Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 212 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Andi's crossfit and bulking journal
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:09 am 
Manatee

Warm Up:
2 lengths bear crawl
30 second handstand hold
2 lengths bear crawl
10 push ups
Repeat twice
Lift:
Floor press (9x3 dynamic effort) - 40kg
4 x Max effort strict handstand push ups into kipping HSPU
4 x Max effort strict ring dips into kipping ring dips
WOD:
Tabata - bear crawl
Tabata - plate twists
Third session back after a long absence, and it feels good to be back at Dawn Patrol! A bit of an odd one today, I've never done floor press before, and wasn't sure how heavy to go, but seeing as my bench 1RM is only 60kg I did this at 40kg. I did do a set at 50kg, but I couldn't move the weight fast enough to qualify it for dynamic effort, so knocked it back down.

I tried to get a strict handstand push up out, but nothing was budging, no surprise there. I quickly bust out 10 kipping handstand push ups however, and so for the remaining 3 sets did these the recommended way, of having two plates either side of the abmat, to increase the range of motion, which made a significant difference! I only managed 1 rep, 2 reps and then another 1 rep like this, mainly because I kept coming away from the wall. I think this is just some technique work though really.

Ring dips I did all as strict, but only managed 4,3,3,4 for the sets.

What an odd workout! On paper it looked to be easy, but the bear crawls and plate twists quickly mounted up to be really strenuous, especially on around the 4th or 5th sets.

Finished up with some couch stretch, and then onto work. Back again tomorrow :)

My bands:
Extreme Noise Terror (hardcore punk)
Desecration (death metal)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:29 am 
Manatee

Warm Up:
3 rounds of
7 burpees
7 box jumps
5 bar hang with 90 degree rotation
30 seconds partner push pull
Skills practise:
Muscle up practise
Pistol practise
WOD:
16 min AMRAP
200m run
30 DUs
400m run
50 DUs
Another great session, although there was only two of us in the class today. Perhaps the cold dark mornings are getting to people.

I'm still no further on with my muscle ups, although admittedly I've not tried in several weeks. I think the key thing I need to master for the next stage is consistent chest-to-bar pull ups. I really do struggle here though, I cannot seem to get my chest to connect with the bar at all. I don't know whether it's a strength or mobility issue, likely both. When doing them on the rings I find it a lot easier, and I can get my chest to the rings much more often, but the pull is in a different position on the rings than it is with the bar, and is more of a row. Perhaps this is key to me understanding my difficulty here.
Pistol practise is coming along. I'm now using a plate as a counter balance for my right-leg, and they're coming along well. My left leg is some way behind, but I'm working through the progressions to get there.

The WOD was a good lung burner. I started off flying, with 30 chained DUs, for the first time in ages. This wasn't to be repeated, and I was mostly getting chains of around 10, occasionally 20ish. Still enough to chip through the WOD though. I ended 40 DUs short of completing my 3rd round.

As of today I've changed up my eating habits, incorporating easier to make recovery and mass gainer shakes. I'm hoping that this helps me to continue to make them, as the other ones were getting very tedious to make every evening, and I'd found myself skipping them because of that, instantly losing myself 500 calories per time. I guess it's part of working out as a vegan that I just need to get used to, if I was still taking whey it would be much easier to add this to some milk/water and the shake is made.

I'm looking to get at least 2500 calories on rest days, and 3000 on training days. Hopefully I'll start to see some weight gains, and hopefully not too much fat gain. I'll keep a close eye on this as it's shot up before when I tried to gain quickly.

My bands:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:51 pm 
VBB Moderator

30 second handstand hold, that's a good exorcize. I am working up to being able to do hand stand push ups. Do you do it against the wall or do you have the balance to hold a handstand for the whole 30 seconds freely?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:17 am 
Manatee

I can't do it freestanding yet, although I think I'm now confident enough to start to try and get a few seconds away from the wall and build up from there.

My handstand push ups are currently kipped, I can't do them strict yet, but it's something to aim for. I guess it would require being able to strict press at bodyweight, which I'm nowhere near yet.

My bands:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:41 am 
Manatee

Warm Up:
200m row
4 rounds of:
10 wide air squats
10 banded pull through
10 bar good mornings
1 length spiderman crawl

Lift:
OTM 12 x 2 dynamic effort low box squat - 60kg
OTM 8 x 1 banded deadlift - 80kg + 15kg band resistance

WOD:
3 x 12 banded kettlebell swings
3 x 12 weighted step ups - 20kg
3 minutes max toes-to-bar - only had time for one set, which was 10 reps

Low box squat felt pretty good at 60kg, I don't think I could have gone heavier without losing the dynamism required, and I had to really concentrate to keep my chest up and knees out. Getting there though!

Banded deadlifts worked out to be 95kg, approx 80% of my 1RM. These are a weird exercise, but I busted through the 8 sets on the minute. It felt heavy, but manageable.

The WOD wasn't too bad. I went for a 16kg kettlebell and a red band, but I think I could have gone to the purple band for this as it wasn't too strenuous. I did the weighted step ups with an empty bar as I'd never done them before, and wasn't sure what to expect. This weight felt good, but I could have gone a little heavier for a bit more intensity I think.

