Will's Log

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will,

I know you were bumping into some problems updating this page. I'm looking into what the technical issue is but keep trying. I know that when I had that problem I kept trying to copy and paste and it would not let me post, but if I wrote a fresh one, it would work just fine. There must be a ghost inside the forum who doesn't want certain things posted.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing the training log too, which reminds me, I need to go update mine.

Take care bro, thanks for the music and keep training hard in your new Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness t-shirt!

-Robert

Thursday Sep 1 2005

wrist curls with 75 pound barbell

reverse wrist curls with 45 pound barbell

weighted incline situps with 25 pound dumbbell behind head

weighted twisting incline situps with 20 pound dumbbell behind head

several sets of each exercise w/ an average of 20-30 reps per set

Friday Sep 2

leg presses - several sets of around 5 reps at 400 pounds

calf presses - several sets of 15-20 reps at 400 pounds

pullups - around 50 total; about 35-40 of them were supinated and the rest were pronated

Wow, those are some good lifts there. 50 pullups?! Wow

Mon Sep 5

situps, rows, wrist curls, deads

situps - on an incline bench with a 25 lb dumbbell behind my head, did probably about 100 total situps, alternated every 20 or so between straight situps and twisting situps

rows - did about 100 reps on each side with dumbbells (bent over rows leaning over a bench), the heaviest DBs they had at the hotel gym were 50 lbs so I used those. Then used the row machine, and set the weight to where I would fail between the 3rd and 5th rep, I did a few sets that way with each grip (you could hold it with wrists parallel to floor or perpindicular)

wrist curls - with 75 lb barbell and reverse wrist curls with 45 lb bar, I did probably 40 or 50 reps each way

deadlifts - finished with a few light sets of deadlifts, I was pretty tired by the time I got to them, I did about 20 or 30 of them at 175 lbs

Wed Sep 7

seated calf raises, incline situps, preacher curls

seated calf raises - did a bunch of sets of between 10 and 20 reps, total of around 100 reps, did varying weights between each set ranging from 90 to 180 pounds of plates plus whatever the bar weighs

situps - incline bench w/ 25 lb DB behind head, did around 50 reps total alternating between straight and twisting situps every 10 reps

preacher curls - used 2 X 25 lb DBs (50lb total), and did a total of about 70 to 80 reps, alternating between normal preacher curls and hammer preachers every 10 to 12 reps

Sun Sep 4

Went to an amusement park and did a few miles of walking. Then went swimming at the hotel pool for a couple of hours afterwards

This looks like my kind of workout! .....when I'm not in hardcore training mode.

Cool to see people training on vacation. I assume it was speed walking, or was it tourist looking at everything walking?

How are the push-ups coming along? I haven't tried to break my own 700-something record yet, I'll probably try next week. I know are around the 400 mark which is 2nd most on this site I believe.

Take care man (I made a comment about your new Avatar in General Discussion under Topher's Pirate face)

-Rob

Thurs Sep 8

bench press - with 2 x 50 lb dumbbells (100 lbs total)

shoulder press - with 2 X 35 lb dumbbells (70 lbs total)

I did high reps, low weight. I alternated between sets straight for almost 40 minutes (with only about a 10 second breather between sets). In all I did a few hundred reps on each exercise, in sets of around 20 to 25

Tomorrow (Friday) legs and situps, and play some football; then Saturday I'm aiming for 500 pushups

Fri Sep 9

leg presses and calf presses - on sled, 400 pounds, did several sets; next legs day, I'll try for something heavier like 450 lbs

situps - did a bunch of incline situps and twisting inclines with 25 lb db behind my head

Tomorrow I'm going for 500+ pushups. I have a good feeling about accomplishing it this time!

Mon Sep 12

I did the lat pulldown machine for about half an hour straight. I used various bars (bent bar, straight bar, bar with handles perpendicular to bar, etc) and grips (wide, med, close; supinated, pronated). For most of the exercises I set the weight pin between the 6 and 10 settings, I'm not sure how many pounds that corresponds with.

