Ryan's "Hope to compete again in 2014" log

I'm trying to get posts with my log here, but they don't seem to work. I've been trying to copy & paste from another site I keep my log at to this one with no success, but I'll keep working until I get it right! Hopefully I'll have an entry that goes in correctly this evening.

Edited by VeganEssentials

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Ryan, 4 of us have run into that problem. I'm not sure what the "bug" or "glitch" is, and don't know much about computers.

So I suggested to the other guys, write it here first and copy it and paste it somewhere else. I found that writing "fresh" articles works just fine.

In this certain section, for some reason, it doesn't like copy and paste material.

I'd love to see your training log so try writing a fresh article here and see how it works.

Sorry about the problem, I'm looking into it.

-Robert

Today was deadlift day! Afterward, I realize that the heavy squats only 2 days ago have left me not quite ready for heavy DLs, as I used to give 3 full days' rest between the two sessions and not just one. Oh well, I'll have to tweak my routine more over the next month....

Started with conventional stance deadlifts as follows:

1x5 @ 225

1x3 @ 315

1x1 @ 405

1x1 @ 455

Tried for 500, broke it a foot off the ground but lost all my steam then. I know that my form is off from only deadlifting around 5 times in 10 months, so I've got to start slowly again to get to where I was before.

Had a brief intermission and did 2 quick sets of dips, just 2x10 at bodyweight.

Decided that to work form and feel again I'd do a punishment day for deadlifts, so in the last 24 minutes I did 10 sets of 5 reps @ 315 with just 90 seconds rest between sets. I was already winded after the first 4, but I forced all sets out and did the last one just a minute before they closed the gym down at 10 PM. I could barely make it to the car afterward and I'm sore as can be, but it was good for me to do this!

Preceeding this day I had a quality squat session on Tuesday working up to a few heavy singles at 435 lbs. (did one rep with 455 lbs the week before but barely made it!), so the squats are going well and I aim to hit 475 again before the end of this month. The DLs will be a bit slower in the process, but since they used to be totally natural for me to throw them down it is only a matter of weeks until I can start hitting some heavy poundages again. Gotta focus on these two things in September in anticipation of the Hudson Open meet in November. One of these days I'll finally start benching, too....

Heading to a wedding out of town for a few days so no lifting until Sunday or Monday, but I'll be back after the next session is through!

Ryan

Tired as hell from one long weekend at a wedding, but got some grip and bending work in this evening for about 45 minutes so there was at least some redemption.

Mixed it up with pinch grip work (which I've been neglecting lately) and bending (which I have also let slide for too long) and came back better than last time I'd gone after both. Not really structured today, but did some of the following things:

Blob lifts (half of old York dumbbell cut off, tough to grip!)

10-15 second lifts with the 35 lb. blob

A few pulls to near waist high with the 42.5 lb. blob

Need to get back on these as I still want to eventually master the 50 lb. beast, but that'll take a LOT of hard work to get there!

Did some bending after last time where I was extremely unhappy with how much I regressed with it, this time it was better:

(5) 1/4" x 6" round pieces

(2) 1/4" x 6" G5 bolts

(1) 3/8" x 6" G2 bolt

(1) 3/8" x 5.5" G2 bolt

(1) 1/4" x 6" G8 bolt

(1) 1/4" x 5.5" G8 bolt

(1) 1/4" x 6.5" square stock

The 5.5" G8 beat my hands up nicely, so after making the square piece I called it a day for bending. Better than last time where I was stopped at the G8s!

Wrapped up with some plate pinching. Did a bunch of 15-20 second holds with a pair of 25 lb. plates, then hit the 35s and did some pulls to waist high. Too weak by this time to do any timed holds, but it is getting better as I can get them off the ground again.

Tomorrow is squat day, aiming for 20 reps total at 405 no matter how many sets it takes to get there. Done it before, let's see how it goes tomorrow!

Ryan

Sticking with the program to get my squat to 500 in the next 60 days, I went in for an endurance squat day that went really, really well.

