getting lean and defined

Well my husband came and worked out with me for the first time in a very long time. I think he has a hard time coming with me, because he doesn't work out that often and he likes to make sure he is lifting heavier than I am. I understand since he is a man, but when he hasn't worked out forever he is supe sore the next day. It was nice to work out together though.

chest/abs

1. bench press- 4x6-8 reps ( 15, 20 ,25,25 lbs. on each side)

2. cable chest fly- 4x 8-10 ( 35,40,45,45 lbs.)

3. incline chest press- 4x8-10 ( 20,30,30 30 lbs.)

4. pushups- 4x12

5. roman chair- 5x20

6. 3 way abs- 4x10 each side

7. ab twist machine- 4x10 each side( 55 lbs.)

Food:

B; 1 c. oatmeal with raspberries, protein powder

S: protein shake

L: 1/2 c. refried beans with homemade cheeze sauce over green beans with crunched up beanitos chips

S: green smoothie

D: didn't feel like cooking last night, so I think I will try those chickpea fritters

S: maybe some coconut yogurt with some nuts

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boy I have been sore from these new workouts this week. I don't know if it is the new workouts or not enough sleep to repair the muscles or both. These have been some good workouts though.

I decided to try something called sleep deprivation therapy. I felt it worked pretty good. Too often I try to go to sleep and I see my bed as the enemy and I get stressed out and that makes it worse. So last night, I just stayed up out in the living room until I was fully ready to sleep. It was around 3 am, but I felt sleepy enough and I told myself that if I go to bed and can't sleep after 20 min. That I would go back in the living room until I was ready to sleep. It really lessened the stress. I took a bath and then fell asleep around 4 am, but I slept really good until 9. It is still not enough sleep, but more than I have been getting. I think I will try that again tonight. Maybe I can get back on a regular sleep pattern.

My only issue with this not sleeping is that I have been snacking a little more at night, especially with gluten free toast and a few chocolate chips. When I don't sleep I crave sugar and carbs. I need to stop that. I was joking around with my husband last night. I have been watching old episodes of X-Files at night and watching how Mulder is always snacking on sunflower seeds that are in the shell. I said maybe I should do that and it would keep my mouth busy so I don't snack on other stuff.

Workout: 40 min. elliptical

Food:

B: 1 c. cooked oatmeal with raspberries and protein powder

S; protein shake

L: don't know yet

S; green smoothie

D: Sexy Fit Vegan broccoli soup with 1/2 c. chickpeas

S: don't know yet, maybe banana ice cream with almond butter

I love getting reading my magazines. I spent yesterday reading the new issue of " Vegan Health and Fitness" . I just deovoured it. I really enjoyed reading about a lady who is a boxer. She has a ton of muscle. There are a lot of great articles in there. I love seeing people build great muscle on a vegan diet.

I also love my "Strong" magazine which I got today. There was an interview and a workout by Holly Holmes. I just love UfC fights. I am going tomorrow night to my sisters to watch the UFC fight.

I have been thinking a lot about my diet. I still want to use my protein powder, but I want my focus to be on more whole food plant based meals. I want more veggies and fruit in my meals as well. I am going to work on that today.

Workout: shoulder/tricpep

1. bb oh shoulder press-4x10 ( 50 lbs.)

superset with seated lateral shoulder raise- 4x10 (10 lbs.)

2. incline face chair front raise- 4x10 ( 10 lbs.)

3. machine delt press- 4x10 ( 50-60 lbs)

4.behind back barbell tricep press- 4x10 ( 30 lbs.)

5. cable tricpe kickback single arm- 4x10 ( 20-30 lbs.)

6. oh straight bar cable tricep press- 4x10 ( 60 lbs.)

superset with rope cable tricep pushdowns- 4x10 ( 60-70 lbs.)

food:

L: leftover homemade broccoli soup with 1/2 c. garbanzo beans, 2 slices of gluten free bread

D: spaghetti made with edamme pasta, salad

S: blondies

It was so nice to not have basketball games today. My boys have had games every Saturday for two months. I enjoyed them, but it was nice to be able to go to my yoga class this morning. I really needed it.

I am excited to go watch the UFC fight at my sister's house tonight.

