Raw Training Blog

So I am 100% raw for the first time in my life, started yesterday. I am eating mostly whole foods. A lot of fruit, some veggies, and will likely work in some seeds and nuts at some point. Maybe some sprouted garbanzos too.

I am also about the lightest I have been in a long time, weighing in at a mere 155lbs. It is almost time for my fire fighter agility test (2 weeks) and I am going to ramp up training to prepare for that, and beyond!

I am going to keep a blog of what I eat, what I do, and any gains I make here.

To catch up, my first day was (after coming off a cleanse/fast):

FOOD:

3 oranges

2 tangerines

4 kiwis

3 mangoes

4 pears

8 leaves kale

1 tbls cp hemp oil

1 tbls raw apple cider vinegar

TRAINING:

Light jog.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think I ate enough early today, or I was doing some new detoxing...I had a headache...

After the seeds I felt better though.

FOOD:

blended kale and hemp with some water and vitamineral greens

1 mango

3 1/2 apples

4 bunches of mache (green I had not tried before)

3 ounces raw pepitas

3 bananas

6 live flax crackers

TRAINING:

Fire fighter training facility exercises including running stairs with a hose, 50 lbs bucket training, sled pull, dummy drag, ladder lift, ladder pull, ladder place, fan carry and fan lifting. About 45 minutes or so.

Edited by oregonisaac

Just wanted to make a note about the pears, since you'd posted that they were the only fruit you had a problem with - I notice I have a problem with pears too, as much as I love them. So maybe it's a 'pear' thing, and not a 'you' thing!! Will have to do more research on their properties...

This is a great opportunity for you to do some first hand research about food combining! You can prob google to find a food combining chart, but the general rules I remember off the top of my head are:

Best to eat fruits alone, and before meals or other foods, as they digest the easiest and quickest and will ferment in your system if eaten after something that takes longer to digest...

Learn the sub categories of fruits, as you shouldn't combine them (acid, sub acid, etc - oranges and pears don't mix!)

I believe you can do nuts/seeds with veggies, so better to put nuts in your salad (and probably why the kale and hemp are good togther) than fruit (a lot of folks like dried fruit in their salads, not so good)

Nuts and grains are not supposed to mix well either, I believe.

I'm interested to see how you do with grains, Isaac - that is one of the biggest changes in going from vegan to raw, the elimination of cooked grains. So I'd love to hear how you fare with things like soaked and sprouted quinoa, buckwheat, etc!!

And mono eating is always best (though most folks are appalled at the notion since we are raised to eat "well rounded" meals, when we should really focus more on well rounded diets overall, not in one sitting!). If you eat only one thing at a time, your digestive system can do it's work properly and efficiently and you should be digestively very happy!

Feeling good today, no headaches, and a strong appetite. Went for some raw pecan butter (about 3 servings) with bananas and had some stomach discomfort for about 20 minutes, but other than that a great day!

My mom is here too, so that is making this way of eating a little more challenging as she wants to feed me...

FOOD:

1 serving vitamineral greens

2 kale leaves wrapped around 2 bananas and 2 handfuls of raisins

3 oranges

3 bananas and 3 tbls of pecan butter (mom influence, ouch)

1 raw bar (figs, seeds, nuts)

handful pepitas

1 shake (22g raw hemp protein, 1 banana)

nut loaf (blossoming lotus)

greens drink (blossoming lotus)

live pecan pie (blossoming lotus)

TRAINING:

Fire fighter training facility exercises including running stairs with a hose, 50 lbs bucket training, sled pull, dummy drag, ladder lift, ladder pull, ladder place, fan carry and fan lifting. About 40 minutes or so.

eek!

Your ideal balanced raw vegan diet should really be

50-ish% fruits

40% greens/sprouts

and the rest nuts/seeds/dehydrated foods.. less than 10% of your

daily intake.

I would say slow way down on the nut intake... you can really mess

your digestive system up!

