Go Gaia!

Gaia

Leg day: didn't want to go to the gym, but I did of course.

Nobody hardly there, this is always nice for me (no waiting for equipment).

The big guy with the american flag pants talked to me today. Said I looked like I could bench press a car! I smiled and told him maybe a small car . Then he wrangled my neck just like the guys do to one another. I guess I'm getting to be in the big boys club. Later on, when he was on the seated leg curl, he proceeded to sing out load to his ipod and the lyrics of doing something to his dick during the flick came out and I just smiled. Yeah buddy, you said it out loud. I wonder if it was heavy metal or hip hop .

Leg Extension: 90/25warmups, 150/15, 180/11, 210/8+2 (8 strict form with 2 slightly less form, heck the last one was all face muscles!), and for fun I tried to do the whole stack 225/4!

Leg Curl: 90/25warmups, 150/12+3, 160/10+2, 170/8, and again for fun I tried the whole stack 200/4.

Leg Press: 450/12, 500/8+2(hands on the knees), and finally 540/6+2 (back to my 6 45's on each side! which I was doing during my omnivore days! ).

Leg Press Calf Raises:360/50 X 4 (hard to keep my knees from locking)

Seated Calf Raises: 90/25 X 4

Plie (Power) Squats (feet point straight out to the side and knees wide open like in a ballet plie) 90/25 X 4

Legs are killing me right now at around three hours later. I did good!

Weight was 177 (lost some because I don't feel like eating and am forgetting to eat when I am suppose to. Trying to write down what I am eating too and the time, but this is the second day of doing this and lost track in the afternoon).

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shoulder day: legs still feel full, but not sore. Still don't feel like eating, but I did get a Rice dream bar in yum!

Had only 45 minutes to do shoulders, so I put on the ipod, but Chicka still talked to me for about five minutes. I can't help but talk to Chicka, she is so cool. The trainer and his gang were back in the gym again. The new guy waved at me and I waved back, but didn't have time to explain the equipment to him like I did yesterday.

Hammer Strength Shoulder Press: 50/25warmups, 70/15, 90/10, 100/8, just to push it 110/4+2

Dumbbell laterals: 10/25warmups, 15/15, 20/15, 25/10, 30/8

Smith Press Military Press: 70/10+1, 75/10, and then quickly 50/to failure which was 10

Bent Over Cable Rear Delt Row (the other rear delt was being used for Pec Flyes by three guys so I opt for this one instead): 10/15warmups, 15/12, 20/8+2, 25/ 6

Front EZ barbell Laterals: Bar/15, 5/15, 10/12, at this point my wrist were hurting/actually the back of my hand on the pinky side smarted. Thought I'd try the EZ barbell just for fun. My wrists and back hand muscles were screaming and now three hours later hurt alot and look swollen already. New muscles are being made at least!

Shoulders don't feel fatigued like last time. I tried to lift just heavy today, and not alot of sets to fatigue the muscles. Next time I will have time to fatique the delts till they hurt.

Chest and Bicep Day: Went around the 5:00 time and it was of course busy at the gym. Shoulders hurt, and the hand (but it feels much better than last night. Trauma oil to the rescue again). Had a long nap (about one hour) this afternoon: recovery time.

Hammer Strength Wide Chest Press: 90/25warmups, 180/15, 200/8+1, 220/6 (Goal next time is 8 on 220, trying to go for 270-three 45lb plates on each side)

Cybex Flyes: 70/15, 90/6+2 (Chest fatigue already!)

LifeFitness Chest Press (Dumbbell grip): 105/6+2 (Chest pumped enough)

Bicep Cable Barbell Curl: 60/25warmups, 80/15, 100/10, 110/8, and for fun 120/5 (150 is the whole stack-my goal!)

Dumbbell Hammer Curl: 20/15, 25/12, 30/8, and for fun 35/4 then 25/12 and 15/10 (failure)

The for fun sets did my biceps in for the day, so that was all. Not alot of sets today. More of an intensity of lifting heavy today. Just want to get in and rip some fibers in the chest and bicep area and leave. Weather was gray today and not a real motivation gimmick for me. More of a sleep day.

