Rossco's meet prep/powerlifting journal

Hey everyone, first off, big apology from me for being completely off the radar for so long! Have missed chatting to everyone here with a few in particular!

I've made some huge changes to my life recently and I'm hoping I'll still be welcome here and have your support...

Fairly recently I started reacting really badly to soy and other legumes, even a can of baked beans was uh... Let's just say not going through me properly... Lol..

I had to make the really difficult decision to go back to eating dairy and eggs, at least for now. I don't expect anyone to accept this but please understand that it was a decision that I may for myself.

Not just through dietary needs but also financially it started to make more sense for me to eat dairy and eggs again due to living with my girlfriend etc.

At work I've moved departments to a more social part of the store that will allow me to train more frequently! And as such I've changed my training to suit strength gains! I've gone back to 5x5 to train as a power lifter, and also incorpirated sets to failure to gain a little size.

Anywho, I hope I'm still welcome aboard the forum.. I've made big contributions to the forum for years now and hope this doesn't see me shunned..

Ps. I'm starting my log from scratch! Right here!

Edited by vegan_rossco

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First training log since my comeback! Here goes!

Current bests (1 rep max)

Squat - 130kg / 286lbs

Bench - 80Kg / 176lbs

Deadlift - 175Kg / 385lbs

My goal is to get back to these numbers by the end of the summer and to reach new PBs by the end of the year!

Today's training:

Squat 62.5Kg

X 5 reps

X 5 reps

X 5 reps

X 5 reps

X 5 reps

Deadlift 97.5Kg

X 5 reps

Barbell rows to failure, 60Kg

X ...lost count

Aussie pull ups x 30 reps

Barbell bicep curls

25Kg x 19 reps

Shrugs 30Kg

X ,.lost count

Bout friggen time your were back lol....missed ya!

Fair play to ya with your decision's on bringing some eggs and dairy back into your diet, as ya know i did the same a few months back and its improved my health makers as well as improved my natural hgh's:)

Like the training, are ya back at the gym or still training at home mate?

Best

Rob

Yeah it's been a difficult decision to make but I'm starting to feel more comfortable about it!

If it was difficult because of morals, you can consider buying organic milk (or at least where they let the cows graze) and free range eggs, the treatment for the animals is substantially better in my opinion.

The prodigal son returns! lol I won't make you feel terrible about returning to eggs/dairy, as I'm sure you know full well the attendant costs and ramifications of both the perpetuation of those industries, along with the health detriments. I'll just let it be, man. Glad to see you back and training again buddy. I think I'm going to pick up a day or two of 5x5 each week. Might be nice to see how those gains progress. Talk to you soon mate!

Yeah it's been a difficult decision to make but I'm starting to feel more comfortable about it!

If it was difficult because of morals, you can consider buying organic milk (or at least where they let the cows graze) and free range eggs, the treatment for the animals is substantially better in my opinion.

Organic isn't necessarily more ethical.. In most cases it's a lot less...

I studied animal care, management and welfare for 2 years and through experience I learnt that animals that are considered organically raised aren't allowed medicine when they are sick for example..

Obviously I would only buy free ranged, battery hens are illegal in the uk anyway.

All eggs and dairy I'm consuming are local on the Isle of Wight which means no factory farms and no mass production, just homely well cared for farms.

I'm starting to see through so much propaganda,most of which is made up crap from Peta..

Bout friggen time your were back lol....missed ya!

Fair play to ya with your decision's on bringing some eggs and dairy back into your diet, as ya know i did the same a few months back and its improved my health makers as well as improved my natural hgh's:)

Like the training, are ya back at the gym or still training at home mate?

Best

Rob

Hey mannn yeah I don't feel much different to be honest. Just more regular in the bathroom... I never felt different when I turned vegan either.. I think food is food, as long as you aren't eating processed stuff too often then you're pretty much fine haha,

I genuinely never believed that animal products gave you diseases.. As I said in my other post a lot of vegans I know just believe what suits them without looking into things.

Strong lifts time!

Squat 65 Kg

X 5 reps

X 5 reps

X 5 reps

X 5 reps

X 5 reps

Bench press

57.5Kg

X 5 reps

X 5 reps

X 5 reps

X 5 reps

X 5 reps

Incline dumbbell bench to failure

17.5Kg x roughly 24 reps but I lost count around 18 or so

Tricep extensions

17.5Kg x ..lost count, did them super slow too.

Ab crunches, lost count again..

No shoulder exercise! Had stuff to do!

Having a few days rest now, am planning on sparring and practicing mixed martial arts with some friends tomorrow night! Hoping DOMS doesn't affect me too much...

Organic isn't necessarily more ethical.. In most cases it's a lot less...

I studied animal care, management and welfare for 2 years and through experience I learnt that animals that are considered organically raised aren't allowed medicine when they are sick for example..

Obviously I would only buy free ranged, battery hens are illegal in the uk anyway.

All eggs and dairy I'm consuming are local on the Isle of Wight which means no factory farms and no mass production, just homely well cared for farms.

I'm starting to see through so much propaganda,most of which is made up crap from Peta..

Well, organic is more ethical where I live (I actually went to the farm and check).

Anyway, I think local milk & eggs is a great option, and I wish you good luck with the lifts

Thanks sidereus! I like your journal btw!

Hey Mike, missed you duuuude, yeah summers been great so far! Super hot on my little isle! How about you dude?

Currently preparing for a quick Deadlift session, my squat rack needs fixing.. It's wonkier than holy hell!! And I don't fancy it collapsing on me. So no squats today!

It's hot here too man, hotter than I can ever remember it being... Have had the fan on all night for the past week haha. Yeah things are good thanks man, enjoying my new department at work, I'm at right now at 5:30am to head in, but will finish by 12pm how are things your side of the water? Job okay?

I forgot to update yesterday so here it is

Squat rack seems fixed..

Squats

67.5Kg x 5 reps

X 5 reps

X 5 reps

X 5 reps

X 5 reps

Bench press

60Kg

X 5 reps

X 5 reps

X 5 reps

X 5 reps

X 5 reps

Did a few different exercises to failure but didn't count any reps!

I'm looking forward to hitting some big squat and bench numbers soon! It's all so easy right now...

Hahaha oh my god that is the sweetest thing ever! And clearly been skipping leg days Loll how are you guys doing??

Haven't trained today when I had planned to.. Got a semi promotion at work, same amount of pay but bigger responsibilities and stuff, I literally got it because of my guns.... It's essentially a lot of loading and moving heavy shit haha

Only problem is that along with the tiredness of early mornings it's now physically demanding too so il see how training goes...

Trained after work today and it was beautiful!!

I wanted to hit deadlifts hard again so I scaled down the number of squat sets a little bit!

Squats 70Kg

X 5 reps

X 5 reps

X 5 reps

Deadlifts!

105Kg x 5 reps

Went for a few sets of heavy singles!

125Kg / 275lbs x 1 rep

135Kg / 297lbs x 1 rep

145Kg / 319lbs x 1 rep

It's been a while since I've pulled anything more than 130Kg so I'm happy, I can really feel me getting back to 175Kg within the next couple of months, will have to buy new weight plates though as I've lost 10kgs worth during the move

Finished up with some shoulder pressing, pull ups and shrugs

Squat and bench 5x5!

Squat 72.5Kg

5 x 5 no issues whatsoever, managed to do all of them pretty quick too

Bench press 62.5Kg

5 x 5 during my third set It started to feel a little heavy.. No idea why but got through all 5 sets easy enough.

Finished up with dumbbell flys to failure and tricep dips to failure!

Nothing really to add, just gonna take a few days off!