put clean mass but hips and belly remain dirty

i see a good change on my upper body and on all my legs, cleans without extra fat and good beginning of muscles but why my hips and my belly look like they are still the same? when i touch them i feel the extra fat i dont want to have!

my diet is pretty clean, i use no dried fruits, no nuts no fat things, no oil, no extra sugar. just fruits veggies, meat-substitutes (soja, seitan, tempeh, tofu etc), a LOT of legumes.

i walk at least 2-3 hours no stop a day and make my abs exercises 3times a week, i wouldnt choose to run or make a lot of cardio because i am afraid to burn even the mass of my muscles.

maybe too much carbs? but with the goal of having a good mass i totally need carbs, they generally come from clean sources (oatmeals, rice, spelt, potatoes, bananas etc), take at least 2000 kcal per day, with 120-130 gr of proteins daily.

what is your advice? is it normal to have extra fat and skin on the hips and belly? it will go away with the time? or should i do something?

Your thinking is correct, the number one factor in any fat loss program is / or should be, the maintenance of lean tissue. Indeed, high protein/fat, low carb diets are great for melting the fat, however for many they also lead to loss of the good stuff too. I would advise getting some more good fats in your diet, first and foremost for health reasons, and secondly because they'll help with getting leaner.

Tinker with your macro's intake, reduce your carbs a little, increase your fat little, fat loss is not just as simple as calories in vs calories out. You need to set up the proper hormonal environment, when you get it right everything will just fall into place.

Personally i always combined protein, carbs and a little fat together, secondly i've found intermittent fasting an effective method for fat loss, i aim for one or two 20-24 hr fast's per week. Making these small adjustments helped me shed more than 50lbs of fat in a 20 month period.

This is a very good fat cutting article from Dr Layne Norton http://www.simplyshredded.com/layne-norton-the-most-effective-cutting-diet.html

thank you for the answer

so what kind of fat source you think i should get? i am really into almonds, peanuts, and dried fruits in general, i really love them but sometimes i dont know how much i should take per day. i know that eating fat (like for example peanut butter in the pre-sleeping shake) before to go to bed helps to keep your body working during the night and it gives you the right amount of energy stock. do you agree?

about the intermittent fasting, do you think would not go to destroy the efforts i made during the week and take the energy from the muscles?

how do you deal with it? you make it at the end of the week for example?

Hi Eden,

Personally i use coconut oil for cooking, its a great source of fat that can be readily used for energy, hemp seed oil is also great, it has 25x more omega 3 fatty acids than olive oil, flaxseed oil's another good one. Nut wise, yeah i love home made almond butter and milk, i eat all nuts, but in small dose's (small handful, although i've big hands lol).

With IF (intermittent fasting), no..it will not destroy your efforts, it will enhance them, there's more and more research being done into IF to back it up, i personally believe the reason why we dont hear more about it, is because there's no money to be made from it. I still train sometimes in a fasted state, my strength levels are just as good if not better. A couple of good site's to check out on this is Brad Pillon's 5/2 diet, or Leangains.com.

Hope this helps

Rob

Hi Eden,

Personally i use coconut oil for cooking, its a great source of fat that can be readily used for energy, hemp seed oil is also great, it has 25x more omega 3 fatty acids than olive oil, flaxseed oil's another good one. Nut wise, yeah i love home made almond butter and milk, i eat all nuts, but in small dose's (small handful, although i've big hands lol).

With IF (intermittent fasting), no..it will not destroy your efforts, it will enhance them, there's more and more research being done into IF to back it up, i personally believe the reason why we dont hear more about it, is because there's no money to be made from it. I still train sometimes in a fasted state, my strength levels are just as good if not better. A couple of good site's to check out on this is Brad Pillon's 5/2 diet, or Leangains.com.

Hope this helps

Rob

for omega 3 i use spirulina powder in the shakes.

about IF i am getting curious. could you talk about your experience? when did you start? after how long you had good results?

how do you behave during the fasting day? are the night hours included in the 24 hours of fasting? how much do you drink and what?

by the way about me i am 178cm tall, 77 kg, my waist is 81cm of circumference, and my hips 94cm, neck 38cm

Certainly mate...

Why i began IF?

Id done quite a bit of research into human evolution (just a personally interest), then i seen a very good BBC Horizon documentary about the health benefits of IF, at the time i was had some health issues i knew IF could possibly help manage. As well as that, I'd at that time become de-conditioned after suffering a stroke several year prior, so maintaining lean tissue and dropping fat became my focus.

How i went about it?

I've tried a few different ways, but I've found that the 5/2 approach (2 20-24 hour fasts on alternate days) worked best for me and my lifestyle, i fast on my days off work (for me that's normally Mondays and Thursdays), so my last meal on a Sunday evening is at around 5-6pm, i dont feed again until at least 2-3pm the next day, if my willpower holds out, i'll go the full 24hrs and hold off until 5-6pm. During the fast i just stay well hydrated, i drink just water and maybe a cup or two of green tea.

How do i feel and behave on fasting days?

My energy levels are actually usually higher, am more alert, and its actually nice not having to think about what your going to eat, believe it or not, you began to look forward to fasting days. If my schedule allows for it, i'll train about an hour or two before i feed. After breaking my fast, i do get an minor energy slump for about a half hour, then i get another burst of energy.

The benefits I've experience...

Improved blood pressure (no longer require medication)

Improved Blood sugar reading's (now normal)

Improved Heart beat (I've an irregular heart beat)

Improved cholesterol reading

Improved energy levels

Better recovery from workouts

Lost over 50lbs in the last 20 months (just one or two 15-20 minute H.I.T workouts per week)

Improved bodyfat levels

The benefits for me have been well worth the efforts, fasting works quite simply, when your body isn't having to digest food, your body puts its energy into recovery. The more research i do, the more i believe that we were never mean't to use food as fuel, but rather, for replenishment.

Rob

Hi Eden,

Yes, you should see some results even with just one fast per week, it will take some time, so just be patient, but as the saying goes, good things come to those who weight:)

Eden,

Here's a very good documentary on the human brain, and what happens when its pushing to the limits, in the segment's, watch what happens with the lost cave explorer, whats remarkable, is that this individual went 35 days without eating, whats even more remarkable to me, is that his body didn't start feeding of his muscle until 21 days without food....food for though??

Hi Eden,

Yes, you should see some results even with just one fast per week, it will take some time, so just be patient, but as the saying goes, good things come to those who weight:)

Eden,

Here's a very good documentary on the human brain, and what happens when its pushing to the limits, in the segment's, watch what happens with the lost cave explorer, whats remarkable, is that this individual went 35 days without eating, whats even more remarkable to me, is that his body didn't start feeding of his muscle until 21 days without food....food for though??

thanks rob i enjoyed those videos, but if our body burn muscles only after a long time, why everybody says that those who make weightlifting shouldnt run or make cardio for more than 30 minutes, otherwise it would put to risk our muscle mass?

Hi Eden,

Different numbers have been put out there as to long we should or shouldn't train for, some say no more than 30 mins, some say no more than 45-60 minutes. I personally don't believe you'll burn away your existing muscle training for more than these times, that being said, it remain's a fact that in order to warrant an adaptive response from the body, the stimulus needs to be of a high order, and intensity and duration exist in an inverse ratio, in other words, we can't train intensely for too long.

Like all stimuli, there is a narrow therapeutic window, strength training is no different.

Edited by HIT Rob