We ran out of time in the class to do the full 3 minutes on toes-to-bar as I had to get to work, but I did one max effort set anyway just to get them done as I've not done these since coming back from my break.

I'm really enjoying getting back into the swing of things at the box. This is my 3rd session this week, so it's a scheduled rest day tomorrow and then back in Saturday.

Still on for 3000 calories on workout days, and 2500 on rest days.

My bands:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:53 pm 
Batman

Did you end up training today man?
How's the calorie increase going? :)

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:
There's only one thing I'm riding at 6am, and it's not a bike!

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=29098
http://www.facebook.com/ross.d.cosgrove

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:35 pm 
Manatee

Yeah I did, it was a brutal brutal session. I'll write it up tomorrow.
I've been on 2500 calories on rest days, and 3000 on training days this week. It's going well so far cheers dude.

My bands:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:55 am 
Manatee

Two brutal sessions on the weekend, and my legs aren't thanking me for them now.

Saturday:
Warm up
5 minute personal warm up
5 minute snatch warm up
Lift
8 x 2 OTM power snatch - 35kg
WOD
With partner
60 back squat - 60/40kg
60 wall balls - 9/7kg
800m run
60 front squat - 40/30kg
40 wall balls
600m run
60 overhead squat - 30/20kg
20 wall balls
400m run
Completed in 27 minutes. I chose the lighter weight for all the movements so that I could actually make it through the workout. Kudos to my partner Gavin, who despite being considerably stronger than me, making sure I did exactly 50% of the work in this, no shying away. On the last run I thought my legs were going to give way beneath me!

Sunday - Barbell club:

Warm up:
Spiderman lunges
Front squat holds
Clean and jerk technique and drills

Lifts:
Rounds of:
High hang clean
Below the knee hang clean
Clean
Jerk

5 x 2 jerk

The above drilling was done several times, I didn't count. The emphasis was on nailing technique, rather than adding weight. This was my first time doing squat cleans in several weeks, and my technique has suffered accordingly. For this reason I worked up to 37.5kg and stuck there for the rest of the session. It's a light weight, but it meant I could really concentrate on getting into each position correctly, and quickly. For the first time ever I felt really comfortable dropping into the squat, but I suspect that comfort would have vanished if the weight had started to go up.
Jerk technique has also suffered and I need to drill this a lot. I need to make sure my front foot comes forward enough, and my back foot stays on its toes.
All in all, an excellent weekend at the box, and for the first time in ages I made 5 training sessions in 6 days. My legs are in bits today after Saturday's insane workout, so today is a rest day. Back to dawn patrol in the morning.

My bands:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:22 am 
Rabbit

The fitness level here is high! that last WOD is insane!

You're right on the squats, form is everything

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:33 am 
Manatee

It was brutal yes. Remember that the amount of reps was between two of us though.

My bands:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:35 am 
Manatee

Warm Up:
5 minute personal warm up
300m row
3 rounds of
8 front squat - 20kg
8 kettlebell swings - 16kg

Lift:
OTM 8 x 1 Squat clean @ 80% - 42.5kg

WOD:
5 rounds for time:
3 power clean @ 80% of weight performed in lift session
200m run

Completed in 6:50 with 35kg on the bar.

Another nice early morning, raring to go. Surprisingly so actually. I initially balked at the idea of doing squat cleans again, but it was actually pretty beneficial doing these so soon after barbell club, as the technique was still pretty fresh. 42.5kg was around 80% of my 1RM as prescribed, but I really felt like I could go heavier. Dropping into the squat felt perfectly achievable each time and it didn't feel particularly heavy. I'm hoping that this means a 1RM for squat clean is coming my way soon.

The WOD was a good blaster. My prescribed weight was 35kg for the power cleans, which honestly felt light, meaning I could blast through this all unbroken, something very unusual for me. Pretty pleased that I completed in 6:50, and I think I probably could have gone faster if I'd had my eye on the clock at all.

My bands:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:51 am 
Manatee

I was due at the gym at 6:30 this morning again, but I bloody overslept!! Damn it!

My bands:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:15 am 
Rabbit

extra recovery!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:17 am 
Manatee

That's one way to look at it I guess. I'm going to try and make it Thurs, Fri and Saturday now. I'd like to do the olympic lifting class on Sunday, but it's the gym Christmas gathering on Saturday night, so in all likelihood I won't be up for that.

My bands:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:37 am 
Manatee

Warm Up:
Bear Crawl tag
Bergener variation warm up
Lift:
5 x 2 snatch - 25kg
WOD:
21-15-9
Snatch - 25kg
Run 1km, 400m, 200m in between each round.
(Rx was 50kg with 1mile, 800m, 400m runs)
Disappointed with my snatching today. We had the choice of power snatch into overhead squat, or squat snatching for both the lift and the WOD, and I honestly thought I'd be able to do this at a higher weight, but no. I just couldn't drop into the squat snatch quickly enough when I tried at anything higher than 25kg. I really need to work on this. My technique feels ok at this weight, so I think as long as I work on it consistently the weight will go up, but still, disappointing.

My bands:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 212 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 15  Next