Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1288 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84 ... 86  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:54 pm 
I definitely had poop legs today so I'm giving them a bit of rest. So this morning I decided to kill my abs...I may do a bit more too. Tomorrow will be a day with lots of easy miles before work...if I don't go crazy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:56 pm 
Elephant

damn, 80 pages on your training journal, now I understand where your 8 thousands posts come from.

Hey man I checked your interview on the Profile section. I'm curious about one or two things...

You said: "When I’m being really good about my diet I also try my best to eat as little protein as possible to try to break my muscles down and not allow them to build back up again. "

Why is it so important for you (or for any cyclist ?) not to have to much lean mass? I guess it's just a matter of total bodyweight, like the importance of being light in sports like Formula One and horse racing. Is there another reason?

Also, do you consider that the fact of smoking pot increase your performances as an athlete, or decrease ? if it has no effect physically, perhaps it helps you psychologically, which then improve your performance ?

I like the way you said : "I like the fact that I can wake up every day knowing I’m not going to be responsible for killing others. I only wish those other people woke up every day thinking about they animals they kill on a daily basis. "
I'm thinking about paraphrasing this in a blog I wanna write about veganism, you along with some quotes of Einstein, Huxley, Ghandi and H.G. Wells.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:05 pm 
Power to weight ratio is everything. A cyclist's power is measured in watts and a 100lb cyclist pushing 200watts will demolish a 200lb cyclist pushing 400 watts every time unless the road is perfectly flat and there is not need for slowing and accelerating. I'm at a huge disadvantage in that most of the people I'm competing with are under 160lbs...when I get to the next level many of my competitors will be under 140...some under 130. So thats why I don't want any of the mass of muscle I have now. It doesn't do me any good. Actually it does few cyclists much good which is why cyclists that are naturally very thin can often get away with athletes anorexia while still competing at a top level. Its worth it to lose a lot of power if you lose weight with that power. I'd be willing to lose 35% of my power if I could lose 30% of my weight.

Unless you're always stressed out...I don't see how smoking pot can make you a better athlete. If stress is causing you to do poorly...smoking pot may help you...otherwise you'll probably only hurt yourself...unless you only use in moderation. When it comes to pot smoking I wouldn't do it since its illegal for athletes. If I'm gonna risk taking an illegal drug it'll surely be one that'll give me much more endurance/power. If it wasn't illegal and had no ill physical effects I may be willing to smoke(I have but the last time was 12 years ago). If pot helps you that much mentally then I say go for it...but chances are you could tackle those problems another way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:11 pm 
I had a great ride today. The winds were relatively calm and it was only the second day of the year that I've gotten away without gloves, sleeves or knee covers. Anyhow I really laid it down today. I put in 80 hard miles with a good amount of climbing. And I really suprised myself when I checked my cycling computer near home. I averaged 19mph...normally I average 18 at most so thats quite a difference considering I wasn't using aero wheels.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:58 pm 
Elephant

I was surprised while reading your answer to my question about smoking pot, and first I didn't understand... I don't smoke that neither, but you know why I asked you this question? you're gonna laugh (or at least laugh at me ) I always tought you were a cyclist that smoke marijuana every evening to relax after a long ride! lol. I guess it's because I'm French and I mix up some words like your nickname Veganpotter and also from what I've read on your myspace page many months ago "I'm a potter, but not any potter, a vegan potter"...
I was laughing at myself when yesterday I finally understood what you meant by potter. I knew since the beginning you were doing pottery but I never made the connection between pottery and potter !

Now it's gonna take me some time to think as you as someone making pottery rather than someone smoking marijuana.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:55 pm 
Nope...I just make pots....I don't do pot :D Although I think you'd be surprised how many pot smoking endurance athletes there are out there. I went to school with a few guys that are near world class marathon runners...all of whom smoked pot and now smoke even more. I'm also an acquaintance of a runner with two Olympic Medals(one gold) in the sprints who was smoking a little over 2 weeks before the 2004 Olympics in Sydney(I saw it myself and couldn't believe he was doing that so close to the games)....I'm very good friends with one of his very good friends.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:12 pm 
I had a good day in the aero bars today...nothing too intense...just making sure I'm re acclimated after not riding it much the past few weeks. I wound up doing a few longer intervals(just over race intensity for obviously for shorter sessions) but didn't kill myself. Basically a not so easy and not so hard 34mile ride before work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:30 pm 
I had a great last ride before my race. Nice and hard intervals with modest rest. I'm feeling good and strong. I did a nice hilly route and put in 52 miles in about 2:55. I'll try to stay off my feet as much as possible tomorrow...hopefully I have some luck doing that. It looks like the thunder won't hurt my race but it may be wet(that actually makes for faster times since there's less friction on the road). Unfortunately the forecast is calling for 14-16mph winds...out here that means 25mph winds...hopefully this place has better meteorologists. It shouldn't hurt me too bad if it stays a side wind like the forecast states but I doubt things will be that perfect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:44 pm 
Elephant

ah hahahahahaha! (at the pot stuff.) :D

Jeremy makes great pottery! I have some of his work.

Good luck with your race! ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:20 am 
Thanks :D Hopefully I have good news when I get back late Sunday afternoon 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:17 am 
Elephant

veganpotter wrote:
Thanks :D Hopefully I have good news when I get back late Sunday afternoon 8)

I'm in a 5k race on Sunday morning. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:55 am 
Elephant

If you know where I could find a thing like you wear with the "go vegan" banner, tell me ! I'd like to wear one of those this summer so when I outpass other cyclists or maybe even cars they understand what true power is by reading on my butt Go Vegan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:08 pm 
Good Luck Pamela...I want to see some good times :wink:

I'm Your Man...look at organicathlete.org You can get the gear there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:25 pm 
Elephant

I knew about organic athletes team but I never would have tought about looking at their clothes on website, thanks. Wow those clothes are really amazing, and it's a combination of elements I've always love : spirals, and the word "organic". I'll buy some cycling clothes there for sure, thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:30 am 
You should become a member...its cheaper to buy the clothes...if you buy the gear under the OA discount you'll pretty much pay for nearly half the membership...plus the money goes to a great organization.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1288 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84 ... 86  Next