Fat loss, fitness gain

Create and maintain your own personal online journal. Log your meals and/or workouts, and monitor your progress. Hold yourself accountable and receive support, suggestions, and be open to feedback.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

Eiji
Manatee

Re: Fat loss, fitness gain

#16 Postby Eiji » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:49 pm

Ha! I think you are describing a side stitch. It's often the experienced with new trainees during running or other cardiovascular taxing event. I used to get them. What worked for me is regulating my breathing to a constant tempo. I've heard of other techniques to help but I don't remember. Google how to prevent a side stitch or side ache.

I'm not totally against all supplements. Mostly I think protein supplements are a complete waste of money. B12 is important for everyone but meat eaters point us vegans out on it.

Other supplements that have clinical researched benefits:
Only if you need specific performance benefits
Creatine mono hydrate
Trimethylglycine "TMG"
Beta alanine

Whole food supplements are also beneficial: maca root (gelatinized), suma root, spirulina, chlorella

Other foods to eat regularly: beets, spinach, turmeric root, ginger, garlic, hot peppers (capsaicin)
Make no excuses to skip a training session. Feel stressed, sad, sick or tired? Go train. Your friends, your heart, mind and body will lie to you. Telling you that you need that recovery day. Go ahead, stay home. I'll be training that day and getting better no matter what.

Weez
Rabbit

#17 Postby Weez » Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:50 pm

I've been pushing my best to stretch out my side and regulate breathing, but it's really holding me back. Last night I didn't manage more than 5 minutes of cardio with weight before it hit me. I can't get the breath into me quick enough. Then it affects the whole routine I have.

I've got some vegan B12 to take once a day, I do feel I could get energy up a bit more and researching a little on the net. I am okay with this for now. Yeah I noticed they do among other things, I used to be the same when I was a meat eater I guess - but then I would say from what I have researched on it that meat eaters are just as deficient if not more than vegans. I am happy to dump the protein shakes, I am not fussed on them and I would rather just eat proper food I find they bloat me out.

Okay, thanks for all your time and input man. I really appreciate it. I'll still get this side checked if I can't get it regulated. I am pushing hard at the minute but there is only so far I can get before collapsing in pain and lack of breath. That's what does me in, not being able to breathe.

Eiji
Manatee

#18 Postby Eiji » Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:08 pm

Hmmm, well a side ache shouldn't double you over in pain. You should probably get it checked out.
Make no excuses to skip a training session. Feel stressed, sad, sick or tired? Go train. Your friends, your heart, mind and body will lie to you. Telling you that you need that recovery day. Go ahead, stay home. I'll be training that day and getting better no matter what.

Weez
Rabbit

#19 Postby Weez » Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:07 pm

It's on my priority to do, I can train by lifting, but anything that exerts HIIT cardio and Im done for a good 10 minutes but its the oxygen and breathing, I can't get it in me as it hurts too much. I don't get ache or muscle strain either so I assumed it was a stitch but I can not regulate it at all. When I started the HIIT training though, it never happened, it's a recent thing of maybe 3 weeks or so. Will be seeing the GP next week just to make sure.

Gaia
Elephant

#20 Postby Gaia » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:08 am

Sounds like exercise induced asthma. My kids had that when they played soccer. You have to increment your cardio training, and doing yoga breath work (to work your lower lungs) helps build up the time before it hits you.

My personal breathing technique helps me with this. Instead of taking one long breath in while exercising, take 2 to 3 inhales to fill up ALL of the lungs before exhaling. This way you get the max of oxygen into your lungs before you exhale the conversion to carbon dioxide, and you are stretching all the lung tissue to work for you.

Also, take advice, try it in your routine, and if it works for you (at the time), then hold onto it. If it doesn't work for you (after awhile of time has passed), then go on and try something else.

Weez
Rabbit

#21 Postby Weez » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:02 pm

Gaia wrote:Sounds like exercise induced asthma. My kids had that when they played soccer. You have to increment your cardio training, and doing yoga breath work (to work your lower lungs) helps build up the time before it hits you.

My personal breathing technique helps me with this. Instead of taking one long breath in while exercising, take 2 to 3 inhales to fill up ALL of the lungs before exhaling. This way you get the max of oxygen into your lungs before you exhale the conversion to carbon dioxide, and you are stretching all the lung tissue to work for you.

Also, take advice, try it in your routine, and if it works for you (at the time), then hold onto it. If it doesn't work for you (after awhile of time has passed), then go on and try something else.

Thanks for tip, I have been trying to regulate my breathing, I can usually do 1k before it starts to hurt. Which then just ruins my workout. I have been monitoring myself with breathing and I have noticed during the day with work I am breathing too low or holding breath when concentrating......... never noticed before.

I'm actively forcing deep breaths during the day, but I am still not getting the best out of my workouts. But I have found Yoga and Tai Chi to help in the evenings.

This is going to be a long road, but I am prepared. I need to smash more cardio.

I found that some stretches that were taught to me really pulled my side, which I think has helped reduce it somewhat.

I've had a week off any intense training due to working away, but continued with the yoga.

I think I can start blogging a little better now I have gained some knowledge.

Return to “Online Training Journals & Blogs”