I just want to move the weight during my bulking stage. Get big as fast as possible by pushing the machines with as much poundages as I can handle. I leave the free weights for shaping, and getting the secondary muscles in shape, during my cutting phase.

I am not so into strength. I just want the looks. I've hurt myself in the past (shoulder injury left me out for three months) and so I am real careful. I just want to get my main muscles big first, and then in January it is time for free weights and cardio ( yuck!).

No offense mate, but you really need to ditch the machines and move onto free weights. Seriously!

There is not more effective way of building muscle and strength than basing your routine around good compound lifts like:

Squats

Deadlift

Bench

Powercleans

Push press

Bent over rows

Narrow grip bench

Snatches

Good mornings

And various other free weight exercises

You just won't progress as quickly using machines, and you leave yourself open to injury as all the lifts you are doing are on machines with 1 plane of motion. Using free weights means that the weight has to be stabilised, building the secondry muscles far more effectively.

As I said, with free weights and decent technique, you have a lower chance of injuring yourself. You cannot 'shape' muscles - this is a bodybuilding myth. They grow according to your genetic blueprint.

I wish you all the best of luck with your training, but I seriously hope that you radically change it.

Jonathan

Today is an off day. Time to repair. My shoulders still smart (especially when I go to lie down on my side to sleep and they remind me that they still hurt). I looked at my back today and saw that between my shoulder blades looks littler than the rest. Have to hold my arms up higher on a back row.

I'll do free weights come January. I know I am getting max size on the main muscle groups from how sore I am, and the intensity that I work at. And my genetics is very good for building muscles. Sometimes too much (like my glutes and stomache. I don't work them till the end of cutting season for definition). Besides I am just a girlie girl and I don't know what to do with those big free weights.

Don't play the girlie girl card with me - my wife has trained for two years now with just free weights!!

Soreness is not really something to aim for - it doesn't mean that you are building muscle, only that you are not used to the exercise. The best judge of progress is a consistant increase in the amount of weight lifted.

Jonathan

There are also a number of women on this board and another one that Jonathan and I frequent who do free weights. (I am one of those.) I agree that free weights rock. I personally think they are much more fun than machines in addition to the other points others have raised. You have done both, yes? Do you like the machines better? What do you do when you do free weights?

Thank you for all your advice Jonathan, I will take it under consideration. FormicaLinoleum, I do free weights, but not at the moment. I am having fun just moving weights with the machines as my guides. I want to just move the main muscle and not worry about all the secondary muscles for stability. That will come later when I begin to sculpt my body into what I want. Then I will do the dumbell incline flyes (my last weight for that was 45's for eight) and deadlifts (can't remember what the weight was for that, but I can remember how I wanted to puke afterwards(have to remember not to eat to soon before I work out)).

Back and Tricep day: went early at 12 noon to 1 pm. Saw my old buddy that does all the mountain biking and snowmobiling in the winter. Said he was going to go to the Rockies and try extreme mountain snowmobiling this Christmas. How cool is that!

Hammer Strength Back Row: 90/25warmups, 180/15, 230/8, tried 250/only 4

Cable Pulldown: 110/15, 130/10, increasing to 140/6+2

Cybex Back Row (pull back to mid back/between shoulder blades to get the lower traps more fuller) 125/12, 137.5/10, 150/8

Cybex Chin-Up: 14/8, too fatigued at this point in the lats.

Hyperextensions: 35lb plate/20 X 4

Shrug Machine: 230/20 X 4

V-bar cable Pushdown: 60/15, 70/10, 8/6

V-bar Cable Overhead Extension: 50/15, 60/10, 70/8

Bench dips: Bodyweight/ 25 X 4

Body is fatigued pretty well. I haven't been taking my protein shakes today since I ran out and my mail order stuff should be here tommorrow. It is a fact for me that I need to have my protein/green superfood shakes to keep me feeling better.

Leg Day again. Since it is Saturday, I went around noon today, and hardly anybody was there again. In fact, nobody was doing legs today! I mixed it up today by starting with the leg press, and then went to the leg ext and leg curl.

