Daywalker's contest preparation log

Hi vegan friends

I've finally decided to compete at october 29th at the German Natural BB Championship Still feel i'm too far away from my mass potential, but will give it a shot.

That means, the next 7 weeks i'll have to cut a little while maintaining what mass i've got, and to create and practise a posing routine (that's always the hardest part).

In this log i'll keep posting what i've done so far.

Diet: no sweets, low carb after seven p.m. Still as much calories as i can eat though.

Workout: No weights until monday next week, i have to regenerate from the past 7 weeks of HST. Only cardio everyday.

From monday on, heavy weights everyday following HST principles, no cardio, for two weeks.

If anybody has a good idea what song i could use for the posing routine, give me a hint. It's got to be 85 to 90 seconds.

Cheers,

Daywalker

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Day 1.

I drove a few miles to visit an old friend and gym owner and ask him for his support. I'll be studying my posing with him, but today we only talked and planned that. Until wednesday i have to have the music, or i'll take the same as last time, can't afford to waste time on that now.

60min of cardio, stationary bike, 724 kcal.

If anybody has a good idea what song i could use for the posing routine, give me a hint. It's got to be 85 to 90 seconds.

Bodyrock by Moby

The song title and lyrics are fitting, plus Moby is vegan. The only thing is that it's longer than 90 seconds, maybe you could edit it to fade in/out and just keep the best 90 seconds of the song

Day 2.

45 minutes on the bike (not stationary, outside in the sun .

Evening 35min on the inclined treadmill (both as cardio and as calves exercise), 389 kcal. Would have done more (45min) but was too late and the gym closed

wtf! 60 minutes on the stationary bike burn 724 kcal

Hehe. That's what the machine said afterwards. It depends on the resistance you set and the rpm you kick. What the machine doesn't calculate is your bodyweight, muscle mass and other individual parameters, so the kcal. number is only the amount of work done. I use it as a parameter for my total amount of work done.

Will, thanks for the idea!

I checked the song, but it's not my type of music. I think i'll go either for classical rock or for hard'n'heavy rock. Swaying between Enya, Queen and The Prodigy at the moment

Cheers,

Daywalker

You betta work harder than that, foo! I'm catching you....

http://img366.imageshack.us/img366/6541/picture0195ym.jpg

I'm glad that you'll never compete on the same stage, in the same class as me!

Lelle: Bulls on parade? You must be joking...

Day 4:

50min on the bike.

Visited a friend to choose a song and then start posing, but we couldn't agree on one Today and tomorrow i'm gonna search a song, then on sunday i'll start posing, no matter how crap the music is

What kind of music... it should be energetic, not only instrumental, have a strong beat in the background, have some changes in the melody in it, and the judges should like it

Day 6:

Nothing Okay, i did bent-over dish-washing, and heavy-item carrying

And i spent about one zillion hours listening to music.

Day 7:

2h30min bike tour, though it was very slow and with stops.

TODAY i'm gonna go to the gym *sing* i'm gonna go ot the gym, i'm gonna go ot the gym, i'm gonna go ot the gym!

My plan is the following:

Split A (exercise/reps):

Bench press, 12.

Incline bench dumbell flies, 10.

Dips, 10.

Barbell press (standing), 8.

Upright row, 8.

Squats, 12.

Calves (standing machine), 12.

Crunches.

Split B:

Pull ups, pronated grip, 12.

Bent-over row, supinated grip, 12.

Stiffed leg deadlift, 12.

T-Bar row, pronated grip, 8.

Preacher curls, 8.

Barbell shrugs, 10.

Dumbell pull-overs, 10.

Calves (seated), 12.

Abs machine, 12.

There we go Starting today with 80% of my 1RM, then increasing the weight every workout until close to 100%, but not quite. Workout every day for 12 days, so every split 6 times.

Day 8:

Pull ups: +30kg: 4, 4, 4 reps (was harder than i thought)

Bent-over row: 90kg: 6, 6

Stiffed leg deadlift: 130kg: 6, 6

T-Bar row: haven't done for ages, had to test the weight today, so i did: 60kgx8 (very easy ) 70x6, 75x4. So 75 would have been the right weight for today.

Preacher curls: Didn't do them for a while, so started below 80% at 35kg for 8 reps. But will replace it by standing Z-bar curls next workout, due to a sting in the shoulder today.

