B987 - My training Log

b987

Hi,

Hope all are well.

In the interest of honesty, I am not a 'fully fledged' vegan yet - however I am in the process and hope to get there soon. I have been a veggie since birth, however recently having become fully aware of certain things I am transitioning over to fully plant based, and hope to get there soon.

I currently am 27, 5'7" weighing 104kg - so very overweight. I've been told my cholesterol is dangerously high (another reason to go vegan), so need to make some changes. I used to love lifting and playing sport, specifically football (soccer) but a few knee injuries and 2 operations later it caused me some issues. I went from a stable 85kg to the 105kg mark that i'm around now in a little over 2 years. Bu hey-ho, past is the past, and after getting past my knee troubles, i've started lifting again (slowly).

I'm following a beginners program right now (Stronglifts 5x5), just to build up strength and will see how i develop before moving over to other programs.

I just had my 3rd workout in the program today, so will start my log from this:

Todays workout 03/11/2015:

Squats :

20kg 2x5

25kg 5x5

Bench:

22.5kg 5x5

Barbell Rows:

5x5 32.5kg

Extra exercises:

Lat pull downs

20kg 3x12

Tricep pushdows:

12.5kg 3x12

Bicep cable curls

10kg 2x12

10kg 1x9

Heavy bag cardio to finish off.

1 minute punch, 30 second rest x 6 = 9 minutes

Good workout today, worked up a good sweat. Still no real challenge with the compound work, struggle a bit with the bicep curls at the end.

got the heavy bag set up so a nice little burst of cardio at the end.

Enjoyable workout overall!

I would greatly appreciate if someone can aid and perhaps direct me to some vegan nutrition plans, thanks!

Thanks Kathy.

Todays workout:

Squats:

20kg 2x5

27.5kg 5x5

OHP

22.5kg 5x5

Deadlift

60kg 1x5

Felt really good today so had another workout, but kept it to just the compounds - where possible i think I will push myself to have daily workouts, in particular for squats. Been reading a lot of info lately saying squatting daily can be extremely beneficial, so will give it a go - obvs very low weight at the moment so will keep it going, and will review at heavier weights if I begin to struggle.

Nothing other to report, just a good quick workout.

Cheers!

Today's workout 03/11/2015:

Squats:

20kg 2x5

30kg 5x5

Bench:

25kg 5x5

Barbell Rows:

5x5 35kg

Another straight forward workout, all went well. Really enjoying the squats, want to get on the big plates, but of course being sensible and not letting my ego lead me to another injury!

Looking forward to tomorrow's workout!

Hey man! I am 28 and a dude lol... we have a lot in common.

I turned plant based a few months ago and vegan around a month ago. My cholesterol went from 11.3 to 4 in a couple of weeks. (or 440-150 in American terms). My knee pain in my left leg also went away, which I believe was because of my uric acid going down.

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

Delayed workout this time, was down with flu and then travelling for work for a few weeks. Although I used hotel gyms, no power rack so couldn't continue 5x5

Anyways...

Squats:

20kg 2x5

32.5kg 5x5

OHP

25kg 5x5

Deadlift

60kg 1x5

Good to be back squatting, was all easy enough so no complaints.

Did a bit of light bag work after to work up a little sweat.

Next workout tomorrow, have a good Sunday!

Skeering - glad things going well for you pal, you will be serving as my inspiration!

Edited by b987

Evening all.

Decided to skip yesterdays work out, as after not squatting for a while legs were sore, so i didn't do back to back workouts and had a days rest as the program requires.

Today's workout 01/12/2015:

Squats:

20kg 2x5

35kg 5x5

Bench:

20kg 2x5

27.5kg 5x5

Barbell Rows:

5x5 37.5kg

No troubles, straight forward again, and a bit of light bag workout to go along with it.

Another one tomorrow if i feel ok, else will be Thursday.

Have a good night!

• 4 months later...