Leg Press: 360/15warmups, 450/15, 540/8 (complete! no hand help! thought I'd see how much heavier I could go), 580/ 4+4 (the extra 2 tens on each side hurt the outside of my quads, but with my hands on the outside of my knees I pushed out the extra 4, barely . Could I possibly get to 7 45's on each side by the end of December? maybe for only 4 reps)

Leg Press Calves: 360/50 X 4 (went slowly for the first 25, then whipped out the last 25)

Leg Extension: no warmups, 180/15, 210/10, 225/still at 5

Leg Curl: 150/15, 170/8, 200/4+2 (had a little left in me so I did 2 more with less than strict form, but the grunt was in strict form )

No Plie (Power) Squats today. Outside quads hurt too much and don't need to be further worked to shreds/I pushed it in the leg press today and that's enough for me.

Shoulder Day today and it is a cold day, down below 30 all day. Went to yoga first and I am amazed at how tight I am getting to be. Need to do more of it at home to loosen up my joints (anytime I can't get my hands over my head and bring my palms together easily means I am getting tight in the shoulder girdle).

Mixed up the order from last time.

Smith Press Military Press (I lean back a little in the chair/it is on the second to last hole/emphasizes the front delt): 50/15warmups, 60/15, 70/10, 80/8

Icarian Rear Delts: 40/25warmups, 50/15,60/10,70/6+2

Cable Laterals: 15/15, 20/13, 25/8

Hammer Strength Shoulder Press: 90/10, 100/8

Straight Barbell Front Delt Raises: 30/15, 40/10, 50/8

Icarian Shoulder Press (Dumbbell Grip): 60/15, 70/12, 80/8

Shoulders are done and throbbing. I want to do Upright rows again. Should I do them when I do Back? or when I do Shoulders? maybe Back cause by the time shoulders are done doing all the above they are pretty well wiped out. With my Back workout, I might be able to lift heavier.

Rest Day. I took a nap for about two hours today (though I did get up at 5:30 a.m. this morning). I feel sore, big/fat, and grouchy today. Battle of the hormones probably. That and winter has settled in Michigan for good, with a high of 23 degree F today and horizontal snow. I also do not want to eat! I am forcing myself to even eat a bagel and like Jonathan I am just drinking my shakes for the protein and what carbs they give me. Low day for me.

Chest and Bicep day: Still sleepy today. Drank some green tea before heading for the gym, so I had a little energy to get me going.

Hammer Strength Wide Chest Press: 90/25warmups, 180/15, 200/10, 230/5 (one more than last time)

Cybex Flyes: 80/15, 90/8, tried the 100/5+1(leaning forward on this one)

Incline Smith Press (#3 on the bench): 80/15, 90/solid 8!

LifeFitness Chest Press (dumbbell grip): 105/11(tried real hard to get 12 ), 120/6+2 (upped it up a notch!)

Cable Flyes: 50/just 8 and my chest was done (I could only do 8 pushups, that's enough for me!)

EZ barbell Bicep Curl: 20/15warmups, 30/10

Dumbbell Hammer Curl: 25/15, 30/8+2, 35/4(a little too hard to get up in strict form)

Cable Curl: 110/8, 120/6

Overhead Cable Curl: 5/10, 4/10, 3/10 decreasing weight set/rep of 10

Day is done.

Back and Tricep day: I had to go around 6 pm and the gym was full.

