training blog

Create and maintain your own personal online journal. Log your meals and/or workouts, and monitor your progress. Hold yourself accountable and receive support, suggestions, and be open to feedback.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

muu
Rabbit

Re: hi & before and after

#16 Postby muu » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:15 am

Push day today
Was able to do 5x5 with 24kg(each arm) flat bench, without having to drop down (last session i did 22kg and had to drop down to 20/18 so its a massive improvement)

also was able to do 5x5 with 20kg on incline press... which really surprised me
did 5x5 with 20kg on shoulders... had to drop to 17.5kg after third set but still big improvement

for now i think im gonna stick with this roughly 80/10/10 diet since it doesnt seem to be hindering anything, ... its really good, because it's basically what i naturally want to eat anyway, except i would usually sometimes use some overt fats in cooking, but i'm cutting that out for now

muu
Rabbit

#17 Postby muu » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:09 pm

i guess this is a training journal now xD

muu
Rabbit

#18 Postby muu » Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:49 am

Might swap to high reps soon.
what do u guys think, is there such a noticable difference between low & high reps? in terms of strength/size gains?
i have been doing the low reps/heaviest possible for about 6 or 7 weeks now (in the gym, was doing stuff at home prior to that), it might be good to swap to high reps for a month or so?

muu
Rabbit

Re: training blog

#19 Postby muu » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:15 am

so now i've started to go into high reps... right now im sort of doing a mixture of low and high reps, low raps on certain things i want to strengthen as a priority.... back exercises, want to improve my pullups so i think that will help
i'm training high reps on chest, shoulders, biceps, triceps now too, and i want to start incorporating a little daily cardio in too just for health... im thinking like, just 20 minutes run each morning

vegan_rossco
Batman

#20 Postby vegan_rossco » Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:39 am

Hey man! High reps, low reps, medium... Doesn't make too much difference imo. As long as you fatigue the muscle it's going to grow (providing you rest and eat enough)
What sort of split are you on? Eg, Monday chest, Wednesday, back etc.
would be cool to see what exercises you use regularly :)
klaatu21 wrote:sensai ross, forgive me for doubting you and myself

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:There's only one thing I'm riding at 6am, and it's not a bike!

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=29098
http://www.facebook.com/ross.d.cosgrove

muu
Rabbit

#21 Postby muu » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:08 am

i don't have it set out per week, but i go every 2nd day, and i cycle between what i focus on, usually ill also try to do some very similar muscles on same day to really demolish it like.. might do cable triceps, then skull crushers or fixed tricep machine or something like that... also often do this just while im waiting for a machine or something
also i have been trying to mix things up... try new stuff, new machines and stuff, so each day i might try some new things

day 1 is pull day
usually somethign along the lines of
pull ups.. i do a couple sets unassisted then i'll do 3-4 more sets with assistance, low reps
fixed pulldown
cable row
curls+ hammer curls
flies
curl machine
frontal shoulder press.. not exactly a pull but w/e

day 2 rest

day 3 push day
dumbbell bench press+incline press.. i would do decline, but my gym hasnt got the best equipment for that.. also read that it's not that necessary
incline press machine also
shoulder press machine... i usually use the machine because it just felt like like a very awkard/injury prone movement with free weights... might be worth trying again now that im stronger
cable tricep pulldown
machine tricep thing

day 4 rest day

day 5 leg day
i haven't been oing free weight stuff like deadlifts and squats... i have an old injury that limits the flexibility in one of my ankles so it makes them much more difficult, would really like to do the, so i might give it another effort soon, for now i have been mainly doing the machines.. i also try to do high reps high sets for these, like 5-10 sets of 15-20 reps
for this i do
ham curls
leg extension
and leg press... usually do more sets of this and first because i think it hits some muscles from both push and pull
and usually some cardio, and sometimes some core on leg day

day 6 rest day

day 7 return to day 1

also i pretty often take like 1 exercise from whatever i did the previous gym day and include that in, then i still have like 4 days rest before i hit them again
i would like to start doing more core stuff on my days off but idk... usually too lazy lol, i bring all the motivation to the gym, harder to do that when i'm at home
if u want to suggest anything i will definately try it

vegan_rossco
Batman

#22 Postby vegan_rossco » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:55 am

Fair enough man, looks pretty good, shame you can't do squats and deadlifts though they are absolutely unreplaceable mass builders!

And yeah I train at home so I know what you mean in terms on motivation... That being said I absolutely despise every gym I've ever been to.. Trainee PTs that think their way is the only way and all the shite music being forced in my ears ahha!

