getting lean and defined

Create and maintain your own personal online journal. Log your meals and/or workouts, and monitor your progress. Hold yourself accountable and receive support, suggestions, and be open to feedback.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

kathymtns
Manatee

Re: getting lean and defined

#121 Postby kathymtns » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:54 pm

I had such a bad night sleep last night. I woke up to go to the bathroom and couldn't shut my brain off. I finally fell asleep around 6 am and slept until 10 am. I am hoping to get a good night sleep tonight.

I am so glad it is Friday. It has been a crazy week.

Workout: chest/tricep/abs

1. bench press- 4x10 ( last set was 5 reps)-( 10,15,20,25 lbs. added to bar)
2. incline db bench press- 4x10 ( last two sets were 8 reps)- (15,25,30,30 lbs.)
3. pushups- 3x10 reps
4. skull crushers with ez bar- 4x15,12,10,8 ( 30,40,50,50 lbs.)
5. tricep dips on assisted machine- 4x10 ( 50,50,40, 40 lbs.)
6. single arm reverse grip tricep extensions with handle- 4x10 on each ( 30-40 lbs.)
7. roman chair straight leg- 5x20
8. decline abs- 3x15 reps

Food:
B: 1 c. cooked oatmeal with raspberries and 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
L: leftover homemade broccoli soup with 1/2 c. chickpeas, rice cake
S: green smoothie
D: veggie burger, roasted cauliflower
S: almond flour cacao nib cookies

HIT Rob
Gorilla

#122 Postby HIT Rob » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:13 am

Ya need to get that sleep sorted Kathy, itll mess with your gains and fat loss. Do you suffer with anxiety or depression?

kathymtns
Manatee

#123 Postby kathymtns » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:59 pm

I sometimes suffere anxiety and depression, but I think it is directly related to my thyroid levels( hashimotos)
I have been sleeping much better the past few nights. I got to bed late last night and slept until almost 11 am this morning. I must have been really tired. I never ever sleep that late, but it felt good. So because of that my meals have been off today.

I am excited, in a week or two, I will be working with my old trainer. I think I need the structure and the help. She does meal plans and workout plans. I like her because she does heavier lifting, which is what I like. And her workouts are challenging. I am going to start with 4 weeks and see how I do. When I was with her before, I didn't know I had hashimotos and was not knowing what was going on with my body. Now I know and she has worked with others with thyroid issues, so that is good.

Workout:
B: 1 c. cooked oatmeal with 1 scoop protein powder, 1 c. raspberries
L: bowl of homemade minestrone soup, 2 rice cakes with almond butter and protein shake
D: avacado pasta made with mung bean and edamme pasta, salad( avacado pasta is so yummy- Oh She Glows blog)
S: pumpkin oatmeal or oatmeal with chocolate protein powder

kathymtns
Manatee

#124 Postby kathymtns » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:14 pm

I realized I put workout and didn't post my workout

shoulders/abs/HIIT
1. plate curl to shoulder press- 4x10 ( 25 lbs.)
2. lateral raises- 4x12 ( 10 lbs.)
3. arnold press- 5x10 ( 15 lbs.)
superset- seated delt flies-5x10 (10-15 lbs.)
4. cable upright row- 4x10 ( 40-60 lbs.)
5. db front raises slow decline- 5x10 ( 8 lbs.)
6. ab wheel- 4x12
7. roman chair obliques- 4x10 each side
8. ab crunches- 4x25

20 min. HIIT on ellitptical

Tomorrow I am going to start decreasing reps and lift heavier

kathymtns
Manatee

#125 Postby kathymtns » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:26 pm

Well my son woke up with a stomach bug this morning. I am praying it doesn't go through the whole family and stays with him and that he recovers quickly. I am diffusing On Guard oil in my house and am ready to sterilize everything. I am not good with dealing with stomach bugs.

Workout: legs
1. hamstring curl- 4x6-8 reps( 115,130,130,130 lbs.)
superset with barbell lunges-4x12 each side( 50 lbs.)
2. cable glute kickbacks- 3x20 each leg( 50 lbs.)
3. lying hamstring curl- 4x6-8 reps( 60,70,75,70 lbs.)
4. calf raises on leg press maching-20 toes forward, 20 toes out,20 toes in, 20 toes forward(100lbs.)
5. bulgarian split squat-4x10 on each leg( 15-20 lbs. db)
6. step ups- 4x15 each leg

Food:
B: 1 c. cooked oatmeal with protein powder, 1 c. raspberries
L: leftover mung bean and edamme pasta with avacado sauce
D: leftover homemade minestrone soup, salad
S: oatmeal with chocolate protein powder

Gaia
Elephant

#126 Postby Gaia » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:52 am

I wanted to say that I have trouble sleeping some nights too.

It usually happens when I have calorie restricted my day.

And what I mean with my no sleep, is that I basically pass out at the beginning, then wake up 3 hours later (around 2 AM) with the feeling that I want to go run outside and do something.
I will go to the bathroom (even if I don't have to go, just to let that energetic feeling go into some action),
then I will settle down in the bed and do some yoga deep breathing to slow the heart rate down,
then do everything to get myself comfortable,
and then I will get back to sleep.

