VeganBeast training log

Create and maintain your own personal online journal. Log your meals and/or workouts, and monitor your progress. Hold yourself accountable and receive support, suggestions, and be open to feedback.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

Gaia
Elephant

Re: VeganBeast training log

#91 Postby Gaia » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:42 am

Last night I had the metabolic thing going where you wake up all geared up and no where to go. I got up, drank some water, let out some water, and got back into bed. My mind was all in sleep mode, but the body was wanting to get up and do cardio, or lift weights, or even yoga. I did a few stretching poses while lying on my back, but then I puffed up my pillow and told myself to go to sleep, and I did!

Fast forward to morning, and now the aches have settled in, and my mind said stretching poses, and my body complained. . argh! Wish they would be in sync ALL the time!

Off for a trail jog again this morning (28 degrees F and no wind), and this time I did the 3 mile loop twice. The question of the morning in my thoughts was: why do I like to run on the frozen gravelly part of the path and not the asphalt? The gravelly part is just as hard as the asphalt since it is frozen, but it still has the crunch of the top layer of stones, while there is nothing on the asphalt but a solid thud as my shoe hits it. How can a little bit of stones cushion my shoe as it thuds on the gravel? Plus on mile 5+, my right foot started to hurt - right under the ball part- so maybe the little frozen ruts from footprints and bicycle tires are affecting my foot (thought it would be my ankle, but maybe at this stage it is the bottom of my feet as the ruts are only centimeters thick). OR it is just the length of time of jogging, as the ball of my right foot usually hurts on mile 4+ when I do the 5 mile loop that has the asphalt at the last 2 miles. Whatever, I had to stop and walk for 10 minutes, and then I finished up the jog without hurt feet (so the pain goes away after a couple of minutes of backing off from the jogging).

Yesterday at the gym was Back and Biceps, doing it in the 5 sets of 25 reps at a weight that is usually my warm up weight. My body is not use to muscular endurance. I cursed as I finished up my 3rd set of assisted pull-ups (I added yoga blocks to the knee pad, so that I could go an extra 3 inches at the top to almost put my elbows right into the side of my waist and squeeze the lats hard), and cried thru the next 2 sets. Thank goodness I had a break from my lats as I was supersetting with dumbbell hammer curls. I would pick a back exercise and superset it with a bicep exercise. I did 4 pairs of those. It was over an hour workout session. I tried not to rest in between too much, but I am use to 5 minute rests between heavy sets. . . I will get faster I hope.

The next day my muscle bellies are not sore, but all of my joints and ligaments/tendons are very sore.

Today's agenda is Chest with Triceps, and then I will have finished up my whole body in just 3 days. I haven't decided to have a rest day (feels funny to rest when my muscles are not sore, but my ligaments are. . .), but I will decide that tomorrow.

Weight still going down: 155.4 lbs. today.

Gaia
Elephant

#92 Postby Gaia » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:54 am

Trail jog yesterday in the morning as the snow was beginning to fly down. Yes, I felt like a snowman by the time I got back in little over half an hour - 3 mile short jog.

Luckily it was a forced day off (after 3 days of lifting with heavy volume, the trainer in me said to back off and recover - and get ready to do another 3 days of lifting with heavy volume and hopefully less rest time in between) as the weather turned into sleet and ice.

Today I headed to the gym to do 30 minutes on the elliptical and 30 minutes fast walking on the treadmill at 3.5 to 4.0 mph - due to the weather still being nasty for trail jogging.

Weigh-in was 155.2 lbs. So a loss of just over 6 lbs this week. My goal was 154.0, and maybe I would have made it if I had a morning BM, but it was a no go this morning. . .

Goal for next Sunday's weigh-in is 150.

Agenda for the gym this afternoon is once again Delts and Legs. Legs are feeling not sore today - even after this morning's cardio session. Front top pecs and parts of the trap are still sore, so Delts may be hindered by those as they are important in stabilizing many Delt exercises.