Hammer Strength Back Row: 90/25warmups, 180/15, 220/10, and 250/8

Cable Pulldown: 110/15, 130/10, and could not do the 140 today, pushed to hard on the 130 (maybe if I rested longer but I wasn't feeling the strength in my lats anymore)

Hyperextensions: 35/20 X 4

Shrugs: 250 (some guy had on 35s instead of 25's over the two 90s, and instead of taking them off I just jumped in with him)/20 X 4

Cybex Back Row: 125/12, 137.5/10, 150/8

Cybex Pull-Up: 14/solid 8 but no more. My back was a mass of hurt

Biked for 10minutes and rubbed my back on the seat to try and ease the tightness out of it, and then on to triceps

Cable V-bar Pushdown: 60/15, 70/10, and 8/4+2 (struggling with this)

(Extra fun I did Cable Rope Pushdowns: 60/15, 50/10, 40/10 at failure)

Cable V-bar Overhead: 50/15, 60/8, 70/8

Bench dips: Bodyweight (180)/25 X 4

Didn't feel well after today. May have been too much after pushing hard at yesterday's upper body workout of chest and biceps (brachilias hurts again today). That or I am going to have a nasty PMS this time. Emotions are all over the place, so it is probably going to be a painful weekend all around. Cramp bark tea helped last time (I went and bought myself a pound of the stuff, so maybe I will be OK).

Rest day. I like the two days on, one day off cycle. I rested most of the day to try and feel better. But I am getting so sick of eating, eating, and eating. I am now looking forward to January 1 and dieting and doing cardio (I will have to come back to this entry to remind myself in March when I am so sick of dieting ).

Leg Day: few people at the gym being that it is a Friday. Internet musik was out, so they had two CDs being played loudly. One was heavy metal and the other was hip hop. From screaming guitars and lyrics about bitches to the hip hop girl's lyrics of explicit sexual favors she was expecting, it was the first time I noticed I was the only girl in the gym at that time. Just for a split second it bothered me, but heck I am just there to lift weights, and at 180 I am one big bitch . So off I went to do my leg extensions this time (leg press was first last time).

Leg Extension: 90/25warmup, 180/15, 210/10, and 225/5+1 (whole stack with one more than last time). Still not warmed up really well so I did 120/25 and 135/15, and they were pumped after that.

Leg Press Calf Raises:360/50 X 4 (did these in between leg ext and leg curl sets)

Leg Curl: 90/25 warmups, 150/15, 160/12, 170/8, 200/4+2 (whole stack but not one more. still struggling), and an extra 120/8 and fatigue set in.

Leg Press: 450/12+3, 540/8, and did another PB with 590/4+4 (put 25's on each side, instead of looking for four 10's. a PB cause I was lazy ).

Seated Calf Raises: 115/25, 125/15, 150/8 (hurt the top of my thighs-guads are alittle sensitive at this point. Have to find a new calf exercise. they are the only muscle not growing fast like the rest of the body).

Plie (Power) Squats: 90/25 X 4 (inside middle quad muscle was screaming through the last five reps of each set).

Done with legs. They feel wasted and so do I. I was thinking of trying to do shoulders today too, but it took me an hour already and I just wanted to go home.

Started running the track with the kids today also. Only 15 laps around (less than a mile but around 15 minutes of cardio) with my kids passing me around every 2nd lap. Just wait, in two months I will be kicking their little soccer @sses! My plan is to increase cardio by 5 minutes for the week, so I can be up to 30 minutes by Janurary. Then I will work up to 45 minutes of cardio/treadmill jogging actually, which seems to drop the pounds fast for the first twenty or so (then I usually plateau ).

Shoulder Day: had an hour in between dropping off and picking up my son for driver's training driving, so I popped into the gym early.

Hammer Strength Shoulder Press: 50/25warmups (not warming up!), 70/15, 90/10, 100/8+1(to try and do one more than last time/pitiful), and for fun I did 70/failure at 6.

Dumbbell Laterals: 10/25warmups, 15/15, 20/15, 25/10+2(starting to warmup and feeling it), 30/8 with right away 10/failure at 15.

Smith Press Military Press: 50/15warmup, 70/10, 80/couldn't do 8 like last time, did only 5. Bummed.

Cable Rear Delts: 15/15, 20/12(doing well with these since the last time I did them), and pushed to 25/8 (new weight).

Barbell Front Raise: 30/15 (very light), 40/15, 50/10 (new weight).

Time to go and get my son. Wanted to do Icarian Dumbbell Grip Shoulder Press, but I'll leave it for next time. No cardio today or tommorrow since I started my . and will be lethargic if I do too much.

