Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 503 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 34  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Get Ripped or Die Trying
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 10:47 am 
Offline
Gorilla

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:40 pm
Posts: 658
Location: Chicago, IL, USA
Ahha don't worry Ross, some of the beers I'm putting down tonight are only 4.2%... Also, some are 9%, some are 12% haha

_________________
My Training Blog: http://veganbodybuilding.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=35725


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Get Ripped or Die Trying
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 11:03 am 
Offline
Gorilla

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:40 pm
Posts: 658
Location: Chicago, IL, USA
Saturday, May 3, 2014:

:twisted: Saturday Shred :twisted:

1. BB Bench - 3 x 15 @ 145lbs
2. Supinated Row - 3 x 15 @ 110lbs
3. DB Snatch - 3 x 15* @ 25lbs

4. Sumo Squats - 3 x 12 @ 185lbs
5. Burpee - 3 x 12
6. Wide Leg Deadlift - 3 x 12 @ 100lbs

7. Pullups (neutral grip) - 3 x 12
8. Delt Raise - 3 x 12 @ 50lbs
9. Decline DB Bench - 3 x 15 @ 70lbs (last set I tried to do to failure, got to 25 reps, then gave in)

Not going to lie, the burpees, and the pullups, and the delt raises all made me want to hurl. Really shouldn't have had that tiny bit of beer last night. It really messes me up something good. Such is the life of a raw vegan, I guess. Don't think I've hit the sumo squats at 185 before. They were a real bitch. Definitely going to eat to build up some mass today! Speaking of... hahaha lunchtime!

ps. Beer Porn to follow.

_________________
My Training Blog: http://veganbodybuilding.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=35725


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Get Ripped or Die Trying
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 3:49 pm 
Offline
VBB Moderator Powerlifter & Ultrarunner
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:13 am
Posts: 3842
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand.
vegan_rossco wrote:
Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:
Only 4.7%?

Shame on you Ross !!


:(

LOL :lol:

_________________
Feel free to find me...

Image @MiniForklift
WEB: http://www.jimsty.wix.com/strength-vs-size
FB: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mini-Forklift/161273440616736?ref=hl


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Get Ripped or Die Trying
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 6:48 pm 
Offline
Gorilla

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:40 pm
Posts: 658
Location: Chicago, IL, USA
Tuesday, May 6, 2014:

HIT Day

1. Bench - 2 x 5 @ 135lbs, 2 x 6 @ 170lbs; 2:2 count.
2. Row - 2 x 5 @ 90lbs, 2 x 10 @ 140lbs; 4:4 count.

3. Pullups - 2 x 7; 4:4 count.
4. Curls - 1 x 10 @ 40 2:2 ; 2 x 10 @ 70, 2:2 count.

5. Close Grip Bench Press - 2 x 12 @ 90lbs; 2:2 count
6. Fy - 2 x 12 @ 50lbs, 2:2 count.

So this was my first attempt at a HIT Heavy Duty Mike Mentzer style training session. I probably did it all wrong, as I was doing two sets to failure, instead of just one. I did try to focus really hard on form, as well as time under tension. I'm amazed at how fatigued my chest felt after training - like absolute jello. I'd say this took all of 20 minutes, which probably could have been shorter as I was a bit disorganized in getting things together. Hopefully HITRob reads this and can give me some feedback! He's the only other one I've seen train this way hahaha. Not sure I'll stick with it as I really missed the variety; probably shows given my deviation from the recommendations. I will say it is an interesting way to train for sure!

To be honest, I'll probably train legs tomorrow. I don't really see the point in resting my entire body for four days when I've only trained a specific muscle group(s), and did not at all involve the ones I'll be subsequently training. Any argument against?

_________________
My Training Blog: http://veganbodybuilding.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=35725


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Get Ripped or Die Trying
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 1:23 am 
Offline
Elephant
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:51 am
Posts: 1288
Location: wales
esqinchi wrote:
Tuesday, May 6, 2014:

HIT Day

1. Bench - 2 x 5 @ 135lbs, 2 x 6 @ 170lbs; 2:2 count.
2. Row - 2 x 5 @ 90lbs, 2 x 10 @ 140lbs; 4:4 count.

3. Pullups - 2 x 7; 4:4 count.
4. Curls - 1 x 10 @ 40 2:2 ; 2 x 10 @ 70, 2:2 count.

5. Close Grip Bench Press - 2 x 12 @ 90lbs; 2:2 count
6. Fy - 2 x 12 @ 50lbs, 2:2 count.

So this was my first attempt at a HIT Heavy Duty Mike Mentzer style training session. I probably did it all wrong, as I was doing two sets to failure, instead of just one. I did try to focus really hard on form, as well as time under tension. I'm amazed at how fatigued my chest felt after training - like absolute jello. I'd say this took all of 20 minutes, which probably could have been shorter as I was a bit disorganized in getting things together. Hopefully HITRob reads this and can give me some feedback! He's the only other one I've seen train this way hahaha. Not sure I'll stick with it as I really missed the variety; probably shows given my deviation from the recommendations. I will say it is an interesting way to train for sure!