Goal was 20 reps total at 405, doing them in sets of whatever I could manage so long as I got there. In the end, I did 21 just to toss one extra rep in, going as follows:

1x8 @ empty bar

1x3 @ 225. rock bottom pause for 10 sec. each rep

1x3 @ 315, resting pause on pins at bottom of each rep

1x1 @ 405

4x3 @ 405

4x2 @ 405

All this was done in 30 minutes, so there were no extended rest times past 2 minutes per set. I didn't get beat too badly until rep 19, then the last set was a struggle. Getting under the bar for 10 sets and setting up each time is just as draining as doing more reps in fewer sets, but the goal was to not exhaust myself until the end and power through as much as I could while keeping endurance up. Went far better than the last time I'd done a 20 rep day with 405, where I never got more than 3 reps after the second set.

In between some of these sets, I started doing seated barbell wrist curls (forearms up, resting on thighs, hands hanging off knees). Did the following sets with these:

1x10 @ 135

1x8 @ 155

1x5 @ 175

Attempted 195, couldn't get bar past parallel to full contraction (next time!)

1x3 @ 175

1x7 @ 155

1x8 @ 135

I never used to do these until recently when I opted to toss them in weekly to help with steel bending. So far, seems to be a help in getting those wrists stronger (don't care about forearm size - they're big enough as it is!)

Finally, in the last 5 minutes I'd planned to do a 20 rep death set of stiff legged deadlifts off a box with 225, but my energy was cashed in and I couldn't get it. Did 1x10, could barely breathe, got a drink of water and tried to finish up 45 seconds later. Got 6 more, almost passed out, then called it a day. Good stuff!

Came home, pulled out the grippers and had at it (they always fare better after squatting for some reason).

1x5 slammed shut with loud click with IM Trainer

2x3 each hand with PDA SOS262 Gripper

Grippers are getting better again - maybe it is finally time to get serious about certifying on the IM#3?

Thursday will be a quick switch for lifts - I'll be doing back and shoulder work then and deadlifting on Sunday instead, and I'll report back afterward!

Ryan

Thanks, Daywalker! I'm working as hard as I can to push some new PRs in case I decide to commit to a PL meet in early November, and the only way to progress is to push beyond normal limitations.

Today was pinch grip day, setting new PRs across the board.

Did a ton of work with both plate pinching and the blobs (sawed off halves of old York dumbbells - I'll get a good pic of one here soon) and made a lot of new goals come to reality. I can't remember how many sets of pinch work I did over the course of 45 minutes, but highlights included:

Pinching a 42.5 lb. blob in one hand and a pair of 35 lb. plates in the other simultaneously (see http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?act=module&module=gallery&cmd=si&img=3070 for the video clip)

Pinching and passing a pair of 35 lb. plates around my body 5 times without setting them down (see http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?act=module&module=gallery&cmd=si&img=3069 for the clip)

2-finger pinching with the 42.5 lb. blob with each hand instead of full-hand pinching

Finally lifting the 45 lb. blob to full lockout at waist height

I don't know what clicked today, but I was on fire from the get-go and never stopped until I was fried. Pinching is fun stuff, definitely underrated (probably the most valuable or 2nd most valuable grip work anyone can do) and is something I intend to master in time. One day I'll get the 50 lb. blob off the ground and a pair of 45 lb. plates pinched and lifted clear on up - it is only a matter of time until it happens.

Finished with a quick 10 minute bike ride to the store and back, legs still incredibly sore from yesterday. Tomorrow is back and shoulders day, I'll report when done!

Ryan

Took care of two things at once this session, shoulder and back work -

Started with barbell clean and push presses. Did the following:

1x8 w/ empty bar

1x5 @ 135

1x3 @ 185

1x2 @ 225

1x3 @ 245 (nearing my old max of 3 reps at 250!)

Moved next to 2x3 reps for a few high pulls from the floor, first with a clean grip (double overhand, deadlift width) to neck height, 2nd set to mid chest height with a wide snatch grip (about 4" from the bar sleeves).

Tried some power snatches next, but I didn't rest long and didn't fare too well. 1x3 from the hang position first @ 135, then 160 from the floor went easily. Thought I could make 185 with no problem, got it to about neck height but didn't dip under it enough and lost it at the last moment. Need to work on these all over again, for sure, since I hope to make 200 by year's end.

Time for back work! Still starting off slow with back exercises again so not to re-sprain everything all over again, so I went as follows:

Barbell Hise Shrugs in the power rack (bar high on traps in squat position, shrug upward) for the following sets:

1x10 @ 315

1x8 @ 405

1x6 @ 495

1x15 @ 315

Next, hit some DB rows - they only go up to 120 where I lift now, so I have to make do with what they have. Popped out 2 quick sets of 10 with 120 lbs. (endurance gives out before the back does) and moved on.

