jack's vegan bodybuilding bulk log

http://vegan-bodybuilding-venture.tumblr.com/

Hey, i have been a gym rat for quite some time now as a ovo vegeterian, but i have recently read Roberts book and have begun vegan bodybuilding. I have put together a diet myself using a food budget of 25 pounds a week. I would like some feedback please. I will be keeping a log of my workouts, and any alterations to my diet. My current weight is 163 pounds and approx 20% bodyfat. i aim to gain 5 pounds a month up until new years when i will reassess my goals.

here is my first attempt at a bulk nutrition programme:

100g oats, 200g alpro soy yogurt, 200ml vegan milk, agave, water 400ml

4xwholemeal slices, 100g peanut butter, 400ml water, fruit

wholemeal tortillas, 160g refreied beans, half avocado, 400ml water

75g humus, tortilla chips, fruit, 400ml water or protein shake (hemp)

protein shake (tsp wheat grass, 10g broccoli powder, 30g pea+ rice, 5g glutamine)

50g lentils, 100g quinoa, 100g broccoli, hemp oil, nutritional yeast, hemp protein, fruit, 400ml water

pre-workout: one cup strong organic coffee

FATS 116.6 CARBS 500.1 PROTEIN 200 KCAL 3334

remember to drink lots of water, because your insides are a swampy bog and a water shortage would affect the local frog population

tumblr_nc1x6juFgR1sr86i2o1_500.jpg.dd8a276ab66ef6089aed8ef7fae03930.jpg

Edited by jacklebodybuilder

That's a ton of food man, I think you'll put on some pounds (kilos?) easily if you are putting up equally big numbers. Are you sure your fats are that low given the refried beans, grape seed extract, avocado, and peanut butter? 100g of unsalted peanut butter, per calorieking.com has 50.4g fat (and 588 calories). Wouldn't fat intake be your main issue to watch over while bulking, as opposed to total caloric intake?

Best of luck to you man in getting huge.

That's a ton of food man, I think you'll put on some pounds (kilos?) easily if you are putting up equally big numbers. Are you sure your fats are that low given the refried beans, grape seed extract, avocado, and peanut butter? 100g of unsalted peanut butter, per calorieking.com has 50.4g fat (and 588 calories). Wouldn't fat intake be your main issue to watch over while bulking, as opposed to total caloric intake?

Best of luck to you man in getting huge.

im only using 250mg of grapeseed extract so i dont think there will be much fat in it, and my refried beans only have 0.4 g of fate per 100gs. When looking through Robert's book and suggested nutrition programs, he says to have a high intake of fats as 'the consumption of essential fat helps burn and speed up metabolism making fat burning more effecient'. He admits he's not a nutritionist though, so is this wrong?

For next week i've altred my meal plan as im getting pretty sick of refreid beans and humus. And i've made it to slightly reduce carbs and fat, and also increase my vegetable and nutrient intake.

100g oats, 200g alpro soy yogurt, 200ml vegan milk, agave, juice (wheat grass, pineapple, grape seed extract)

4xwholemeal slices, 100g peanut butter, 400ml water (or protien shake)

210g tofu, 420g stir fry vegetables

100g raw lentil & Bean sprouts, 400ml water

trek protein bar, protein shake (tsp wheat grass, 10g broccoli powder, 30g pea+ rice, 5g glutamine)

50g lentils, 100g quinoa, 100g broccoli, nutritional yeast, hemp protein, kale and broccoli juice (i use the left over stems)

just completed a HIIT session. it was as follows:

slow ten minute jog for warm then some quick stretching

then i did this x6

80m sprint (as fast as i could manage)

80m slow jog back

30 seconds skipping rope

I plan on increasing this to x10 by adding 2 extra of everything a week, then i might start adding some hills. what kind of HIIT training has anyone else used, and is this a decent session? would you make any alterations?

Well I wrote a response, and again the site crashed when I hit send...

Anyhow, short version:

1. Diet - Robert knows what he's talking about. Listen to him.

2. HIIT is awesome. I do it all the time (recently almost exclusively from the Insanity DVDs).

3. The above session is pretty good man, but I would add more variety of moves, so you can train more muscle groups than just legs; but yeah, jump rope is full body. Maybe pick 9 different exercises you can do for time, do them in giant sets (3 in a row) for a minute each, and rest for a minute between each set? Have you done the Insanity dvds? They are fun, ass kicking, and possibly a little too hard on the body - but you can go at your own pace, and pause when necessary. I might be a little older than you, and I think they are a bit hard on my knees.