Barbell shrugs: 140kg: 4, 6.

Dumbell pull-overs: Realized that the dumbells only go up to 40kg, so replaced it with Z-bar. 30kg for 10 reps today.

Calves (seated): +90kg for 12 reps.

Abs machine: 50kg for 12 reps.

Was all quite easy at this point. Only my shoulders trouble me, since i dislocated them both last week they hurt at some movements I hope the bench press will be okay tomorrow

Preacher curls: Didn't do them for a while, so started below 80% at 35kg for 8 reps. But will replace it by standing Z-bar curls next workout, due to a sting in the shoulder today.

Abs machine: 50kg for 12 reps.

i thought that you said that you didnt do isolation work!?

it would be cool if after your contest you gave the strength work a proper bash again (refering to you wishing you did more on VF)! you gotta use those monster pecs and back muscles to give us some heavy benching and straight leg deads! you are only 5kg off 500kg i should remind you. if you made it, on the strength table there would be 6people with totals over 500kg and 16 with totals over 400kg

jonathan

i thought that you said that you didnt do isolation work!?

Hey Jonathan

Not quite I said isolation exercises are inferior for building mass and strength It depends on the program i use. In this program, pre-contest, i wanted a bicep exercise for the following reasons:

- I need it at least psychologically for my arms

- I need my arms to be in top-shape, as i think they are my weak point. I'm running low on calories at the moment, so any muscle not used is prone to atrophy.

- And i wanted an exercise more on that day.

About the abs: i don't think crunches and such are really isolation exercises. Okay, the machine is, but that exercise is completely new to me. The machine has the advantage that i can raise the load, therefore it's in this program.

it would be cool if after your contest you gave the strength work a proper bash again (refering to you wishing you did more on VF)! you gotta use those monster pecs and back muscles to give us some heavy benching and straight leg deads! you are only 5kg off 500kg i should remind you. if you made it, on the strength table there would be 6people with totals over 500kg and 16 with totals over 400kg

Actually i hope that in spite of the diet, i can improve my strength a little with this intense modified HST program. At day 12 i'll be doing 12 reps with 120kg or 122,5kg on the bench (if it works as planned...), after that, i might be able to push my PB a bit further

Anyway, after the comp i plan to do a strength cycle again, and after that another, and another

At the moment, i'm too far away to improve my total by other means than the bench, but i reckon it won't take too long until i can deadlift a reasonably heavy weight again So the last word is not spoken yet :lol

Thanks for the comment

I'm really looking forward for the workouts the next days

love and peace,

Daywalker

No no, not in one set! 12 reps in total! Tomorrow i start with 100kg for 12 reps, probably i'll be doing two sets with 6 reps each. The key is to avoid muscle failure. Two days later i'll be benching 105kg, say, 5, 4, 3 reps. Then on saturday 110kg for maybe 4, 3, 3, 2 reps. You get the idea. It's modified HST.

The 120 will be heavy, so i'll probably end up doing 12 sets

Day 9:

What a day!

The workout was ... unique

Ten days ago, i had sub-luxated both my shoulders I was afraid i wouldn't be able to bench press without luxating them again.

Bench press: Started with 20kg, the bar only. Went well, no pain, no snapping. 40kg, slight sting in the right shoulder. 60kg, slight sting in both shoulders. 80kg, terrible pain in both shoulders, though the weight felt very easy i had to fight for every rep. I almost quitted, but then i thought of the competition, and that the weight itself felt easy, it was only pain. Pain is only a feeling, but i was still afraid of the 100kg to snap my shoulders. So i did 100kg: 5, 4, 3 reps. Was very angry with me. I couldn't do other than ultra slow reps on the down-movement, then normal speed up. My shoulders burnt and i considered being smart after every rep, but then again, at least they didn't snap.

What made me even more angry that i was wearing my "Vegan Fitness Team" Shirt and then i was making sounds and face as if the few reps 100kg was heavy as hell But it was only the pain, damn.

I really was pissed and saw all my hopes for the competition floating down the gutter My shoulders were really uncomfortably hurting after the bench.

Next exercise, incline bench dumbell flies. I was anxious if i could do it without pain, and i could! No pain, nothing. If the shoulders don't get better, i'll have to replace the bench press by flies until the comp and afterwards heal my shoulders.