Next, did some Hammer Strength pulldowns. The machine in my new gym isn't as comfortable as the old place, but still, one of those rare machines that I don't hate since I try to avoid them as much as humanly possible. Did the following sets:

1x8 @ 270 lbs. (135 on each side, arms move independently)

1x5 @ 320 lbs. (160 each side)

2x1 @ 390 lbs. (195 right arm for full reps, left side got stuck at forehead height so they weren't full reps)

1x5 @ 320 lbs. again

Finally, wrapped up with a cooldown 20 rep endurance set of cable low rows (machine again - definitely not normal!) with 105. Not heavy, but no rest between reps, constant tension, no backward lean to cheat them out. Got a drink, came back, tossed out 10 more at the same weight about 30 seconds later and I was done.

Got home, didn't intend to lift, but saw my 2.5" thick handle DB and had to get one last set of rows in. Just tossed on a light 80 lbs. total and did 1x20 reps with each arm and that was it.

Next week I'll try to smuggle my thick handled DBs into the gym and hopefully they won't be cranky about it. If so, I can actually load more weight than 120 lbs. on and have at it, so we'll see how it works.

I'll get in some benching and deadlifting this weekend and probably some bending tomorrow, details to follow when done!

Ryan

Okay, this has been my first chest workout since...well...March, but I finally must get myself doing them regularly. Sensless (from the VF board) finally took his bench from his folks' place and moved it to his aparatment, so we set it up in his garage and had at it.

It wasn't a spectacular re-entry to benching, but it could have been worse! Did the following sets:

1x6 @ 165

1x5 @ 225

3x3 @ 250 (had one assisted rep on the last set since my shoulder cocked and I needed a bit of help)

1x6 @ 225

1x4 close grip at @ 225

Dropped down to 165 again and did 2 last sets of close grip work - one with hands about 14" apart, one about 10" apart, slow 5 seconds down and power back up as fast as possible. I think they were both just 4 reps each since I was now quite worn out - not benching for 6 months will do such things.

Came home, did 3 quick sets of 10 push-ups that felt like hell since I was already fried, but I still did them anyhow. Goal is to bench every week and get to 300 before the meet since that's what holds me back the most, aiming to get to 350 in the next year with some really hard work.

Tomorrow is grip day, Tuesday will be squats and overhead presses. Back to report soon!

Ryan

Storm knocked the power out in town last night, so the gym was closed and my house had no power for most of the evening - scratch lifting for the day as planned.

Today was make-up day, but this morning I found out about a strongman event this weekend that I'll be entering so I took it a bit easy since I'm only 3 days out from getting in on it. So, today was a mild back and leg workout as follows:

Barbell rows

1x5 @ 135

1x5 @ 225

1x4 @ 245

1x3 @ 265

1x3 @ 275

Felt good to go fairly heavy on these, so I'll have to keep at them and get back to getting over 300 for 2 reps as I used to manage.

Next I just goofed for a few quick sets of random lifts while some teenagers in the gym were asking me about being vegan. They assumed that if you weigh around 250ish you had to be a meat eater, so they were pretty shocked when I said I'd been vegan for 5 years. They were pretty cool about it and asked a lot of questions, but of course, it all came down to the usual "I could never give up meat!" story. I told them that it's all about training yourself to like other things that are better and there are plenty of meat alternatives to help transition, but I don't think it hit home. Still, getting people to acknowledge that you can have some size and strength on a vegan diet is good anyway! Anyway, the random lifts were as follows:

1x3 power cleans @ 225, push press last rep

1x3 single-hand straddle deadlifts with barbell @ 225

1x3 snatch grip high pulls to mid-chest @ 225

After talking for a few minutes, they lost interest and started on hounding some other guy in the gym about his diet. At least they told him that it wasn't good for him to live on nothing but chicken every day as he had been for the past 3 months....

