Fire Academy prep and food log

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your missing the point as to why I brought Yates and Mentzer up....

With regard to cardio improvements, the research that showed the best improvements in cardiovascular efficiency came at the west point military academy, goggle it, it was set up by Arthur Jones, who had the participants preform high intensity circuit training. One set to failure per movement, he concluded that 6 weeks of proper strength training was more beneficial for improving cardiovascular efficiency than years of steady state activities such as jogging.

Olympic weight lifters, gymnasts and fighters are also looking to develop skill, moreover many of their careers are short lived due to injury from over usage. In fact one of the worlds leading orthopaedic surgeons spoke out about this recently, asking the trainers of young athletes to reduce the volume of the training, as someone who works in a hospital as know were his coming from.

Yates didn't even train HIT

http://breakingmuscle.com/strength-conditioning/hit-or-myth-the-truths-and-fallacies-of-high-intensity

Right so train to one set failure and be able to run up 15 flights of stairs in full gear. I don't think so. That study is bullshit otherwise endurance athletes would train with HIT. The only thing HIT has going for it are a few non repeatable BS studies and nothing else to show for it.

No one ever mentions anyone but Yates or Mentzer. It's sad really.

Check out Josh Trentine or John Heart, both are natural Mr Amercia winners, Ian Duckett is a several time natural world BB champion, Markus Reinhardt, Ray Mentzer, Aron Baker, David Dearth, David Paul, boyer Coe have had tremendous success using HIT. I could add many more to that list, also there is thousands upon thousands of individuals and clients of the likes of Dr Darden, Brain Johnston, Drew Baye, John Little, Doug McGuff who've had great success using HIT.

You just named like .01% of bodybuilders. Name one successful "athlete" that trained with HIT. bodybuilders aren't athletes. It's no more a sport than sculpting is a sport. It's more an art than a sport.

Oh and go out and run a timed 3 mile run and then tell me how HIT has improved your cardiovascular endurance.

Yates didn't even train HIT

http://breakingmuscle.com/strength-conditioning/hit-or-myth-the-truths-and-fallacies-of-high-intensity

Right so train to one set failure and be able to run up 15 flights of stairs in full gear. I don't think so. That study is bullshit otherwise endurance athletes would train with HIT. The only thing HIT has going for it are a few non repeatable BS studies and nothing else to show for it.

LOL, yates didn't train in HIT.

One set to failure...per movement

Like I said, you are ignorant. Well, ignorance ain't bliss, ignorance is ignorance.

Have a lovely evening:)

You just named like .01% of bodybuilders. Name one successful "athlete" that trained with HIT. bodybuilders aren't athletes. It's no more a sport than sculpting is a sport. It's more an art than a sport.

Oh and go out and run a timed 3 mile run and then tell me how HIT has improved your cardiovascular endurance.

I wont, I value my joints and connective tissues, but as it happens, I recently came 2nd out of 45 (several of whom are "cardio bunnies") in a team building event with work that involved rowing a mile and an army assault course.

Look Rob, I'm obviously biased against the way you train. Just as you are biased against how I train. We should just leave it at that. I would never go on your log and tell you that your training philosophy is shit. I'll do that here and elsewhere on the forum but not on your log. Why? Because it's a self professed HIT journey, that's why. What's the point?

11/05/15

9 days out!

Went to do a crossfit workout with the academy guys

Partnered up on everything but 1mile we had to run with our partner.

One round of:

100 burpees

100 pull-ups

600 jump ropes

100 kb swings w/53lb kb

1 mile run

1st - 20:57 my team

2nd - came in around 22 min

3rd - came in around 22:30

4th - came in around 24 min

5th - came in around 26 min

All my strength and conditioning is paying off. I'm going to be the old man that can keep up with the best. I felt like I could do another round or 2 and worked on some strict ring muscle-ups after the workout.

A couple hours later and I'm a bit tired. I'm feeling the accumulation of this weeks training. I've been carbing up and will sleep well tonight, for tomorrow I will find a long steep hill and run up that bastard many times.

11/06/15

I woke up this morning a little sore, but feeling huge and strong. I love that feeling. Must have been all the potatoes I ate yesterday. I know I was supposed to run hill repeats today but couldn't decide on which hill and I didn't want to drive across town to find a good hill so I just hit the trail. I did the 3 miler twice so I guess it was a repeat.

6 miles with 1800' elevation in 1:09:55

Since I knew I was going to do it twice I wasn't trying to break any records on the way up the first lap and made it up and down in 34 min turned right around and went up again. Oh I found out what the callouses that grow on the sides of my big toes are for. I cut them off and my toes were hurtin big time. Going up the second time wasn't as bad as I thought but I def didn't have the same power output.

I really don't think I can get much faster unless I drop some weight. At least 10 lbs. I'm not willing to do that though. I don't want to sacrifice that much strength. Tomorrow and Sunday I will rest.

your workouts look tough.

