Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 502 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 34  Next
 Post subject: Re: Get Ripped or Die Trying
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:31 am 
Batman

I remember seeing loads of stuff about insanity, the only thing that put me off doing it was the whole, over the top infomercial crap ahha, the workouts looked killer! How are you finding it?

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:
There's only one thing I'm riding at 6am, and it's not a bike!

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=29098
http://www.facebook.com/ross.d.cosgrove

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:57 pm 
Gorilla

vegan_rossco wrote:
I remember seeing loads of stuff about insanity, the only thing that put me off doing it was the whole, over the top infomercial crap ahha, the workouts looked killer! How are you finding it?

Dude, if you're looking to burn a ton of calories, and develop some legit power (not strength) in your legs that will improve your sprints, burn fat, up your vO2 - that kind of stuff - then Insanity is killer. I think it would be great for someone coming off of a bulk. But, I also think it would depend on how bulky one was prior to starting. It has a pretty steep learning curve given that it is so cardio intensive. I remember when I first tried it out, it took me a month just to get through the warmup without having to pause the video and take a break. The cool thing is that you can make it as challenging as you want. You can loaf through it, take extra breaks, or you can go all out the whole time, even harder than the people on the video (who frequently have to take breaks in the middle of the circuits) and likely puke everywhere, maybe even go to the hospital haha.

Would I buy it again? Maybe, but not if I had the patience to come up with 45+ minutes of HIIT circuit training on my own. Also, I'd say that about 10 minutes of that 45 is stretching. I tend to skip the stretching because, well, I find it is just too damn long. When I'm ready to train, I'm ready to fucking train. Some of the dvd's are more like 70 minutes, so I'm sure those will be much more difficult to get through, since I feel like the 35 minutes of work is plenty.

It's funny I actually remember your post from many months ago, and I even wrote up a big response similar to that above - but for whatever reason the website crapped out and didn't post it. So, here you go! haha!

ps. yeah, the infomercial stuff is pretty awful, and there are some terribly annoying people on the videos (Google: Tonya Insanity).

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:02 pm 
Gorilla

Wednesday, August 6, 2014:

Insanity Day Redux

Did the Cardio Plyometric Circuit video today. It was tough! But, I felt much better about my performance today than I did yesterday. Still, had to pause up a couple times throughout the middle to take a little extra rest. The format is set up like 4 minutes of work, 30 seconds of rest. I need more rest, otherwise I'll pass out. Plus, I noticed that if you don't allow yourself to nearly fully recover from the work periods, form really starts to suffer. Nevertheless, I was able to get through it all and finish strong! I was sore as hell all over today, even in my lats which I don't remember working at all yesterday haha. I'll probably be crazy sore tomorrow, but I still plan to hit up some weights on lower body.

Giant bowl of steamed veggies and salsa for dinner. Really digging on sweet potatoes lately!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:13 pm 
Gorilla

Thursday, August 7, 2014:

Legs

1. Sumo Squat - 3 x 12 @ 200lbs
2. 180* Jumps - 3 x 16
-
3. Close Stance Deadlift - 3 x 15 @ 140lbs
4. HighKnees - 3 x 50
-
5. Lunge Trio (Side, Bulgarian Split, Angled) - 3 x 12* @ 70lbs
6. Long Jumps - 3 x 12

Return to the weights today, which was nice. I really like splitting my weeks, and I was in need of a change from just strength training. I think I'll keep this up for a few weeks and see if I notice any improvements. Wife was home sick today, so I gotta run and take care of her for a bit. Off tomorrow, and then weights again on Saturday for some upper body lifting.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:22 pm 
Gorilla

Saturday, August 8, 2014:

Upper / Core / Giant Sets

1. Bench - 3 x 12 @ 165lbs
2. Row - 3 x 12 @ 145lbs
3. Elevated Oblique Dips - 3 x 15*
-
4. Pullups - 3 x 12
5. Delt Fly - 3 x 12 @ 70lbs
6. Bicycle Abs - 3 x 50
-
7. Front Dips - 3 x 20
8. EZ Curls - 3 x 15 @ 55lbs
9. Decline Reverse Crunch - 3 x 20

Solid training today, and good to go back to giant sets; haven't done that in a while. Surprised I could get through all those pullups without much of a struggle. I will say though after all that I'm absolutely STARVING! Have a good weekend!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:55 am 
Gorilla

Tuesday, August 12, 2014:

Insanity - Cardio Power and Resistance

Repeated last week's training. Though I think I might only do one day of lifting this week, and supplant with three days of Insanity. I like the change, much needed. Eating clean, looking lean.