Anyway, headed for the squat rack and did some sets of Hise shrugs and 1/4 squat lockouts:

1x10 @ 315 for Hise shrugs (bar on back in squat position, shrug upward)

1x8 @ 405 Hise shrugs

1x4 @ 495 Hise shrugs

1x8 @ 495 for squat lockouts from bottom position up (8" ROM)

1x6 @ 585 for squat lockouts

1x4 @ 675 for lockouts

1x3 @ 765 for lockouts

Of course, the guy who'd been eating nothing but chicken came over and said "Dude, are you wearing a belt?" When I told him I've never worn one in my life, he was pretty well amazed and couldn't grasp how my back doesn't snap with that much weight on me. Amazing what happens when you actually train your core to support weight instead of just benching and curling every day....guess I'm getting cynical in my "old age"!

Next, did some shrugs, but I was fried and realized after not shrugging for a full year that I suck at them really badly. My body just doesn't feel comfortable with them, and since my double overhand grip isn't anywhere near my mixed grip for deadlifting, I can't hold on for as long as I need to. Just tossed in a few quick and disappointing sets:

1x8 @ 225 (power shrugged to pull to mid chest height)

1x6 @ 315

1x8 @ 225

I know that my traps can support more weight than they need to, but for speed and power, they have some issues that need resolving. Looks like I'll be starting to shrug weekly along with benching so as to make my largest weaknesses my strong points in the near future!

Anyway, that's about it. Going to do some pinch grip and bending work tomorrow, then rest for Friday before Saturday morning's competition. We'll look to get some quality pics of the comp, so I'll post them here when done!

Ryan

• 2 weeks later...

Been a bit slower to get lifting again since the contest, but today was a good squat day that set a new PR for me!

Got in, started right in for the squats as follows:

1x5 @ 135

1x3 @ 225, ass to floor, 5 second pause and explode up

1x1 @ 225 for a single front squat

1x2 @ 315 paused for 2 seconds at bottom

2x1 @ 405

1x1 @ 425

1x1 @ 455 - this is where I decided to go for a PR since this went up easier than ever before

1x1 @ 480 - a new PR by 5 lbs., making it a good day! I felt so good that I may have even been able to make a double, but I wanted one more, so...

Attempted 495 for a single, got about 9" out of the hole, but stuck a bit and lost it down to the rack. Still, I made it to being close to getting through the sticking point, so another month and I think I'll nail this easily.

Wrapped up with 3x2 @ 315 done for speed - hit to just below parallel, pop up as fast as I can to where I toss the bar off my traps and end up on my toes at the end from exploding as fast as I can out of the hole.

Every set felt tight today - everything was in perfect position, all movements in sync, no weak spots. The kind of day I wish every squat day would turn out to be!

Next, did some bending after the squats for a few pieces:

1x3 pieces of 1/4" x 6" round stock

1x2 pieces of 6" G5 bolts

1 6" G8 bolt

1 piece of 1/4" x 6.5" square stock

Tried an IronMind red nail (3/8" x 7" round stock) but only put about a 3 degree kink in it. That length kills me because I can't get good leverage, but someday....

Back to leg work again, I tossed in a few last sets of stiff legged deadlifts as follows:

1x10 @ 225

2x10 @ 275

I aim to keep with these for a while, adding 10 lbs. per week until I'm getting to the mid 300s. Just trying to hit those hamstrings a bit more!

Wrapped up with a light speed set of 20 reps on the lying leg curl, kicking up as fast as possible to where the bar would smack me in the back of the legs with every rep. After this, I was spent and it was time to call it a day.

I'm hoping to finally get to train with the local stronman competitors this weekend, so probably no lifting until then, or maybe some back and chest work on Thursday. Back to report when it is done!

Ryan

Today was back and shoulders day!

Started off with barbell clean and push presses:

1x6 each arm done separately with empty bar (all subsequent sets done standard push press style, 2 arm)

1x4 @ 135

1x3 @ 185

2x5 @ 225

1x4 @ 225 - missed the last rep, got it to top of head height and crapped out. Had some shorter rest periods of only about 2 minutes between sets, which is less than I usually wait on these. Gotta get all reps next week!

Next were barbell rows:

1x3 @ 225

3x5 @ 255

These felt good, so I think I'll jump 10 lbs. next week to keep up with how easy these went.

Moved next to Hammer Strength shoulder press machine, one of few machines I don't hate:

1x10 @ 230

1x8 @ 250

1x6 @ 250

Next, did some IronMind Eagle Loops shrugs (strap that wraps around the bar, has 4 loops on the end for using individual fingers to hold instead of a full grip). Nothing too big since the finger pain threshold is lower, so just 3x6 @ 265 and that was it.