Food:

B: 1 c. cooked oatmeal with protein powder and 1 c. raspberries

L: mung bean and edamme pasta with spagetti sauce and 1 c. peas

S: a couple of protein blondies I made last night

D: eating at my sisters. She is serving sandwiches, veggies with hummus and fruit salad

S: if hungry banana with a protein shake

I had a lot of fun at the UFC fights Saturday night.I was hoping Holly Holmes would win, but I was stiil happy for Tate. I really loved the fight with Mcgregor and Diaz. That was an awsome fight. Someone said Diaz is vegan. I think that is pretty cool.

My husband came and worked out with me this morning. It was nice.

Workout back/bicep

1. assisted reverse grip pullups- 4x6-8 reps( 45-50 lbs.) I did one set of 3 reps on the pullup bar

2. single arm seated row- 4x8 ( 30-40 lbs.)

3. trx row- 4x 10 reps

4. lower back raise- 4x 15 reps

5. rope cable bicep curl- 4x8 ( 50-70 lbs.)

6. 21's bar bicep curl- 3 sets

7. drag bar curls- 4x10 ( 40-50 lbs.)

10 min. HIIT on ellitpical

I am still working on tweaking my food.

preworkout: 1/2 banana

B: 1 c. oatmeal with raspberries and protein powder

L: homemade tomato soup with 1/2 c. chickpeas, 2 slices of gluten free bread( I need to make some whole grains to eat)

D: chickpea fritters with steamed spinach, homemade sweet potato fries

S: don't know yet

I'm still struggling with insomnia and not feeling my best. I wanted to sleep in today, but my husband wanted to go workout with me this morning. He wants to get healthy and lose weight and lift with me. I don't want him to skip working out. He hasn't really worked out for quite a while and I think it is a good thing that he gets back into it. So if he wants to come with me, I will get up earlier so that he will go work out.

We did legs together today,but I have to say my energy level was just not there this morning. My sister is a yoga teacher and she suggested that I do nothing but do yoga and walking for two weeks and see if it helps me feel better. I am tempted to try it, but at the same time, I love lifting weights and I know my husband won't do yoga with me, but he will lift weights with me.

Legs:

1. smith machine squats- 4x 10-15 reps( 15,30,35,45 lbs.)

2. leg press- 4x10( on each side- 80 lbs, 125, 125,125)

3. seated calf raises- 3x20 ( 45 lbs.)

4. single leg lying hamstring curl- 4x10 each leg( 25 lbs.)

supereset single leg deadlift no weight-4x10 each leg

superset reverse lunges- no weight- 4x10

5. inner/outer thigh machine- 4x10 each (75,80,85,90)

6. walking lunges with bar- 4x20 ( 40 lbs.)

food:

preworkout: 1/2 slice of homemade banana bread

B: 1 c. cooked oatmeal with protien powder and raspberries

L: leftover chickpea patties, veggies, 1/2 sweet potato

D: rice bowl with veggies and beans

S: maybe some chia pudding or protein shake with a banana

I have been really thinking of doing some yoga and walking for a couple of weeks to take the stress off of my body. I have really been struggling with feeling like crap in the afternoon. I really think I may have some adrenal issues. I will know more when I talk with my naturopath on Monday. I have a hard time with that decision because my husband is now working out with me.

My workouts have seemed extra tough lately. I know because I'm so tired in the mornings( still insomnia issues) and my body is just feels worn out lately.

But I did lift heavier than I ever have on my bench press only because my husband was there to spot me.

chest/abs

1. bench press- 4x6-10 ( on each side-15 lbs, 25 lbs, 30 lbs, 30 lbs.)

2. incline bench press- 4x6-10 ( bar, 10 lbs. 15 lbs, 20 lbs.)

3. chest fly machine- 4x8-10 ( 70,80,85,90)

4. pushups- 3x10

5. roman chair-5x20

6. ab crunch machine- 4x25

7. side ab machine- 4x10 each side

Food:

preworkout: 1/2 banana

L: leftover chickpea fritters, 2 slices of gluten free toast

D: hummus on brown rice tortilla with veggies, kale chips

S: chia pudding, oatmeal or protein shake with fruit

I got a chance to skype with my grandma yesterday which was nice. She will be 100 yrs. old in May. I only hope I can be in as good a shape as she is. She still does some walking everyday, although not very far anymore and has to use a walker only for balance. Health wise she is doing great except some loss of hearing and eyesight. She is an amazing lady.