Will update more tonight after training.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:49 pm 
Gorilla

Wednesday, August 13, 2014:

Insanity - Pure Cardio

Great training today, and really tough! This video is basically 30 minutes of non-stop moving. Felt really nice to get into this today. Also, pretty proud of myself given that I could keep up with Shaun T for about 80% of the whole time. In fact, I only paused the dvd once for about a minute (and even then it was about 20 minutes in), and then took a quick break a couple times thereafter. This change was totally what I needed at the moment. I'm even looking forward to hitting it again tomorrow!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:13 pm 
Gorilla

Thursday, August 14, 2014:

Insanity - Plyometric Video

This was awesome. Really feeling progress, and seeing it in the mirror as well. Most likely shedding excess water, but my chest appears to be leaning out, as well as my lower belly. Awesome! I was interrupted though by these two guys who were outside staining our deck. By the way, they did a fucking TERRIBLE job. Now I get to spend most of tomorrow stripping the poorly applied stain, brightening the deck, and prepping it for staining again next weekend. They did such a terrible job painting the stain on. Only an idiot would make such a mistake. I called the seller who was responsible for hiring the painters, and he basically told me to to go fuck myself, and that he wasn't responsible for "how the wood absorbed the stain." The issue wasn't the wood absorbing the stain, but that the assclowns he hired applied the stain so incorrectly it looked like a five year old's fingerpainting. Here's the lesson: (1) He's a trashy piece of shit, and I hope this shit comes back around to hurt him; and (2) I'm never hiring anyone again for anything I can't do myself; and (3) I'm going to try everything to do with my house myself at least once in the future.

I'll squeeze in some weights tomorrow morning, but my main focus is the deck.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:33 pm 
Gorilla

Tuesday, August 19, 2014:

HIIT + Strength

WarmUp Circuit (2 Rounds)
- Insanity HIIT Circuit (30 Seconds Each Of: Jog, Jumping Jacks, Heisman, 123 Heisman, Buttkicks, Highknees, Mummies)

Working Circuit (2 Rounds, Rest 2 Minutes Between)
1. Bench x 15 @ 160lbs
2. Squat Jumps x 60 seconds
- Rest 30 Seconds -
3. Row x 12 @ 150lbs
4. HighKnees x 60 seconds
- Rest 30 Seconds -
5. Squat-Curl-Arnold Press x 15 @ 50lbs
6. Suicide Drill x 60 seconds
- Rest 30 Seconds -
7. PullUps x 12
8. 123 Heismans x 60 Seconds

Finisher Circuit (1 Round)
1. Shadow Jabs x 30 seconds
2. Pushup Jacks x 20
3. Shadowbox Attack! x 30 seconds

And..... I'm hungry! :lol: :popcorn:

This was pretty challenging, and a lot of fun. I love doing HIIT stuff, and mixing it with weights really ramps up the intensity. I think if I ever have significant amount of land I'll build a little obstacle course for myself with training stations. That would be sweet! Anyhow, I'm happy to get this done today. Didn't get to train last Saturday because I spent the whole day stripping the stain off of our deck from those assclowns who did a shit job. I'll be out in the heat this Saturday sanding the whole thing down to get it ready for staining - weather permitting. Anyhow, I really am starving, and I should probably have some veggies as opposed to just eating more of these dried figs! Tomorrow: More Insanity. Thursday: Legs + HIIT ( :psycho: )

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:03 pm 
Gorilla

Wednesday, August 20, 2014:

Insanity Pure Cardio DVD

Killer workout today. Felt pretty great throughout, despite having some weird middle back pain yesterday. Did some foam rolling afterward which seemed to help. Don't really have much else to say. Probably going to hit up another dvd tonight (Thursday).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:00 pm 
Gorilla

Thursday, August 21, 2014:

Insanity - Cardio Power & Resistance

Having a lot of fun with these DVDs, and hopefully not losing too much strength with all the cardio. They are definitely more entertaining than just lifting, at least right now. I'll hit the weights on Saturday. Honestly though, after lifting on Tuesday, I just really didn't feel it all that much the following day. It would have been a week or so since I did any bench press work, and not a smidgen of soreness the day after, or even today. I figured I would really be feeling it, given the break. Oh well, I'm certainly burning a ton of calories. Finding myself totally drenched at the end of these vids.