Dips:

As with the flies, i was afraid, but the dips worked well But after the super slow bench, the 35kg strapped on felt quite heavy, so i did 4, 5, 1 reps

Barbell press:

This brought me down again. The empty bar for warm-up was okay, but then the 50kg literally stopped me. I did a clean but was completely unable to press it up. My shoulders just refused to press, i was paralyzed After some low kicks at the power cage and angry mutters to myself ( i kept thinking it's only the pain, it's nothing serious, my shoulders are okay) i tried again and managed 2 slow reps. I must have looked like i was being tortured while going for a one rep max Then i dropped the weight to 40kg and did 3 slow reps, but then it was over. Impossible to go on

Upright row:

Easy going, painless 10 reps with 40kg (2 extra reps to compensate the lacking reps in the press). So if anything else fails, i still can do dips, flies and upright row

Squats:

The best part of the workout. My knee didn't hurt (almost - after the agony of my shoulders it was nothing) so i did very easy 7 and 5 reps with 115kg for a 12 rep total. Could have done 12 in one set but didn't want to exaggerate, i just did slow and perfect form today.

Calves:

Standing machine: 110kg for 12 reps, 5 seconds loaded stretching after each rep. Then 30 seconds stretching.

Abs:

Crunches and lateral crunches and such stuff.

After the workout i was really in bad mood, as you can imagine. My shoulders were still hurting.

But THEN i drove to meet a gym owner i know, i had made an appointment with him to get his advice for the competition (he's a real pro coach). He was so enthusiastic and optimistic, he really cheered me up! He gave me tons of great advice! And he was overwhelmed by my shape He agreed to study the posing routine with me, he and his wife (who is Ms. Universe by the way! )

When i left his gym 90minutes later, i was completely turned around, optimistic and ready to kick ass at the contest And now i even know how!

What a day, really!

Now i'm gonna buy a scale for weighing my food, and then i'll write a diet-log.

Have a great time, everybody,

love and peace,

Daywalker

I'm excited. I hope going up there works out

I'm sure it will!

Even though i don't post here (in the log-section) often, i still read your post. I think i'll also inculde what i ate in my log.

Have a great time,

love and peace,

Daywalker

I always chekc your training journal when you update too. It'll be good to see your food log on it!

Day 9:

(i forgot to mention the usual warm-up: 10min on the stationary bike, and then some light sets at the beginning of every exercise).

Pull ups, 12 reps: +35kg; 4, 4, 4.

Barbell row, 12 reps: 95kg; 6, 6.

Deadlift (stiff legs), 12 reps: 135kg; 6, 6.

T-Bar, 8 reps: 80kg; 5, 3.

Z-Bar curls, 8 reps: 45kg; 5, 3*.

Barbell shrugs, 10 reps: 150kg; 5, 5.

Z-Bar pull-overs, 10 reps: 40kg; 10.

Calves, eated machine, 12 reps: 95kg, 12.

Ab-machine, 12 reps: 55kg, 12.

It was all easy except for the pull-ups, which felt quite heavy.

*Had to do 5, 3 instead of 8 because of shoulder pain, i didn't want to push that today

Thanks Will

Here, extra for you, what i ate today (without exact grams, i still need to buy a scale..):

After getting up: 1 apple, 1 pear. Half an hour later 1 kiwi. 45min later self-made muesli containing: spelt flakes, spelt crunch, cornflakes, raisins (few), sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, walnuts (few) and soymilk.

Cooked brown rice with pumpkin, red beans, tofu and soy. Two hours later the same.

Workout.

Pea-proteinshake (has also carbs and fatty acids in it, it's more like a high-protein meal replacement).

3 soy dogs.

Day 10:

Same routine as tuesday again.

Bench press: Instead of increasing the weight to 105kg, i decided to try 102,5, which shouldn't feel different from 100 But my shoulders brought me to stop after two singles. I think i need to give the time to cure, and do dips and stuff instead

Flies: 12 reps* with 18kg.

Dips: 4, 3, 3, 2 reps with 40kg.

Barbell press: reduced the weight to 40kg so i was able to do 5 and 5 slow reps

Upright row: 8 and 4 reps* with 45kg.

Squats: comfortable 6 and 6 reps with 120kg.