Yesterday was an off day. Took a long Sunday nap, and the sun was shining on me when I awoke (I love that! ).

Chest and Bicep Day: Have to go early since I will be running with the kids around the track, and the 8th grade Christmas concert is tonight (son plays clarinet). Nice crowd in the gym at this hour, they all came in and went right to work and no long talking conversations going on (which is good for me since I usually start them ).

Hammer Strength Wide Chest Press: 90/25warmup, 180/15, 200/10, and 230/6 (had to do one more than last time, but it was an all out maximum effort to get it to go up. definitely ripped a muscle fiber on that one).

Cybex Flyes: 90/15 (this was an oops! it was suppose to be 80/15 but I noticed it after I had done it already and was moving it down for the next set. One way to move the weights up/when I had a partner she would do this to me all the time! she was great that way), 100/8 (three more than last time).

Incline #3 Smith Press: 80/15, 90/8, lets push it with the little 2 1/2 lbs weights-95/7.

Cable Flyes: 50/10, 60/8 (way bent over on these, otherwise I wouldn't be able to do them after all the inclines).

Life Fitness Dumbbell Grip Chest Press: 105/11, 120/8 (same as last time/ more solid this time on the execution)

EZ bar Curl: 20/15, 30/12, and a new one 35/8 (40 here I come!)

Dumbbell Hammer Curl: 25/15, 30/ 10, and 35/6 (one more than last time and it was a little rocking motion on the upswing to get it up there-cheated just a little ).

Cable Curl: 110/8, 120/6 (these hurt, but stricted form than last time)

Overhead Curl: 4/15, 5/10, 6/6 (no decending sets this time. 1/2 second contraction peak on these, pretended I was doing the front double bicep pose with the fists touching my ears for the peak contraction).

Plan to do maybe 20 times around the gym track with the kids for around 20 minutes of cardio (20 minutes this week is the plan). Well, still have to do the breakfast dishes since I made lemon blueberry scones this morning for everybody (had one left for an after workout snack! yum !! two more weeks of eating with Sucanat/sugar before the sugarless cutting diet takes over).

Back and Tricep day: Thought I'd mix it up today. Try some free weight stuff and test out the secondary muscles.

T-Bar Row: 25/25, 45/15, 75/12, 90/8 (stance got more bent over as the weight went up. the 90's were short little pull backs. Back lats were smarting).

Straight Arm Lat Pulldowns: 40/20, 50/10 (the little muscle on the side of the lats was screaming, so I stopped doing these).

Stiff-Leg Deadlifts: 70/15, 80/15, 90/12+3 (out of breath and the hamstrings were screaming).

Upright Row: 30/25, 40/20, 50/12 (forearms were screaming at this one, letting my traps get no workout really. Have to add shrugs back next time).

Rope Tricep Pushdown: 40/20, 50/15, 6/10 (splitting the rope at the bottom to get an extra contraction).

EZ Bar Behind the Head Tricep Extensions (Skullcrushers): Bar/25, 10/15, 20/10 (just hit my ponytail, not my skull this time. Triceps were full at this point).

Cybex Assisted Dip: 12/15, 11/12, 10/10 (triceps were full and shaking at this point so I stopped).

It is going to be tough getting back into cardio. I jiggled so much yesterday going around the track that it hurt (it being the jiggly parts ). I am going to go back to yoga tommorrow since it is my day off and run for 20 minutes with the kids again.

It is also going to be different with the free weights since I felt today that all my back parts were not being used to their max since I was being limited by the other muscles (like the forearms for the upright rows instead of the traps). I will add my old back exercises in with the new ones next time so I can keep my weights the same and not loose any muscle mass there.

Today was a rest day. Good thing too, cause my lower back is so tight that it is almost in spasms, but only if I put it in this certain position (so I don't). Great deadlifts yesterday I guess. And my lower traps between my shoulder blades also hurt this morning, from the bent over T-Bar rows I guess. I still went to yoga and had only one tight spasm in the lower back during bridge pose , but I still did the wheel (I like punishment I guess ). We also did handstand and was able to get up assisted, so I can still do that. Goal for 2007 is to be able to do handstand unassisted.