Some of them are. The conditioning and trail running workouts are hard but fun. My strength workouts aren't very hard although I do push to make improvements. It's kind of a bummer that I like these different training styles. Improved running ability negatively affects squat power but I guess powerlifting and calisthenics could go together although the lower body mass gained from squats slows down upper body calisthenics progress. If crossfit wasn't so retarded I'd probably be into it, but I just can't get over how stupid high rep oly lifts are and those awful kipping pull-ups....I know guys that can do many kipping ring muscle ups but not one strict one. Wow how'd I get on this rant. Lol. Must be dehydrated from the run. Ok I'll bring it back around.

How hard a workout is does not necessarily correlate with its effectiveness to produce the change you're looking for.

11/07/15

Today was going to be rest, studying and helping my son get caught up on some homework. I went to bed early and got about 9.5 hrs of solid sleep in and was feeling great. Got in some studying but got a bit antsy. I noticed my back muscles feeling strong and just a tiny bit of a residual soreness in my chest. So I thought I might as well take advantage and put a little training in. That's the advantage to a home setup.

Training:

Pull-ups x 15,15,15 +3 rep

Pike ring push-ups leg extended x 10,10,10 +6 reps

Chin-ups +50lbs x 6,6,6

Archer ring push-ups x 10,9,8

Overall felt very strong and made huge progress on pull-ups. I'm reaching where I was previously with the pike push-ups. The archer push-ups blasted my chest and I was blown up like a pectoral balloon from the massive pump. I cannot begin to express how beneficial the rings are. If I had to choose one training implement it would be the rings. They are that awesome.

+=improvement over last session

11/09/15

Another night of wonderful sleep. I ought to keep that up.

AM training

5 mile trail run with 1250' elevation in 51:36. 19 sec improvement. Feeling really good. I made it to the top a minute faster than previous but didn't quite run as fast on the way down.

PM training

Ring Rows x 15,15,15,15,15 +7reps

HLR toes to bar x 12,12,12,7 +2reps and added a set

I was going to do some archer dips but the strength wasn't there so I skipped them. I'm happy with the progress on rows and leg raises. Particularly the rows which for some reason I've never been super strong on. I'll be doing sets of 20 in no time.

Edited by Eiji

11/10

4 days out!!!

Training: session 1

3 mile trail run with 900' elevation in 30:07!! Just blew the doors off that one with 2:15 improvement!! What the hell?!? The first mile sucked big time, it always does. There's 600' of climb in that first mile and it hurts like a SOB! and I can't seem to get that mile in under 12 min. I dug in after that though.

One thing I did differently today was have a pre-run drink of 12oz rice milk plus 8oz soy milk with about 1/8 tsp sea salt about 10 min before the run and another of the same after I got home.

Session 2:

I mounted my rings from a higher part of the garage which now allows me to do muscle ups and dips with my legs straight. Sweet! I should have done that 6 months ago!

Ring Muscle-ups x 2,4,4

Archer ring dips x 5,4,4

Bulgarian ring dips x 5,5,5

Tricep push-ups x 11,10,10

Tricep push-ups - starting position is from the elbow plank, push up from there is one rep. This was a good power/hypertrophy workout.

11/11/15

Hit some stairs today. There's this sweet set of stairs in La Mesa going up the side of a hill for 3 blocks or so. 295 steps and pretty steep.

Just 4 rounds of running up with 20 squats at the top and running back down. The guys that were with me refused to do anymore. Just a lil overtraining to pound in the conditioning.

do you expect the academy to be more or less challenging than your current workouts? Good luck!

Thanks man!

I expect the academy workouts to be somewhat challenging but that my workouts and conditioning will have prepared me to the point that they won't really affect me all that much. There is also a full day of very physical manipulative practice of fire fighting skills after the morning PT. The academy is 5-6 days a week 12hrs per day for 16 weeks. The manipulative skills need to be done step by step precisely. There is also an amazing amount of information that I will be responsible for learning and memorizing. My level of conditioning will greatly affect my ability to stay mentally focused and error free during the drills and in the classroom.

yep, totally agree with that philosophy. When I went into basic training in the military, I got out in worse shape than when I started. The majority of my peers were not well conditioned upon entry, which made the rest of the training far more difficult for them. Accordingly, I racked up on awards night...lol.

Awesome that you're showing up prepared...please keep us posted if possible!

11/12/15

2 days out

Went back to the stairs today. Yesterday just didn't do it for me. I counted the stairs too. Its actually 245 steps up to the top then about 100m away another set of 200 steps going down the other side of the hill.

I did 4 rounds of out and back. It totaled 2.5 miles and 1010' of elevation in 39:50. This is equal to going up and down a 105 story stairwell.

I'll keep you guys posted.