BAREfit Rob's Journal

A little background. I am 31 years old. I started training in 2002 at 19 years old. I was 155lbs and skinny. I am currently 5'10 228lbs. I bulked up clean, did a cycle of Superdrol (unhealthy pro-hormone) in 2005, then quit working out (other than random workouts) from late 2006-2009 due to an arthritic chest injury + 80 hour weeks and traveling for work. I've worked in the fitness industry since 2003. I currently own a fitness center management company and a Personal Training Company. I am running a Powerhouse Gym and operating a vegan/sustainable training company called BAREfit Personal Training.

Currently I am addicted to chips and other unhealthy food, I drink too much craft beer, and I'm slave to food addiction. I've been working out pretty steadily again since 2010, but my failure to commit to nutrition has kept me at 25-30% body fat. I have been vegan since 2009, veg since 2008.

My goal is to break the addiction chains, eat a clean 60/20/20 diet, and cut from current 228 weight (@ roughly 28% bf) to 170lbs or 10% BF, whichever comes first.

I have tried and failed many times. I have barret's esophogus (sp) due to longterm GERD and I take PPI drugs daily. I also suffer from eye floaters and some serious back pain from bad posture, and probably the extra weight. Overall I feel like shit and it gives me anxiety about health. Too young to feel old.

The industry I'm in is very stressful, and since working in corp world as a manager from 2005-2010 and then starting my own business 3.5 years ago I have shouldered a lot of stress. It's not good for me. I want to feel good.

I have been running 1-2 miles every other day the past few months, and cardio is getting better.

So that's where I'm at friends. I need a lot of encouragement. I start logging my training tomorrow (01.03.14)

I will be doing the following split:

Monday: Chest/Tricep

Tues: Legs

Wed: cardio

Thurs: Back/Bicep

Fri: cardio

Sat: BAREfit group workout (similar to crossfit training. 45 mins of high intensity interval strength)

Sun: Rest

Hey Rob,

Welcome to the forum community here. Sounds like you were dealt some tough hands, but its important for your progress that you don't use them as excuses. Any injuries or health problems should not give you a pass to eat junk food, and that sounds like that's your biggest struggle.

Best advice, don't keep it around, and keep lots of healthy snacks around you. If you pack fruits and veggies and have them on hand you'll be much less likely to feel the need to seek out the chips.

GL,

-Dylan

Did a quick bench workout tonight. Felt really weak like I'm possibly getting sick. Stomach virus going around. Assuming I'm not sick tomorrow is back day.

BB Bench

135 x 10

185x 8

205 x 5

185 x 5

135 x 10

That's it. Wasn't feeling it. Thanks Dylan for the feedback. I need to push and encouragement.

• 2 weeks later...

Lost track of logging for a couple of days, but I had good workout days last week. Did back and legs and cardio days.

Today I did chest, triceps, and hit some shoulders.

Weighed in this morning @ 226

01.14.14 Chest/Triceps/Shoulders

BB Bench

warmup: 135 x 10

185 x 1

205 x 3

185 x 8

185 x 8

185 x 7

Incline Bench

65's x 8

65's x 8

65's x 8

DB Lateral Raises

25's x 8

25's x 8

25's x 8

DB Skull Crushers

25's x 8

25's x 8

25's x 8

Cable Rope Pressdowns

*number indicates stack number

7 x 10

7 x 10

7 x 10

Felt good all day. Energy level was good. I usually feel like crap in the daytime. I am caffeine sensitive but today 2 shots of espresso was just the thing to get me going.

Started day off with green smoothie: 1 cup of organic spinach, 1.5 organic bananas, 1 cup of organic blueberries/strawberries, 1 tbsn chia seeds, 1 tbsn almond butter, and reverse osmosis water.

Also ate Dr. McDougall split pea soup, cous cous. Overall did well today. No food after 8pm.

My shortterm goal is 215lb by the end of the month.

