Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 472 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:22 pm 
Elephant

I had a crappy sleep last night and some leg pain through the night (I'm thinking phantom pain, because there was no reason why I should have had any) so I figured to be on the safe side, I'd postpone the long run till tomorrow. I did do 10k in 53 minutes though, just to make sure everything was ok.

Yesterday I did 1/2 hour of yoga and some arm weights. I've upped my weights from 50 to 60 pounds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:35 pm 
Elephant

So I did 26km today. It was... interesting. I really don't know what the hell had gotten into people. I saw about 25 runners (my route included going up and down the canal, which is heavily trafficked by runners) and maybe 1/4 made eye contact, which was really unusual; typically everyone is friendly and waves, or at least nods. But not today.

I also almost got hit by two cars who didn't bother to check the sidewalks as they pulled out of parking lots onto the road, and there were several people who simply would NOT share the sidewalk so I body checked them on the way by. It was possibly the most hostile run I've ever had. But, the weather was pretty good, and the conditions on the roads/sidewalks were ok.

I am starting physiotherapy on Wednesday, so we'll see if they tell me I have to stop, cut back, or whatever. I am not looking forward to this. If they make me stop I'll probably end up depressed beyond belief because running is so good for my mental health.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:08 pm 
Weird...maybe it was everyone prepping for their new year's resolution to be distant to strangers.

How did the run feel???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:43 pm 
Rabbit

if they tell you to stop running but you liked body-checking stuff you could take up hockey
:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:44 pm 
She's Canadian..which means she plays hockey 8 hours a day anyway...if she says she doesn't its probably because she plays in her sleep.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:09 pm 
Elephant

veganpotter wrote:
Weird...maybe it was everyone prepping for their new year's resolution to be distant to strangers.

How did the run feel???

It felt ok. my groin didn't hurt, but I can sense it feels slightly different from one side to the other. By the time I got to 20 km my legs were getting sore, probably partly due to my run yesterday (which was at a faster tempo).

Quote:
if they tell you to stop running but you liked body-checking stuff you could take up hockey

Haha, yeah I can imagine what an intimidating presence I would be on the ice. :D I body check mostly because I don't have other options short of stopping and asking someone to please move. I usually figure since they look right at me, they're going to do the polite thing and NOT take up the entire sidewalk. :roll: I usually call out when I'm within a few seconds of them, but if they don't move then they get the full brunt of 108 pounds. ;)

Quote:
She's Canadian..which means she plays hockey 8 hours a day anyway...if she says she doesn't its probably because she plays in her sleep.

So you probably don't believe that I am completely disinterested in hockey? :) I just can't bring myself to care...

Plus, I'm usually doing other things (or people) in my sleep. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:07 pm 
I think that means your playing hockey and scoring goals on people in your sleep. Also you probably don't like it because you play too much when you're sleeping.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:18 pm 
Elephant

veganpotter wrote:
I think that means your playing hockey and scoring goals on people in your sleep. Also you probably don't like it because you play too much when you're sleeping.

I do enjoy goal scoring... ;)

I just did my usual upper body workout today. I was going to do yoga but my thighs feel a bit tight and yoga usually makes that a little worse.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:19 pm 
Scoring a lot is good because it can keep your mind off of the pain you may be in from training.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:53 am 
Elephant

I have good news and bad news.

The physiotherapist doesn't think it'll take long to correct my injury (minor hip mis-alignment). Apparently my right hip juts forward a bit more than the other side, which is why the hip flexor is strained.

But she also wants me to stop running for a bit, probably close to two weeks, to allow my body time to get realigned properly. She was trying to make it "pop" back into place, but couldn't this time. Once it does, I have to wait another five days before running. My next appt. is monday, so I'm hoping it pops then and I can get back to business.

When I was leaving I felt a pop in my hip, but I was too afraid to say anything since I had already cried in front of her over not being able to run. Well, she says I CAN run, but it will take longer to fix the problem.

So I can't go for the speed work training, possibly until February, because of the way it is set up. I am sorely disappointed about this. I have my duffel bag of stuff with me today because it was supposed to start tonight. I've e-mailed the coach to see if I can start mid-way through the month, but still pay for the whole month (as they make it very clear you can't pro-rate it.)

Apparently I can swim and bike, but I don't do either and have no interest in either, so it looks like I just won't do anything but yoga and lifting. I guess I'll have to stop eating as much too, because my metabolism will be slowed down.

I know two weeks isn't a big deal, but I'm feeling the seasonal affective disorder pretty strongly these days, so I'm not quite sure how I'm going to get through the next two weeks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:02 pm 
You'll be fine. Don't worry your gonna have better times than last year no matter what. As for the speedwork...really this just means you may wind up peaking for later races.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:46 pm 
Elephant

veganpotter wrote:
You'll be fine. Don't worry your gonna have better times than last year no matter what. As for the speedwork...really this just means you may wind up peaking for later races.

Thanks. If all goes well I will miss two speed work sessions only, so hopefully it won't set me back too much.

I did an upper body workout this morning (1/2 hour) and will do some yoga tonight. Tomorrow night we are going to go swimming and I will do some water running.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:20 pm 
Elephant

My plans to swim have now been thwarted two days in a row by the pool being closed unexpectedly. Hopefully I'll have better luck tomorrow.

Friday I did no exercise, and today I did a half hour walk and will follow up with 1/2 an hour of yoga and an upper body work out.

Tomorrow we plan to swim, and I may go for a walk again and/or do a core exercise workout. I am doing my physio stretches twice a day as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:17 pm 
Stegosaurus

That's the spirit Pamela
You can do it !
:heart:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:47 pm 
Rabbit

you should incorporate some more body-checking into your non-running training. :D

I hear that the really progressive physiotherapist recommed it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 472 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next