Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Mon May 02, 2016 3:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: jmf's Training Log
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:34 am 
Rabbit

About me: almost 41 years old, been vegan for a little over five years. In the course that time, I've gone from fat and overweight to skinny and soft. My workouts were haunted by lack of energy and persistent pains, aches, and mild injuries. About a year ago, I made some substantial changes to my diet, and my problems seemingly disappeared.

My goal is quite far fetched for natural vegan...I'd like to eventually compete in professional level men's physique class...probably a year or two out. But for the short term, in the spring I'd like to do an local natural show. I have my sights on an early show mid Feb...I'll evaluate whether or not to chase that one at the end of Dec.

My log is going to be a little different that what I see on this site. I log my workouts on paper...and I use them while in the gym, referring to the past 1-2 workouts to force progression. For instance, if I falter on a weight/rep count, then I add a set. When progression on a particular lift slows, I change up the workout.

Me this past weekend. (with my wife, a seven year vegan) I take progress reports once/month, which includes bodyfat and body measurements. My last progress check has me at 191 lbs and 6% bodyfat. My next progress check is in about 1.5 weeks, so I'll post that when it happens.

Attachment:
us.jpg
us.jpg [ 141.98 KiB | Viewed 1094 times ]

Post subject: Re: jmf's Training Log
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:42 am 
Rabbit

My current workout is a 4 day split, no rest days (unless I need it...I've taken one rest day in the past three weeks...overslept)

I'm currently running a slight surplus diet, 40c/30p/30f split at 3000 kcal/day. I try to hit this within 2% every day. I am not refeeding and not doing any cardio.

Yesterday's food:
carbs: 305g (89g sugar)
fat: 104g (26g saturated)
protein 236g

Yesterday's workout...several new exercises for me, so there was emphasis on form and several notes that I'll use for next time:
Attachment:
20151026.jpg
20151026.jpg [ 186.79 KiB | Viewed 1092 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:46 pm 
Manatee

How tall are you?

I'm interested in how you train and will follow you log. Should be a good addition to the logs currently active.

Make no excuses to skip a training session. Feel stressed, sad, sick or tired? Go train. Your friends, your heart, mind and body will lie to you. Telling you that you need that recovery day. Go ahead, stay home. I'll be training that day and getting better no matter what.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:04 pm 
Manatee

awesome! I love your new your new training log! You and your wife look awesome. Excited to follow your posts.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:18 pm 
Rabbit

Eiji wrote:
How tall are you?

I'm interested in how you train and will follow you log. Should be a good addition to the logs currently active.

5'11" Well, I hope so...

kathymtns wrote:
awesome! I love your new your new training log! You and your wife look awesome. Excited to follow your posts.

thanks Kathy...perhaps I can convince my wife to put up a log also.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:36 am 
Rabbit

Yesterday's food:
carbs: 305g (116g sugar, a tad on the high side...thanks mango)
fat: 103g (23g saturated...a bit low)
protein 238g

Yesterday's workout...legs. Pretty vanilla workout. Legs are my best body part, and I find that deep squats bring my quads, hams and glutes to failure all about the same time with just one exercise and not that much weight.

Attachment:
20151028.jpg
20151028.jpg [ 40.64 KiB | Viewed 1059 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:56 am 
Rabbit

Yesterday's food:
carbs: 312g (95g sugar)
fat: 104g (31g saturated)
protein 226g

Yesterday's workout, shoulders:

Attachment:
20151029.jpg
20151029.jpg [ 99.09 KiB | Viewed 1043 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:54 pm 
Manatee

looks like great workouts. Arnold presses are tough. I am doing them tomorrow.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:57 am 
Rabbit

yes Kathy, Arnold presses are awesome...especially nice to the shoulders!

...and here's my log from yesterday:

Yesterday's food:
carbs: 310g (103g sugar)
fat: 103g (31g saturated)
protein 234g

Yesterday's workout, back and biceps:

Attachment:
20151030.jpg
20151030.jpg [ 88.53 KiB | Viewed 1024 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:50 am 
Rabbit

Yesterday's food:
carbs: 320g (110g sugar)
fat: 102g (23g saturated)
protein 228g

Workout logs...my current split is four days, so this is the first entry of a repeating workout, so you can see how I forced progression. This one is a bit strange, since I've in the process of changing it up...working on upper chest development. I concluded during this workout that low-hi cable flies are probably not a good pre-exhaust movement as incline dumbbell flies for incline dumbell press, which is my primary compound movement for chest. So, for next time, I'm putting dumbbell flies first for pre-exhaust, then moving the hi-low cable flies as a higher rep isolation movement after incline dumbell press.

Also, not a fan of using rope for push downs...so I went back to the v-bar.

Attachment:
20151031.jpg
20151031.jpg [ 79.89 KiB | Viewed 1010 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:43 pm 
Manatee

Just curious, is there any evidence showing pre-exhausting a muscles is more effective than just doing the main movement with more weight?

NM I googled it. Not much research done on it. One study showing pre exhausting is no more effective than doing the compound movement first with rest between compound and iso movements. But it's not less effective either so if you like it then it doesn't hurt to do it.

Make no excuses to skip a training session. Feel stressed, sad, sick or tired? Go train. Your friends, your heart, mind and body will lie to you. Telling you that you need that recovery day. Go ahead, stay home. I'll be training that day and getting better no matter what.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:54 pm 
Rabbit

I do it on incline DB press because my triceps fatigue much faster than my chest...so the compound movement is limited by my triceps. Also, if I don't pre-exhaust my chest, I'll end up working with 90s or 100s on incline DB press, which puts my old shoulders at risk of getting tweaked...lol.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:52 pm 
Manatee

Makes sense. How very prudent of you, LOL. I'm of the camp that would risk the possibility of injury to look badass pressing 100# DBs. But my joints haven't felt this good in years. I still think I'm 20 I guess.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:13 pm 
Gorilla

When I trained with the former Mr NI BB champion John Martini as well as when I had phone consultations with Mike Mentzer, both were big on pre exhaustion, actually so was Dorian Yates, he used pre exhaustion on his legs and back all through his pro career.

Arthur Jones the Nautilus inventor and researcher did quite a bit of research into pre exhaustion, he like it so much he even created the iso compound machines. For myself, I'm not a huge fan, John had me use it a lot, but i felt it watered-down the compound movement too much. Now, i prefer to do one or the other, that being said, the method definitely has its place for sure.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:34 am 
Rabbit

Eiji wrote:
Makes sense. How very prudent of you, LOL. I'm of the camp that would risk the possibility of injury to look badass pressing 100# DBs. But my joints haven't felt this good in years. I still think I'm 20 I guess.

yeah, I start my workout at 4:30-4:45 am, so gym is empty, so I don't have any 20 year olds to show up.

As for pre-exhaustion...I traditionally haven't been a fan, but I think it has it's place. If I eventually get my tricep strength up and my shoulders are up for it...I'll definitely drop out the pre-exhaustion.