Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1322 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72 ... 89  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ryan's "Coming back strong" Log
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:21 pm 
Gorilla

You are a beast dude.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:41 pm 
Stegosaurus

Thanks, MattSxvx - I'm still a long way from the "glory days", but here's to hoping that once I figure out how to exist in a manner that doesn't keep aggravating injuries, that my best lifting is still to come! :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:46 pm 
Gorilla

I have been having that problem as well. Dislocated shoulders, partially torn MCL etc...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:56 pm 
Stegosaurus

MattSxvx wrote:
I have been having that problem as well. Dislocated shoulders, partially torn MCL etc...

Tell me about it! Injuries suck, but the one good thing about getting older is that I'm finally wise enough to understand that I can't just keep training through everything that happens :wink: A lesson learned late, but better late than never!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:26 pm 
Stegosaurus

NYE light leg day training along with some easy chest work -

Flat BB bench -
1x5 @ 135 lbs.
1x3 @ 185
1x5 @ 220, 225, 230, 235, 240
Definitely not feeling back to speed with these after the first session, usually takes a month to get the groove back.

Hip Belt squats with weight hanging from loading pin, done standing on two stacks of plates about 16" tall (with hanging weight on pin between two stacks for full ROM reps to parallel)
3x20 @ 135 lbs., very easy going light with the hip belt
1x20 @ 185
1x20 @ 225, just starting to take some effort at this weight with high reps
Just learning how to use the hip belt squat setup, a bit tricky at times, but pain-free on the lower back and definitely gave the legs a bit of work, albeit light. Might try to set up with a barbell next time, just to see if it works a bit more easily than via loading pin.

Close-grip flat BB bench -
3x25 @ 135 lbs.

Glute/Ham raises -
3x25 @ bodyweight

Short and simple for last night, was pretty tired but I'm committed to getting stuff back on track again, so no excuses not to make it. Good news as well, left knee that was giving me trouble this past fall barely hurt after the hip belt squats last night and is 99% pain-free today, so hopefully the time off really let things heal up for whatever it was that had been giving me trouble. If it does hurt again like it did before, though, it'll finally be time to get it checked out, fingers crossed that it was only a small issue that will work itself out with more time and careful training. I'm not going to keep doing the same old "I'm starting to get my strength back, so screw the injuries, let's keep going!" stuff - this is definitely the year to swallow ego and get healthy so I'm not wheelchair bound by the time I hit 40 in just over 2 years, so it will be light lower body work for months to come until I get the knee and lower back pain under full control. Once the injuries aren't haunting me, THEN it'll be time to push harder than ever, but for now, slow and steady!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:51 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome back to the Iron Game! Was it fun searching for your journal with all these new journals about? I updated mine this morning, went to the gym and then couldn't find it. It was already down at the bottom of the page after a few hours! :)

Keep after it!

All the BEST in the New Year!

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:40 pm 
Stegosaurus

Glad to be back, Robert! Yeah, only a few days and already my journal was at the bottom of page 2, definitely the most activity I've seen in a long time! :)

Upper back and shoulder work last night -

Barbell rows in rowing rack setup -
1x5 @ 135 lbs.
1x5 @ 225
3x8 @ 265

Standing strict overhead press w/ 2" diameter axle -
1x10 @ 55 lbs. (empty axle)
1x5 @ 85 lbs.
1x3 @ 145 lbs.
10x3 @ 200 lbs., felt easier than expected, first 5 sets felt like I could have hit 5-6 reps on each. I guess I can always count on my shoulder strength keeping up even if it gets neglected for a month or two!

Hammer Strength Iso-Lateral plate-loaded pulldown machine -
1x10 @ 100 lbs. plus green bands (about 120 lbs. at start, 200 lbs. at finish of each pull)
1x10 @ 150 " " (170/250)
1x10 @ 200 " " (220 / 300)
Testing to see where I need to keep weight set with the bands attached for desired reps. First set, weight flew up like it was nothing, 2nd set just a bit of fight, 3rd set was just right, might have been able to get a few more, but reps were challenging enough!

Standing 1/3 overhead presses in new power rack (about 8" ROM from start of press to lockout) with axle -
1x15 @ 220 lbs.
1x18 " "
1x20 " "
Seemed to get into the groove better with each set, was able to add reps each time.

Seated cable row with V handle -
3x15 @ 220 lbs.

Seated cable pulldown "stretchers" with V-handle, pulling down to sternum -
3x25 @ 120 lbs.

