Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 628 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 42  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:06 pm 
Site Admin

Finally Famous, by Robert Cheeke “Famous Vegan Bodybuilder”

Like a child who wants to be a doctor, or a teacher, or a firefighter, or anything else when they grow up; I always wanted to be famous. I was driven to entertain, to be in the spotlight, and always sought out fame. A lot of people want something, but don’t really believe it. When you start to believe it and when you work so hard for it and dedicate your life to it, it’s the greatest feeling in the world when you start to make it. It’s watching your dreams unfold before your eyes not because of luck, but because you put everything you had into something that you believed in.

For half a decade I’ve been working on building my own company, Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness (www.veganbodybuilding.com), and building up my own reputation, as I work to save animal lives. I took a concept that was virtually unheard of and in some industries and in some regions, I have made it mainstream.

I’m 26 years old now and feel like I have finally arrived! I’ve spent so many years, days, hours, etc. training, working, writing, traveling, speaking, competing, worrying, challenging myself, and everything else to put Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness and Robert Cheeke on the map. Not for selfish reasons, but to put myself in a position to influence literally millions of people. I’m very proud of the fact that I started from scratch, that I didn’t have a lot of help and that I did things my own way. I took risks, I took chances, and I put a lot of things on the line. I risked failure, I was susceptible to ridicule, and dared to be different because I wanted to create change. My mission has been to challenge authority and speak for those who can’t be heard. And what better way to spread that message than from someone famous, by someone who can have a positive impact on so many people because of a reputation surrounding them.

Since moving to Portland, OR a few months ago, I’ve quickly become one of the most influential vegans in the #1 vegan-friendly city in America. It feels great. I get recognized pretty much everyday whether I’m walking down the street, or in a store, or at a restaurant or other places. I feel like I paid my dues and put in the work and time it took to get to where I am now. The best part is that it’s all for a greater cause, saving animals lives and promoting a cruelty-free lifestyle all over the world.

Growing up I always wanted to be “famous” as a professional wrestler on TV. That didn’t work out but it jump-started my career in bodybuilding. Now I’ve been in over 1 million magazine issues from 20 magazine features, including 1 cover and 4 inside covers from magazines in the US, Canada, Germany, Denmark and the UK. I’ve been on TV all over the country, in a documentary that has been sold to people in more than 15 countries, on the radio, in newspapers, and on over 100 websites (Google Robert Cheeke for fun). I’m featured as a “famous” person on www.famousveggie.com as well as other similar sites.

I don’t want people to get mad at me or think that I’m arrogant or something like that. Being famous is something I wanted from when I was little. So it’s exciting to see it finally happen. I worked really, really hard, and of course like many, was told it would never happen for me. Even just yesterday I was walking down the street and someone said, “it’s the famous vegan” as they passed by. I get comments like that on a regular basis and it really is a good feeling. It is also great to have kids come up to me wanting to meet me because they’ve seen my movie or seen me somewhere else. Some restaurants give me free food or “VIP” treatment, and that is a nice reward for so many years of dedicated work for the cause.

Moving to Portland last summer was life changing for me. I was able to organize the Vegan Vacation and the Vegan Holiday Festival, which brought more than a thousand people together to celebrate veganism. It reached far greater than just the community here as we had a film crew, a newspaper, a radio station, a photographer all there to capture our ground breaking events to share them with people all over. One of the most well-known and influential vegans in the Northwestern United States wrote to me, “Robert, I have seen a lot of guys out there but no one with as much dedication to
the cause.” To me that speaks volumes about the efforts I’ve put forth for the animals, the environment, and our planet.

I’m sure my mini-fame annoys some people, but I think most people have no idea what it takes to set real goals and work extremely hard to achieve them. Some goals take 10 years or more to achieve. Five years ago I told people I’d be on the cover of a fitness magazine. It took me a full five year period to do it, but I finally did it! I worked very, very hard to have my name help support a very worthy cause. The dedication that it takes to stick with specific goals for such a long period, through the failures, through the challenges, through all the obstacles, and then achieve them, is a feeling I wish most people could experience. Should I feel guilty about my self promotion to help get me where I want to be, to achieve the goals I set for myself? Absolutely not. Nearly all of my time and my energy and my money and everything about me goes into promoting a compassionate way of living and makes a difference for animals and people all over the world that I’ll never get a chance to meet.

Of course I’m only well known in the vegan community and a bit in the fitness community but it is still exciting and a lot of fun. I’m doing what I can to help promote veganism and to build up my own company so I can do more for the community. I use my name and my reputation and accomplishments to support the vegan movement. I know it’s working based on the thousands of e-mails I receive and the stories that I hear from others who have changed their life to help save other lives because I was able to influence them in some positive way.

If you see me around town, or in your city or at an event, feel free to say hi. I always enjoy meeting new people. Thank you for supporting me and my mission to increase global awareness of a cruelty-free lifestyle.