Fresh IS best.

Really good digestion today, although I feel kind of "heavy" or something. Maybe I was used to the light feel of fasting...

I also got a little more complex with bars and bowls. Not sure if I need to worry about that, I am unclear on the advantage of eating singly, if it actually means I get more out of the food or if it is just easier on digestion.

FOOD:

vitamineral greens

bowl of raw granola with raw nut milk

1/2 cup pineapple

1 cup melon

2 raw bars

5 figs

2 large bowls of kale with flax, avocado, garbanzos, salsa, cucumber

3 kale leaf wraps with banana and raisin

shake with hemp, kale, figs and soaked cashews

1 head broccoli w/ almond butter

TRAINING:

45 minute trail run

50 pull ups

I guess I was feeling heavy for good reason, I weighed in at 161 today which is about 6lbs up, and I know that is not muscle gain. Maybe that is the weight of my active digestive system? Crazy.

FOOD:

hemp and vita mineral greens shake

3 oranges

2 Vega bars

1 kale, tomato, avocado and dulse salad

handful raw trail mix

large bowl raw granola with fig blended soaked cashews

live bar

hemp and almond shake

raw granola with almond milk

hummus w/ carrot and celery

pecan pie

a little nut loaf

TRAINING:

stair machine with 50lb backpack

70lb 7ft rope lift sets (5x8)

Edited by oregonisaac

Got a late start today, then took a nap, and my meals suffered. Still feeling really good. No kale today!

FOOD:

hummus and flax crackers

cabbage and apple

hummus and broccoli

3 homemade raw protein bars (hemp, soaked cashew, agave, cacao)

vitamineral greens

young coconut

2 oranges

2 tomatoes

1/2 head local cabbage (between purple and green, tasted like kale!)

apple cider vinegar

1 avocado

handful walnuts (from Robert, really good, he is selling for cheap)

TRAINING:

1 hour budokan

stair climb w/ weight

rope lifts

So I am trying to remember yesterday to list my food. Wednesdays are really busy for me.

FOOD:

2 oranges

hummus

2 tangerines

1 avocado

kale, tomato and cucumber salad

vitamineral greens

hemp, cashew, agave bar

head broccoli

2 larabars

2-3 handfuls of pecans

apples and walnut butter

apples and almond butter

TRAINING:

None

Good day, but I got dizzy while training which is a little odd for me and nearly puked. Maybe that just means I was working hard enough.

FOOD:

3 apples

1 orange

1 tangerines

salad

granola nut cream parfait

raw bagel with walnut cream spread (seriously, a raw bagel!)

1 whole coconut

fig sweetened hemp shake

vitamineral greens

double wheat grass shot

2 handfuls of pecans

large bowl raw granola with agave sweetened cashew milk

TRAINING:

stair climb w/ weight, squats, back extensions, leg lifts, dips w/ weight, speed walk with 50lb dumbbells

I used to get dizzy a bit or feel like puking or actually puking when I was into bodybuilding hardcore and training legs until I made myself sick. It is pretty common for bodybuilders and other lifters to feel "sick" when training legs or doing very heavy and intense workouts.

I don't get that way much anymore and I'm still training hard and have some sweet leg workouts. I still get a little lightheaded when standing up after leg press or something like that.

Quite a variety of fruits! Great stuff! I eat a ton of fruit, as you know and have seen. I like your approach to health and your goals to feel great, just like Brendan. His focus is to feel great to perform well and have great mental clarity and he follows a 90% raw diet to do that. He has no stomach problems (like I have) and digests food well, and is as efficient as it gets.

I'm sure you'll be like that soon too. I also want to cleanse for a certain period of time and go mostly raw but still maintain and build muscle. I want to keep getting bigger. Right now I'm smaller than I was months ago.

Sorry, didn't mean to write so much in "your" blog, just thinking about things since you've been hanging out quite a bit.

