Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: VeganBeast training log
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 9:55 am 
Elephant

Back in Michigan for the summer. So far, I have jogged on the Polly Ann Trail (double loop from Indianwood to Burdick - 10 mile flat with slight incline/decline), and I just got back from my first bike on the Polly Ann Trail to the Lapeer County line (22 miles). I noticed that biking on my son's mountain bike really targeted my glutes (the lower half) and around my knees. Did not get all sweaty like I do when I run, so my heart rate is probably kept low during the biking - have to try to go faster if my knees can take it - I babied the knees today, not wanting to hurt myself on my first day.
Going to be 70 degreee F today. Time to start tanning probably. Trying to balance getting a nice color, getting my Vitamin D, and not getting any more skin discolorations (between freckles and moles, and the dreaded age spots - which I do not think I have . . . yet), it is going to be interesting how I will be able to do it.
Today is Delt day. I am working out at night (8 PM to 9:30 PM) and it hard to get motivated that late at night. It is going to have to be a commitment thing. I know once I get there, I can do a good workout, BUT it is just getting my arse in the car and driving the 5 minutes to get there. .

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 9:03 am 
Elephant

Today was an awesome morning. Took me forever to do the usual 10 mile double loop for my morning cardio jog. I stopped jogging to walk and talk with Stan and his dog George, he too just got back to Michigan because he lives in San Diego but he had to evacuate his home because of the forest fires there. Wow! We compared disaster stories between the tornadoes in Michigan and the Earthquakes and fires in California (when I lived in California, I witnessed 2 earthquakes and countless brush fires along the freeways, I have only gone thru blizzards and hail/severe thunderstorms in Michigan - no tornado . . luckily!). And I had to wait in line at the portapotty located on the trail's parking lot! The leaves on the trees are not fully out yet, so I waited. . . lol.

Today is an easy day at the gym: Triceps. Last night's bodypart was Chest. I was not fully into it last night. The night before's Leg Day was still draining me - wasn't really that sore, but I could feel a deep drain of energy gone. Hopefully today I can recoup.

New thing today that I saw was that VeganEssentials.com was showing a new item by Gardein called Fish fillets! I laughed because I really did not like breaded fish sticks as a kid even. Wonder what these might be like? And I guess you could put algae in the gluten to get a fish taste - not my preference though. Though I remember loving tartar sauce!

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 6:11 am 
Elephant

Good morning! Another cool and sunny morning. Today I think I am going to do some biking. On my to do list is tanning and Back workout tonight. My diet is going to be tight for today - no extra calories yet.
Last nights workout of Triceps was easy, and it was the first time since getting back to Michigan that I wrote down what I did and what the poundages was for each exercise I did. Last week, I just went and lifting according to what I FELT like doing. Now I have written down what I did last time, and can look at it and push myself to do more (either in reps or in weight) in the next workout.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:05 pm 
Elephant

Been busy with life. Still working out strong, and upping my jogging/running to 10-12 miles every other day. The other every other day is biking, which use to be a casual stroll along the trail, but now I have a biking partner, and has upped my intensity just to keep up!

Today I switched my workout time to 2 PM (going to get it to be around 1 PM tomorrow) instead of my routine of 8 PM to 10 PM (which usually ends up being 11 PM, and then a trip to the store afterwards (errands), which lands me back at home just before midnight, and am still up after ingesting my protein shake with loads of carbs) which leaves me little time for sleep as I wake up with the sun at 6 AM for cardio! It is almost 10 PM now and am very sleepy! Yeah! I think the turning point came when I wanted to just sleep for an hour (4 to 5 PM and then get up and make dinner for the family), but I came down the stairs to them finishing up dinner at 6:30 PM! Oops! Time to change it up.

Chest was today. I did 3 exercises - Hammer Strength Incline Chest Press, Pec Dec Machine Flyes with the seat down (hands coming together in front of my chin), and a perpendicular/vertical grip on the StarTrac Chest Press Machine. These are my favorite blast at the weight exercises. I have a tweak in my left shoulder/neck area, but I found if I hold my head up high and turn it either towards or away from the left tweaked side, the tweak goes away. I also keep my shoulder blades flat and together and use that as my base to push up into the seat of the machine as I lift the weights (counterbalance of forces). I had a pump going on with the second exercise (peck dec flyes) at the heaviest weight (120lbs) and it felt wonderful.

Tomorrow is jogging morning, and I usually go on the Paint Creek Trail, starting in Lake Orion and going to Rochester/Tienken intersection - a nice 12+ mile jog. I hope it stays cool in the morning as it has all week. Been increasing my calories to include some sweets lately. Chicago Diner's carrot cake with cream cheese frosting is awesome! And 365 brand Aloe Vera juice is good too.