Back and Bicep Workout:

pre workout: 500ml death wish organic coffee and a shake with maca and spirulina

Bent over rows: warm up set, 10x45kg, 10x45kg, 10x45kg

Close grip lat pull downs: warm up set, 10x49kg, 10x49kg, 10x49kg (drop set)

seated row: 10x20kg, 10x20kg, 10x20kg (drop set)

seated bicep curl: 10x12kg, 10x12kg, 10x12kg (drop set)

post workout: cliff bar, pea+ rice protein shake and 5g glutamine

New meal plan, adding an extra two meals on rest days and three extra on days I train. as I lost weight under previous meal plan.

meal 1- 200gsoy yogurt, 100goats, 200mlsoy milk, 200mlpineapple juice, multivitamin

meal 2- cliff bar, maca(only on training days), water

meal 3- 4 slices of wholemeal toast, 100g peanut butter, hemp protein shake

meal 4- pea and brown rice protein, 5g glutamine (TRAINING DAYS ONLY)

meal 5- 200g stir fry vegetables, 50g white rice, 100g tofu, water

meal 6- 200g stir fry vegetables, 50g white rice, 100g tofu, hemp protein shake

meal 7 - 200g broccoli, 100g quinoa, hemp or coconut oil, juice(kale, broccoli, apple, ginger, lettuce)

meal 8- 100g bean and lentil sprouts

going to see how I manage this and how my body reacts in another two weeks and might double white rice I intake.

Cool thank you, definetly going to add some burpees and abs exercises. Also i looked for the insanity dvd, and wow its expensive might save up and give it a try in the future.

You can find full vids from the dvds here:

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMjgzMTMzMjcy.html Well, that's one of them, at least.

Chris you fucking legend!! Gonna do some of those next week I reckon

Yo jack, it's cool to see your journal bro, where are you from?

You should try throwing in some deadlifts and squats into your training, huge mass gainers!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

so, i've been out for a while. The nutrition i was previously eating resulted in really bad digestion and sickness. My diet was extremely dense in protein, a lot of soy, fats and processed carbs. My body started reacting extreely adversly to the amounts of soy i was eating. Heres an example of what i was eating:

breakfast- 100g oats, soy yogurt, soy protein powder scoop

snack- 4 slices wholewheatbread and 100g peanut butter

lunch- two tortillas and a can of refreid beans and a big chunck of tofu

snack- protein shake, glutamine, and two cliff bars

dinner- loads of quInoa, brocolii and pea protein shake

And man did i feel sick, and i was starting to get fat! Wish i'd listened to what some of you had said. Then to top it of i injured my kneck (partly due to moving house and sleeping in a unfamiliar bed), and started a new full time job, at which point i lost all motivation and didn't train for a month.

A month forward and i was depressed and feeling like i was lacking any purpose in my life. I really hated my job working in a womans wear retail department. So i decided to retrain as a sports coach, which is what im studying now (:

I've been reading a lot books about nutrition, for example 'the thrive diet by Brendan Brazier' and 'whole by dr collin campbel' to get a better grip on what and how i should be eating.

with the knowledge from these books i decided would make a second attempt at putting on some muscle mass, this time using a whole foods diet, and a upper lowerbody split routine incorperating more calesthenics, and some HIIT. Frank Medrano has been a big inspiration for me as of late.

When i started this new diet after a couple of weeks i was experiencing really bad acne, it was as if my skin was purging. Now my skin is clear and smooth and i feel fantastic. Another blip i came across with my diet was really poor sleep qaulity, which was bad considering thats when your body regenerates and strengthens. I was only getting 5 or 6 hours a night. Then I started to supplement with methylcobalamin, and wow i'm sleeping like a baby.