After that, I headed to the low cable row machine and put the Eagle Loops on for single-hand low rowing. Did the following:

1x10 @ 105 each arm separately

1x10 @ 120 each arm

1x6 @ 135 each arm

With the loops, there's no grip fatigue so you can row as long as your back will allow it without your hands giving out, which is quite nice.

Jumped to the dumbbells for a last minute or two and tossed out 2 sets of 12 reps with shrugs with 120 lb. DBs. The gym I go to now unfortunately has the big old rubber DBs that are massive, so while I like to do my DB shrugs seated, they're too damned big to manage it. Had to do 'em standing, 1 arm at a time just to make it more fun.

I was gasping for air as they kicked me out (all the last 8 or so sets were only about 60 seconds rest between them as time was running low) so I headed home.

Got back, pulled out the grippers for a quick bit and did 2 sets:

1x5 for a warmup on the IM Trainer

1x8 reps right hand with PDA SOS262 for a new rep PR with that hand, did 4 reps left handed

I'm trying to hit the grippers twice weekly to not lose my edge with them, and so far so good!

May do some outdoor strongman stuff with a friend on Saturday, otherwise, Sunday will be deadlift and bench day and I'll post here afterward!

Ryan

Today was deadlift and chest day -

Started with DLs in the power rack from bottom of kneecap height:

1x5 @ 135

1x5 @ 225

1x5 @ 315

1x5 @ 405

1x5 @ 500

1x1 @ 525

1x1 @ 565

Getting better with these, hopefully they'll work to get my deadlift strong again for next month's comp.

Next, Did some half-deadlifts from floor to midpoint in the power rack (set the pins just below knee level to have a stopping point. Goal was to pull fast, and once I hit the pins, keep pulling up into them for a 3 second hold:

1x3 @ 225

2x3 @ 275

Going heavy wasn't the mission, but just to pull hard at the usual sticking point to work it a bit more.

Next, did some good mornings to just a hair above parallel:

1x5 @ 225

1x3 @ 275

1x3 @ 295

1x2 @ 315

These keep getting easier, and they're helping my lower back and hamstrings quite a bit. Working to get a double for 375+ before year's end.

Following this were Hise shrugs in the power rack:

1x6 @ 225

1x6 @ 315

1x5 @ 405

Not working traps hard today, but trying to get a secondary workout for them in for each week now to bring them up even more.

Finally, did some close-grip speed benching for chest work. Didn't intend to go heavy, just lots of doubles done with a press as quickly as possible (after a slow descent, some sets with a 2 second pause at bottom)

10x2 @ 185, only 30-60 seconds rest between sets.

All grips were between 12" and 16" wide at most to stay on the narrow side, all reps had to be pushed up without any hesitation or stalling to work speed exclusively.

Wrapped up with that, am now dead tired (with 4 more hours of work to do before bedtime!) and that's it. Squats will be Tuesday, back to report afterward

Ryan

Today was leg day, but it didn't turn out as I'd thought it would...

Started warmups with some light 225 lb. squats all the way to the bottom, when BAM! My shorts tore all the way from the back of the knee to the waist, exposing parts of me that best remain covered I should have rolled the legs up and looked silly rather than let them cover my knee a bit, but it was too late - I now had the most well-ventilated shorts possible and still had an entire workout to finish. Since it felt totally odd to hit deep squats with one leg blown open and one that was slightly snug when hitting bottom, I opted to bump my speed squat day up a bit and did the following:

2x5 @ 225 (blew the arse out on the 2nd set)

10x2 @ 315 - each rep was as fast up as possible, hitting a bounce on each top position to where the bar would jump an inch or two off my traps

Despite the squats being light, it really does hit you hard if you focus on speed, and since so many powerlifters incorporate speed work I'll see if this makes a difference in time.

Next, did some 2/3 squats with 500 lbs. to keep the comfortability and confidence up for the PR attempt in 4 weeks. Just 2x2 @ 500, going down 2/3 of the way to bottom, hit the pins, and power it back up.

Next were stiff legged deadlifts, just a few quick sets before I had to pack it in when the gym closed. Did 2x10 @ 300, then 1x5 @ 300 (I was winded and could barely breathe!) - I went to get a drink and come back to finish the last 5 reps but they kicked me out at that point so it was all over.