Gaia
Elephant

#93 Postby Gaia » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:22 am

Delts were not hindered, and they did the 5 sets of 25 reps just fine. And I did Legs pretty easily too - or so I thought because at night they were talking to me as I went to bed. . . mmmm. . I guess doing high volume does some damage to the muscle fibers (building the slow twitch fibers instead of the fast twitch, or red vs. white muscle fibers probably).

Morning cardio was at the gym, as it was 3 degrees F outside. Did the 5K on the elliptical at level 4 (due to doing legs yesterday, otherwise I would put it up to 6 or 8 ) but did not make it at the 30 minute mark (went for 34 minutes instead - I am more of a marked distance type of person than just 30 minutes and that is all the time I will do). Hopped on the treadmill and did another 30 minutes of walking fast at 3.5 mph (swished my arms and worked my core at the same time as walking - and maybe did a couple of dance moves as I was listening to the top EDM songs of 2014).

Weigh-in after morning cardio was 154.8 lbs - so still going down at least - even with my new secret weapon of keeping muscle mass while dieting (the 3AM protein powder with straight hot water drink). I could feel the effect of restriction on food calories and added cardio today - evident by the not making the 5K mark in 30 minutes.

Gaia
Elephant

#94 Postby Gaia » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:25 pm

So far a whole week of morning cardio at the gym. I did sleep in late one day, and was tempted to skip it, but it was a usual winter day that was so cold and grey including even howling wind, that I knew I was going to feel trapped in the house and feel miserable, so I was late getting there by 9 AM, and had to do the dreaded stepper as all the revolutionites were on the treadmills and ellipticals, and the trainer was screaming from the spin bike room indicating he was well into his class.

I finished my week of 5 sets of 25 reps supersets between 2 bodyparts at a workout session. Muscle endurance is not my favorite. Today was just Delts and I blasted them up to a heavy weight (120 lbs for the Smith Rack Military Press with the barbell), but I used all 10lbs plates and then did a drop descending weight set after doing the heaviest set for 6 to 8 reps. I was crying and cursing as the single 10lbs on each side (20lbs plus the weight of the barbell) were burning past rep 10! I had to use my breath to get to 20, and then single push up with a pause at the body (one breath to curse with) and making faces to push it up for the last 5 reps. Sheesh.

Anyways, I got to do my heavy set which I love to push myself to the limit with, and then I did the drop sets to strip the bodyfat off. . hopefully. I prefer to do just morning cardio to jump start my metabolism and get my blood moving thru out the day, measure and be smart about what I put into my body for fuel, and then lift heavy, all the while I magically get ripped as my bodyfat goes down, down, down.

Gave in twice this week so far: 2 pieces of sprouted wheat bread toast with EB butterytaste spread, and a small glass of OJ to wash it down. Gained 2 lbs the next weigh-in, and took me 2 days to work it off. . .ARgh. . working on the will power thing. Bought a bag of romaine with carrot shreds, red cabbage, and radicchio salad to just eat out of the bag. Also straight up popped popcorn with just salt and no oil or EB. . . and big glass of water to help me get thru the night time ( 8 o'clock time really- ate meal #5/dinner at 6, waiting for the 9/10 last protein shake before bed). I am also limiting my amount of sugar pea pods to half or third of a bag at a time, though one day I did polish a whole bag as I was waiting for the rice to get down for dinner. . I used it as my veggie for the meal, I just had the Gardein beefless burger (with two dill pickle sandwich slicers) and the brown rice.

So tired to night. It has been a great week, though I still have one more day to keep working to my Sunday goal of 150, which may be modified to 152 - and will be happy with just a 2 lbs loss for the week. Hiccups now? Yeah. . .

Gaia
Elephant

#95 Postby Gaia » Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:10 pm

Sunday weigh in: 153.4 lbs. Did not reach my goal of 150, that was then modified to even 152, but overall an (almost) 2 lbs loss for the week (155.2 last sunday). It is also the lowest I have been since beginning my quest for lower bodyfat (which can translate into weight loss, and at this stage probably, but later on it could muscle mass loss).