Also my wife got me an MP3 player for the gym. Tonight I loaded it up with a bunch of Earth Crisis. Their first EP "All Out War" is still my favorite

Tues Sep 13

wrist curls - did a bunch with 75 lb bar

reverse wrist curls - did a bunch with a 45 lb bar

situps - hung from a pullup bar and did a bunch of vertical situps

thick grip deadlifts - this was a first for me, and I had to improvise because there aren't any thick grip bars in my gym. What I did was take a curlbar, put a 45lb and 25lb plate on each end (165lbstotal) and then grip the curlbar outside of the plates on the wide part where the plates slide on. My grip felt weak. My back and legs can do a bunch of 165s easily, but I could only hold on to the thick part of the bar for about 5 reps per set before I had to put it down and give my hands a rest. After a few 165 lb sets, I dropped the 25s and did 115 lb sets (2 x 45 lb plates + 25 lb bar). I went for a couple of high rep sets like this and could really feel it burn in my grip muscles

Also, I ordered a CoC gripper and a wrist roller bar. I can't wait to try them out when they arrive

Edited by willpeavy

Wed Sep 14

rows - http://exrx.net/WeightExercises/BackGeneral/DBBentOverRow.html - did sets of 10 reps with 70 lb dumbells, around 100 reps total

wrist roller - with 15 lbs attached rolled it back and forth for about 10-15 minutes

one leg squats - did a total of about 50 reps in sets of 10

calf raises - http://exrx.net/WeightExercises/Soleus/LVSeatedCalfRaise.html - did a few sets, total of around 30-40 reps at 165 lbs

Edited by willpeavy

Sat Sep 17

pullups - The biggest set I did was 18 reps, with a total of 60 pullups for the night. I'll try again for the 20 rep set next Saturday

music - listened to music from the Rocky movies' soundtrack tonight

Also my wife bought me this today - http://www.altusathletic.com/product_default3.asp?product_id=91 . I'll be able to do some leg and oblique exercises with it that I'm unable to do at my gym. Plus I'm going to try using it to do some exercises that I already do with free weights. For example, I'll be able to do an exercise that works sort of like an incline fly that turns into a pullover - and all in one fluid movement. I want to try doing chest presses and rows in a more circular, fluid motion with it to see how that hits my muscles differently than it does when I use dumbbells or barbells

I'm going to try to keep track of my daily eating habits in this log too. Here's today:

breakfast - oatmeal and orange juice

lunch - chili (pinto beans, tomatoes, onions, chili powder, sesame oil, flax oil), and water with creatine (approx. 3 grams)

snack - a few handfuls of mixed nuts, and some more water

dinner - pasta with peas and sun dried tomatoes, and water

snack - some bananas, handful of mixed nuts, more chili, and water

Sun Sep 18

wrist roller - rolled for about 15 minutes straight with 20 lbs on the end of the rope

thick grip deadlifts - 2" grip, 165 lbs, several sets, 100 reps total

wrist curls - a few sets, around 30 reps total at 80 lbs

reverse wrist curls - a few sets, around 50 reps total at 45 lbs

music - listend to the Rocky soundtrack again. It's the best workout music

food - I don't remember everything I ate yesterday exactly, but it included: tacos (beans, lettuce, tomato, salsa), a large container of mixed nuts, soy yogurt, bananas, chili, mac and chreese (chreese is non-dairy cheese) and lots of water

Edited by willpeavy

Mon Sep 19

I tried out the new Altus door gym my wife got me. I spent about an hour with it trying out all sorts of exercises from muscle groups all over the body. On most of the them, there just wasn't enough resistance from the 4 cables, or else the exercises were ackward and I didn't feel like I was getting much out of them - except curls. I really like this thing for doing curls. I set it at the maximum resistance and then do curls from all sorts of angles: with the cables coming up in front of me, behind me, on the sides. It's kind of hard to explain the curls I was doing, but the best way I can think of to describe it is just imagine doing curls, except with an additional weight pulling off to the sides or in front of you or behind you. My wife got the piece of equipment on clearance and didn't pay that much for it, so I think I'll get my money's worth just from the way I'm able to do curls with it.

food - I ate a bunch of bowls of grain cereal with soymilk, drank a bunch of citrus juice (orange and grapefruit), and ate some sandwiches with vegan burgers and vegan deli slices, also took water with 3 grams of creatine this morning

Edited by willpeavy