Oh yeah - in between the last squat sets I did some grippers work as follows:

1x5 with IM trainer each hand, 5 reps slammed

1x2 with PDA SOS262 each hand, 2 reps

With the RB210, I did 3 sets right handed, 2 reps on the first set, 3 reps on the 2nd set, and a single with a 25 second hold closed for the 3rd set. For the left hand, I did one rep with the RB210, the dropped back to the PDA gripper and did 2 reps for one set and a single with 20 second hold on it. All in all, a good day with the grippers!

Tomorrow is rest day, Thursday is shoulders and back work. Will report when it is done!

Ryan

Today was supposed to be shoulders and back day, but I cut my time too close to the end of the open hours at the gym and just goofed a shoulder session for 30 minutes.

Stared out with clean and push presses -

1x5 @ 135

1x3 @ 185

1x1 @ 225

1x1 @ 250

1x1 @ 260

The 260 cleaned really easy and pressed even easier, so I went for 275 to try and PR. Attempted it twice, both times missing the clean by about 2-3" and that was all for them. I kept losing my concentration because one of the younger guys there kept talking to me as I was getting ready for my attempts, and although I should have told him I needed my focus I chatted a bit, throwing my efforts off a bit. I know that if I'd cleaned it I'd have pressed it no problem, so there'll just have to be a next time for that one.

Next, did some 1-arm barbell clean and push presses:

Right arm - 1x1 @ 135, 2x2 @ 135

Left arm - made easy cleans, couldn't get the press to lock out. What's really weird is that my right shoulder is the one that cocks out on benching and screws me up, yet it is totally stable for 1-arm overhead pressing. My left side is the stable one for benching, but if I'm cleaning the bar I can't get the proper spot and miss the press every time. Odd stuff.

Ran to the DBs for some last-minute pressing with them and did the following 2 sets single-arm -

1x6 @ 120 lb. right arm (little push - getting stronger on the right!), 1x4 on the left arm

1x5 strict press with 90 lb. right arm, 1x4 strict left arm

They started closing down and I was out as usual, but it was still a fun little day. Could have used an extra 35 minutes to complete my back workout, but there's always this weekend for that.

May be doing some strongman stuff this weekend, will try to get some pictures if I get out to the place we're supposed to meet up.

Ryan

Today was stronman training day! One of the guys from the event last month has a bunch of stuff to play with at his place, so a friend and I made the 30 minute drive out to have some fun.

We got there as they were in the middle of doing overhead log presses with their giant 12" diameter log - we jumped in quickly with it, and boy, was it tough to get used to! I made a few sets working up to 1x4 @ 200 lbs., but I failed at an attempt with 220. My friend made 220, but that's where we capped out for the day.

Next, we set up the yoke I've had for the past year (but had never used), and loaded it up for some fun in the middle of the road. The final weight we used was about 430 lbs., doing walks back and forth for about 100 feet. Here's a few images of the yoke walking (me setting up, John in mid-walk)

http://www.veganessentials.com/images/RyanYoke.jpg

http://www.veganessentials.com/images/JohnYoke.jpg

It was all a matter of getting used to yoke walks - 430 lbs. doesn't feel too heavy with it, but if you take off to quickly it'll swing out of control which is no good. Definitely fun, and we'll have to get to using up to 700 lbs. for next year's contests.

Finally, we wrapped up with some stone lifting. A good record day for both of us by far, which made the whole trip worthwhile. I warmed up with some single loads with the 250 lb. stone, then made 2 easy loads with the 280 lb. stone that had stopped me cold in the contest. After that, I tackled the 300 lb. stone with much more ease than expected, which left only the last one at 340 lbs. to go for. I tried to get it off the ground 3 times, each attempt getting a few inches but not enough. Finally, on the last attempt I got it into my lap, and after screwing around to catch my balance for a minute I managed to get it up about a foot off my lap, but I didn't have enough left to get it on the platform. Next time it'll have to be done! My friend popped the 340 lb. stone into his lap easily enough, but couldn't get it loaded correctly. The pictures of me were too blurry so there's none to post of myself, but here's John loading the 300 lb. stone -

http://www.veganessentials.com/images/JohnStone.jpg

All in all, a great time and I can't wait to get back out there to train again. Best of all, they gave us a stone to take home (it has a spot that's cracking a bit and makes a mess, so they wanted to get rid of it), so now we've got a nice 260 lb. stone to mess around with here. There'll be a whole family of them in my backyard next summer, but as long as I've got something to work with now it's fantastic.