I also noticed that I have lost a pound or two the next day.

My theory is that for some reason the body has switched to the stored fat to utilize for basal metabolism (basal or more - because the body is trying to repair the damage I have done during my workouts) as I sleep. And the body can't regulate it, so it is utilizing all this fat at once, and that is why I feel like I do when I wake up.

With this theory in my head, I smile when I wake up instead of getting all worried about not enough sleep. This helps as I try to go back to sleep at night because thinking about not getting enough sleep AGAIN produces anxiety, which has a way of spiking your cortisol levels instantaneously.
Cortisol is not good for leaning out because the body now has to decide whether to utilize the fat and keep it up at that rate (albeit unregulated correctly) , or go into shut down mode because it is forecasting calorie restriction for the next couple of days, aka starvation mode).

Sometimes I will have a shot glass of juice (watered down, but enough so the taste buds can taste the sugar) to help the body not go into shut down mode, and it also seems to calm my body down - maybe it switches from the fat utilization for a little while to carb/sugar utilization from the little bit of sugar I just gave my body?

This is just from my own experience. I also have high anxiety, but when I wake up at night from anxiety, it is usually because of stupid dreams/nightmares, and then I have to walk around and recover (definitely getting my adrenaline and cortisol levels down to normal) with my true reality of what is (my family sleeping soundly, the coldness of the weather, and what needs to be cleaned up tomorrow/chores).

kathymtns
Manatee

#127 Postby kathymtns » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:41 pm

Thanks, good advice.
So far, nobody else sick. Keeping my fingers crossed. We ususally have church on Wednesday night. This is the first time church has been cancelled on account of sickness. This stomach bug went around like crazy. 30 people from our church had it yesterday, that we know of. There could have been more. Glad it seems to be a one day thing. Still praying nobody else gets it in my family.
I diffused a lot of On Guard oil yesterday.

Workout: bacl/bicpep HIIt

1. pullovers- 3x15 reps( 20,25,25 lbs.)
2. chin ups 4x AMRAP( I was only able to do 4 at a time)
3. seated close grip row- 4x6-8 reps( 80,90,100,100 lbs.)
superset with stab. ball back extensions 4x20 reps
4. pulldowns in chin up position- 3x6 ( 90,100,100 lbs.)
5. preacher curl machine- 4x10- slow decline-8 counts( 30 lbs.)
6. alt. db bicep curl- 4x 6-10 reps( 20,20,25,25 lbs.)
7.bicep curls with db-one set amrap( 20 lbs. was able to do 11 reps)
8. rope straight arm pulldowns- 4x6-8 reps( 80,80,90,90 lbs.)

20 min. intervals on treadmill( 1 min. fast walk, 2 min. incline walk, 2 min. incline walking lunge)

Food:
B: 1 c. cooked oatmeal with 1 c. raspberries, 1 scoop protein powder
L: leftover minestrone soup, 2 rice cakes with almond butter
D: cauliflower soup, roasted chickpeas
S: 1 c. cooked oatmeal with 2 tbsp. hemp seeds and pumpkin

kathymtns
Manatee

#128 Postby kathymtns » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:08 pm

I am getting excited to work with my trainer. Hopefully I will start next week.

Workout: 1 hr. Body combat class

Food :
B: 1 c. oatmeal with raspberries and protein powder
L: roasted caulflower, 2 slices of gluten free toast, protein shake
D: going out to eat for my daughter's birthday
S: pumpkin oatmeal

kathymtns
Manatee

#129 Postby kathymtns » Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:52 pm

I am having a rough day today. I am feeling achy and really tired. I know it is from Hashimotos. I have felt this way before. My eating has been off and I ate gluten free bread yesterday and the day before which seems to bother me. I need to get back on track with my eating. I was really feeling good and having good energy when I was eating good and sticking with the Six Weeks to Sexy Abs.

I love watching that show " My diet is better than Yours". I think it is way more realistic than Biggest Loser. I sometimes think about wanting to train again. I am a personal trainer, but after I gained weight and had adrenal fatigue( hashimotos related), I knew I needed to stop and try and lose weight and get my body healthy again. I miss doing something that I enjoy. I guess I also lost confindence that I could really help anyone, since I really can't seem to lose my weight that I have gained.
I am tired of this Hashimotos stuff. I want my health back and I want this extra weight gone. I am really hoping this trainer will be able to get me there.