To be honest, I'll probably train legs tomorrow. I don't really see the point in resting my entire body for four days when I've only trained a specific muscle group(s), and did not at all involve the ones I'll be subsequently training. Any argument against?


hey buddy, good to see someone giving HIT a go! awesome way to train when done right.......a good gauge of if you doing it right is if you feel like or want to do another set then the first one wasnt intense enough :lol: i find when i get it just right i feel so sick, my muscles are almost numb feeling and my brain wont function properly for a few minutes......sounds really bad but it works. alot the of HIT way of training is in the mind, it can be quite difficult to actually push yourself that far if your not used to it but when you do learn how its done right you realise how much harder you can push yourself than you have before. hopefully the HIT man Rob will chime in now he has a much better way of putting things than me :D good luck if you continue with it 8)


oh yeah, i watched someone interviewing dorian yates on youtube, they were saying that you need to do more than one set, his responsewas........"come and train with me, and i can gaurantee you will not want to do another set" :lol:

_________________
"iam the strongest one! iam the viking!" - jon pall sigmarsson
“may all of your dreams and ambitions happen, but most important, may all of your enemies die"
www.infowars.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Get Ripped or Die Trying
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 3:05 pm 
Offline
Gorilla

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:40 pm
Posts: 658
Location: Chicago, IL, USA
[quote="mrbear666]hey buddy, good to see someone giving HIT a go! awesome way to train when done right.......a good gauge of if you doing it right is if you feel like or want to do another set then the first one wasnt intense enough :lol: i find when i get it just right i feel so sick, my muscles are almost numb feeling and my brain wont function properly for a few minutes......sounds really bad but it works. alot the of HIT way of training is in the mind, it can be quite difficult to actually push yourself that far if your not used to it but when you do learn how its done right you realise how much harder you can push yourself than you have before. hopefully the HIT man Rob will chime in now he has a much better way of putting things than me :D good luck if you continue with it 8)


oh yeah, i watched someone interviewing dorian yates on youtube, they were saying that you need to do more than one set, his responsewas........"come and train with me, and i can gaurantee you will not want to do another set" :lol: [/color][/quote]

Thanks man, for the tips and encouragement. I can definitely see it would take some getting used to. I'm also a bit uneasy with the fact that I'm lifting to failure without a spotter, and usually while I am home alone (even if my wife could help, I'd probably end up dead haha). So, I'm not sure how full on with it I'll go, but maybe I can get close.

_________________
My Training Blog: http://veganbodybuilding.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=35725


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Get Ripped or Die Trying
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 3:17 pm 
Offline
Gorilla

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:40 pm
Posts: 658
Location: Chicago, IL, USA
Note #1: Took yesterday off to tend to some ants that invaded our kitchen - the little bastards! Hopefully they'll have moved on by the time I get home today, so I can get to training. Going to do legs.

Note #2: I am sore as fuck from Tuesday's HIT training. Really, really sore. Not sure that I'll continue training that way, as I think I would really miss training. Though I do think it's cool to toss training in like that every once in a while.

_________________
My Training Blog: http://veganbodybuilding.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=35725


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Get Ripped or Die Trying
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 7:18 pm 
Offline
Gorilla

Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 5:03 pm
Posts: 512
Hi Chris,

These will be of interest to you...

Mike Mentzer of training to failure (listen carefully to the first 5 minutes)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTk4R22DFDo

John Little on frequency (fast forward to 51.30, very interesting what John has to say here)
http://www.highintensitynation.com/2011 ... hn-little/

Mike Mentzer of training frequency (listen carefully to the first 4 minutes)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWs9R2AsYvc

Hope this helps, let us know what your thoughts are:)
Best
Rob


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Get Ripped or Die Trying
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 9:04 am 
Offline
Gorilla

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:40 pm
Posts: 658
Location: Chicago, IL, USA
Thursday, May 8, 2014:

Leg Day

1. Front Squat - 3 x 15 @ 70lbs
2. Lunge Kicks - 3 x 15*

3. Deadlift - 3 x 15 @ 145
4. Squat Jump - 3 x 15

5. Angle Lunge - 3 x 12 @ 70lbs
6. HighKnees - 3 x 50

Felt like training today, so I abandoned the HIT style for today. I feel like I don't know enough about it to competently engage, so I got Mentzer's book, and will look into it further after doing some reading/research. Anyhow, training felt good today. Got my heart rate up with the hiit stuff, as well as a bit of calisthenics. Food has been good, but rest has been kind of crappy as of late. I will say that I felt much better yesterday having taken a day or so off from Tuesday's training. Maybe Mentzer was on to something.... haha

_________________
My Training Blog: http://veganbodybuilding.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=35725


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Get Ripped or Die Trying
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 9:17 am 
Offline
Gorilla

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:40 pm
Posts: 658
Location: Chicago, IL, USA
HIT Rob wrote:
Hi Chris,

These will be of interest to you...