It was nice enough this morning to go out trail jogging! And whoever plowed a 4 ft path on the part of the trail that is 1 mile in length - thank you! I just did 2 loops for a total of 4 miles this morning (as I did Legs yesterday, but not really hard, and they were just a little sore in weird places - I put on a heating pad this morning to warm the sore muscles up and I was good to go - I also have stretch polar fleece compression tights so I was warm and it helped the muscles to be used but not abused - I also put on my bike shorts (being 18 degrees, just below my sanctioned 20 degree mark for jogging outside) and my thighs were not red when I got back home (an hour later)).

Today's agenda was Back and Biceps. I pushed it on the Back, but did the light weight with many reps/5 sets of 25 for the Biceps. I also used the very wide wide bar for the lat pulldowns and concentrated on squeezing my tiny lats right under my underarm. Trying to increase my wingspan, but now that I am restricting my calories I will be surprised if that is possible.

Gaia
Elephant

#96 Postby Gaia » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:32 pm

Wow a whole week has gone by and I haven't posted. Ooops. I guess when I have to go to the gym to do morning cardio (repeat of elliptical for 30 minutes/treadmill walk for 30 minutes) and then just going thru the motions of using my muscles just to maintain, posting my workouts gets pretty boring and I am not much excited about it. Losing the bodyfat is not going as fast as I would like it to - the hunger pains (well really just wanting to eat something fat laden or fried lately) should mean a loss of bodyfat. This is actual bodyfat that I am losing now, and not the easy water weight, so I have to be patient and keep on track. I am obsessing over the smell of my sweat to make sure it doesn't smell like ammonia (using protein as an energy source has ammonia as a by-product that the body gets rid of really fast thru the skin as it is toxic). 2 oz of carrot juice with 2 oz of acai berry juice in the morning before I go out for an hour plus long cardio (low bpm) I hope this helps to switch to using my bodyfat instead of my protein in my muscles to fuel my cardio workout. Thought I smelled a hint of it today as I did 6 miles on my snowy trail run (over an hour long), but it could just be my imagination running away with my obsession.

Gaia
Elephant

#97 Postby Gaia » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:53 pm

Morning jog outside once again (went yesterday morning for 6 miles, while today only 5 miles)! and now it is going to be even warmer tomorrow. . . but I had Delts and Legs on the agenda for the gym and I did up to a heavy weight set, and just a few drop sets. . which still made my muscles scream "No I won't do it!", while the mind kept saying, "21, 22, 23, come on 2 more, 24, come on just one more - and lets make it a full rep!" Now it is over 32 (0 degrees C), and I am going to want to jog on the trail tomorrow. . . I will have to see how my legs are feeling in the morning.

Diet kept in check yesterday and today. . .so far. It is getting easier and easier to not want to eat pasta or bread. I am still eating an apple or frozen blueberries in my cream of rice/buckwheat for breakfast, as my only fruit . . well plus the carrot juice and acai berry juice (combined 4 oz a day - 2 oz in the morning before morning cardio, and 2 oz in my workout water drink). Now if the weight scale will go down - which it has so far after my binge of bread on Wednesday (3 days ago). I also noted that after I binge, the lady in the gym's office always seems to notice as I puff way up and look really full and muscular she says. Bread does seem to make me hold water. When my bodyfat gets low and I look dehydrated, I want to experiment with bread and see if it holds the water in the muscle, or spills over into everywhere else making me look flat/fat.

Gaia
Elephant

#98 Postby Gaia » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:16 am

Nothing interesting in the Back and Bicep routine I did yesterday at the gym, nor the elliptical morning cardio.

I have been keeping my diet in check and still no weight loss. I can't believe I have already reached a plateau on the third week? Has my body adjusted so much so that it is now able to do all my exercising on such a low amount of calories? And really I have been cycling my calories as I seem to binge at least once a week.