Hope to get back out there next week, and if so we'll get more pics taken!

Ryan

Will,

It was definitely a lot of fun! One woman stopped dead in her lane waiting to see what I was going to do while I was setting up with the yoke - as if I was going to put that much weight on my back and sprint through the street wildly!

Today was shoulders and legs, and definitely a good day despite having to go to a gym I don't usually like (equipment isn't all that great there).

Started with barbell clean and press -

1x5 @ empty bar

1x5 @ 135

1x3 @ 185

1x5 @ 225

1x2 @ 255, missed 3rd rep at top of head height.

Moved next to squats, goal was a handful of reps with 455 to get comfortable with a heavy weight for singles -

5x1 @ 455

1x3 @ 455 - while going for the 6th rep, I figured I'd have to try and make a double. When I made the double, I felt that I may as well go for a triple. Struggled a bit on the 3rd rep but came out clean for a good day under the bar.

Next, did some moderate weight zercher lifts (bar in the crook of the elbows) from a 4/5 squat bottom position to standing upright

2x5 @ 315

Legs were sufficiently fried from this, so it was time to goof around. Moved over and set up the barbell for 1-handed power snatches -

2x1 @ 115 with each arm

Once I did these, I figured I'd go for a 2-hands anyhow lift (as it was referred to long ago) where you get the bar up with one arm, drop down, grab a second weight and get it overhead as well. Did a power snatch right armed with 115 lbs., squatted down with it overhead, grabbed a 55lb dumbbell which I then curled and pressed overhead. Fun stuff! Didn't try it left handed, but that was good enough.

Next, headed over to the DB rack again for some 1-arm presses -

2x8 @ 100 lbs. right handed (no push, slight side lean)

2x7 @ 100 lbs. left handed (no push first set, slight push on 2nd set)

That went surprisingly well, so I just goofed with a few last things and I was off:

DB alternating hammer curls

1x5 @ 55, 1x4 @ 60, 1x3 @ 70 lb. dumbbells for each arm

Seated barbell wrist curl

1x8 @ 135, 1x5 @ 165

Standing barbell curl

1x5 @ 135, slight cheat after 2nd rep

That was it! A free pass to a gym close to work, a good solid day of lifting and I'm quite happy. Tomorrow I have to get some photos taken for lifting, and if it stops raining long enough to get them I'll post them here!

Ryan

Didn't lift in the gym since last week Tuesday, so I had some good rest time....except that I've been working 11-14 hours/day this past week, so my body and mind are pretty run down from that. Things should be normal again soon, but I could tell my gym performance was down this evening.

Today was squat day as usual, and the goal was 5x5 @ 405 lbs. Did the following:

1x5 @ empty bar

1x4 @ 225

1x3 @ 315

1x1 @ 405

3x5 @ 405

I wanted to get 2 more sets in, but I was so dead and couldn't catch my breath - this past week, either I'm starting to get sick or my asthma is getting worse, and either way I'm not too pleased with it. I feel like I can only get about 60-70% of my full lung capacity the past few days, like I only take half-breaths instead of getting full use of my lungs. If it isn't improving by Friday I'll head to the doc and see what it might be. So, dumping squats after the 3rd set, I did 2 quick sets of Zercher squats, starting from the top position, bottom position being with bar hitting thighs as low as possible:

1x5 @ 225

1x3 @ 315

Again, airflow was bad, breating way too heavily for the effort, stopped there instead of going for 405 as I'd considered.

Last, with 5 minutes left I tossed in 3 quick sets of close-grip benching, hands about 10-12" apart, paused for 1 second at the chest done for speed. 1 warm-up of 5 reps @ 135, then 3 work sets at 225 for doubles and that was it. I was too damned tired and time was out, but hopefully Thursday's workout will be better and I'll feel more alive (and will actually be able to breathe again!)

Ryan

Back workout day today! Got to the gym with only 35 minutes, so I had to do half there and half at home, but it all worked out in the end.