All the best with the training. Let's hit up the Lotus sometime soon!

Take care man, great journal!

Must be normal, because I proved to myself I am not weak today doing a test run of the fire fighter agility test. It is a simple pass fail, 8 minutes and 4 seconds or less, and I ran through it in 6 minutes 30 seconds. Raw power!

FOOD:

vitamineral greens

wheat grass shot

tangerine

raw granola and cashew milk

bowl coconut soup

cup coconut soup

3 flax crackers

nut loaf

romaine and avacado salad w/ apple cider vinegar and hemp oil

raw granola parfait

a lemon blended with coconut oil

a few handfuls of pecans

raw bagel

mixed greens salad

spinach, lentil and avocado salad with vinegar, hemp and coconut

live fudge

TRAINING:

Fire fighter training facility exercises including running stairs with a hose, 50 lbs bucket training, sled pull, dummy drag, ladder lift, ladder pull, ladder place, fan carry and fan lifting. About 25 minutes or so.

Edited by oregonisaac

Sounds good...hows your new lightweight self treating you on the bike...I can imagine you, Harley, and Finnbarrio(assuming you all attend) will really be kicking my butt on the coast if and probably when we hit the hills

Sounds good...hows your new lightweight self treating you on the bike...I can imagine you, Harley, and Finnbarrio(assuming you all attend) will really be kicking my butt on the coast if and probably when we hit the hills

I have no idea, my bike is still broken and I have not ridden since the fall.

I am training for an 8 minute event, so if the bike ride is 8 minutes I might!

Forget the mountain bike...sell the parts and get a road bike so you can tag along during the VV...sure others are mountain bikers too but you have to consider how much of a wimp I am.

No workout today, just some walking and stretching, got a nice deep soreness in the legs. Also it has been a short day, only awake 12 hours.

FOOD:

a lemon and coconut oil blended with vitamineral greens and agave

raw pasta

3 raw breakfast bars

pecan pie

nut loaf

spinach

handful pecans

romaine and hummus

hummus and flax crackers

raw cacao heart

TRAINING: walking around the city and a little yoga

Forget the mountain bike...sell the parts and get a road bike so you can tag along during the VV...sure others are mountain bikers too but you have to consider how much of a wimp I am.

I live as close to in Forest Park as is possible, no way I am starting this spring without a mountain bike.

Maybe I can rustle up a road bike to borrow.

I may bring two bikes to Portland(maybe three I mean ). I'm definately going to have my road and track bike but I may bring my TT bike...if I do I'll ride the TT bike and let you guys fight over my road bike but that all depends on my living situation when I go out to Portland since I'm only going to be there until a bit after the VV....by the way do you need a roomate

I may bring two bikes to Portland(maybe three I mean ). I'm definately going to have my road and track bike but I may bring my TT bike...if I do I'll ride the TT bike and let you guys fight over my road bike but that all depends on my living situation when I go out to Portland since I'm only going to be there until a bit after the VV....by the way do you need a roomate

No extra bedroom, but I have a futon that is open for crashing on as need be!

Great day, a lot of hanging out, relaxing, and meditation training.

FOOD:

lentil sprouts

vitamineral greens

2 tangerines

hummus

fruit salad (a lot)

greens salad

grapes

spinach salad

date fudge

coconut soup

young coconut

live bar

2 banana

2 kiwi

raw sushi (from Daily Grind, really good, but no wasabi)

granola

TRAINING:

4x1 hour meditation sessions

I wouldn't mind crashing on a futon but three months with a girlfriend and three bikes that are larger than she is makes for a tight fit...won't be bad to sleep over a few times to get your but up at 5am for a ride though

I wouldn't mind crashing on a futon but three months with a girlfriend and three bikes that are larger than she is makes for a tight fit...won't be bad to sleep over a few times to get your but up at 5am for a ride though

I have not seen 5AM in quite some time, except maybe on the way to bed...