Mike Mentzer of training to failure (listen carefully to the first 5 minutes)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTk4R22DFDo

John Little on frequency (fast forward to 51.30, very interesting what John has to say here)
http://www.highintensitynation.com/2011 ... hn-little/

Mike Mentzer of training frequency (listen carefully to the first 4 minutes)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWs9R2AsYvc

Hope this helps, let us know what your thoughts are:)
Best
Rob


Thanks for the links Rob, and the insight. I definitely need to watch them a couple times to get the points down well, but it sounds like he's saying we are predisposed to grow to a certain size, given our skeletal composition, and that we don't see any real benefit from our training until (roughly) at least a week after each session. It makes sense, especially given the "cut healing" analogy John Little uses; though I wonder if skeletal muscle tissue responds/heals faster than dermis.

One thing I can't seem to get over is that, even though I do one set to failure, invariably I can rest a few minutes, and come back and do another set. Pretty much anyone could, so it seems. But, I'm going to watch the entire seminar. Note above that I bought his book, so hopefully I'll have a greater understanding after that.

_________________
My Training Blog: http://veganbodybuilding.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=35725


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Get Ripped or Die Trying
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 5:43 am 
Offline
Batman
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 6:15 am
Posts: 1494
Location: Isle of Wight, England
I loved the links too ahha, I'm really adopting this style of training, it's a work in progress obviously!

How are things bud? With my extra rest days I'm not using the forum much so haven't had a chance to chat to many people

_________________
klaatu21 wrote:
sensai ross, forgive me for doubting you and myself

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:
There's only one thing I'm riding at 6am, and it's not a bike!

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=29098
http://www.facebook.com/ross.d.cosgrove


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Get Ripped or Die Trying
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 7:51 pm 
Offline
Gorilla

Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 5:03 pm
Posts: 512
esqinchi wrote:
HIT Rob wrote:
Hi Chris,

These will be of interest to you...

Mike Mentzer of training to failure (listen carefully to the first 5 minutes)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTk4R22DFDo

John Little on frequency (fast forward to 51.30, very interesting what John has to say here)
http://www.highintensitynation.com/2011 ... hn-little/

Mike Mentzer of training frequency (listen carefully to the first 4 minutes)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWs9R2AsYvc

Hope this helps, let us know what your thoughts are:)
Best
Rob


Thanks for the links Rob, and the insight. I definitely need to watch them a couple times to get the points down well, but it sounds like he's saying we are predisposed to grow to a certain size, given our skeletal composition, and that we don't see any real benefit from our training until (roughly) at least a week after each session. It makes sense, especially given the "cut healing" analogy John Little uses; though I wonder if skeletal muscle tissue responds/heals faster than dermis.

One thing I can't seem to get over is that, even though I do one set to failure, invariably I can rest a few minutes, and come back and do another set. Pretty much anyone could, so it seems. But, I'm going to watch the entire seminar. Note above that I bought his book, so hopefully I'll have a greater understanding after that.


No worries mate,

Indeed that's what John is saying, we all have a genetic medicated limit. However their are many who fail to recognize this.

I would have to say Chris, i find machines fatigue my muscle's more so than free weights do, probably due to the fact i can achieve greater muscular contractions. I've encountered quite a few hitters who've said the same, so possibly adding a little more volume when using free weights is wouldn't hurt, experiment and see how ya go with it:)
As Mike pointed out the other day, this type of training can take a while for the individual to develop the neuromuscular efficiency require to "let it all hang out" in just one set, so again perhaps you may require 2-3 sets. Markus Reinhardt sums it up perfectly in this short video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyeMgu_xUyk

For myself, I've been doing this for years ,when i go to failure there's no way in hell i could perform a second set to failure, even if i waited an hour lol. In fact a 15-20 minute workout leaves me generally fatigued for sometimes several days after. But this is what is required Chris, we must literately threaten our own physiology when we train, the body will take this on board and to protract itself from future assaults of the same magnitude it'll come back stronger. For those who believe one should leave the gym feeling "invigorated" i can only say they are sorely mistaken:))

Best wishes and good luck
Rob


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Get Ripped or Die Trying
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 9:20 pm 
Offline
Gorilla

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:40 pm
Posts: 658
Location: Chicago, IL, USA
HIT Rob wrote:
No worries mate,

Indeed that's what John is saying, we all have a genetic medicated limit. However their are many who fail to recognize this.