Robert Cheeke
www.veganbodybuilding.com

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

Last edited by robert on Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:03 pm 
Site Admin

Hey, you work hard to get recognition and for the right reasons. You're a good representative for veganism.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:29 am 
Glad to see all this work is getting you where you wanted and saving lots of animals...I know I'm a much happier person thanks to you and my whole mentality has changed since being on this forum. Its become a part of daily life I hate to miss...it really stinks when I know I won't be able to get online to enjoy my friends from around the world.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:36 am 
Site Admin

I feel the same way! I love to check in with my online family everyday. If I travel, I miss all my friends here.

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:10 am 
Site Admin

Topic:

Burrito Boy

I've had 9 burritos over the past 4 days. All of them are very big, hearty burritos. I'm still eating tons of raw stuff (Chef Ani is living with me right now) and I'm eating Thai food and other main dishes. I also put in 4 Vega bars one day recently (1000 calories from them), but the burritos have really helped me but on some weight lately.

I'm slowly getting heavier and I think thick smoothies and dense burritos, along with my training will be main factors.

Tomorrow I'll take a burrito break.

Sometime in January I'll do a 3 or 4-day cleanse.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:26 pm 
You need to so a vega smoothie for thick shakes...this means 4 vega bars with 2 servings of powder and half a cup of soymilk...that'll be nice and thick they way you need it to be

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:08 am 
Site Admin

Topic: 10,000 e-mails!

I've had about 10,000 e-mails related to Vegan Bodybuilding over just the past 2 years. I often have to go clean out my e-mail and today I started with just one folder that had over 4,000 in it. I'm down to about 3,700 because most are ones I want to keep for various reasons. I have a ton of e-mail accounts and received about 5,000 e-mails just on myspace in the past year.

Don't get me wrong, I love all the e-mails, I just never dreamed I'd get so popular to get so many! In 2003 I was happy to get 3 in one month. Now I get over 100 in one day sometimes!

Thanks for all the support, I always save the good ones! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:44 am 
Site Admin

I was looking back through old photos on my computer today and decided that this may be my best photo. It is from 2003, one week before my first bodybuilding conest:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:32 pm 
Site Admin

I'm really relieved to have the Summer Shape-Up Challenge Results up!

I really felt bad about it every single day over the past few months. I just got too busy, sidetracked, distracted to get it all done.

All the contestants were super nice and understanding. Now I can post other photos. I have a bunch I've been meaning to get online.

So I'll get on that soon.

All is well with me, just taking things easy this week. I'm still a bit busy, but taking things easy none-the-less.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:05 am 
Site Admin

Topic:

Only in Portland:

I wasn't even thinking about it as a "special vegan day" but here is what I did today:

I had breakfast with the President of NW Veg and Bo Rinaldi at Blossoming Lotus.

Then I did some grocery shopping at Whole Foods.

Then I went to Food Fight! and bought some special gifts there.

On the way home I stopped by Herbivore.

Then for dinner I met up with 3 other forum members at Blossoming Lotus.

Only in Portland! So many sweet vegan places visited today and I wasn't even trying. I was just going about my normal day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:11 am 
Mastodon

I think I'll move there, you should let me send mail to your house so I can get in state tuition in a year or 6 months or whatever.

335 Squat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:19 am 
Site Admin

6214 NE 12th Ave
Portland, OR 97211
USA

Bring it on!

We've had more forum members stay here than I can keep track of. Some travel through, one stayed a month, we hosted 5 during the last Vegan Vacation, and 2 of them are here currently (playing Street Fighter II Turbo at the moment).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:33 am 
Mastodon

robert wrote:
6214 NE 12th Ave
Portland, OR 97211
USA

Bring it on!

We've had more forum members stay here than I can keep track of. Some travel through, one stayed a month, we hosted 5 during the last Vegan Vacation, and 2 of them are here currently (playing Street Fighter II Turbo at the moment).

Awesome, I'm seriously thinking of coming there for school. Not sure how yet, or where. I just know I want to be in an area that's vegan friendly. Also, I am considering nutrition/dietetics but not the "you need your meat, eggs, and dairy" type. I am trying to figure out if Portland has schools like that.

335 Squat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:59 pm 
Site Admin

I wanted to brag about my immune system but I guess I'll have to put that on hold. I've been hanging around a lot of people who have been sick, including my roommate for over a week. I felt fine the whole time and was pretty pleased with myself.

Then, after a few late nights and early mornings, I started to feel sluggish and now I seem to have some sort of illness :(

So I stayed home today, just working on the computer, taking care of some tasks and didn't get out of bed until 11:30AM today :)

I have a busy weekend including a wedding reception to go to, a board meeting and some traveling. Yay me.

So anyway :), I'll have to fight through it.

So much for my posts about being invincible!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:57 pm 
What are you doing staying up late and waking up early with your roomate?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 628 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 42  Next