01.15.14 Back/Biceps

Assisted Wide Pullups

10 reps with 112lbs assist

8 reps with 82lbs assist

3 reps with 58lbs assist

6 reps with 70lbs assist

8 reps with 82lbs assist

8 reps with 82lbs assist

Lat Pulldowns w/ this attachment: http://images.monstermarketplace.com/exercise-equipment-and-weight-lifting-gear/revolving-bent-d-lat-pulldown-bar-with-urethane-handles-gp-us-blp-450x306.jpg

8 reps @ 10 stack

8 reps @ 10 stack

5 reps @ 12 stack

Barbell Rows

135 x 5

135 x 4

Deadlifts

It's been years since I've deadlifted. My alltime max was 515. Pretty sure that's how I messed up my sternum/clavicle in 06 so I'm just being safe.

135 x 8

135 x 10

135 x 10

That felt good

T-Bar Rows

slow, controlled, isolation reps. Going for pump and form.

2 plates x 8

2 plates x 10

1 plates x 10

3 sets of tire flips w/ 195 tire. 60ft down and back, down and back, and down.

Sweating like I drank a pint of whiskey last night...

DB Hammer Curls

45's x 5

45's x 5

45's x 5

Slow Rep DB Curls

30's x 8

30's x 8

30's x 8

Did some burnout iso sets with 15's and 20's to burn out biceps.

Great workout. Had a little plate of Indian food before workout... not a good choice. Almost barfed on the tire flips.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Hey friends, life got hectic. Going to try to stay on top of this journal! Thanks for support.

Currently I'm 218, about 23-26% BF. Looking big and strong. Got really serious about cutting again as of 2 weeks ago. My goal is 12-15% body fat at 175-185lbs. That puts me losing about 30lbs of fat. I'm going at 2lbs per week so ETA 15 weeks eta early October.

06.06.14 - Back

A lot of my workouts are done in rounds... i.e. superset 3-6 exercises in a row for reps or time with no rest. Finish all exercises = 1 round. Rest 1-2 mins then repeat. That's how this workout went.

Station 1: BB Rows w/ 75lbs x 10 reps

Station 2: Good Mornings w/ 75lbs x 15 reps

Station 3: Tire Flip w/ 200lb tractor tire x 40 ft. down & back

Complete 3 sets

REST

Station 1: KB swings w/ 40lbs

Station 2: Prowler Rope Pulls w/ 75lbs loaded on

Station 3: Planks (on hands) for 2 sets of 45 secs

Completed 3 sets

DB Curls: 3 sets of 8-10 w/ 30lbs

DB Curls: Burnout drop sets w/ 25, 20, 15 x 10ish

----

Great Workout. Also hit chest and shoulders earlier this week + ran 1.5 mile and did 20 mins on stair climber throughout week. Overall it's been a good week. Today I'm doing some legs.

06.11.14 - Back

Haven't done deadlifts in a long time due to worry about sterno-clavical injury from 04-05. I'm just going to start going them

warmup: 135 x 10

set 1: 185 x 8

set 2: 235 x 5

sets 3: 255 x 2

set 4: 185 x 8

set 5: 185 x 8

assisted pullup

10 w/ 106lbs asst (15lbs)

5 w/ 76lbs asst (146lbs)

3 w/ 40lbs asst (180lbs)

5 w/ 64lbs asst (156lbs)

8 w/ 64lbs asst (156lbs)

8 w/ 64lbs asst (156lbs)

6 w/ 64lbs asst (156lbs)

T-Bar Rows

set 1: 95 x 8

set 2: 95 x 8

set 3: 95 x

Bent Over BB Rows

set 1: 95 x 8

set 2: 95 x 8

set 3: 95 x 8

Bicep Curls

set 1: 35's x 6

set 2: 35's x 6

set 3: 35's x 6

• 2 months later...

09.09.14 - Chest & Triceps

DB Bench

warmup: 35's x 15

set 1: 55's x 10

set 2: 75's x 8

set 3: 75's x 8

Floor BB Presses (Focus on Triceps)

set 1: 165 x 8

set 2: 165 x 8

set 3: 165 x 8

set 4: 135 x 8

Hammer Strength Incline Press

set 1: 140 x 8

set 2: 140 x 6

DB Fly

set 1: 40's x 8

set 2: 40's x 8

set 3: 40's x 8

Cable Tri Pressdown

3 sets of 8 followed by dropdown sets to failure

Didn't look @ weight but 3/4 for stack

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Been away for a while. Starting back. Little background in a nutshell:

- I'm 32 (will be 33 in Aug 2015)

- Starting working out in Jan 2003 @ age 21.

