up challenge too. I'm at week 3 day 2, but failed it last time, so gave it another go.

The layout was supposed to be the following:
14 reps
19 reps
14 reps
14 reps
Max reps (min 19)
90 second rest between sets (longer if required).
The only set that felt in any way easy was set 1. After that my triceps were burning! There was no way I was going to be able to do this with only 90 seconds rest, so upped this to 2 minutes for the earlier sets, and actually rested for 4 minutes before the final set. Unfortunately I only made it to 13 reps on the last set, so I'm still stuck at this level. Frustrating, but with food, sleep and patience I'll make it up a level soon (hopefully).

My bands:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:25 am 
Manatee

Crossfit 12/03/14

Warm Up:
800m run
3 rounds of:
5 push ups
3 wall walks
5 air squats
3 box jumps @ 24"

Then:
Clean mobility

Lift:
5x2 hang clean @ 80% - 50kg - PB

WOD:
3 rounds for time:
21 power cleans @ 50kg (40kg level 2 scale)
15 box jumps @ 24"
10 minute time cap - DNF

Hang clean last night felt ten times better than it did in barbell club on Sunday. No idea why, but 50kg felt pretty easy, even in the high hang position. I'm really making sure I shrug hard, and try to get the second pull in properly. If I can nail that then I think it will really help me throw more weight up there. I think I could have gone quite a bit higher on this lift, but it was supposed to be at 80%, and although I didn't have a 1RM set for high hang clean this felt about right, and there was also a lot of cleans coming up in the WOD so I left something in the tank.

The WOD finished me. Again I decided on the level 2 scale to push my strength capacity, and it was a good choice, but it got heavy fast. the first round went quickly, but the second round of power cleans were in 2s or 3s. The box jumps were fine as long as I just kept chipping away. They weren't fast, but they were steady with no missed reps. I managed to get 16 reps of the last set of power cleans before the time ran out.

Thursday has been a rest day for me over the last two weeks as the open workouts are done in the Friday morning session, however I can't make Friday morning this week, and I am going to a(nother) beer festival in the evening, so Saturday morning is also not a sensible time to do 14.3. This only leave me Sunday morning, so I may well be doing a double session on Sunday, with the open WOD first, and then barbell club straight afterwards. This should make up for the two days without training in between.

My bands:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:26 am 
Gorilla

Man, shame on me for not reading up on your brewing activities! The berry porter looks delicious. Do you have much experience with spontaneous fermentation? Also, very jealous of your garden man, would love to have the space to bring up that kind of stuff.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 212 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 15  Next