I am frustrated over the non weight loss fact, but my abs are getting harder and flatter, so that keeps me happy. I can not believe that working out with medium weights and high volume low weight drop sets are increasing my muscle mass. . . . cause that would be crazy Good!

I really should get body calipers to measure my bodyfat, and then know for sure that it is going down. Right now it is all just observation in the mirror . . . which for a competitive bodybuilder that is all that is really important. . it isn't what the scale says, it is what the mirror says. LOL.

Gaia
Elephant

#99 Postby Gaia » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:20 pm

Morning jog on the snow covered icy plowed last week path of the trail - these past two days, yeah! no gym elliptical/treadmill morning cardio. Looked like a snowman running towards the end of the hour it takes for me to do 2 loops (4 miles). The snow on the ice was thick, so as long as I did not push off hard with my foot I did not slip - kind of did a marching jog though, which to me is alot more work because my stride is so short.

Chest and Triceps yesterday were not happening really. I went thru my warmup weight set, my middle weight set, and did my heavy set for my first 2 superset exercises, but then I got to talking to people (yep, the jaw muscle was getting a workout yesterday - getting caught up with people's stories of their holidays, and even meeting a new person here and there). I tried to do a failure set (which to me is drop the weight and go till failure for 4 sets right in a row - going for the burn, but this time the burn was just not there - just no muscle action - like whatever creatine or ATP was gone and I just pushed it 2 inches and it would stop. No burn.) but I would stop to talk and someone would take over my machine or weight set up/bench.

Delts and Legs today. Going to start out with Leg curls to work my hamstrings first really hard - the quads have been worked alot, and we have a new step mill at the gym that I did yesterday for my 10 minute warmup before I lift weights, and it killed my quads/glutes on minute 7. . so today I will let the quads take a quiet minimal workout.

Forgot to weigh myself before I had my first meal. . weigh the same as yesterday with the meal in me. I don't curse at the scale anymore. . . . I just say "Meh. . . . " in my head now, along with whatever!!!! I am still working it just the same.

Gaia
Elephant

#100 Postby Gaia » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:37 am

The snow is off the trail and with a new pair of shoes I am not going to let a little cold weather stand in my way of jogging this morning. Besides it will be above 20 degrees F by the time I get done - I plan to do a 10 miler today, so 2 hours of jogging (my morning cardio).
I did a half marathon last weekend. It was called The Blarney Stone and it was in Pottersville, MI (south of Lansing - our state capital, and where Michigan State University is located (East Lansing). I ran the whole way (though at times slowly), and it began in a park, went thru some of the subdivisions, back to the park, then across a cornfield and out into the back country dirt roads, with a couple of detours thru the town parks. And it was cold enough that the ground was not muddy, but the sun shone all the time with no wind at all. Lovely in my opinion.
Today's agenda is just Delts. They still are sore in certain places from doing them the last time - plus a hard mattress that is not forgiving when I lay on my side, but will go forward to work all those delt muscles that did recover from last time.
Well, the outside is calling me (the birds are all back, especially the robins and the cranes!). Off I go!

Gaia
Elephant

#101 Postby Gaia » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:59 am

I had the most awesome Back workout yesterday: aka, I am sore! I think it was the Assisted Chin machine that I had not used before in this particular gym. The width of the bar to put my hands/straps on was different than the others, and it tweaked my back in ways I have not encountered before. Very nice. . . more muscles!

So yesterday was Stanley the StepMill/PowerMill time with 30 minutes on level 8 (HR shot up to 160 bpm! within 5 minutes). And even though it is Leg day, I want to just get outside for a quick 5 mile trail jog. There is no snow, but it is below 20 degrees out there right now. . . why can't I just wait for it to reach 30 degrees in an hour and half? What is this urge to go NOW just after I woke up and the sun is shining (the birds have returned too, so there is alot of wooing and cooing going on this morning :) ). My OCD I guess.