I would have to say Chris, i find machines fatigue my muscle's more so than free weights do, probably due to the fact i can achieve greater muscular contractions. I've encountered quite a few hitters who've said the same, so possibly adding a little more volume when using free weights is wouldn't hurt, experiment and see how ya go with it:)
As Mike pointed out the other day, this type of training can take a while for the individual to develop the neuromuscular efficiency require to "let it all hang out" in just one set, so again perhaps you may require 2-3 sets. Markus Reinhardt sums it up perfectly in this short video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyeMgu_xUyk

For myself, I've been doing this for years ,when i go to failure there's no way in hell i could perform a second set to failure, even if i waited an hour lol. In fact a 15-20 minute workout leaves me generally fatigued for sometimes several days after. But this is what is required Chris, we must literately threaten our own physiology when we train, the body will take this on board and to protract itself from future assaults of the same magnitude it'll come back stronger. For those who believe one should leave the gym feeling "invigorated" i can only say they are sorely mistaken:))

Best wishes and good luck
Rob


Rob - you said it man! I read through the majority of Mentzer's HIT the Mentzer Way book today while I got the brakes on my car fixed. REALLY makes a ton of sense! I never really got his "every rep prior to failure is just a warmup" until today, but now it makes total sense. Also, I tend to be pretty literal, so that explains my initial hesitation regarding being able to feel satisfied with one set. I trained upper body again today, as I didn't feel sore any longer from last Tuesday's training. I still did two sets for everything, but, I felt much more fatigued after each one - as in, immediately after - so I think I got a taste at least of what you are talking about. In time I'll get better at it I'm sure. Either way, Mentzer was obviously VERY smart, as well as physically gifted. He was HUGE! Thanks for turning me on to his teachings mate, really opened my eyes.

ps. I can totally see how one would like using machines, not only for better range of motion, more restrictive tracking, but also, less fear of killing yourself while lifting heavy weights to failure. If I couldn't raise the bar back up doing bench press while training at home (alone), I'd have a long wait til my wife got home from work to call for help!

_________________
My Training Blog: http://veganbodybuilding.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=35725


Last edited by esqinchi on Sat May 10, 2014 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Get Ripped or Die Trying
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 9:23 pm 
Offline
Gorilla

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:40 pm
Posts: 658
Location: Chicago, IL, USA
vegan_rossco wrote:
I loved the links too ahha, I'm really adopting this style of training, it's a work in progress obviously!

How are things bud? With my extra rest days I'm not using the forum much so haven't had a chance to chat to many people


I'm good mate! I hope you guys are doing well over there. That's one thing I'll miss if I keep up with the HIT training as well. Maybe we can coordinate our training days haha. Not much new here. Going to a wedding tomorrow, so should get properly sloshed. But I also want to get up early Monday and enjoy the extra day off. What's new with you? Did you land any of those jobs?

_________________
My Training Blog: http://veganbodybuilding.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=35725


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Get Ripped or Die Trying
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 9:28 pm 
Offline
Gorilla

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:40 pm
Posts: 658
Location: Chicago, IL, USA
Saturday, May 10, 2014:

HIT Saturday - Upper Body

I. Bench Press
A. 2 x 10 @ 135lbs
B. 2 x 8 @ 170lbs

II. Delt Raise
A. 2 x 10 @ 50lbs
B. 2 x 18 @ 70lbs

III. T Bar Row
A. 2 x 15 @ 80lbs
B. 2 x 12 @ 155lbs

IV. Curls
A. 2 x 15 @ 40lbs
B. 1 x 8 @ 75lbs
C. 1 x 10 @ 75lbs

V. Dips
A. 1 x 50 (failure)

This felt really great today, and by great, I felt like I was going to puke after each heavy set hahaha. I could definitely see myself progressing well this way. Indeed, this is a great way to train. And even if I train "too often" for Mentzer's rules, I'm still making some progress, provided that I'm not training this way every day, or even every other day. There's got to be a (relative) sweet spot for everyone - even though "A" is "A" hahaha. Once I get used to the sensation, I'm sure I'll be better at completely giving into the training. Taking a couple days off now for some much needed rest and fun!

_________________
My Training Blog: http://veganbodybuilding.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=35725


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 503 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 34  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  



{ ASACP_CREDITS }
{ ASACP_CREDITS }
{ ASACP_CREDITS } Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group