Well time to sleep and recover! Neighbors are doing fireworks, and I turned off the AC to open up the windows as it is cooler outside than inside (even with the AC, and the humidity is down). Great, I love going to bed with booms, bangs, and whistles! Unfortunately my eyes will be closed, so I won't enjoy the pretty colors! LOL!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:43 am 
Elephant

Easy day so far with a 25 mile bike ride with my partner. Pushed it faster today, especially up the sloping incline - my glutes were a screaming! Going to be a hot and humid day in Michigan again (yesterday was dripping wet) with a chance of thunderstorms in the afternoon to possibly cool us down for the evening!

Yesterday was Triceps, and did 3 exercises for those: Rope Pressdown, Overhead Rope Tricep Extension (with the starting point at waist height behind me instead of up over the head), and Assisted Dips. I was able to do what I usually do with those exercises weight wise, except no bodyweight on the Dips yet.

Today is Back. Must remember to bring my VersaGripps with me this time so I can pull that heavy weight without my hand grip stopping me.

Should also tan today, but it is so hot already. Maybe later on, after the thunderstorms pass by. . . .

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:30 am 
Elephant

No tanning. Had a nice downpour in the afternoon. I stood in the garage and listened to it come down softly at first, and then ending in a loud cacophony of noises. So cooling afterwards. . .

Back workout was awesome. I was doing OK with the weights, not quite back up to where I was, but close.

Hot weather this morning. Jogging is on the agenda, but am considering biking instead. I am going to try jogging first, but if I get to sweaty and overheated, then I will head back home and do some biking. I am suppose to get a new bike today. My biking partner has a 29er, and after seeing him go over the soil eroded interesection with ease, I decided I wanted one of those too. It is suppose to come today in the mail (ordered it from bikesdirect.com). I wonder if I will be able to out pedal him on the trails.

After Back is Biceps for my workout today in the afternoon.

A massage is on the agenda for tonight. I am going to go to one of those franchise places. I wonder if I will get reprimanded by their masseuse also - my usual bodyworker is married and has moved away. She received a good workout just trying to get the knots out of my quads.

Fun day.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:25 am 
Elephant

Siren went off during last night. Got up and open up the laptop to find out we had a thunderstorm warning. OK. I already had checked the lawn and the deck before I went to bed and was ready for the 70 mph winds and 1/4 inch hail. . . 2 loud firecracker proud thunders and several minutes of rain, with a 5 minute light show of lightening. Was not impressed by this thunderstorm when it finally reached my town. All I know now, is that it is a cool 60 something F degrees outside and am loving it (baking muffins as I post this, as I can feel good about turning on the oven when the AC is off).
My morning is slowly getting away from me from doing early morning cardio. A bike ride is on the agenda for today. I get to find out all the downed trees and shrubbery along the trail from the storm last night. If it stays nice and cool, with a breeze too!, then it won't be bad to be heading out so late. Now do I eat my muffin before? or shall I leave it for when I get back? . . .Cinnamon Apple Almond slivers with carrot slivers muffins are smelling up the whole house! Plus I was lazy and did not wash my bike shorts till this morning, and they are going around in the dryer. . . maybe just one before I leave.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:06 pm 
Elephant

Took yesterday off due to female stuff (so annoying!). Another reason why I would like to get my bodyfat way way down - make that go away.

Today I did not do morning cardio either. Slept in till mid-morning, because my body wanted too (plus I was up every 2 hours that night). With a little help from ibprofen, I was able to go to the gym this afternoon and do Delts (little core tightening, but not too much to bother my lower abdominal region too much). I also was able to push the weights back to where I left off last time (90lbs on the Smith Press machine doing Military Shoulder Press for 10 reps). Downing my protein shake made with Rice Milk right now, and then I will finish off my Coconut Milk Ice Cream (Cookie Dough) pint for my extra carb calories after working out so hard.

Thinking about doing either some yoga tonight or swimming in our lake (if I can take the seaweed tickling my legs as I swim overhead of their leaves that are reaching for the sunlight and able to grow to that height due to the neighbor's fertilizer runoff. . . sigh).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:45 am 
Elephant

July 4th today. Started out trying out my new bike on a 25 mile trail loop that I usually do with a couple extra miles added for fun. I liked it alot! I have a bike called a 29er, and it went right over the soil eroded intersection at Curtis Rd without a problem. I took my time biking as my biking partner is still out for the whole week (on rest and corticosteriods to heal up his ripped tendon attached to the heel).

I plan to do some tanning and Legs at the gym today.

Favorite song of the morning was this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sETfN2g ... 2gaYPw#t=7

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:15 pm 
Elephant

Been biking in the mornings. Quads have been so sore and fatigued since Leg day that I haven't been wanting to run in the morning at all these past 2 days. In fact my quad spasmed during the bike ride on the way back home (after 1 and 1/2 hour of biking pretty hard - partner is back and he pushed me hard today when I should have just backed off and coddle my quads. LOL!).

