Robert's Consistent Training Log

Well, I'm finally creating a training log. I know, it's about time!

In this section I will post all of my workouts and a few notes or details on the training day in general.

As some of you know, I've taken a little break from training, so today I decided to re-dedicate myself to CONSISTENT training. I've always thought, and experienced, the fact that consistency is probably the #1 factor that determines success or failure in a training or nutrition program.

I talk about consistency all the time, and how vital it is to developing how you want to.

Obviously I have experienced that first hand as well. During my most hardcore, dedicated years in the gym I was seeing amazing results. I was also obsessed with my nutrition program as well, logging all my training and nutrition info. I got stronger, bigger, and better results all aspects of bodybuilding.

Renee's training log inspired me to finally get with it and start my own. I've made it public, rather than keeping it in a word file on my computer or random sheets of paper at home. I'm hoping that have Consistent in the title of my training log will help keep me on my toes and keep me honest, and others can help encourage and motivate me.

I have a busy lifestyle, busier than most other times of my life and to be honest, I've only trained a few times over the past month! And those times were purely for filming, photo shoots, news coverage, and planned events like that, not just a regular old workout.

So I made my return today and I've already verbally told some of my good friends and some guys at the gym that I have "Re-dedicated myself to training today."

Today I started out slow, it has been a while, so I just spend a little less than an hour training back.

In a nutshell, it looked like this:

5-10 sets of pull-ups

5-10 sets of lat pull-downs

3-5 sets of hanging from the pull-up bar

5 sets of T-bar rows

2 sets of hammer strength rows.

I don't recall all the weights that I used, nothing too heavy. Mostly my own bodyweight and a few machines today.

I'm helping an 18 year old kid get into weight training so we're meeting tomorrow and I'll post tomorrow's workout too.

Some posts will be very detailed, this one is short because I'm also re-dedicating myself to more sleep and more food.

I'll be back again soon sharing my next workout.

Robert

Renee,

Yeah, I did plan on creating a food log as well, a nutritional journal. Perhaps a few of us could do that. So I'll start a new thread on my personal nutrition log soon.

Today 7/27/05 I took an 18 year old kid under my wing and showed him around the gym. We trained for about an hour. I didn't do any real heavy lifting although I did get some good sets in.

I basically did 1 or 2 sets of the following exercises:

Lat pull-downs

Machine rows

Hammer strength rows

Machine flys

Hammer strength chest press

Cable cross overs

Cable one arm bicep curls

Rope tricep extensions

Tricep kick backs

Machine Preacher curls

Machine Shoulder press

Just machines and cables today to get him used to the gym.

We'll hit legs tomorrow. I bet he'll be sore, hehehe, but we took it easy, mostly just how to do the movements and how to use the equipment.

We'll get to free weights soon.

-Robert

Since I re-dedicated myself to consistent training, I've trained for 4 days in a row. I've pretty much done total body workouts each time because I've been showing my friend around the gym. He's never spent time in a gym lifting weights before so I'm teaching him how to do the exercises, use the machines, and general info about weight training.

Nothing has been too intense so far. I did some somewhat heavy leg presses yesterday and pushed it hard on shoulder press today, but mostly just going through the motions this first week back after nearly a month off.

But I'm back training consistently and that was and is my goal.

Saturday and Sunday will be rest days, but Monday should be an actual full workout, so I look forward to it!

I Trained Tues, Wed, Thur and Friday and then took Sat and Sun off. I was back at it yesterday (Monday) and trained mostly upper body. I'm showing my friends around the gym so I don't do my normal workouts, but I'll get back into a normal routine soon.

So I did bench press, pec deck machine, pull-ups, t-bar rows, lat pull-downs, lateral raises, front raises and tricep rope extensions. I also did a bunch of sit-ups, push-ups and I hung from the bar for 1:29, my best time recently.

Back at it today to train legs

Since I got back on track with my training I haven't missed a scheduled training session yet, so that is encouraging.

Today I trained back. It was pretty short because I had a busy evening, but I still managed to do the following:

Hung from the pull-up bar for 1:42, a new record time for me!

3-5 sets of pull-ups, wide and narrow grip 10-20 reps

3-5 sets of cable rows 10-20 reps

3-5 sets of t-bar rows 10-20 reps

3 sets of lat pull-downs 10-15 reps

1 set of lower back extensions 20 reps

--------------------------------------------------------

I had a leg workout on Tuesday that went well.

I did 3-5 sets of squats, with no weight

5 sets of leg extensions 10-15 reps

4 sets of leg press 8-15 reps

3 sets of seated hamstring curls 10-15 reps

3 sets of standing calf raises 10-20 reps

I also did push-ups and sit-ups before the back and leg workouts.