I didn't want to do a boring cardio today. I was goin to go walk the golf course with my husband for my exercise today, but it was too crazy a day for him to go golfing. So I went and did a Body Combat class. It was fun while I was doing it, but it may have been too much for my body right now.

food:

B: 1 c. cooked oatmeal with berries and protein powder

L: don't know yet

D: beans/rice veggies with salsa and guacamole

S: chia pudding or oatmeal

I had my first apt. with my naturopath yesterday. I loved her. She really knew what she was doing. She is going to retest my thyroid as she thinks that may be off. I go in for lab work on Thursday and she is running some other blood work as well. She is also sending an adrenal kit to my house. It is a saliva test that I will do and send in. She really thinks my main problem is my adrenals. I think that may be my problem as well.

I will be interested to see what how the tests come back. I should know by next week.

I think for now, I need to cut back on my exercise. I am now going to do strictly yoga and walking for now. It will probably kill me. I have done yoga before and I like doing body flow classes, but to do striclty yoga instead of my weight lifting is going to be hard. I did a yoga class today and loved it and felt my muscles working, but I have to admit after I was done I really had a hard time with not wanting to go lift some weights. I looked at everyone at the gym and really wanted to lift.

But I think for right now, this is what I need to do for my body to heal. I think in the long run this will help my body. If I do have adrenal issues, which I suspect than this will be a good thing to do for right now.

I am also going to be eating more whole foods. I want to feed my body based on health not about losing weight( although I still want to lose some weight), but to me my health is more important.

I have been watching this ladies videos on Youtube. She is doing a 12 week challenge. She is strictly vegan and eats nothing but whole foods. She also shows her workouts as well. She has a great sense of humor and they are fun to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/user/montanadanna/featured Here is her link.

My food:

B: lemon water, 3/4 c. uncooked oatmeal with mixed berries, 1 tbsp. flax seed, 1 tbsp. chia seeds, stevia

L: leftover sweet potato fries, salad with garbanzo beans and balsalmic dressing

D: burrito bowl( brown rice, black beans, pico, homemade guacamole, salsa, cooked onion and peppers, salad)

S: apple with almond butter

I felt really good about my eating yesterday. I finally slept through the night the past 2 nights. It has been nice.

I did go to the gym today and did chest and abs with my husband. I feel achy all over and really tired, so I may have to do just yoga and walking and see how I feel.

Food:

B: made the most amazing oatmeal pancakes with strawberries and pure maple syrup. I ate four of them. Luckily I have leftovers for tomorrow

L: leftover burrito bowl( 1 c. brown rice, 1/2 c. black beans, salsa, guacamole, lettuce, cooked peppers)

D:don't know yet

S: pumpkin oatmeal or coconut yogurt with nuts

Looks like you've been putting in some hard work. Do you take a B vitamin supplement? My wife makes me take one (I'm terrible about taking pills). She says to get the on that the supplement in it that starts with an M. I can tell when I haven't been taking it regularly because I feel sluggish all the time. It's cool you are so supportive of your husband. Nice to have a training partner as well. Can be boring when all alone every time. Glad you're doing well!

Thanks, I do take a vitamin B supplement. Yes it is nice to have someone to workout with.

I got my blood work done today. Hopefully next week I can find out what is going on with my thyroid and my adrenals. I still haven't got the adrenal kit yet.

I am trying to cut back a little on my workouts. I do like lifting and wonder if I could add some more lifting and it not affect how I feel. Yesterday and today I haven't felt that great. I know it is either hashimotos or adrenal related or both. That is why it will be nice to get those test results back. I am tired of being exhausted and achy.

I did have a great time doing yoga with two of my daughters today. It was a tough class, but I really enjoyed it, especially the stretching and mediation at the end.

Food has been going okay. For some reason, I have been hungrier than usual.

B: 4 oatmeal pancakes with fresh strawberries and blueberries and a little pure maple syrup( yum)

L: 1 c. cooked brown rice, 1/2 c. black beans, salsa, guacamole, cooked bell peppers

S: green smoothie, 2 rice cakes

D: I am so excited to try this recipe- pesto pasta with veggies( asparagus, broccoli,onions, spinach and tomatoes), 1/2 c. chickpeas mixed in. ( the recipe comes from Montana Dana youtube channel. She is vegan and posts her workouts and what she eats. She is so fun to watch)

S: don't know yet, maybe apple with some almond butter

• 3 weeks later...