Calves: Standing machine, 120kg for 6 and 6 reps, loaded stretching between each rep for 5, and between the sets for 30 seconds.

Abs: Side crunches mainly.

Diet:

1 apple.

Self-made muesli: Brown rice, spelt flakes, spelt crunch, cornflakes, raisins (few), sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, walnuts (few) and unsweetened soymilk.

(Workout.) 250ml (~one cup) soymilk.

Brown rice with pumpkin and tomatoes.

2 soy dogs.

1 soy dog and 1 cup of soymilk.

Now it's gonna be some peanuts and later probably a salad.

Day 11:

Pull-ups: 40kg for 3, 2, 2, 2, 2, 1 reps.

Barbell row: 100kg for 4, 4, 4 reps.

Deadlift (stiffed leg): 140kg for 4, 4, 4 reps.

T-Bar: 85kg for 4, 4 reps.

Z-Bar curls: 50kg for 4, 4 reps (i'm gonna replace that exercise next workout. It's no good for my shoulders, the only exercise in this workout that hurts them).

Barbell shrugs: 155kf for 4, 4, 2 reps.

Pull-overs: 45kg for 10 reps.

Calves (seated): 100kg for 5, 7 reps.

Abs machine: 60kg for 6, 6 reps.

I did short breaks between most sets (~60 seconds).

Day 12:

Replaced the barbell bench press by dumbell bench press, i wanted to see if that's better for my shoulders. Unfortunately, the heaviest dumbells are only 40,5kg. But for today, i did 31kg for 10 reps (easy) and decided to try the next heavier ones, 36,5kg. They were just a bit to heavy for my sulking shoulders, so i did 5 reps before i stopped.

Inclined bench dumbell flies: 22kg for 10 reps.

Dips: 45kg for 1, 2, 2, 1, 1, 1 reps. It was much heavier than i expected I did only singles to avoid too much exhaustion or muscle failure, and kept the breaks short.

Barbell press: Didn't increase the weight today, wanted to rest my shoulders a bit. 40kg for 5, 8 reps.

Upright row: 47,5kg for 6, 6 reps (i do 12 reps total instead of the planned .

Squats: 125kg for 3, 5, 4 reps. Easy, short breaks

Calves, standing: 130kg for 6, 6 reps.

Abs: Crunches.

After the workout: Just a little Tiramisu to give me my strength back

The workouts have reached the state of getting heavy Can't wait until tomorrow, when it's back day again

Cheers,

Daywalker

Ahh, cool workot

Day 13:

Pull-ups: 42,5kg for 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 1, 1, 1 reps. (yes, that's 13 not 12 Very short break, ~45 seconds, between the singles only 10. I wanted to keep the form strict, therefore i did singels in the end)

Barbell row: 105kg for 4, 4, 4 reps.

Deadlift (stiffed leg): 145kg for 4, 3, 5 reps.

T-Bar: 90kg for 3, 3, 2 reps.

Dumbell-curls on the inclined bench: Yes! I finally found th perfect biceps exercise to complete this routine It stretches the bicep AND doesn't hurt the shoulder I did 12kg for 6, the 14,5kg for 8 reps. Next time it's gonna go up

Barbell shrugs: 160kg for 4, 3, 3 reps.

Pull-overs: 50kg for 5, 5 reps.

Calves (seated): 105kg for 5, 7 reps.

Abs machine: 65kg for 4, 4, 4 reps.

I did short breaks between most sets (~60 seconds, some slightly longer, some shorter.).

Did i ever mention that i just love bodybuilding before? Yes? Oh, okay...

Day 14:

Dumbell bench press: 36.5kg for 7, 7 reps (increased reps for compensation of the light weight. 7 reps is still easy, but i'm glad that my shoulders are actually recovering inspite of the heavy training)

Inclined Flies: 7, 5 reps with 24kg.

Dips: 5 sets of 2 reps with 47,5 kg, ~40 seconds break.

Barbell press: 45kg for 6 and 5 reps.

Upright row: 50kg for 4, 4 reps.

Squats: 130kg for 4, 4, 4 reps.

Calves: Standing machine, 130kg for 6 and 6 reps, loaded stretching between each rep for 5, and between the sets for 30 seconds.

Abs: Crunches, side crunches mainly.