Workout: chest/tricep/abs
1. bench press- 4x6-8 reps ( 15,20,25,25 lbs.on each side)
2. incline db bench press- 4x6-8 reps( 20,25,30,30 lb.s)
3. pushups on toes- 4x10 reps
4. skull crushers with ez bar- 4x10 reps( 50 lbs.)
5. seated tricep dips-4x8 reps( 100 lbs.)
6. one arm tricep press down( reverse grip) with handle- 4x10 each arm( 30-40 lbs.)
7. rope tricep extension- 4x8 reps( 60,70,70,70 lb.s)
8. roman chair abs- 5x20
9. 3 way crunches- 5x10 each way

food: ( note to self- have food prepared)
B: 1 c. cooked oatmeal with 1 c. raspberries, 1 scoop protein powder
L: leftover cauliflower, 2 rice cakes with almond butter and half a banana, protein shake
S: 1/2 c. edamme, rice cake with almond butter
D: don't know yet
S: going to make those protein blondies( Jacked on the Beanstalk recipe)

kathymtns
Manatee

#130 Postby kathymtns » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:52 pm

I didn't get a chance to post yesterday. It was a crazy day. Yesterday I did shoulders, abs and cardio.

Today was legs/glutes, calves. My daughter did the workout with me last week and her calves were sore for 3 days. She had trouble walking. The calf one is tough.

1. seated hamstring curl-4x10
superset with bb weighted lunges- 4x10 each side( 50 lbs.)
2. lying hamstring curl- 4x8 reps( 70 lbs. each set)
3. cable glute kickbacks- 3x20 reps( 50 lbs.)
4. calf raises on the leg press machine- 20 forward, 20 toes in, 20 toes out, 20 forward( 100 lbs.)
5. leg extensions- 4x10 reps( 115,130,145,145 lbs.)
6. bulgarian split squat- 4x12 each side( 10 lbs.)
7. step ups- 4x15 each leg

I started my meal plan with my trainer and this is the second day. I like the meals and feel like it is something I can stick with. I start with the workouts tomorrow.

So from now on for a while I will just be posting updates. I don't want to post about her meal plans or workouts. I am excited to see some progress.

kathymtns
Manatee

#131 Postby kathymtns » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:37 pm

I have done great the first two days of my meal plan. I love that she works around the foods that I like and adds them in. I really haven't felt deprived. I did have 2 extra rice cake yesterday, but overall not too bad.

I started the first day of my workouts from my trainer. It was shoulders and a short cardio. It didn't look too bad on paper, but another thing doing the workout. It was good because it was working strength, but also kept my heart rate up. I know I am weird, but I really enjoyed the workout. I love something new, that kicks my butt.

Ready for tomorrows workout.

esqinchi
Elephant

#132 Postby esqinchi » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:59 pm

Some of the best progress I ever made was when I was working with a trainer. If you get the right person, you'll never want for motivation or variety. I think the variety in exercises alone is worth the cost. Congrats on keeping with the diet!

kathymtns
Manatee

#133 Postby kathymtns » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:23 pm

Thanks, esqinchi. Yesterday was a little tough. I thought it would be easier since it was a higher carb day for me. But I was super full for breakfast and ended up hungry at night. I have to say I had a couple of rice cakes extra and then I woke up at 3 am and was hungry and had a banana. But overall I feel pretty good about the day.

Todays workout was a tough one, It was hamstrings and back. I have a feeling I will be sore tomorrow. My son came because for his online school he had to run a mile and time it and also see how many pushups and situps he could do in one minute. So he did my workout with me and then I timed him on his pushups and situps and then I jogged a mile with him on the treadmill. I think it is great that they have to do those things in school.
My boys like their video games and I hate for them not to excercise. It is good that they are in basketball and that they like practicing a lot. Now I just need to get my youngest daughter working out more.

kathymtns
Manatee

#134 Postby kathymtns » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:42 pm

I guess I haven't really posted since Thursday of last week. The meal plan has been going ok. I have had cravings for other things and some days it is struggle. I think part of it is the past 3 days I have had trouble sleeping. I am hoping to get into a regular sleep pattern. I know that helps a lot. I think I will use my magnesium again tonight to help me sleep better.

I do struggle with eating Beyond Meat products. They are not my favorite. I don't know if I just don't know how to cook them right or what. I struggle with eating it. The rest of the meal plan I really like.

The workout today was all legs and glutes. I had 3 sets of everything and at first I really struggled because I looked at the workout and thought I should do 4 sets, because that is what I am used to, but as I started the workout, I quickly realized that I did not want to do 4 sets and stuck to the 3 my trainer put on there. It was a tough leg workout and my legs were shaky afterwards. I loved it.

I officially started my weight loss challenge through a group on facebook. The weight loss challenge is through the end of
April. I am really hoping to make some big changes by then.

My starting weight was 164.5 lbs. according to my scale this morning and my measurement around my stomach was 38 1/2 inches( which is where I want to lose my weight from).

kathymtns
Manatee

#135 Postby kathymtns » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:43 pm

I did good sticking to my meal plan last night. I didn't sleep good again last night, so I did have a glass of almond milk in the middle of the night. But other than that I did good with it. Today is my high carb day. I look forward to these days.

The workout was good to. It was shoulder and cardio. The only issue I had, was that I am pretty tired from not getting enough sleep and a little cranky. I am really hoping to get some good sleep tonight and hopefully start seeing some changes in my body. I think a lot has to do with lack of sleep.

Return to “Online Training Journals & Blogs”