In terms of suggestions, I would consider trying to get some kind of squats in if you can, keep it light and steady, try different stances (personally I love wide stance) try just body weight at first and incorporate Dumbbells and eventually barebell, there's no rush man especially as you've said you have injuries.
All the best dude, give me a shout if you need me, you in the UK??

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:There's only one thing I'm riding at 6am, and it's not a bike!

muu
Rabbit

#23 Postby muu » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:59 am

na im in australia
the injury is well healed now, right now the muscle is just short, so it makes it very hard to get knees past my heels... which makes stuff difficult its not a matter of the amount of weight i can do, but the flexibility, really would like to do them, so might have to put more effort into it... if i recall correctly i can do like, wide stance squats, and deadlifts, but it's a little hard to balance for me

shite music indeed.. but anything is better than nothing lol... will offend someone but i feel some hatred towards people who bring their phones inside lol

i think i've only seen one PT who only shows up like 1/4 times i go there.. they offered me a free pt session with nutritional guidance LOL, i bet alot of the stuff is so routine, recycled stuff

Gaia
Elephant

#24 Postby Gaia » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:23 pm

I am going to chime in and offer some advice on the ankle. Do some calf raises on the leg press. Keep the weight light, and a short range of motion on the calf raises. Go up on the balls of your feet to where it stretches the muscles around the ankle (plus the calf), and then with a rocking type of motion to keep a circular momentum going with the ankle, push down on the heel (the heel has to be off the platform) till a nice stretch is felt there. The calf raises can be done on another machine or just standing on a 4X4 piece of wood (balls of the feet are only on the wood). When I advice light weight, it is because you need to focus on the ankle, and not on the calf.
I do not know if you know what a Bosu Ball is, but doing freestanding squats on that within a range of motion that strengthens the ankles, and the knees, is the next thing I would advice. This should get you ready for a heavy squat below parallel - at least the ankles. . . knees are a different story.

muu
Rabbit

#25 Postby muu » Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:37 pm

believe me, after living with it, i know all the exercises for it... it's the short calf/tendon that causes the inflexibility, so i think the only way to treat it would be to do some intense static stretches several times a day... have tried doing it before, just never been consistent enough with it to see any changes i think

muu
Rabbit

#26 Postby muu » Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:54 am

thinking about lowering my calories... not sure though
i hear people saying you can get cold feet and cut too early when ur gaining weight

thats where i'm at, gained about 10 kilos over the last 4 months, might ease up on the calories or do some cardio or something because i'm not so comfortable being at this bodyfat percentage

idk.. i might ease up on the eating and wait another month or two before i try to lose weight, maybe cut the fat gain in half

vegan_rossco
Batman

#27 Postby vegan_rossco » Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:45 am

muu wrote:thinking about lowering my calories... not sure though
i hear people saying you can get cold feet and cut too early when ur gaining weight

DONT CUT YET!! seriously man it's the worst thing you can do, if you aren't willing to be a little bit uncomfortable for a little while with a bit of body fat then you'll most likely never increase your muscle mass significantly.. Been there, done that.. For years I would put on weight and get cold feet and basically back track wasting months of hard work.

I think when I started lifting I was roughly 70kgs and weak as fuck, whenever I bulked I would hit 80ish Kg and freak out.. (I'm now about 87/90kg at the mo and probably 16% body fat roughly)
It wasn't until I stopped caring about abs that I actually gained significant strength and size so just push through it and cut when you've reached a strength and size milestone.
Just my advice dude, I know how self conscious you can get when you start to get a small gut,
Are you taking creatine? Because some of the weight is likely just water anyway.. Also I would get bloated eating loads more than I was used to and think it was bodyfat.

muu
Rabbit

#28 Postby muu » Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:15 pm

yeah, taking creatine.. i might do it for a few more months, start cutting maybe in october, that would mean i was gaining weight for like 7-8 months and i can start losing some weight for when summer starts

in the meantime i think i might ease up atleast a little bit on the food, still enough to gain weight, but i dont wanna gain another 10 kilos by october lol

muu
Rabbit

#29 Postby muu » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:18 am

Starting studying tomorrow.. the uni has a campus gym so i'm thinking of changing my routine a bit

saturday: regular pull day
monday: regular push day
wednesday: regular leg day

and tuesdays and thursdays are at uni, and i have the campus gym, so im thinking
tuesday: 2nd pull day
thursday: 2nd push day

what u guys think?

vegan_rossco
Batman

#30 Postby vegan_rossco » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:10 am

That's a lot of training dude but it might work for you :) I like that you split your workouts into push, pull and leg, that's how it should be done ;)

Return to “Online Training Journals & Blogs”