Luckily today is Triceps, and Chest day was good yesterday (I was able to do just a little bit more weight than last Chest workout). Ran out of creatine, and debating whether to go to the store and get some before I go workout today, or just to go without it and do it tomorrow (which I will need as it will be Back workout day). Tomorrow it is.

Looking at shows to do. I will go to the one that is 2 weeks from today, Michigan Natural NPC, just to see what is going on in the competitions here in Michigan. Someone told me that I would be perfect for Physique, so I will have to check out their poses and suits (and bling, bling stuff). There is 3 shows around here in September, so that is doable for me to get comp ready by then. And I see that 2 of them are National Qualifiers, and that Nationals is in October. So perfect timing. So time to get dieting down another 10 lbs away for Physique, or 20 lbs for BB. . . I guess I have a goal in mind now.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:59 pm 
Elephant

Hey Gaia! I went to a show last month here in the MO/KS area and wasn't impressed with what I saw. NPC and the figure could of passed for bikini and the bikini well they were just soft and extra jiggly :( Only a few were spot on. I really don't think the guys were even ready.

I don't make excuses... I make results

If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:40 am 
Elephant

Today as I was jogging, my partner reminded me that I don't have a Physique model body (tall and lean) and that if I go up against them I might not place. I have a short and stocky type of body - made for bodybuilding. Plus I get so worked up when I think about wearing bling bling and high heels (not that I don't like to wear them. I just don't want to be judged on them. My muscles should be all that is judged). Thus my mental focus is going to be on getting ripped/dieting down to be in the BB part of the show. I do hope I have some competition. Last year there was only one female BB in the Michigan Natural. I will have to go up and talk to the female BB contestant(s) in the upcoming show and ask them about the other shows coming up in September.

Only 5 miles today jogging. I have Back today at the gym, and that always takes a huge toll on my energy, so I saved some energy up for the workout today. I also have a massage tonight (been a long time since I had one of those), and wonder if I will get reprimanded for all the knots in my quads. LOL. I will have to give an extra tip if she gets all of them out.

Thinking about starting a facebook page. I wanted to wait till I got my iPhone and take some selfies to post on it. I have about 8 weeks out. Had my green smoothie today so far. Oatmeal after my shower, and Gardein with brown rice before my workout. I have to get creatine before my workout too. I love how that kicks in after half an hour of working out (extra boost of energy when the caffeine is gone). Still going to push the weights today, and hopefully the massage will not hurt too bad.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:12 pm 
VBB Moderator

You're all over eveyone's logs with encouragement, awesome, you're definitely appreciated here!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:51 am 
Elephant

Thank you C.O.!

It is the morning after the massage at night. She worked on my neck, shoulders, and back (especially around my shoulder blades). I woke up so sore! All I can think of is how soft my skin is! I bought an organic grapeseed massage oil, being that it is an oil that is not too thin that it slips right over the skin and my other massage therapist said she can't feel the muscles with that kind of oil (hard to get at the knots) and my other rose oil was way too heavy and I did not like how it left my skin feeling cold and clammy! Grapeseed oil is just right. Now, if I can just afford to get the $100 for a teeny tiny bottle of pure organic rose oil (http://www.alteyaorganics.com/roseoil.html) to pour into the grapeseed oil (and possibly carrot seed and pomegranate oil also: https://www.mountainroseherbs.com/catal ... ntial-oils) for anti-aging properties. It is just going to take me some time this morning to get going. Biking is on the agenda! And it is a cool overcast morning (threatening rain, but not really) and the birds are chirping incessantly this morning!

My Back was pushed to the limits yesterday. I was able to do a neutral grip Lat Pulldown with 180lbs for a set of 8 reps with a friend of mine's help. He helped me pull the bar down as far as possibly (by myself I could only get it down to where my elbow bent - 6 inches?) towards my chest, and then I struggled to eccentrically hold it steady as I let it go back up. On the 8th rep I was almost pulled from my seat, but I pushed down on the leg pad to hold me in place. It was wonderful to feel my back screaming to let the weight go!

Today is Biceps with some Chest put in to keep them stimulated for the week (I have been doing one body part a day, which makes me do the bodypart twice a week, but it is on the two ends of the week, and if I do not take a break day). So I will go really heavy on the Biceps, and then I do some stability ball or Bosu ball stuff with the Chest (push-ups or maybe Pullovers today - that way I can start to work the obliques and serratus anterior for the Side Chest pose and the Oblique pose - warming up to the Physique poses - just in case I have to go into that category for the show).

Does anybody else drink hot water (tea is good also, but it stains the teeth) in the morning to get a BM? Works for me pretty much all the time. Now with that out of the way, I can go for my 2 hour bike ride! See ya later vegan fitness enthusiasts!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:27 pm 
Elephant

Yes I pulled out the bikini today too and laid out for about 20 min :) Jealous about the massage... My back is so neglected

I don't make excuses... I make results

If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next