I also ran with the kids. Increased it by one lap, 16 total now, and still in 20 minutes of jogging. Not too much jigglyness today though. Still hurt to jog around and around, with shins hurting and the spasm tightness in my lower back. Breath was going OK, a little shallow at the end of the laps.

Not eating as much today, and I am not going to force myself anymore. I think my body has had enough and at 182 (2 more pounds this week) I am satisfied with how big I am, and I've got alot of work to do to get this layer of fat off me (4 months hopefully will be enough).

Shoulder and Leg Day: lower back is still spasming from the deadlift! and the hamstrings were a little tight. Usually I do legs today and shoulders tommorrow, but I wanted to combine them and see if I can do both on the same day, and do each justice (I like my shoulders huge and my thighs huge for asymmetry ). So today I did shoulders in the morning and legs in the late afternoon (split routine).

Smith Military Press: 50/15, 70/10, 90/4 (my goal is 90/8 solidly), and a descending set of 50/15 right away.

Rear Delt Dumbbell Raise: 10/25, 15/15, 20/15, 25/8, and a descending set of 15/15.

Icarian Standing Deltoid (using a stepmaster step to line my shoulder joint with the cam/mimicking a lateral flye): 10/20, 20/15, 30/12, 40/8, and a descending set of 10/20 (shoulders are now screaming and they are done).

Icarian Hack Squat (hate this machine cause it is so hard on my inner quads! punishment here I am ): B/25warmup, 50/15, 100/15, 150/15 (quads have had enough and my back is hurting/spasm. Have to hold my lumbar in a curve with my tailbone down/llower abs engaged with this machine).

Icarian Lying Leg Curl: 120/15warmup, 160/12, 170/8 (same as last time. Try the Seated Leg Curl next time).

Lifefitness Leg Extension:180/10 (quads can't take this. shaking and not going to be able to do anymore weight).

Leg Press: 450/12+3, 540/8, 590/4+4 (same as last time)

Calf Raise: Leg Press/360/50 X 2, and Seated Calf Raises: 115/25 X 2

No time for Plie Squats/ Next time.

Weight was still 182! Caught a site of myself in the mirror while doing the Hack Squats (facing right into the mirror!). Oh boy, I look really fat !! I haven't cut for five years, I hope four months will be enough time to strip off this fat.

Chest and Bicep day:I do this once a month, it is to keep my ligaments in shape as I keep lifting heavy (especially the "for fun lets see how much I can max out on" sets). I take my middle weight and do 4 sets of 15 reps for each body part (more of a burn and endurance training for the week). Besides it keeps my body guessing/cycling my training.

Smith Press Incline (#3) Press: 70/15 X 4

Cybex Cable Incline (#3) Flyes: 20/15 X 4

LifeFitness Dumbbell Grip Chest Press: 90/15 X 4

LifeFitness Pec Dec: 60/15 X 4

EZ bar Curl: 20/15 X 4

Hammer Curl: 25/15 X 4

Chest was very pumped and still is after an hour later. Biceps were fatigued, but I probably could have done another exercise like Cable Curl, but I had to go and pick up my son, and I was pretty well whipped. I also ran with my little soccer stars (no so little at 12 and 13) this afternoon for 17 times around the gym track (20+ minutes of cardio), and I also went to yoga this morning (nice stretch in the outer thigh area with a twist. . . mmmmm felt wonderful after yesterday's leg day). I am glad tommorrow is rest day because I feel like I have worked my muscles a little too hard (doing both legs and shoulders yesterday and the 4 sets of 15 today).

Rest Day: I started cardio this morning by going on the treadmill for 20 minutes only. Didn't make it to my yoga class today, maybe tommorrow. I did get out the scale, I'll post the results tommorrow. I wrote down everything I ate today and I will say that I am hungry a little as I go to bed, but I did have my shake at 9:00 pm already. I kind of like the hungry feeling, makes me feel like I am already cutting . See how this all goes on a workout day like tommorrow.