Originally was planning on doing some light deadlifts tonight, but that workout taxed the heck out of me since I'm still getting used to training again, so one day off today and should be hitting it tomorrow or Friday!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:59 am 
Elephant

Def the year to health! Did you get a new power rack? Which one?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:30 am 
Rabbit

It is good to see you up here Ryan, I have been interested in seeing your training journal for a while, I have a powerlifting background. I am exited that you have had such great gains. I look forward to seeing how you progress.

Good luck to you
Steve

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:45 pm 
Elephant

Looking forward to watching your progress! Health and happiness in 2012!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:42 pm 
Stegosaurus

So many to reply to! :)

SeaSiren - during the month I didn't get to our facility (I'll try and get some updated pics online soon, it's evolving rapidly!), my business partner Kirk came across a used Hammer Strength ultra-tall rack that has almost 9 feet of inside clearance, meaning it's one of those rare racks where I can press iniside it and not slam into the top supports. I'm definitely liking it so far, but of course, Kirk stuffed it into the corner with the water heater, so I'm expecting that one day a loose plate will come crashing down on it and I'll be calling the emergency plumber for a quick fix...we'll see if disaster strikes in time, but at least we now have 4 power racks, so even if we've got a good sized crew training, we've got enough equipment!

Steve - Thanks for checking out the log! Always good to meet someone else who has a powerlifting background and loves throwing around heavy poundages. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that sooner or later, I'll be free of the injuries that have held me back for so long so that I can FINALLY work into competing again one day. For now, it's slow-and-steady, getting healthy and out of the rut of repeated injury is mission #1. Hope your training goes well, too!

And, finally, JohnV :) - Thanks much, I'm looking forward to following your progress this year as well, here's to hoping that 2012 is the best one yet!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:35 am 
Rabbit

I know about injuries and taking time to get back in, that is why I am looking forward to next year when I should be able to compete in a variety of events. Not the least of which is an MMA fight. My favorite saying on training is from Jerry Lynch "go slower, arrive sooner". Slow and steady is the best way to go. You are not that far from me, if you ever want another powerlifter to work out with you, drop me a line, I am always down for some open road and good company.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:07 am 
Elephant

Very sweet on your rack! You are not a little guy so I can see where you need the room. You had me laughing on the scenario! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:04 pm 
Stegosaurus

Thulpa - Yeah, I've learned that slow-and-steady is the way to come back now, all my attempts to rush things as soon as I felt my lifts were strong and starting to click again ended up with me being set back further than when I began. You'd certainly be welcome to come out and train sometime - we've got a 3000 sq. ft. facility with 24 hour access any time I need to go, but most of the time, my training starts no earlier than 9 PM or as late as 11 PM, so my odd hours don't always keep with the schedules most adhere to. But, I'm trying to get to where I'll start making the Saturday sessions that go on around 11 AM or noon (about a a half dozen pro and am strongmen get together to do event work, and a few of the powerlifters come in for their heavy equipped training), so this spring, I'll keep you posted for session times in case you're ever up for making the trek north!

Missed a few days due to poor scheduling for training and being too worn out at night, but got in last night for the new approach of going light and beltless to rebuild the lower back, as well as to do a little chest work on top of it -

Deadlifts -
1x5 @ 135 lbs.
5x10 @ 225 lbs., just starting very light and will be keeping it this way for a few months. No need to rush to lift heavy and risk getting hurt with my return, so it'll be light lower back work for quite a bit.

Flat barbell bench w/ 2" diameter axle -
1x5 @ 145 lbs.
1x3 @ 195
1x2 @ 235
1x1 @ 265
Put on Slingshot, since using it last fall really helped me to get my bench in a better place for a bit -
3x8 @ 270 lbs.
Was a fight on sets 2 and 3, not feeling strong right now but it'll happen in a few weeks with consistent benching.

Romanian deadlifts -
3x20 @ 135 lbs.
Again, sticking light, even if it feels like I'm practically using an empty bar

Incline semi-close grip barbell bench (hands about 3" outside of torso width) -
3x5 @ 180 lbs., 1 second pause on chest each rep

Hammer Strength plate-loaded shrug machine -
3x50 @ 275 lbs., nice and easy endurance shrugging

Horizontal banded bench press setup (old plate-stack macine that now has band pegs to add resistance) -
3x20 w/ two purple and one orange band, felt like around 75 lbs. at start and around 150 lbs. at finish of press, all reps done for speed

Nothing complicated, might just get back to lifting again tonight if I can get out of work for a bit!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:39 am 
Rabbit

Thanks, I will send you a PM with my real email and info for training, I am not going to lie, I am looking forward to heading out there when the area thaws. I have a shift work job and lots of people who owe me favors, so I can head out there anytime, and travel back early in the AM or the next day.

Glad you are taking it slow, you will make your gains in time.
Good to getting on a work Schedule
Steve

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1322 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72 ... 89  Next