- Started managing gyms in mid-20's, spend most of my 20's working out on and off, ranging from really dedicated to taking over a year off.

- Main issue was chest injury + extremely long hours working in gyms.

- Went veg in 2008, started working in consulting, and started my own personal training company 2 years ago.

- Been serious about lifting again past 2 years, but recently been out of it for 2 months due to bad habits, lack of discipline, and some seasonal sickness.

Reason For Journal: I need accountability. I need to want this as bad as a drowning man want's oxygen. I need advice, support, and I need to catch the bug again... I used to frequent these boards, and be a part of this culture, but I've just fallen off.

I really hope I can find a few of you that take interest in what I'm doing, and use this journal as a tool to get back in the game.

Currently: I'm 5,10, 225lbs, probably 30% BF, in bad cardio shape, still packing some muscle from when I was lifting seriously, but not incredibly strong right now either. Arms are 17.25, waist is 40, and I need to do the rest of my measurements.

When I started lifting I was 155lbs. I became obsessed with getting big, and thus got to the weight I'm at today.

I want use bodybuilding and the style of training my gym practices, http://www.barefitpt.com, to get lean, functional, and into the kind of shape that outdoor, adventure athletes are going for.

I will post workouts, and nutrition logs. I am going to do:

Mon: Quads

Tues: Upper Back/Biceps

Wed: Obstacle Training

Thurs: Chest/Triceps

Fri: Lower Back/Hamstrings

Sat: Rest or sports (basketball, climbing, etc.)

Sun: Rest or sports (basketball, climbing, etc).

Nutrition is 60/20/20 (complex carbs, protein, fats) plant-based diet.

meal plan M-F will look something like this:

Breakfast: oatmeal, earth balance, few drops maple syrup

Morning Snack: green smoothie

Lunch: salad + chia seed + beyond meat vegan chicken

Snack: Sun Warrior protein shake

Dinner: brown rice, veg, legumes

Snack: scoop almond butter

Goal: Lose 3% BF per month. Cut from 30% down to 10% in 7 months. I will be a lean, fit 10% BF, in the best shape of my life on my 33rd birthday.

Short-Term: Drop 4% (down to 26%) by 01.31.15

Hope to get some good convos rolling. And I plan to check in on some other journals as well.

Edited by barefit rob

Yesterday got crazy with my business, and unfortunately I was unable to train. However, today I got started on my bounce back. This was my first real workout in 6-8 weeks, and it showed.

My goals right now are to wake up some muscle memory, get back into the ritual of training 5 days per week, and begin to chop off the body fat I've gained while maintaining muscle.

Estimated PR's now would be.

BB Bench: 245

Squat: 245-275

Deadlift: 225-250

So a little over half what I used to lift. With that said I am no longer training for max out and power, and I am more concerned about becoming the best performance athlete I can at this stage of life and beyond. I picture myself as a lean, ripped guy in his 40's, still playing basketball, rock climbing, and being extremely active. To get into that shape I have a long way to go.

Measurements cold last night were: 42 inch waist, 17.25 arms, 48 inch chest, 16 inch calf, 24.5 quads.

On to today's WORKout:

Quads & Shoulders

Superset #1: BB Squats + BB Standing Military Press

Warmup: 75 x 8 + 65 x 8

Set 1: 135 x 8 + 85 x 8

Set 2: 135 x 8 + 85 x 8

Set 3: 135 x 8 + 85 x 8

Superset #2: Prowler Push (on rubber making it hard as sin) + 18lb Sledge Hammer Overhead (hitting big ass tire)

Set 1: 90lbs (+prowler) x 20 yards + 12 sledges

Set 2: 35lbs (+prowler) x 20 yards + 12 sledges

Set 3: Same as set 2

Superset #3: Plate-Loaded Leg Press + DB Arnold Presses

Set 1: 4 plates x 12 + 40's x 10

Set 2: Same

Set 3: Same

3 sets of DB Lateral Raises: 20's x 10

The supersetting and very little rest had me warn out. Heart rate was high throughout, and I'm just really, really out of shape.

But everything felt great, even with light weight.

Nutrition screenshot below. My goal is to stay beneath 1,700 calories daily, and consume between 50/25/25 and 60/20/20 (carbs, protein, fat)

Hope to begin chatting with some of you guys in here. Have a great night.

• 2 weeks later...