At the gym, did the following:

Barbell rows -

1x5 @ 135

1x5 @ 225

3x7 @ 275

All rows done with no cheating by raising my torso angle upward or by having an angle that's not close to parallel with the floor (I can't stand it when people claim to row "heavy" and do a 6 inch range of motion at a massive angle where they're standing more upright than bent over!)

Hammer Strength 1-arm pulldown machine

1x10 @ 135 lbs. for each arm separately

1x8 @ 160 lbs. " "

1x5 @ 185 lbs. " ", stripped weight off immediately after first 5 reps and did 12 more with each arm at a light 90 lbs. each.

Power cleans - did just 2 @ 225, didn't feel too good for them today so figured I'd move on.

Wrapped up at the gym with Hise shrugs in the power rack as follows -

1x10 @ 315

1x8 @ 405

1x6 @ 505

Time was up, so I headed home to wrap up in the basement gym for a last few sets.

Did thick bar DB rows (2" bar) - 2 sets of 12 reps each arm @ 110 lbs. total

Finished with IronMind Eagle Loop shrugs (weight on a loading pin) as follows -

2x20 @ 105 for each side

2x20 @ 130 for each side

With the loops there's no tiring of the grip, so that made it a bit better.

Wrapped up by making a home-made 4" thick handle sleeve for my already massive 3" handle dumbbell - I couldn't believe how hard it was just to lift 60 lbs. on it. The sleeve was made from a thick cardboard tube that we had left over after using a paper roll for packing at work, so it seemed like it'd be perfect for this. I'd like to eventually lift 100 lbs. with it, but that'd be an incredible feat. We'll see how far I can take it over time!

Saturday I'll be doing strongman training with some local guys - farmer's walks, log presses and stone lifting are on the agenda, should be a fun time. Back to report after it is done!

Ryan

Hey Ryan, 4 of us have run into that problem. I'm not sure what the "bug" or "glitch" is, and don't know much about computers.

So I suggested to the other guys, write it here first and copy it and paste it somewhere else. I found that writing "fresh" articles works just fine.

In this certain section, for some reason, it doesn't like copy and paste material.

I'd love to see your training log so try writing a fresh article here and see how it works.

Sorry about the problem, I'm looking into it.

-Robert

i don't mean to hijack the thread, but...

try putting code tags around things that copy n paste out of alignment.

if that's the problem.

like this

i don't mean to hijack the thread, but...

try putting code tags around things that copy n paste out of alignment.

if that's the problem.

like this

Hi Jza, it's not an alignment problem. This forum randomly rejects posts with pasted text. When the submit button is pressed, it takes you to the main page of veganbodybuilding.com, kicing you out of the forum completely and not posting your text. Any other ideas? It would be cool to get it fixed.

i think the problem is due to spacing issues.

phpBB won't let you use a double space between words etc.

try it and see.

it edits out the extra spaces.

try putting the code tags around a cut n' paste post you're trying to make.

i also passed this on to a more learned friend in these matters, so hopefullyhe can steer the admin towards a patch/upgrade thingy that remedies it.

i do like the space between posts on this board, it means that those larger hotlinked avatars don't throw tha whole thread out.

anyways, enough of that, back to your journal.

Failed to meet up for strongman training today due to unforseen schedule conflict, so I hit the gym for a quick 30 minute deadlift session to break myself back into doing them again regularly.

Warmed up a bit, then hit a re-introduction style workout:

1x5 @ 135

1x5 @ 225

1x3 @ 315

3x5 @ 405

2x1 @ 435

I couldn't believe how tired my lower back was again after neglecting do to deadlifts for so long - I had to keep sitting down every minute while resting because it hurt just to keep my torso upright with how drained I was. Needless to say, this is a slap in the face since I used to do DLs or variations of them 2-3x / week and feel great every time. Looks like I just have to stop being lazy and get back on them regularlay!

Did a few last minutes good mornings in there as well, but I was destroyed and didn't have much left in me -

1x5 @ 135

1x5 @ 225

1x5 @ 300

Attempted 350, too tired to get back upright

1x2 @ 300

1x3 @ 225

I ached so badly afterward that I didn't know if I'd make it back to my car, but somehow I managed Now, to get those DLs to where 500 is a snap again, but I'll need about 8 weeks of re-training them to get there. Soon it will come!

Tomorrow will be a minor strongman training session in my backyard - going to do some stone lifting for reps and some log work for reps in the garage if it keeps raining, and I'll post afterward!

Ryan