I try to follow bredan braziers principles of eating one salald and a wholefoods smoothie everyday. Here's a typical day of eating now:

Meal 1-

green fruit protein smoothie

4g creapure

Meal 2-

bowl of oats with organic soy milk

vitamin or preworkout drink

Meal 3-

large green salad

rice protein drink

Meal 4-

whole foods energy bar

pea protein and spirulina drink

Meal 5-

two buckwheat and rice crackers

tablespoon of peanut butter

green kale smoothie

Meal 6-

two sweet potatoes

100g lentil curry

spinach

(if i get exra hungry ill usually just make another smoothie)

I try to mix up my dinners everyweek, sometimes ill have

-organic tofu in miso soup (my body is okay with smaller amouts of soy)

-mashed organic potatos, veggies and seitan saussages

-homemade spicy black bean burgers and loads of spinach

After using this meal plan i feel much better, and my bodyfat is going down nicely- i am starting to see a six pack.

Here's an example of my training programme:

1. Monday: Upper Body A Workout

2. Tuesday: Lower Body A Workout

3. Wednesday: off

4. Thursday: Upper Body B Workout

5. Friday: Lower Body B Workout

6. Saturday: off

7. Sunday: off

(i have a track near me, so ill sometimes do some sets of 100m sprints on a off day or do some light jogging)

UPPER BODY A

1. Bench Press

3 sets of 6-8 reps.

2-3 minutes rest between sets.

2. Rows

3 sets of 6-8 reps.

3. Incline Dumbbell flys

3 sets of 8-10 reps.

1-2 minutes rest between sets.

4. Lat Pull-Downs

3 sets of 8-10 reps.

5. Lateral Raises

2 sets of 10-12 reps.

1 minute rest between sets.

6. Triceps Press-Downs

2 sets of 10-12 reps.

7. Dumbbell Curls

2 sets of 10-12 reps.

LOWER BODY A

Squats

3 sets of 6-8 reps.

lunges

3 sets of 8-10 reps.

Calf Raises

4 sets of 10-15reps.

Abs circuit

UPPER BODY B

Pull-Ups

3 sets of 6-8 reps.

Barbell Shoulder Press

3 sets of 6-8 reps.

Bent over Row

3 sets of 8-10 reps.

Dips

3 sets of 8-10 reps.

Push ups

2 sets of 10-15 reps.

Barbell Curls

2 sets of 10-12 reps.

Dumbbell overhead extensions

2 sets of 10-12 reps.

LOWER BODY B

Romanian Deadlifts

3 sets of 6-8 reps.

Leg Press

3 sets of 10-12 reps.

Seated Leg Curls

3 sets of 8-10 reps.

Standing Calf Raises

4 sets of 6-8 reps.

Abs (cable crunch, decline sit ups)

3 sets of 8-15 reps.

Edited by jacklebodybuilder

Yesterdays workout

1.squats

50kg x 8 for 4 sets

100 reps with no weight (killer)

2.lunges

15kgx 15 for 4 sets

3. standing calf raises

50kgx 30 for 4 sets

no weight for 100 reps

4. i did a ab circuit. leg raises, cruches, weighted sit ups, planks. did 4 rounds tryig to do each exercise to failure. By the fourth round im not doing many reps per exercise

Todays workout

1. pull ups, 3 sets. (struggling to get any decent reps, it was 5,4,3. i will persist)

2. barbell shoulder press

25kg x 8 for 2 sets

20kg x 8 for 2 sets

3. bent over barbell row

50kg x 6 for 4 sets

4. bent over dumbel row

23kgx 8 for 4 sets

5. tricep dips for 4 sets (again struggled to get decent reps with these, was 8,6,4,5)

6. hammer curls

14kg x 6 for two sets

12kg x 6 for two sets

7. incline push up, overhead extension super sets

i used 20kg for the over head extensions and did push ups to failure for 4 sets.

Post workout i had a wholefoods smoothie with pea ad rice protein, half a can of black beans, banana, berries and beetroot juice. My back is definetly my strongest body part, strangely find it is the fastest part to adapt and grow.

Just made a blander full fo smoothie and its tastes really good. Needed something to fill me with nutrients, carbs and protein before my upper body workout. Here’s what i put in it (its massive)

big handful of spinach

3 speckled banans

tablespoon maca

200g frozen raspberries

tablespoon peanut defatted flour

2 scoops chocolate instant oats

half a scop chocolate pea protein

half a scoop sprouted rice protein

3g creapure

teaspoon spirulina

600ml water