Gaia
Elephant

#102 Postby Gaia » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:53 am

Stormy spring weather all this week - would I rather have the snow than all this rain? Maybe. Did Stanley the PowerMill yesterday at the gym while listening to the rain hit the ceiling/roof of the gym very loudly.
Looked over some of my old posts and realized that I am still hanging around 150 lbs mark, and that was back at the end of January. . . . going to have to rethink about losing weight strategies.

Gaia
Elephant

#103 Postby Gaia » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:08 am

I am back on LiveStrong.com for MyPlate to keep track of my calories, and am trying my own personal cycle 2 calorie restriction days/1 day of overload calorie day (Cheat day basically, but with clean foods). This is such a time consuming task when dieting. Oh well, it will keep me focused on what I need to do to get my bodyfat down.

Another bummer note, my feet - pretty much where the foot comes into contact with the ground as I jog, so the ball of my foot and the toes - were starting to hurt to the point where I was going to be inconvenienced with pain WHILE jogging. So I thought about what I could do, and cutting wheat back out of my diet (the sprouted whole grain wheat bread/toast that I was having once or twice a day) was one option and so I applied it to my life. It is the fourth day now, and my feet are starting to get better. I am still jogging and biking as usual, and the only I changed was the wheat from my diet. Don't you just hate when something you love so much turns out to be a source of stimulating your immune system in a bad way, and will know that it is the cause. Argh!!!! And it is not a "I want to have this fresh out of the oven bread (that my hubby likes to make on the weekends for himself and the kids) and will exercise the extra calories off. Extra calories are not the problem. . . .

Today's morning cardio was trail jogging, and I kept the feet on the gravel part today (an extra thing I can do to keep my feet healing - no asphalt today) so it was 6 miles. I was a little sluggish as I had my overload calorie day yesterday (which on a mental note - blue corn tortilla chips are not good for a food that I can have on a clean diet, I bloated up so much that it hurt to sit down and put any pressure on my abdomen). I did not gain any weight from the extra calories yesterday. So now on to calorie restriction day, and hopefully I can lose some bodyfat now that my body is not in baseline metabolism (shutting down due to limited calories ALL the time).

Today at the gym is Delt and Bicep day. I am still doing a warm up weight, and medium weight to prime the movers to fire, and then one or two heavy sets to rip the muscle tissue, followed by 2 sets of light/medium weight to keep ripping the tissue (and get an awesome blood pump going).

I plan to keep a journal of this journey here. Please feel free to jump in and comment.

Gaia
Elephant

#104 Postby Gaia » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:13 am

Woke up from a sound sleep. My body hasn't started to do that metabolic thing where I wake up after only 2 hours of sleep (like I took a long nap) and is ready for action. I do however do not need as much sleep compared to the conventional 8 hours.

Yesterday was suppose to be a calorie restriction day, but it was also Leg day. I was craving more calories last night and was deciding whether to give it some calories or not. I was looking around the kitchen to see if I could come up with some kind of food that would be appropriate. Decided to give it a sweet potato. It is now the next day, and my Legs are not that sore! I think I can do a light jog this morning on the trail without damaging my Legs in their repair process. So that aspect of giving it the extra calories was a good choice. I do not weigh myself till after cardio - which is yet to be done. I probably will not lose any weight yet . . . it will show up on the scale tomorrow, I wish 8) !

Today's agenda bodypart to be worked at the gym is Chest. I am very happy with my chest so far. Still shooting for a focus on the upper pecs (is this usual for a female BBer? I just say BBer, but I will probably be in the Physique category). So inclines will be utilized for Presses and Flyes. And I throw in Barbell Pullovers to work the Serratus with Chest.

Gaia
Elephant

#105 Postby Gaia » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:53 am

Weigh in after cardio (only a 3 mile jog with a 2 mile walk - could feel my Legs starting to complain about how they are still in the repairing process and that the slight discomfort/little pain was my first warning): 152.0 (bf20,ww58). Thus I lost my half pound!

Return to “Online Training Journals & Blogs”