Back at it tomorrow!

• 2 weeks later...

I've had some great workouts lately and still haven't missed a scheduled day since I started this Training Journal

I trained back the other day and did over 120 pull-ups during the workout. I also did t-bar rows, cable rows, some extensions for the lower back and a few lat-pull downs.

This week I also had a sweet leg workout.

5 sets of leg presses

5 sets of leg extensions

3 sets of squats

3 sets of calf raises

Workouts are going well, they are fun, and I've seen a bunch of my friends at the gym as well so that helps make each day even that much more fun.

I'm off today and tomorrow but hit it hard again Monday morning.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update.

I still haven't missed a single scheduled workout since I started this training journal.

I know I haven't posted too many of my workouts but I'll try to do it more.

I'll also work on that nutrition log I said I'd start.

Anyway, thanks for the motivation, it keeps me going.

Legs tomorrow! Yay!

I'm still keeping on track and today I did a chest workout with Shawn, the 18 year old guy I've been training with for the past 6 weeks or so.

I was able to use 100-lb dumbbells for dumbbell chest press today. I haven't been able to do 100's in a while but my consistent training got me about 5 reps with the 100's today. I know it's not real heavy and in the past I used to be able to press 100's on the incline without a spotter, but these days I'm a little lighter and not quite as strong, but catching up again.

So it felt pretty good.

On top of the heavy/intense chest workout, I also did 715 push-ups today and 1,065 sit-ups.

I'd say it was a pretty good day of fitness for me.

In my workout today I did:

5 sets of dumbbell Presses:

55's x 15 reps

70's x 12 reps

80's x 10 reps

90's x 6 reps

100's x 5 reps

4 sets of incline barbell press

100 x 12 reps

120 x 10 reps

120 x 8 reps

100 x 8 reps

4 sets of pec-dec sqeeze

135 x 15 reps

135 x 12 reps

different machine

70 x 12 reps

70 x 12 reps

Also did 2 shoulder pressing exercises

6 sets of shoulder press on two different machines

100 x 10 reps

90 x 10 reps

100 x to reps

different machine

50 x 10 reps

50 x 10 reps

50 x 10 reps

Back attack tomorrow!

-Robert

• 2 weeks later...

I pressed 100's again during a chest workout this week.

I also did about 100 pull-ups during my back workout the next day.

Today I worked on Legs. I did low weights with high reps. Just wanted to mix it up a bit and focus more on full range of motion.

I did 5 or 6 sets of Leg Press, each set for 15-25 reps.

Then I did about 4 sets of hack squats, around 20 reps per set.

Then one leg standing hamstring curls, about 5 sets of 20 reps each leg

Lying hamstring curls were next, 4-5 sets of 20 reps

Finally 5-6 sets of standing machine calf raises.

I was there for a good 1 hour 30 minutes and then took in the following:

1 Clif Builder Bar

10 ounces of Orange Juice with L-Glutamine and Creatine powders

1 Large plate of pasta with an entire package of Tofu, lettuce, cabbage, carrots

I'll eat a bit more and then head to bed.

I still haven't missed a scheduled workout since I started this log back on July 27th and today is September 13th so I'm doing a pretty good job. I've also put on nearly 10 pounds and setting some personal bests in lifts. So another reason why consistency is the most important aspect of training.

In the past I've gone through spurts of consistent training and then had to take time off because of injuries, work, traveling, or just plain lazy like using the internet or napping instead of training.

So now I'm back on track and hope to stay on track for a while!

Currently I train 4 days a week

Monday = Chest/shoulders (pressing)

Tuesday = Back/abs

Thursday = Legs

Friday = Arms/Shoulders (pulling)

Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday are rest days and I do some cardio every once in a while too.

• 1 month later...

I've still been consistent with my training, just not consistent on the forum about keeping it updated online.

I've only missed 2 scheduled training sessions since I started this thread back in July, and the only reason I missed them was because I was traveling to and from Canada to do a talk up there with the Vegan Fitness Team.

Topher and I have been training together ever since he got here. We don't always train "together" sometimes we're focusing on different things and we have different styles of training, but we do help each other out quite a bit.

I've also only missed one day of push-ups and situps since July. My record is 839 consecutive days (over 2 years without ever missing a day of doing them). I started again in July and then one day in August I forgot to do them. So since August 12, I still haven't missed day. It reminded me how tough it was to always remember to do them before midnight. An easy solution would be to do them upon waking but as we all know, we don't always feel like it.

So anyway, no worries, I haven't been slacking. Just been busy with other things and sometimes forget to update my online training log.

P.S. I also added about 16 pounds since June when I filmed my movie, so being consistent is a MAJOR KEY TO SUCCESS!!

-Thin Thin Consistent Him