Food is still super clean. Managed to lower my fat intake, as I am nearly certain that is to explain for my recent weight gain. Haven't hopped on the scale in about a week, but have noticed I look leaner in the mirror. Still have some lingering belly fat, and also on my lower back. REALLY annoying!

Day of rest tomorrow.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:14 pm 
Gorilla

Saturday, August 23, 2014:

#LaterPost

1. Bench - 3 x 10 @ 175lbs
2. Row - 3 x 15 @ 130lbs
-
3. Front Squats - 3 x 20 @ 70lbs
4. Deadlift - 3 x 12 @ 175lbs
-
5. Pullups - 3 x 12
6. Curls- 3 x 10 @ 70lbs
7. Bar Dips - 3 x 15

Posting this up today (Monday 8/25) from last Saturday, because as I was about to post on Saturday, a giant bolt of lightning struck the electrical wires nearby our house and took out power for approxmiately 24 hours. I was busy when power was restored yesterday, so . . . Anyhow, weights on a Saturday, a nice change of pace. Felt good to put some stuff up in the air as opposed to jumping around like a crazy person. Strength still there, apparently, and I felt proper sore the next day - so that was nice. I think I'll keep this schedule for another couple weeks, then go back to mostly weights for a couple weeks, then return again.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:57 pm 
Gorilla

Tuesday, August 26, 2014:

Insanity - Plyometric Cardio Circuit

Back in action after a couple days off. I always feel a bit hesitant right before training, but once I get into it, I'm good all the way. Lately my appetite has been nearly insatiable. I have no idea how many calories I'm taking in, but it seems like I can never get enough. I'm basically hungry within a couple hours of eating, sometimes less. Good news though is that my weight isn't really increasing rapidly, or at all for that matter. Weighed in yesterday at 158lbs, and that was after a weekend of snacking on whatever non-raw stuff I wanted, and without restriction. I bet that added at least 2-3lbs of weight. Seems like my body is pretty slow to digest anything non-raw after eating only raw for a few days. Also, this past weekend marks the third week of not drinking. I must say I've really enjoyed the dry spell. I've noticed I have more energy, no hangovers (obviously), better hydration, less irritability during the week, and less water retention. All good things.

Unfortunately, I'll likely break my streak this weekend as we are going to a wedding on Friday, that happens to be at a local brewery that makes some pretty solid beers. I'll behave though since its on Friday, and I plan on training on Saturday; or at least getting up early.

Anyhow, I'll be back tomorrow with Core Cardio, Thursday will be Cardio Power.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:05 pm 
Gorilla

Wednesday, August 27, 2014:

Insanity: Pure Cardio

I'd have to say that this is the most difficult video of the bunch, at least for the first part of the program. It's a 12 minute warmup (that's more like an entire workout for some people), and then approx 35 minutes of non-stop HIIT exercises, back to back, about a minute each. Definitely burns a ton of calories. But, since it's shorter than the rest of the videos, it doesn't feel like it drags on - well, it did the first few times :lol: Anyhow, I am still enjoying the change up in training, but can tell my body is adapting faster than I thought. What was pretty difficult a few weeks ago is now easier, or at least more predictable. Maybe I should move on to the second part of the box set. Haven't really seen any of those, but I do know they are a bit longer time-wise. Maybe more like an hour, hour-fifteen.

Might hit some weights tomorrow. Not sure yet.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:07 pm 
Gorilla

Thursday, August 28, 2014:

HIIT + Weights

Warmup: Insanity Warmup (approx 12 minutes of HIIT)
Weights Circuit (3 Rounds, Rest 3 Minutes):
1. Close Grip Bench Press x 15 @ 120lbs
2. Delt Fly x 12 @ 70lbs
3. Squat Curl Arnold Press x 15 @ 50lbs
4. Decline Reverse Crunch x 20
5. Close Stance Deadlift x 15 @ 120lbs
6. Bulgarian Split Squat x 15* @ 70lbs

Ok so this was pretty killer. I feel pretty beat up after this session, honestly. I may have overdid it a little bit today, as I am finding it difficult to focus on this post. Not much else to say except for that I'm pretty pumped tomorrow is Friday.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 502 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 34  Next