Hi,

I have a question i hope you can help me with

Using MFP, my calorie restriction is set at 1930 cals per day (plus any with exercise), aiming to lose 0.5kg a week. I am also using a new Fitbit blaze, to prompt to get my 10,000 steps, track HR, along with my gym workout.

Due to GP telling me to do so, I have weighed myself everyday (I know it'll fluctuate due to water weight) but results were quite interesting.

I started last Wednesday so just going to put a quick weekly summary and if you could lend me your thoughts at the end that would be great.

Thursday 7/4: Goal 1930 - Food 2476cal + Exercise 703 = 157cal remaining

Carb 60%, Fat 27%, Protein 13% - Weight - 103kg

Friday 8/4: Goal 1930 - Food 1714cal + Exercise 532 = 748cal remaining

Carb 69%, Fat 19%, Protein 12% - Weight 102.8kg

Sat 9/4: Goal 1930 - Food 2372cal + Exercise 167 = -275cal over

Carb 55%, Fat 30%, Protein 15% - Weight 102kg

Sun 10/4: Goal 1930 - Food 2452cal + Exercise 626 = 104 cal remaining

Carb 45%, Fat 41%, Protein 13% - Weight 101.4kg

Mon 11/4: Goal 1930 - Food 2715cal + Exercise 1618 = 833 cal remaining

Carb 55%, Fat 32%, Protein 13% - Weight 102.5kg

Tues 12/4: Goal 1930 - Food 1522cal + Exercise 1026 = 1434 cal remaining

Carb 49%, Fat 36%, Protein 15% - Weight 102.9kg

Now it could be that I'm looking at things too mechanically, and if so please say - but assuming the normal deficit for 0.5kg weight loss a week is around 500cals, then my total deficit over the last few days should be (inc extra remaining cals - i tracked these very accurately) - 6001 calorie deficit, roughly equal to 0.75kg of fat. My questions are as follows:

1) As you can see I only weight 100grams less than at the start, however i dropped 1.6kg in a few days and then put it back on - Is that normal?

2) My macros are on average around 55% carbs, 30% fat, 15% protein - any recommendations on moving these, or they sound ok? Most of my carbs are low GI.

3) If you see Tues 12/4, I have a large deficit of 1434, plus the standard 500 for the day, so 1934 calorie deficit - is this too large for 1 day? I wasn't really hungry, but should I be forcing myself to eat and close this gap? i do feel a bit tired as I've been pushing myself in the gym (5x5 squats follwed by a 5mile fast walk, feeling it in my legs today) - I don't want to be too low on calories given my workload, although as Im on just over 30% body fat, I'm hoping this won't be a problem and body can use fat stores!

Thanks, any advice/opinions are greatly received and appreciated!

Hey,

Maybe weighting every day is a bit too much, try every week to get the bigger picture and not worry too much about daily variations.

Your macros looks normal on a vegan or near vegan diet. As long as you keep a calorie deficit, you'll lose weight. You can try to tweak it a bit after a while and see what happens, but higher protein intake (20-30%) would probably require supplements, as vegan protein very often with carbs too. Unless you like tofu very much :P

With the figures you give, you should have lost more than 100 grams. Are you sure your estimates for calorie intake and exercises are right?

What kind of work out you do to spend 1,600 calories ? Looks quite high, unless you're able to train at high intensity for 2 hours.

Don't forget that nutrition is paramount. Make sure to cut all the crap, except rare treats, and shoot for 7-8 portions or fruit and veggies a day. Veggies are everyone's best friend. Get a nice smoothie maker, they're awesome to increase produce intake, then try my favorite recipe: 2 handfuls spinach, 1 banana, soy milk, ginger root, and some nuts

Figures are just figures anyway, keep track of your weight, if it goes down you're going in the right direction. If you feel tired, take it easy at the gym, sleep well or eat more. Listen to your body rather and don't worry too much about figures.