The Foonz Journey

Probably not the best week for a journal entry as it is deload week for me and my training partner has taken the week off due to a relationship issue.

Currently I'm doing a 3 day split chest & triceps, back & biceps, legs & shoulders. We are currently doing progressive overload each week for 5 weeks then the 6th week is deload.

I have made some good strength increases for flat benching 30kg (working sets) to now 60kg (working sets). My goal is to bench my own weight and deadliff 100kg by the end of the year. currently doing working sets of 75kg dead lifts while weighing 81kg.

I plan to take progress pictures each week and may post them if I feel comfortable as I am currently not happy with my fat gut and man boobs. I train hard but didn't watch my diet until now.

This deload week has been a flop. I didn't do any training other then my deload Monday of chest and triceps. Tomorrow we start back and my training partner should be there too. I will post details on our routine and weight used.

Food wise this has been my first week of being a vegan. Both my wife and I went cold turkey and dropped animal products over night. I haven't had really any struggles and have found I'm more excited about cooking and eating which is something I have never been. I will post a daily meal intake later tonight and see if you guys can give me advice and other meal ideas .

Monday 21/7 - first heavy workout as a vegan. Very surprised with how it went. Benching 60kg again felt super heavy and was struggling to get the final rep up for every set. Actually failed on close grip bench one set and final exercise was tricep push downs which I failed every set.

Is it normal when changing to a vegan diet to lose power? Energy wise I felt great could have kept going but power and strength felt less and had a much bigger pump then I used to...is this normal?

Hi Foonz,

I would doubt very much the slow down in progress is diet related, glycogen is what powers high intensity muscular contractions, and there is an unlimited supply of that on a vegan diet. That being said, are you consuming fewer calories?

I would say your slow down in progress is due to overtraining, yes overtraining:)

Here's something the 99.9% of all trainees and trainers fail to realize, or just plain ignore....they allow for localized recovery, but do not allow for full systemic recovery (which takes considerable longer). Whether its an intense set of bench press, rows, squats, leg presses, bicep curls etc, it all effects the entire physical system. Moreover, As the trainee grow's bigger and stronger, their energy output also increases proportionality, and the greater the energy output - the longer it takes these energy reserves to replenish.

So what am saying is, a fixed frequency program is doomed from the get go, it does not take into consideration the simple biological law mentioned above, that as you train progressively more intensely (which is the only way your body will produce new muscle), there must be a corresponding adjustment made to the frequency and/or volume of your training.

So were training 3 times per week may have been working well for you, it now may be too much, you've become stronger, therefore your energy output is greater and you now require a longer recovery period between workouts, so rather than performing your 3 workouts over a 7 day period, i should perform the 3 workouts over a 9-10 day period, this should allow for progress to resume.

Hope this helps

Rob

Makes sense HIT Rob, I think you hit it on the head with calorie deficit. I am happy with that though because I need to cut my belly fat big time. I will continue to to push as hard as I can and lose weight. Once I get to a good starting frame I will begin my slow bulk.

Wednesday 23/7: Just woken up and ready for work. Feeling pretty tired today, not sure if that is due to lack of sleep from cold weather. Didn't feel like my morning smoothie today but I have some left overs from last nights dinner vegie crumbed burger on a burger bun with spinach mayo and beetroot for lunch today. Also got some baked beans for a snack along with 2 apples and an orange. When I get home ill smash a banana before training then post workout rice protein and almond milk shake. Haven't decided on dinner with my wife yet but post that I will have a smoothie containing broccoli, kale, tomato, almond milk, banana, mixed berries, goji berries and flax seed oil.

Please leave some feed back on my diet what I may be missing, this is a general day keep in mind im cutting fat at the moment.

Thanks in advance!!!

Veggie burger, baked beans, couple apples, orange, dinner, and a smoothie. Are you sure you're eating enough? I cut calories for a very long time, like two years at 1600-1800 cals per day. Yeah, I lost 96lbs, but at the same time, I probably would have retained more muscle if I had stuck to an even 2000 calories. 1800 to 2000 isn't that bad, but a 400 cal difference was like an entire extra meal for me back then. I do raw vegan, 80/10/10 during the day, and then steamed veggies for dinner, all week.

If anything, I'd say add more greens. Greens, greens, greens. I don't really buy into the whole protein powder stuff. Works for some though, I suppose. Always just tore me up inside.

Thanks heaps esqinchi! Going from a meat diet to vegan over night I honestly have no idea what my caloric intake is anymore. I eat a lot more regularly as a vegan and feel like I eat more food but there is less calories in healthy food. So more spinach, kale & broccoli you think? I did miss breaky today but normally I have an english muffin with vegan butter and vegemite as well.

So after a sluggish day at work my energy felt low. I smashed a banana filled up my bottle with bcaa and hit the gym.

Pull ups felt strong 4 sets of 5 reps wide grip.

Deadlifts felt strong but had a struggle with my hamstrings. I'm trying to do sumo stance because I have found my lower back doesnt hurt (I'm a bit short lol). Comepleted 4 sets 5 reps 70kg.

Bent over rows felt good 4 sets 6 reps 35kg.

Finished back with lat pull downs 3 sets 12 reps 40kg.

Biceps started with hammer stall curls 3 sets 8 reps per hand 7.5kg per hand.

Finished of biceps with 2 sets of 21s at 12.5kg. After that my biceps were on fire and felt good.

Today I was a lot more mentally focused and wanting to prove to myself I still had strength. This forum is great to motivate myself and continue my vegan journey.

Today has been a turn for the worst! I spent all last night in terrible pain, then it finally happened. I woke up for work and vomited everywhere. I must have a case of food poisoning, still in agony now at it 2:20pm. I think left over schnitzel heated up may be the reason. Has anyone had this issue before?